Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Second Lifer Warlock/Fighter Build Question (Read 2916 times)
Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Second Lifer Warlock/Fighter Build Question
May 6th, 2017 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I have a monk who I am planning to level to level 30, then ETR and TR into a PDK warlock for the PRR and MRR. Because this is my melee toon, I was thinking a warlock 14/fighter 6 Bastard Sword Single Weapon Fighting build, with points in both enlightened spirit and kensei. It would be CHA and CON focused, because of the PDK cha-to-hit and dmg enhancement, and would wear heavy armor.

What kind of gear would I need to perform well in EE with this toon?

Other notes: I'm grabbing the cleave feats, not the ES bursts. I'm also planning on using this life to level up a few epic destinies, though I'll immediately ITR on reaching 30.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Re: Second Lifer Warlock/Fighter Build Question
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2017 at 12:09am
Print Post  
This seems neato.

Warlocks wear medium armor, not heavy. I think it's a mistake grabbing the cleaves versus the ES bursts as well.

Cool build, lemme know how it turns out.

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2017 at 9:14am
Print Post  
14 Warlock is giving you a trivial benefit over 8Fighter/12Lock

I did a SWF with Khopesh and Orb,Str based 1Barb/4Fighter/15Lock (GOO)  before the Kensai changes.

It was a themed build around run speed. 10% Barb/10% Swift Defense/15% Feeding Frenzy.

With Lock Aura/ES 34ish pts for T5 Displace and Shining Through, +6 STR/20%HP in SD with Medium Armor, 7 in SE and the rest in Kensai for Action Boosts etc etc.

Was damn near un-killable and ran fast af.  I like fast travel  for getting from here to there but even faster travel over very short distances while battling mobs adds a shit-ton of survivabilty.

I did SWF x3, PA Cleave/GCleave, Khop, IC Completionist, Stunning Blow and Fighter Tactics maybe +6 one.

If I did this again I'd do 8Fighter/12Lock Only go to T4 and Core 4 in ES, 7 in SE and Split the rest to get T5 Kensai and T4s in SD.  Strength, Con>Int for KTA. 

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2017 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I was going to go 34 in Kensei with T5, 34 in ES for all the aura bonuses, then some in PDK for Cha to Dmg and in TS for aura dealing alignment damage.

I don't have a problem taking levels in barbarian or monk. Is it better to go 12Lock/7Fighter/1Barb, or 8Lock/6fighter/6monk?

If I go Str and Cha based, I can get bonuses to Stunning Blow equal to 1/3rd my Cha mod.

I could also go Cha and Int based.

Since the other poster recommended Medium armor over Heavy, I'll still be able to use Evard's, so I want high Cha for the DCs.

What equipment do you recommend?

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2017 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on May 8th, 2017 at 12:09am:
Warlocks wear medium armor, not heavy.

Um, fighter?

Arganthonius wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 12:24pm:
What kind of gear would I need to perform well in EE with this toon?

Probably the best way to do well in EE would be to go pure lock.  Or maybe 1 fighter if you go pdk.  But with a good set of past life feats you can make this or any other flavor build work.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2017 at 4:11am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2017 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 11th, 2017 at 4:08am:
Um, fighter?

Warlocks still wear medium armor to avoid spell failure. Enlightened Spirit synergizes well with it. You'd be throwing away some easily accessible HP and MRR imo, and it's one less thing to worry about when you know your ASF is 0% even without speccing for it gear-wise.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2017 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 10:28am:
Warlocks still wear medium armor to avoid spell failure. Enlightened Spirit synergizes well with it. You'd be throwing away some easily accessible HP and MRR imo, and it's one less thing to worry about when you know your ASF is 0% even without speccing for it gear-wise.

If by 'synergize' you mean it takes level 4, 20 asp in the tree, no path to heavy armor unless you still spend the feat for medium armor (and you might know, is this a bug?  Seems that way since medium armor proficiency via feats gives access to heavy armor proficiency via feats, and buying the med via enhance points should count the same.  You now know how to wear med armor, grats!  It's just one step up to heavy, oh except it's not) and 2 ap, then sure.  But Fighter auto grants the heavy armor feat and yeah you have to spend those points and more eliminating the asf, but it is worth it for most burst builds (i.e. ES builds) who are in the middle of the action and can use the PRR and AC more than blasters.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2017 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 7:55pm:
no path to heavy armor unless you still spend the feat for medium armor (and you might know, is this a bug?)

Definitely not a bug. Enhancements are one step down in a character build construction wise, both behind the scenes and externally. If you were in a pen and paper campaign and you found an amulet that allowed you to wear medium armor without taking spellcasting penalties, you can't then use those "skills" to get heavy armor, as you aren't given the skill itself, you just have a quick path to the result.

Warlocks do not need heavy armor to be durable, I'd much rather have points in ES than wasted points in less good trees.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2017 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 8:43pm:
Definitely not a bug. Enhancements are one step down in a character build construction wise, both behind the scenes and externally. If you were in a pen and paper campaign and you found an amulet that allowed you to wear medium armor without taking spellcasting penalties, you can't then use those "skills" to get heavy armor, as you aren't given the skill itself, you just have a quick path to the result.

Warlocks do not need heavy armor to be durable, I'd much rather have points in ES than wasted points in less good trees.

Ok, so not a bug and "working as intended," but still a logical fail.  When a person learns how to wear medium armor and cast spells in it their next step up is learning how to wear heavy armor and cast spells in it.  An enhancement that both grants med armor proficiency and eliminates all medium armor asl is objectively better than the medium armor feat.  So saying that the specific warlock ES path to medium armor fails to provide the same step up to heavy armor as the medium armor feat just makes no sense at all.  Logically.  In a discussion about a game that has dragons and wizards which break the laws of physics casually and twice on Sundays...  But I'm sure you get the point regardless.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 9:04pm:
But I'm sure you get the point regardless.

No dude, tell us all about how unfair it is that Logic Missile got nerfed.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2017 at 11:40am
Print Post  
I love how there is always some asshole who thinks Arcane casters have some expectation of wearing full plate....

Personally, i'm fucking grateful 'locks can wear medium for breastplate and not fail  every fucking cast and blow through my SP in 15 seconds

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2017 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 9:04pm:
Ok, so not a bug and "working as intended," but still a logical fail.  When a person learns how to wear medium armor and cast spells in it their next step up is learning how to wear heavy armor and cast spells in it.

take the enhancement for Medium Armor
Next level up take the heavy armor feat.
now respend enhancements so you no longer have the enhancement for Medium Armor.

What should happen then?

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint