Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The question from ages ago... (Read 6937 times)
m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

The question from ages ago...
Apr 21st, 2017 at 6:46am
Print Post  
So.

Back in the days my friends and I used to play pnp dnd 2nd ed, then 3rd ed and 3,5 ed.

Certain core rule questions always came up but among all of them there was one particular question I have been wanting to ask for some time now.

So here it is: In Forgotten Realms Campaign setting 3.0 (and 3.5 too) under dwarf / duergar descriptions it said: "duergar women do not grow beards [unlike shield/gold dwarves]".

So does it mean they shave their beards or that in general, facial hair does not grow on their (duergar women) faces? Which interpretation is correct? Is that statement really misunderstandable? An aussie friend of mine was also baffled by that sentence, now I am curious with all the american and british vaulties around which interpretation sounds more reasonable?

Meat prolly has better understanding of english, so curious about his interpretation as well.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2017 at 6:47am by m4lacka »  

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Re: The question from ages ago...
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Lol. I always understood it as they cannot, but that's not technically what it says. It says they do not. Which leads me to believe that they could, but fashionably choose not to.

The real question is, why do you really care?  Grin

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:31am
Print Post  
no. wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:17am:
Lol. I always understood it as they cannot, but that's not technically what it says. It says they do not. Which leads me to believe that they could, but fashionably choose not to.

The real question is, why do you really care?  Grin

You know, it is a causation issue...or not, that is why I asked. Plus it would give me some relief to know that even tho bearded dorf women became an accepted idea in 2000~, it would be nice to know that at least duergar are left alone with this somewhat annoying addon.  Grin

I kinda like duergar, they are like the githyanki, but without all the conquer-all mentality. They are basically tough, cynical survivalists.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:32am by m4lacka »  

The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Canteen Boy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 9:41am
Print Post  
It says they do not. Which leads me to believe that they could, but fashionably choose not to.

This.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:42am
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:31am:
They are basically tough, cynical survivalists.

Tough, cynical, survivalist women would grow beards if they were able to(it helps insulate the face in winter, plus it cuts down on time wasted shaving).

Ergo, the must not be capable of growing beards.

That's one interpretation, the sentence by itself is extremely ambiguous. When describing by humans, we generally say "women don't grow beards" as opposed to 'can't'. Not that that statement comes up very often, but if I had to describe it to, say, a young child or an alien, I'd probably say "don't"

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:59am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:42am:
Tough...

Nice summation of a thread with 4 posts. You are just a parrot aren't you?
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2017 at 12:00pm by Slick Stick »  

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Slick Stick wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:59am:

Nice summation of a thread with 5 posts. You are just a parrot aren't you?

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 12:18pm:
Nice summation of a thread with 5 posts. You are just a parrot aren't you?

For the love of god, don't act like him.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Stop setting unrealistic body image standards for Duregar!

Or ask Ed.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Slick Stick wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:59am:

It's the only correct answer.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 1:51pm:
It's the only correct answer.

Huh?

He basically stated that it could be either way, basically not answering the question. He simply restated the question in answer form without giving a definitive answer, just a guess with an out. His out was the original fucking question. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
So I take it the ambiguity is actually there, so the only way to get an absolute answer would be to ask one of the pnp developers, heh.

Wow.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Slick Stick wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 2:22pm:
Huh?

He basically stated that it could be either way, basically not answering the question. He simply restated the question in answer form without giving a definitive answer, just a guess with an out. His out was the original fucking question. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Count the question marks in OP, genius.

His answer was "yes, it's ambiguous," which is correct.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 2:54pm
Print Post  

Does this basically not say here is my guess, but its ambiguous? So yeah.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Dwarven females having facial hair (beards especially) is officially Gay & Retarded™.

Grow the fuck up, dipshits.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

FTL
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
The way it is written says that facial hair does grow but they choose to not grow a beard and therefore shave.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
FTL wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 3:53pm:
The way it is written says that facial hair does grow but they choose to not grow a beard and therefore shave.

With cultural/ethnic subgroups of human males who chose to remain clean-shaven, we generally have to specify that they can but don't.

So, another question arises: are the duergar genetically distinct from races of dwarves where the females typically grow facial hair? As in, are they distinct enough to be considered a separate species(such as a sheep and goat), or are they more like "dwarves, but black" ?

If its the latter, then the correct answer is that they chose to shave. If its the former, then the sentence is still ambiguous.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Growing a beard or not growing a beard is not a matter of choice, it is a matter biological/genetic make up.

SHAVING A BEARD or NOT SHAVING A BEARD is a choice one can make, if one is biologically capable of growing out facial hair.

It seems totally unambiguous to me that this sentence is stating that duergar women have no beards to shave or not shave, because they do not grow beards. If the sentence was meant to refer to habits, like growing out a beard, it would have done that, I think.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 5:16pm:
SHAVING A BEARD or NOT SHAVING A BEARD is a choice one can make, if one is biologically capable of growing out facial hair.

But one doesn't generally refer to shaving of the beard in this context. Let's take the original sentence from the OP:

"duergar women do not grow beards [unlike shield/gold dwarves]".

And change it slightly to refer to things on earth:

"many European men do not grow beards [unlike men in the middle east]".

Are we seeing beardless men choose to shave or that they physically can't grow beards?

The fact of the matter is: the sentence is ambiguous. Some men of European decent(particularly nordic) literally can't grow beards; they just don't get facial hair. Right alongside them, many other men can grow rich, full beards, and choose not to, instead shaving. The statement that they "do not grow beards" works both ways.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #19 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 6:46am:

You'd have fit in well with my old PnP group.

harharharhar wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 5:16pm:
Growing a beard or not growing a beard is not a matter of choice, it is a matter biological/genetic make up.

You & noamineo too, it pains me to admit.

Our sessions were mostly quibbling over the minutiae of rule interpretations, with a light sprinkling of occasional roleplaying.

I read it as definitively demanding that the DM make a house ruling, and no game session can begin until said house rule is made. This bit of world data has obvious impact on the entire game.

Though another great solution would be: The Duergar Question, an expedition to a Duergar outpost to uncover the mystery of Duergar hair. A whole campaign could be designed around it.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #20 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 5:43pm:
But one doesn't generally refer to shaving of the beard in this context. Let's take the original sentence from the OP:

And change it slightly to refer to things on earth:

"many European men do not grow beards [unlike men in the middle east]".

Are we seeing beardless men choose to shave or that they physically can't grow beards?

The fact of the matter is: the sentence is ambiguous. Some men of European decent(particularly nordic) literally can't grow beards; they just don't get facial hair. Right alongside them, many other men can grow rich, full beards, and choose not to, instead shaving. The statement that they "do not grow beards" works both ways.

False dichotomy. How about this (i removed the spurious "many" that you added which completely changes the meaning of the sentence)

"Chinese women do not grow beards [unlike caucasian bearded ladies in the circus]"

I agree this can still come across as ambiguous, as in not 100% certain and clearly one way or the other, but I really find it a stretch to try and argue that is equally likely to suggest that these dwarf women shave everyday.

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:50pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #21 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:38pm:
You'd have fit in well with my old PnP group.

You & noamineo too, it pains me to admit.

Our sessions were mostly quibbling over the minutiae of rule interpretations, with a light sprinkling of occasional roleplaying.

I read it as definitively demanding that the DM make a house ruling, and no game session can begin until said house rule is made. This bit of world data has obvious impact on the entire game.

Though another great solution would be: The Duergar Question, an expedition to a Duergar outpost to uncover the mystery of Duergar hair. A whole campaign could be designed around it.

awesome

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
The Duergar Question, an expedition to a Duergar outpost to uncover the mystery of Duergar hair. A whole campaign could be designed around it.

If this isn't U37, I'm gonna be pissed.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 12:02am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:48pm:
False dichotomy. How about this (i removed the spurious "many" that you added which completely changes the meaning of the sentence)

"Chinese women do not grow beards [unlike caucasian bearded ladies in the circus]"

I agree this can still come across as ambiguous, as in not 100% certain and clearly one way or the other, but I really find it a stretch to try and argue that is equally likely to suggest that these dwarf women shave everyday.

You raise a perfectly valid point. I'd agree that it does make more sense, from a real-world perspective it makes much more sense that they don't grow facial hair at all.

However, DnD lore is known for making sweeping generalizations about specific groups. its not far fetched to say that all duagar are culturally homogeneous, that in fact all of them do shave their beards(just like how in certain areas, all men grow beards).

Of course it would be pretty weird if that's actually what the original writer meant.

Obviously they just don't grow beards.

But its a fun point to discuss.

I would play the shit out of that quest.

IP Logged

S
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:22am
Print Post  
It would depend on the precise wording.
"facial hair does not grow on their (duergar women) faces"
Means that hair literally doesn't grow. Not that they cut it.

But if said "Duergar women do not grow hair on their faces", that would be ambiguous. This statement leaves room for misunderstanding whether it's by choice or by nature.
But normally you would still assume it's by nature because it makes it sound like they all do it.
And if they could grow beards, there should be at least one of them that didn't want to.

Now to address more important matters. Like what's for breakfast....
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:23am by S »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint