Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Monk build paths for beginners (Read 13411 times)
Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Monk build paths for beginners
Reply #50 - May 8th, 2017 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
20 HP is a big deal to a new player who has little to no other sources of HP. They won't have at-level con/false life/vit, they won't have high prr or mrr, or good saves, or fort, or dodge. They won't have past lives either, or ship buffs, or experience playing the game that lets them reduce the amount of damage they take when fighting groups of enemies or going through traps.

A new player will be playing on Normal difficulty mostly. Twice your level in HP does actually matter a lot there, especially when you have like half the HP a veteran player would have.

During my first life, I was scrambling for every bit of HP I could get just to be able to barely complete quests on Hard with a hireling. I know better now, and if I had that toon again I would do much better overall, but back then a sliver of HP could mean the difference between finishing a quest and getting XP and not doing so.

EDIT: Also this is a melee character we're talking about, so they will be taking a lot of hits.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2017 at 3:26pm by Arganthonius »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - May 11th, 2017 at 4:19am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 2:41pm:
Constitution.......10

WTF?

5 Foot Step wrote on May 8th, 2017 at 1:46pm:
HP is for gimps.

WTFWTF?

Nice gimp build.  Needs more trolling.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #52 - May 11th, 2017 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 8th, 2017 at 1:46pm:
HP is for gimps. I would rather teach them not to gimp out for hp. If they are already "dying so frequently they would barely have any dps" then 20 hp isn't going to help. Dying is a part of DDO. Seeing that they are not qualified for the feat that is clearly and expressly designed FOR their build they are going to blame the game for being retarded. Any reasonable person would be more likely to quit over build nonsense like being railroaded into not hitting the prereqs that you need than dying a couple more times than compared to cliched mandatory minimum con mantra spewers.

So it is more important that they can take Vorpal Strikes at level 27 than that they can survive in levels 1-10.

If Vorpal Strikes was so god-awful important, it wouldn't have waited till level 27 to get taken.  Clearly OC and Imp Martial Arts are the important feats to get.  Not having Vorpal Strikes is not going to upset a character at level 27.  They will just finish the life out, TR, and get 34 build points and be fine.  They might even be able to score a wisdom tome from 1750 favor to help out even more. 

Your monk builds suck for new players.  They are good for veteran players who aren't familiar with (or have never run) a class.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #53 - May 12th, 2017 at 1:34am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 3:14pm:
Whirlwind attack @ lvl 6

nuff said

just looked at how WW works with unarmed monks, holy shit

guess i have some interest in playing ddo for a bit, especially with old vampiric ml 14 calomel wraps:S

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - May 12th, 2017 at 5:49am
Print Post  
A better build would be 16 Dex, 16 Con, and 15 Wis, with one level-up point into Dexterity and the rest into Wisdom.

The feat order should be

1...TWF
M1...Dodge
M2...Stunning Fist
3...Precision
6...Mobility
M6... Shuriken Expertise
9...ITWF
12..IC: Blunt
15...GTWF
18...Spring Attack/Toughness?

But then you can't grab Whirlwind Attack.
If you really wanted Whirlwind Attack, you'd go 13 Int, 16 Con, 16 Dex, and the rest into Wis (or lower Con to 14 and put the extra points into Wis).
Then go
1...TWF
M1...CE
M2...Dodge
3...Mobility
M6...Spring Attack
6...Whirlwind Attack
9...Stunning Fist
12...ITWF
15...IC:Blunt
18...GTWF

Though it's best to go human and put Stunning Fist as your extra feat, and shift the 12/15/18 feats down.

I think Shintao Monk is just flat-out a bad choice for a 28-point build and for a new character. They're melees that have to keep track of a meter and don't have good burst healing, their attacks chain together in a complicated way, and their defenses are hard to keep track of.
Rangers, Paladins, and Barbarians all make good first-life beginner melees. Monks do not.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #55 - May 12th, 2017 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Arganthonius wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 5:49am:
Rangers, Paladins, and Barbarians all make good first-life beginner melees. Monks do not.

The idea, in case your low post count is indicative of a relatively short period of time in this subforum, is to do one of these for each class.

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #56 - May 12th, 2017 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Somebody is going to bitch no matter what I post. Not looking forward to mandatory Eldritch Knight for every race. Yes, 28 pt Shintao is a bad choice for a newb no matter what you do as is EK. We have to come up with something playable anyway. As long as they can solo with a hire on normal I will count that as playable, though that definition of playable does overlap with my definition of suck by my build standards.

That being said, the 1750 favor tome is something that I hadn't considered and does not seem unreasonable at 27. Even if they don't have it at 27 they can visit Fred later. I will edit OP.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - May 12th, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 10:26am:
The idea, in case your low post count is indicative of a relatively short period of time in this subforum, is to do one of these for each class.

Either of the two builds I posted are more reasonable for a beginner than a 10 Con build.

Also the only problem anyone has with the Shintao 28 pt build is the 10 Con. As long as 5FS doesn't make his EK build with 10 Con, I don't think anyone is going to complain much.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - May 16th, 2017 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 11:45am:
That being said, the 1750 favor tome is something that I hadn't considered and does not seem unreasonable at 27. Even if they don't have it at 27 they can visit Fred later. I will edit OP.

Are you really assuming this build is going to cap?  With a 10 con?  If you stick with that stat distribution you need some bold type, flashing, all caps text that clearly points out that this is a heroic build only and that the player needs to TR once they hit 20th.

I can see a 10 con character making it to 20th easy.  Well, maybe not easy for a new player but quite possible without inducing a rage quit, especially if they don't buy VIP and have to open normal unless they are in a group with a VIP/2nd life+ player who doesn't have a 10 con.  Because no one fing has a 10 con.  But once they hit epics on a new char with no destinies, no past lives, and terribad gear they are either going to be carried the rest of the way or they are going to quit in disgust.  Or both, if they are perceptive enough to realize that they are being carried and can't run a quest solo for love nor money.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #59 - May 17th, 2017 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 7:36pm:
Are you really assuming this build is going to cap?  With a 10 con?  If you stick with that stat distribution you need some bold type, flashing, all caps text that clearly points out that this is a heroic build only and that the player needs to TR once they hit 20th.

I can see a 10 con character making it to 20th easy.  Well, maybe not easy for a new player but quite possible without inducing a rage quit, especially if they don't buy VIP and have to open normal unless they are in a group with a VIP/2nd life+ player who doesn't have a 10 con.  Because no one fing has a 10 con.  But once they hit epics on a new char with no destinies, no past lives, and terribad gear they are either going to be carried the rest of the way or they are going to quit in disgust.  Or both, if they are perceptive enough to realize that they are being carried and can't run a quest solo for love nor money.

I'm sorry that you find Epic Normal so terrifying that 40 hp is a make or break proposition. That being said, the build was edited 5 days ago, so chill out.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - May 19th, 2017 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 17th, 2017 at 11:36am:
I'm sorry that you find Epic Normal so terrifying that 40 hp is a make or break proposition

dreary just thinking about it. hitting level 5 with a whopping 23 hit points.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #61 - May 23rd, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 4:51pm:
Shuriken can outperform melee starting at level 3 and carry pugs by level 6.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Because when you say "Shuriken Build" you just KNOW some newb is thinking this:

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint