Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Oh, Fran (Read 18907 times)
Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Re: Oh, Fran
Reply #50 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:09am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 1:54pm:
Reaper 10 holds no fears for you guys

Here's the meat of the matter.

I haven't been scared in a game since the first shareware Doom; I know that's not what you meant, but no, there's no fear of Reaper 10 for us.  They declared war, and we accepted.  Maybe it's safe spots; maybe it's spamming earthquake, or a silver returner, or 150,000 res scrolls.  We'll beat it.

When you know the outcome, it's just a matter of getting there.

Half the people trolling you don't even play anymore, and they were never any good.  Focus on what you need to do to get better.

You can't twitch.  That's fine.  (You can't drive either; that's more concerning, but we'll work on it.  Maybe a move to Mexico or Italy is in your future.)  Build around your weaknesses.  For you, that's untimely dying when you solo.

You need con, and damage reduction.  All these DPS builds are great until you die.  The assumption is always that you're alive the entire time, and it's not entirely accurate.  The trick is to figure out how to tweak an idea until it works for you, right on the edge.  All you need is one goddamn hitpoint, as long as it's on the plus side.

Here's a pure sword&board paladin, level 7:

100 PRR, 60 MRR.  50 AC, some dodge, fort, whatever.  Even you can live with this.  DPS approaches 0 when you're dead.

Nobody will run it, because it's not max dps.  Assumptions, again.  5-Foot's good, but he's math, and he knows how to play.  You need to adjust these builds so you'll live.  Take something that looks interesting, and tweak the damage down and the surviving up.

Why are you dying?  Too much damage?  Need some DR and some P/MRR.  Getting held?  Up the saves.  Gang-raped by drow?  Don't jump in the middle so much.  Play to your weaknesses, not your strengths.

This whole thing just makes me pissed off at your guild more than anything.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #51 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Hey Fran, you err bhein meestakun fwor ah mahn?

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #52 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
[] wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:42am:
Hey Fran, you err bhein meestakun fwor ah mahn?

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:46am by FranOhmsford »  

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

LagMonsterrrrrr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 8:09am
Print Post  
LOL even Fran is making fun of princess.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #54 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
LagMonsterrrrrr wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 8:09am:
LOL even Fran is making fun of princess.

Princess demands it.

intelligence?
Princess < Fran < Travon Martin < jakee < Rubbins < God Emperor STRAKEMUTHAFUCKA~!
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:13am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #55 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:13am
Print Post  
with that level of intelligence at least travon had the wisdom to suicide by mexican

WE NEED THAT WALL STRAKE
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:14am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #56 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:09am:
Here's the meat of the matter.

I haven't been scared in a game since the first shareware Doom; I know that's not what you meant, but no, there's no fear of Reaper 10 for us.  They declared war, and we accepted.  Maybe it's safe spots; maybe it's spamming earthquake, or a silver returner, or 150,000 res scrolls.  We'll beat it.

When you know the outcome, it's just a matter of getting there.

Half the people trolling you don't even play anymore, and they were never any good.  Focus on what you need to do to get better.

You can't twitch.  That's fine.  (You can't drive either; that's more concerning, but we'll work on it.  Maybe a move to Mexico or Italy is in your future.)  Build around your weaknesses.  For you, that's untimely dying when you solo.

You need con, and damage reduction.  All these DPS builds are great until you die.  The assumption is always that you're alive the entire time, and it's not entirely accurate.  The trick is to figure out how to tweak an idea until it works for you, right on the edge.  All you need is one goddamn hitpoint, as long as it's on the plus side.

Here's a pure sword&board paladin, level 7:
http://ddotools.com/static/media/graphics/screenshots/hp.jpg
100 PRR, 60 MRR.  50 AC, some dodge, fort, whatever.  Even you can live with this.  DPS approaches 0 when you're dead.

Nobody will run it, because it's not max dps.  Assumptions, again.  5-Foot's good, but he's math, and he knows how to play.  You need to adjust these builds so you'll live.  Take something that looks interesting, and tweak the damage down and the surviving up.

Why are you dying?  Too much damage?  Need some DR and some P/MRR.  Getting held?  Up the saves.  Gang-raped by drow?  Don't jump in the middle so much.  Play to your weaknesses, not your strengths.

This whole thing just makes me pissed off at your guild more than anything.

+1

Many have attempted to do what you are trying to do.
May  you be the chosen one.

IP Logged

()
Special Attention

Hamster cocks expert

Reply #57 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:09am:
They declared war, and we accepted.  Maybe it's safe spots; maybe it's spamming earthquake, or a silver returner, or 150,000 res scrolls.  We'll beat it.

LOL. Do you realise how ridiculous sounds  that  Huh? Are you 12 yo or  just an  imbecile with no life?

To all the ladies in the place,
with style and grace;
allow me to lace this lyrical duces,
in your bushes

You are fucking pathethic  Smiley

Halfmaniac wrote on Nov 26th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
I'm pretty sure it is safe to say that KNN has brought a BUNCH of stupid from users on this forum out in the open

Halfmaniac wrote on Nov 26th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Some of you got baited real bad in an attempt to troll him back.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #58 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Well you guys are likely to see this on the main forums anyway so here you go - have a laugh on/at me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFP1gOxHLlM&feature=youtu.be

and Pt 2...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH_lgrwO5AI&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2017 at 2:28pm by FranOhmsford »  

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #59 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 2:20pm:
Well you guys are likely to see this on the main forums anyway so here you go - have a laugh on/at me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFP1gOxHLlM&feature=youtu.be

and Pt 2...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH_lgrwO5AI&feature=youtu.be

FRAN WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

Jesus Christ, man.  We're trying to help, and you come in with an int-based dwarf stick build?  Using level 7 gear?  I can't tell if you're pulling a prank, or some sick bastard is pulling one on you.

25 seconds in and I'm wondering how the video ends.  Probably with healbot running out of mana from rezzing you.  0 spell resist, 10 PRR, 1 MRR.  No UMD.

Flavour's fine - it's good - but your builds and playstyle don't align with your skill level.  At all.

You could probably cut down on your hotbars quite a bit, since you only pull the hireling, hit cleave trip, and drink a heal pot once in a while.

If you have ki, you're doing it wrong.  Your shit is MAXED OUT.  Just throw on some heavy armour and call it a day.  You see that #1 bar?  Why is nothing cycling?  Where's the rest of the shit?  Why are you in wind?  I'm enjoying these videos very much, but they're bizarre and perplexing.  Why did you even buy heal pots?  You're fifteen minutes in with three deaths before you even drink one.  You have pole vault.  Get the fuck out of there when you're at 10 hitpoints.  HIT SOME FUCKING KI MOVES.

What's your heal amp?  And heal?  Can you spare a couple of points from capping Spot to move over, maybe?  And SS your enhancements.  You'd have to be some kind of pinball wizard to drag this fucking thing through a bunch of renders.

Throw us a bone here, goddammit.  Help us help you.  This is fucking ridiculous.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #60 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Like, what's the thought process at 6 minutes in the second video?  You have busted-up gear, a healbot with no mana, half health with only CSW pots, full ki, and you go pick a fight with a champion hezrou?

Ctrl-6, 4.  It's fucking sitting right there.  You saving your ki for epics or something?

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #61 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:43pm:
Like, what's the thought process at 6 minutes in the second video?  You have busted-up gear, a healbot with no mana, half health with only CSW pots, full ki, and you go pick a fight with a champion hezrou?

Ctrl-6, 4.  It's fucking sitting right there.  You saving your ki for epics or something?

Yeah I made a mistake there - I couldn't actually see it was a champion though till too late.
But I was hoping I could get that last mob, crest and get to shrine because of course without DDoor I couldn't go back to the previous shrine.

And that shows how long it's been since I played a monk - I completely forgot I had healing ki.

Oh and as for the question about whether someone was playing a trick on me - https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/448158-TRd-in-a-Hurry-May-have-messed-...
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2017 at 4:12pm by FranOhmsford »  

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #62 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
One of the most obvious things to me that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere is that when you already are marginally skilled, spreading your time and effort across not just multiple characters but multiple servers isn't helping you at all. So much of the power and power creep in this game is based on the grind of past lives or the grind for gear. Every XP you're earning on one of your not-mains is an XP you should be earning on one of those mains.

Every minute you spend playing on another server is time you could be pulling better BTC gear on a main or BTA gear on your home server. Skilled players can overcome some of that through better reaction and behavior. You obviously can't.

So in no particular order you need to:
1) Modify your idiotic behavior from the videos - there are a ton of good tips
2) Improve your use of class abilities
3) Learn to fucking drive, noob
4) If being better is really important to you, focus on building a few better characters on one server as opposed to cross contamination of shitty play of lots of toons on every server. "I can't craft on that server so I've got shit gear" is an excuse to play where you can help yourself.

Seriously. There are things completely in your control and some things out of your control. Not being a pussy about driving is in your control. Your reaction speed isn't in your control. Better gear and past lives will give you more margin for error, and focusing on improving a few characters is the route to that margin for error.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #63 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Which is it? Wright or Ohmsford?

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #64 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:37pm:
No UMD.

25 UMD actually - Not enough for Heal scrolls at Lvl 18 no but not no UMD.

Flavour's fine - it's good - but your builds and playstyle don't align with your skill level.  At all.

Tbh that isn't really "my" build - I messed up and asked for help from the forums, that's what I ended up with.

You could probably cut down on your hotbars quite a bit, since you only pull the hireling, hit cleave trip, and drink a heal pot once in a while.

My hotbars mainly have stuff that I "might" need at some point rather than just stuff I use all the time.

If you have ki, you're doing it wrong.  Your shit is MAXED OUT.  Just throw on some heavy armour and call it a day.  You see that #1 bar?  Why is nothing cycling?  Where's the rest of the shit? 

Not sure what you mean by maxed out - What shit exactly is maxed out?

I have the Earth, Air, Fire, Water and finishing moves on my bar so that they're there when needed for the buffs {not sure where fists of light had gone though - Just moved it back to the bar.}.

Ki bolt is rubbish as far as I can tell but I've been trying to make use of it.

Why are you in wind? 

You know I'm not sure - A mix-up? A brainfart?

I'm enjoying these videos very much, but they're bizarre and perplexing.  Why did you even buy heal pots?  You're fifteen minutes in with three deaths before you even drink one. 

Well the 3 deaths wouldn't really have been stopped by drinking a CSW pot - I drink them when I have time to drink them and really they were there as a back up in case Merenon died and I wasn't able to get him back up quick.

You have pole vault.  Get the fuck out of there when you're at 10 hitpoints. 

Wish I'd thought of this use of Vault - Wing type abilities I suppose I've just put them down as for use in getting across big jumps rather than in combat.

I should probably start considering their use in combat scenarios too.

HIT SOME FUCKING KI MOVES.

Which ones?

They're not exactly adding huge amounts of dmg and the light one doesn't add any damage unless I'm fighting Undead {or did they change that when they updated monk?}.

What's your heal amp?

I have no idea - They still haven't added it to the character sheet have they?

I don't have any gear for it though atm.

And heal? 

Heal Skill - 6 total so basically no points in it.

Can you spare a couple of points from capping Spot to move over, maybe? 

Spot's not great either - It's at 40 atm {base 21, Ability 6, Effects 13}.

I'm not sure it's worth a Lesser Res when I'm only 4 ranks away from being able to TR the character and he's so messed up everywhere this life.

And SS your enhancements. 

Guessing these are messed up too but here you go...

You'd have to be some kind of pinball wizard to drag this fucking thing through a bunch of renders.

Yeah it's a broken character - I forgot how badly broken.

It's really only at Lvl 17 that I start having real trouble with Elite though - I muddle through up to that point.

Technomage wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:39pm:
Which is it? Wright or Ohmsford?

Ohmsford is the name of the main characters in Terry Brooks Shannara novels.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2017 at 7:50pm by FranOhmsford »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #65 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 7:42pm:
Ohmsford is the name of the main characters in Terry Brooks Shannara novels.

Ok.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #66 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Not sure what you mean by maxed out - What shit exactly is maxed out?

Your ki.  Use it.

They're not exactly adding huge amounts of dmg and the light one doesn't add any damage unless I'm fighting Undead {or did they change that when they updated monk?}.

Healing shield, ye nub.

Heal amp is listed when you hover over your hitpoints on the char sheet.

OK, rolled up a shadar-kai.  Wasn't sure your stats, so I went 13, 17, 13, 15, 14, 6.  Ship buffs.  Starter gear except for some pajamas with spell resist, and a Souleater from the AH, random deadly hat.  I just wanna be like you, since I consider you an authoritative source and have sought out and followed your advice on many occasions. 

Sorry for potato.  I'm not home (= overcompressed), and on the world's longest conference call so there's no sound either.  Level 15, obv.; 14 hire since they have deathward.  You'll get the basic idea.

I tried to emulate your Way of the Distracted Monkey drunken meandering jump in the middle of everything and randomly chase after different mobs style.  I don't normally play this way, and you shouldn't either, but whatever. 

Thief-Acrobat - Get Sly Flourish, maxed.  Max Staff Lunge - does more damage and it's an escape move.  No Mercy, maxed.  Spinning Staff Wall.  Dump Subtlety.  I don't like Trip Focus, but some people do.  *shrug*  Lose those dex upgrades.  Get Haste Boost so you can swing like a rabid squirrel on crack.  Use it.

Henshin - dump the DCs.  Get the ki regen in Contemplation.  Get rid of light the candle and grab the donkey punch one, whatever it's called.  Fists of Iron.  Unbalancing is good too, since you do sneak damage.  One in Henshin, one in Shintao.  Ki bolt's useless.  It's good for breaking crates you can't reach.

Shintao - Reed, maybe Difficulty if you'll ever use healing. Exemplar to get to 5.  Iron Skin.  Unbalancing.

Dunno what's left for points - I had a bunch fewer, so I don't have all that stuff.

Your sequence is Sly Flourish, Quick Strike, Light heal, Sweeping if it's off cooldown, Reed, Fists, Unbalancing, trip if it works, etc.  The cooldowns for Fists and Unbalancing are super short, so spam those until your cleaves are back.  Figure out whatever's easiest for you to handle on the keyboard, so you can just hit 1, 2, 3, and so on.  Be in mountain.  Hit Spinning Staff Wall and Haste as you're running in.  Be ready to Uncanny as needed.  Cleaves don't interrupt a finishing move, so light-light-light gives you a group heal (you'll see an example of that in the first spider fight).  Find a sheltering item and a spell resist thing.  Get 'em crafted if necessary.  Know your escapes - Staff Lunge gets you out of being surrounded, tumbling through mobs works too in the T-A core, and then vault to get the fuck away and drink your precious CSW pots.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #67 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:50pm
Print Post  

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #68 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:47am
Print Post  
spathic wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 5:51pm:
One of the most obvious things to me that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere is that when you already are marginally skilled, spreading your time and effort across not just multiple characters but multiple servers isn't helping you at all. So much of the power and power creep in this game is based on the grind of past lives or the grind for gear. Every XP you're earning on one of your not-mains is an XP you should be earning on one of those mains.

Every minute you spend playing on another server is time you could be pulling better BTC gear on a main or BTA gear on your home server. Skilled players can overcome some of that through better reaction and behavior. You obviously can't.

This was pointed out to him multiple times in previous threads.   As usual, he proceeded to offer up numerous excuses on why this advice wouldn't work for him, all of which essentially boil down to "that's not the build or how I want to play".

He rolls up multiple stupid, underpowered builds, doesn't bother to gear them up, then acts shocked and offended when they fail to solo content that is intended for strong, well-geared, multi-past life builds.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:49am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #69 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:57am
Print Post  
He still hasn't figured out he's getting trolled to shit? That's pretty dense.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #70 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:45pm:
Healing shield, ye nub.

This is going to sound dense but what and where is "Healing Shield"?

Heal amp is listed when you hover over your hitpoints on the char sheet.

It did get added to the character sheet then - OK My Current Heal Amp is 20.

OK, rolled up a shadar-kai.  Wasn't sure your stats, so I went 13, 17, 13, 15, 14, 6.  Ship buffs.  Starter gear except for some pajamas with spell resist, and a Souleater from the AH, random deadly hat.  I just wanna be like you, since I consider you an authoritative source and have sought out and followed your advice on many occasions. 

Sorry for potato.  I'm not home (= overcompressed), and on the world's longest conference call so there's no sound either.  Level 15, obv.; 14 hire since they have deathward.  You'll get the basic idea.

I tried to emulate your Way of the Distracted Monkey drunken meandering jump in the middle of everything and randomly chase after different mobs style.  I don't normally play this way, and you shouldn't either, but whatever. 

OK please calm down, there's no need for the personal attacks even if they are couched with a smile.

Thank you for at least trying to build a similar character to do your test on.

Having watched your video I'd like to state that I did NOT jump into the middle of those drow - In fact I was specifically avoiding jumping into the middle of those drow - I turned the corner, got their aggro and backed off each time, I then tried to spread them out through the tunnel so I could take on a few at a time.

Thief-Acrobat - Get Sly Flourish, maxed.  Max Staff Lunge - does more damage and it's an escape move.  No Mercy, maxed.  Spinning Staff Wall.  Dump Subtlety.  I don't like Trip Focus, but some people do.  *shrug*  Lose those dex upgrades.  Get Haste Boost so you can swing like a rabid squirrel on crack.  Use it.

Henshin - dump the DCs.  Get the ki regen in Contemplation.  Get rid of light the candle and grab the donkey punch one, whatever it's called.  Fists of Iron.  Unbalancing is good too, since you do sneak damage.  One in Henshin, one in Shintao.  Ki bolt's useless.  It's good for breaking crates you can't reach.

Shintao - Reed, maybe Difficulty if you'll ever use healing. Exemplar to get to 5.  Iron Skin.  Unbalancing.

Dunno what's left for points - I had a bunch fewer, so I don't have all that stuff.

I'll definitely look into this - I got into a decent Shav Group last night so am now only 1 rank off 20 - It might be better if you could provide a fuller run down for a 3rd Life version with 1 Monk and 1 Rogue past life? But I might just go Smurf Warlock 19/Wiz 1 and grab 6 MRR from those 2 past lives first Smiley

OK, Just reset Acrobat and Henshin to change to your set up.

Didn't have enough points left over to get into Shintao because you seem to have forgotten the required 11 points in Ninja for Shadow Veil?

Your sequence is Sly Flourish, Quick Strike, Light heal, Sweeping if it's off cooldown, Reed, Fists, Unbalancing, trip if it works, etc.  The cooldowns for Fists and Unbalancing are super short, so spam those until your cleaves are back.  Figure out whatever's easiest for you to handle on the keyboard, so you can just hit 1, 2, 3, and so on.  Be in mountain.  Hit Spinning Staff Wall and Haste as you're running in.  Be ready to Uncanny as needed.  Cleaves don't interrupt a finishing move, so light-light-light gives you a group heal (you'll see an example of that in the first spider fight).  Find a sheltering item and a spell resist thing.  Get 'em crafted if necessary.  Know your escapes - Staff Lunge gets you out of being surrounded, tumbling through mobs works too in the T-A core, and then vault to get the fuck away and drink your precious CSW pots.

I really doubt I could manage that large a sequence - It's a problem I have and why I like passive builds over active ones.

It's definitely something to think about though for later Acrobat lives {I have multiple Acrobats and they're all gimps!}.

Ah Pook wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:50pm:

Are you taking the mick?

That's not Elite! There's only one fire reaver and one rakshasa, there's definitely less Drow!

You're doing considerably less damage than I was too - Yes you're only Lvl 15, I get that but why did you hide that you were on either normal or hard difficulty not elite?

One of my biggest issues in DDO is that I don't see the point to running Normal or Hard in Heroic and tbh wouldn't see the point of it in Epic either were it not necessary in Epic.

Max Favour {and I generally still need that +5 tome on most characters} is got off Elite, Guild Renown is penalised heavily for anything less than E-BB basically, Sagas are massively better rewarded on True Elite, XP is miles better on Elite, Named Loot has hugely better spawn rates on Elite, Even RNG is better on Elite.

Elite is also the difficulty that I have got used to running, Yes below Lvl 16/17 Normal and Hard would be too easy for me.

But the main thing is that I don't like having to run quests TWICE in a row or in a life and especially don't like having to run them more than that.
I have no choice with that when it comes to Epics - If I didn't run Dailies I wouldn't have a single ER yet on any toon!
I do have a choice in Heroics and I 99% of the time will NOT run Hard before Elite as that means I know I'm going to have to go back to do it on Elite at some point anyway!

This is why I run Elite - 80% Favour+I only want to run this quest...well any quest once per life if at all possible, 15% Guild Renown, 5% XP, Loot etc.

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2017 at 5:54am by FranOhmsford »  

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Fran, I had guildy that used a gamepad as she was just completely incapable of hand-eye coordination to use the Mouse/Keyboard combo.  I have no idea how she was able to play the game with that thing..  She was never going to be really good at the game using it, but she was better than you in those videos.

Maybe you should invest in a good gamepad for the game.  yeah, I know you don't have $40 to spend on a good gaming mouse.  maybe go upstairs from your mom's basement and ask for an advance in your allowance.   

As much time as you spend playing this game (badly), $40 is not a huge investment.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #72 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 5:09am:
This is going to sound dense but what and where is "Healing Shield"?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Fists_of_Light

OK please calm down, there's no need for the personal attacks even if they are couched with a smile.

Hey, I'm calm.  You're the one picking a class that needs four hands to play properly.  I'm trying to tweak it so you only need three.  </couched with a smile>

Having watched your video I'd like to state that I did NOT jump into the middle of those drow - In fact I was specifically avoiding jumping into the middle of those drow - I turned the corner, got their aggro and backed off each time, I then tried to spread them out through the tunnel so I could take on a few at a time.

It's a fine idea.   Smiley
Regardless, if you're going to be surrounded by mobs, you need a) some sort of cleave; and b) some sort of escape.  That's what this is showing - roll through shit, cleave through shit, mass heal in the middle of battle, pole vault away.  You *have* to be able to play a little differently with this.  A 350-hp dwarf rogue with no ability to take a shot can't stand and trade shots with a champion *anything*, let alone some of the shit you're picking fights with.

OK, Just reset Acrobat and Henshin to change to your set up.

Didn't have enough points left over to get into Shintao because you seem to have forgotten the required 11 points in Ninja for Shadow Veil?

Shintao's big for the way you play.  Heal amp and Iron Skin.  You seem to have an aversion to gear you need, so I thought maybe enhancements could add some toughness.

I really doubt I could manage that large a sequence - It's a problem I have and why I like passive builds over active ones.

That's why you have a bar where you just press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3...  Surely even you can handle that.  A good monk is hard to play properly - it's probably the *last* class you should be doing.  Maul paladin is probably more your speed, with Extend so you only have to rebuff every 45 minutes.

Are you taking the mick?

That's not Elite! There's only one fire reaver and one rakshasa, there's definitely less Drow!

You're doing considerably less damage than I was too - Yes you're only Lvl 15, I get that but why did you hide that you were on either normal or hard difficulty not elite?

I'm not VIP, and no offense, but I'm not gonna spend a *whole* lot of time building and leveling a gimp to match yours.  Think of it as a tech demo - here's how you put healing shield on multiple mobs before you cleave them.  Here's how you smash through a mob so you're not getting gangraped by Drow.  Now you have light-light-light done - do a mass heal.
If you want me to make a shadar-kai stick build to run with, that's fine, but I'm not sure I'd be throwing all my points into Int and Spot.   Tongue

This is why I run Elite - 80% Favour+I only want to run this quest...well any quest once per life if at all possible, 15% Guild Renown, 5% XP, Loot etc.

That's fine.  Nobody's arguing against running elite.  But you gotta do a couple of things before you complain about how hard elite is.  You have options here.  At the point they're exhausted, you get to complain again.
  • Fix your fucking gear.  When I look at your stat sheet and I see 350 hp, no spell resist, no PRR, no MRR, no DR, shitty saves, and you're using a level 7 staff... you better disable traps on a 1.  There's no excuse for that anymore.  There's probably a dozen staves on the AH for 400 plat that'll do some serious damage.  Get a guildy to make some shit - you can get +13 stats, 35 heal amp, and 30+ sheltering at that level.  Make a light, bludgeon, vamp staff with a red slot.  That's not a hard craft.  Thank me later.
  • If you can't change your playstyle, at least use the moves that are available to you.  Stick = cleave, trip, bounce around.  You can't go toe-to-toe with a champion hezrou with that thing - you're going to die every time.  I had 34 dodge on that sdk gimp - you close to that?  It's still not enough.  Tactics, comrade, tactics.  Figure out how to at least hit a couple things from your keyboard - healing, cleave, some quick power attack you can spam over and over.  You have a constant 15% doublestrike sitting there you literally never use.
  • Make a real toon.  Changing your mind about what something is at level 18 is a good way to burn through cakes.  Or just release a lot, and hope you got some optionals before you and your hireling both died.  Tweak the builds you see and copy.  Ask for help if you need it - there's a whole forum here for that (titled "Builds," oddly enough).  Nobody in their right mind would have you anywhere near monk, but at least you could get some advice specific for *you*.

When you do all that, and still die like a nibbler, then maybe you have a case that elite is too hard.  Everyone will still laugh at you, but it will be a sympathetic laugh for your lack of motor skills instead of "oh, here's this level 7 jumping into an elite 18 quest."

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #73 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 3:18pm:

OK got mixed up with the term "healing shield" there. Figured this is what you were talking about but wasn't sure.

Hey, I'm calm.  You're the one picking a class that needs four hands to play properly.  I'm trying to tweak it so you only need three.  </couched with a smile>

Having read this entire post I have to say....See, you don't need the insults. Smiley

It's a fine idea.   Smiley
Regardless, if you're going to be surrounded by mobs, you need a) some sort of cleave; and b) some sort of escape.  That's what this is showing - roll through shit, cleave through shit, mass heal in the middle of battle, pole vault away.  You *have* to be able to play a little differently with this.  A 350-hp dwarf rogue with no ability to take a shot can't stand and trade shots with a champion *anything*, let alone some of the shit you're picking fights with.

Yep I've played Cleave Acrobats too and I have to say there are better, at least for me.

But certainly not gonna mess around changing feats or worse doing a lesser reincarnation at Lvl 18 and softcapped 19 when a TR is just around the corner {see below}.

Shintao's big for the way you play.  Heal amp and Iron Skin.  You seem to have an aversion to gear you need, so I thought maybe enhancements could add some toughness.

I've always preferred Shintao yes and would love to get the PRR from it but without Shadow Veil it's not gonna be enough {there's just not enough PRR without 3x PDK past lives behind me and a whole bunch of maxed out shit I don't have.}.

That's why you have a bar where you just press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3...  Surely even you can handle that.  A good monk is hard to play properly - it's probably the *last* class you should be doing.  Maul paladin is probably more your speed, with Extend so you only have to rebuff every 45 minutes.

I put Sly flourish on 1
Quick strike on 2
Fists of Light on 3
Sweeping Strikes on 4
Reed on 5
Fists of Iron on 6

And after using all 6 nothing was off cooldown - I get the feeling I messed the order up.

I'm not VIP, and no offense, but I'm not gonna spend a *whole* lot of time building and leveling a gimp to match yours.  Think of it as a tech demo - here's how you put healing shield on multiple mobs before you cleave them.  Here's how you smash through a mob so you're not getting gangraped by Drow.  Now you have light-light-light done - do a mass heal.
If you want me to make a shadar-kai stick build to run with, that's fine, but I'm not sure I'd be throwing all my points into Int and Spot.   Tongue

Oh I'm not taking offense, just surprised you didn't mention that you weren't on Elite as it changed the dynamic of the video dramatically.

That's fine.  Nobody's arguing against running elite.  But you gotta do a couple of things before you complain about how hard elite is.  You have options here.  At the point they're exhausted, you get to complain again.
  • Fix your fucking gear.  When I look at your stat sheet and I see 350 hp, no spell resist, no PRR, no MRR, no DR, shitty saves, and you're using a level 7 staff... you better disable traps on a 1.  There's no excuse for that anymore.  There's probably a dozen staves on the AH for 400 plat that'll do some serious damage.  Get a guildy to make some shit - you can get +13 stats, 35 heal amp, and 30+ sheltering at that level.  Make a light, bludgeon, vamp staff with a red slot.  That's not a hard craft.  Thank me later.

His gear was bad yes {the staffs especially}.

After seeing your video however and knowing it was run on normal or hard not Elite I figured the work to get even close to Epic Hard Viable {forget EE} was way beyond this toon with it's multiple problems this life.

• If you can't change your playstyle, at least use the moves that are available to you.  Stick = cleave, trip, bounce around.  You can't go toe-to-toe with a champion hezrou with that thing - you're going to die every time.  I had 34 dodge on that sdk gimp - you close to that?  It's still not enough.  Tactics, comrade, tactics.  Figure out how to at least hit a couple things from your keyboard - healing, cleave, some quick power attack you can spam over and over.  You have a constant 15% doublestrike sitting there you literally never use.

• You mean Quickstrike?

It's a pain for me to use, honestly, I have trouble with it just like I do with a lot of short term boosts, I have similar problems with Haste Boost.

• Make a real toon.  Changing your mind about what something is at level 18 is a good way to burn through cakes.

• Uh well it wasn't lvl 18 when I tried to fix it but I get the point.

The problem is I completely messed up what I intended when I TRd this character then got little help from the forums when asking for advice on how to fix it, I tried with what help was given and it ended badly.

Or just release a lot, and hope you got some optionals before you and your hireling both died.  Tweak the builds you see and copy.  Ask for help if you need it - there's a whole forum here for that (titled "Builds," oddly enough).  Nobody in their right mind would have you anywhere near monk, but at least you could get some advice specific for *you*.

Those builds generally don't work for me - that's one of the problems - they rely on stuff I have trouble using {like boosts and other short term buffs}.

I'm not saying there aren't builds out there that could work for me btw just that they're hard to come by.

When you do all that, and still die like a nibbler, then maybe you have a case that elite is too hard.  Everyone will still laugh at you, but it will be a sympathetic laugh for your lack of motor skills instead of "oh, here's this level 7 jumping into an elite 18 quest."

OK Well Mightycricket TRd today.

I got him to Lvl 20 and insta-trd him into a Svirfneblin Wiz 1 / Warlock 13 {I don't take 15 straight away but prefer to soft cap}.

I'm going to Farm his destinies and at least one ER on this life, maybe run 2 more Smurf Warlock lives after and then maybe go back to a more Monky build.

By then I might have a better shot at playing a Henshin Staff Monk that's Elite capable in high level heroics and at least EH capable.

Feats:
    Lvl 1: Force of Personality, Spell Focus Evoc
    Lvl 3: Empower
    Lvl 6: Maximise
    Lvl 9: Quicken
    Lvl 12: Spell Focus: Enchant

Gear at Lvl 14:
    Shadowsight {Normal with a Proof against Poison Topaz}.
    Wizardry 118, Spellsight 11 Helm
    Pendant of Quiet Movements with Deathblock slotted
    Greater Stalwart Trinket
    Clever 1, Resistance 6 Cloak
    Reaver's Ring with Heavy Fort slotted
    Speed V, Sheltering 12 Boots
    Katra's Wit
    Impulsive 86 Skirmish Hide
    Radiant 74 of Healing Lore 11 Sceptre
    Resonating 87 of Sonic Lore 11 Sceptre

Boots, Gloves and Bracers slots completely empty.

Oh and before you complain about the lack of HP I have a Con 6 of False Life belt waiting in the TR Cache for Lvl 15 and Defender of Sibery's Belt for Lvl 18.
    « Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2017 at 4:53pm by FranOhmsford »  

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
    Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 5:24pm
    Print Post  
    One of my biggest issues in DDO is that I don't see the point to running Normal or Hard in Heroic and tbh wouldn't see the point of it in Epic either were it not necessary in Epic.

Max Favour {and I generally still need that +5 tome on most characters} is got off Elite, Guild Renown is penalised heavily for anything less than E-BB basically, Sagas are massively better rewarded on True Elite, XP is miles better on Elite, Named Loot has hugely better spawn rates on Elite, Even RNG is better on Elite.

Elite is also the difficulty that I have got used to running, Yes below Lvl 16/17 Normal and Hard would be too easy for me.

But the main thing is that I don't like having to run quests TWICE in a row or in a life and especially don't like having to run them more than that.
    I have no choice with that when it comes to Epics - If I didn't run Dailies I wouldn't have a single ER yet on any toon!
    I do have a choice in Heroics and I 99% of the time will NOT run Hard before Elite as that means I know I'm going to have to go back to do it on Elite at some point anyway!

Fran, you're getting good advice, but this part really caught my attention.

Having a goal is good - having unrealistic expectations is not.

This would be the same as me coming on here and stating that "I refuse to run anything less than Reaper 10 but I keep getting owned. WTF is wrong with the game?"

The game has difficulty levels for a reason.
    If you insist on doing Elite and fail, then there is no shame in trying Hard or Normal.
    These are not beneath you - this is a reality for your character/gear/skills.  There are some toons which will struggle to complete Elite solo regardless.
    Those who do not have VIP have to replay Quests to open them.

The thing holding you back most is a combo of character builds and gearing (these are fixable), but it's your approach that is the hardest to fix because of your unrealistic entrenched views.

Listen to the advice people are giving you or it will stop coming and less helpful suggestions will replace it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
    Send TopicPrint