Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What feats are best for a Henshin Mystic monk? (Read 3988 times)
Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

What feats are best for a Henshin Mystic monk?
Feb 8th, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
I'm planning out my third life. I played a PDK throwaway with 14 monk levels/1 fighter, and even with a trash ml3 quarterstaff I had a lot of fun. But I find that I have a few feat slots open, and I don't know what I should do.

This is my current plan:
     Henshin Mystic Feat
1      Stunning Blow
1H      Cleave
1M      Power Attack
2M      THF
6      Great Cleave
6M      
9      ITHF
12      Improved Critical Bludgeoning
15      GTHF
18      Toughness
21      Overwhelming Critical
24      Epic Toughness
27      Blinding Speed
30      Astral Plane
     Epic Destiny Feats
26      Perfect Two Handed Fighting
28      Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
29      Dire Charge

As far as I can see in terms of abilities, I have three options. I can go 18 wis, 16 str and con, and get a +1 str tome before I TR. Or I can go 16 wis, str, and con, and raise int to 14. Then I can take Combat expertise and improved trip.

But again, I'm not sure of what I should do.
Please advise.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Re: What feats are best for a Henshin Mystic monk?
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I’m assuming that you're going to wear the Legendary Animated Rope, so I’d try to fit Dodge in there.  (Unless you have all your Shadar Kai lives done.)  Probably as a level 18 feat with tomes.

Dodge Bonus
+17% - Enhancement (Animated Rope)
+06% - Flurry
+03% - Acrobatic
+04% - Scion
+01% - Blinding Speed
------------------
+31% - The Dodge feat will get you to +34% to match your Dodge Cap

Dodge Cap
+25% - Base
+02% - Boat Buff
+03% - Agility
+04% - Scion
------------------
+34%

Sneak of Shadows could be pretty nice on a Henshin Mystic.  3 minutes of +14 SA damage with a god awful amount of Melee Power seems worth it.

Weapon Focus Bludgeon will net you a +1 to hit and 2 more Melee Power.  The other Weapon Focus feats will give you +2 Melee Power.

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I don't really have epic gear. This is going to be my third life. My first was a sorc that I TR'd as soon as I could. My current life is a warlock who I will epic TR then HTR.

I am currently grinding Epic Destinies while trying to get an upgraded Quiver of Alacrity and a 45 HP Triple Air Greensteel Cloak. I already have the Garments of Equilibrium, the Staff of Shadow, and am planning to Cannith Craft some quarterstaffs (I am at level 120 in crafting).

I also don't really have access to tomes, but I'm only level 24. I would like to run Fire on thunder's peak.

If I'm taking Blinding Speed (I don't really see any other good Epic Feat for a monk), I'll be running in Water or Fire Stance.

I don't have past life rogue. Is a deception item worth it if I put some points into Ninja Spy for the 25% incorporeality?

Thank you for your advice.
Edit: Is stunning blow worth it? If I grab combat expertise, is KTA worth it? Is improved trip good?
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2017 at 2:37pm by Arganthonius »  

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Okay, Revised Version
Starting Stats
Stats      
Str      16
Dex      8
Con      16
Int      14
Wis      16
Cha      8

First Level up in Str unless I find a +1 Str tome or better, all other level ups in Wisdom

Feats
     Henshin Mystic Feat
1      Cleave
1H      Power Attack
1M      Two Handed Fighting
2M      Combat Expertise
3      Stunning Blow
6      Great Cleave
6M      Improved Trip
9      ITHF
12      IC: Bludgeoning
15      GTHF
18      Toughness
21      Overwhelming Critical
24      Epic Toughness/Improved Martial Arts
26      Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
27      Blinding Speed
28      Elusive Target
29      Dire Charge
30      Scion of the Astral Plane

Enhancements            
Henshin Mystic            
Cores      All      6
Tier 1      Henshin Staff Training, Elegant Crane, Elemental Words      5
Tier 2      Quick Strike III, Elemental Words, Henshin Staff Training, Unbalancing Strike      7
Tier 3      Henshin Staff Training, Elemental Words, Wisdom      5
Tier 4      Henshin Staff Training, Elemental Words, Wisdom      5
Tier 5      All      8
Shintao            
Cores      1      1
Tier 1      Reed in the Wind 3, Exemplar 1      4
Tier 2      Iron Skin 3, Smite Tainted Creature,      5
Tier 3      Jade Strike, Wisdom      4
Tier 4            
Tier 5            
Ninja Spy            
Cores      1,2,3      3
Tier 1      Acrobatic 3, Sneak Attack Training      5
Tier 2      Agility 3, Sneak Attack Training      5
Tier 3      Sneak Attack Training, Flash Bang 3, Wisdom      7
Tier 4      Sneak Attack Training, No Mercy, Wisdom      10
Tier 5            

Keeping in mind I don't really have any really good gear, is this a decent build?
Edit: The biggest weakness I can see is the lack of Jade Tomb. Trip/Improved Trip doesn't render enemies helpless. The real question is whether it's better to have No Mercy or another helplessness ability. And whether Flash Bang will be useful. But with Cleave and Great Cleave, even if I can only get a 50% success rate on either the blind or daze, it should still be worth 3 AP, right?
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2017 at 2:34pm by Arganthonius »  

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
What server are you on? If I have any +1 or 2 tomes I didn't turn into essences already I can send them. Rare they ain't and I've always been a hoarder. If you aren't on Khyber, just get to 1750 favor and get a STR tome as the favor reward.

Try to fit Dodge in if you can - I would take it over Improved Trip. It will take an extra point of Dex (could come from a tome or redistribution of build points) but you're going to have a hard time reliably tripping in my opinion.

If you want all 6 Henshin Cores you need to spend 5 more action points in the tree, meaning you need to reduce points in the other trees.

For gear you can do lots worse than lootgen filled in with Cannith Challenge (not crafted) items while you target specific items. For instance check out the Ring of the Stalker and Frozen Tunic in particular. Also one easily farmed ML8 item that's really under appreciated but you will find useful is the Heroic Symbol of the Slave Lords - True Seeing, +2 Insightful Con, Dusk and two augment slots, plus often a Mythic bonus.

The eternal question is what you really are trying to do. For just going around and hitting things with a stick (a noble cause) it looks fine. It would probably be nice and survivable except on the absolute hardest content. But monks suffer from jack of all trades syndrome. Good damage, defenses and other capabilities but not nearly the best at anything.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I'm not on Khyber, and I already claimed my +2 tome on this character.

I don't really like the Cannith Challenges. Is there some build that can farm ingredients easily?

Dodge requires 13 dex and i'm starting out with 8, should i reassigning the points from int to dex? If so, what should feat should I swap out combat expertise with? Mobility for extra dodge, or what?

In that case I'll give up The Tier 3 and 4 Ninja Spy Enhancements, and put some more points into Shintao for the Jade Tomb, possibly experimenting with Flash Bang to see if it's fun/good.

I'm trying to make a build that I'll have a lot of fun playing. For me, that means running into groups of enemies, ccing them and crushing them with AOE attacks.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Arganthonius wrote on Feb 10th, 2017 at 3:19pm:
I don't really like the Cannith Challenges. Is there some build that can farm ingredients easily?

Monk. Because speed. Any class that gets DDoor, because DDoor.

Run Buying Time exclusively. Do Not Buy Time. Ever. Get the goal (or fail) & let the time run out. Repeat. Plant a hireling in the center if you're feeling nice. Solo it, because no matter how much you stress it, everyone always buys more time like a goddamn fucktard.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
What's so great about not buying time? Do you get an extra boost from automatic star completion?

Also that will only get me a single kind of ingredient. I know you can convert them, but surely there is another good challenge to minimize losses from conversion?

I might run a human barbarian with Dragonmark of Passage for that, since 10% boost and sprinting seems good.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Arganthonius wrote on Feb 10th, 2017 at 6:10pm:
What's so great about not buying time?

You don't really like the Challenges. Do you want to spend more time in them? 5 minutes takes only 5 minutes if you don't buy time. By happy coincidence, it also makes the most efficient farm. Yeah, some ingredients will be better to get from their primary source. But not many.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Feb 10th, 2017 at 5:16pm:
Monk. Because speed. Any class that gets DDoor, because DDoor.

Run Buying Time exclusively. Do Not Buy Time. Ever. Get the goal (or fail) & let the time run out. Repeat. Plant a hireling in the center if you're feeling nice. Solo it, because no matter how much you stress it, everyone always buys more time like a goddamn fucktard.

I found Time is Money to be the slightly more efficient farm, if you are willing to first spend a minute noting where the circle spawn points off the big central cavern are.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 2:07pm:
I found Time is Money to be the slightly more efficient farm, if you are willing to first spend a minute noting where the circle spawn points off the big central cavern are.

You're right. I'd forgotten about that one, because I hate it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint