Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Purey Shuri (Read 132099 times)
5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Purey Shuri
Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:02am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:59pm:
you play your way I'll play mine

Lol.

That's why you came to my thread to announce that pure is boring and fury is still awesome after all.

(After first proclaiming all throwers are dead on arrival mind you (on the mother boards.))

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Why the choice of shadowdancer vs LD or FoTW? Is it really comparable dps or more about the utility it also brings?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #27 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 10:59am
Print Post  
vageta31 wrote on Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:22pm:
Why the choice of shadowdancer vs LD or FoTW? Is it really comparable dps or more about the utility it also brings?

SD is generally underrated, I think because most of the good stuff is wrapped up in the cores instead of the stuff you pick. Anyway, it's a sneak attack build, so in most content, it's viability depends on the ability to remove sneak attack immunity which comes with the SD capstone core.

LD is still great in content without SA immune mobs, but most of the power is in blitz, and in addition to the traditional banes of blitz, doors and dialogue, it's not as good as it used to be since in the hardest content you can't really guarantee not dying.

Fury was amazeballs for monkchers back when manyshot meant 4 arrows, I haven't recommended it for anything since then.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #28 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 10:59am:
SD is generally underrated, I think because most of the good stuff is wrapped up in the cores instead of the stuff you pick. Anyway, it's a sneak attack build, so in most content, it's viability depends on the ability to remove sneak attack immunity which comes with the SD capstone core.

LD is still great in content without SA immune mobs, but most of the power is in blitz, and in addition to the traditional banes of blitz, doors and dialogue, it's not as good as it used to be since in the hardest content you can't really guarantee not dying.

Fury was amazeballs for monkchers back when manyshot meant 4 arrows, I haven't recommended it for anything since then.

You are correct on everything except FotW I think.  I have to agree with Jakee/Harhar/Sobsob/whateverhenamechonedtonow on this.

Even if I ran a SA focused shuri, I'd run in FotW destiny.  I say this even after having ran a SA focused shuri build that was doing 600+ SA damage + all the base damage and procs per shuriken.  I'd take the drop down to 300-400 SA dmg per star for the burst DPS of FotW.

The thing about shuricannons is, no matter what destiny you run in, it will kill trash easily.  You could run it in Magister, US, etc. and it will still kill trash just fine assuming it's a halfway decent build with proper weapons and gear.

Running in SD, LD, DC or even Shiradi will increase your DPS on trash for sure but what those destinies lack is burst DPS.   FotW has that in spades.  Even post imbue nerf, no other destiny matches the burst DPS of Unbridled + 10ks + Sniper Shot.  Imbues didn't scale with adrenalines and crits anyway, so the loss of those had minimal impact on burst DPS with FotW.  The only thing that had any real impact is losing Slaying Arrow.   

Sniper Shot or maybe the active Kensai attacks are decent enough substitutes though.  As a bonus, it makes swapping to a bow and using manyshot less mandatory.  Shurikens may hit for less than a bow per shot, but you get more stars per throw than you do arrows per shot with a bow, even during manyshot, so my in-game, eyeballing-it testing makes me think that you're just as well off using 10ks with unbridled now.

So if most shuri builds can kill trash well by default, why not opt for the ability to quickly drop a truckload of damage onto a red-named?  Additionally, since shuris regen regular adrenalines at a high rate, it's hard to match their ability to 1-shot champs and reapers at will with an adrenalined Sniper Shot.   The ability to quickly remove the biggest threats to a party while clearing trash is big perk.

*** Adding a disclaimer that I realize the OP topic of this thread is a pure monk shuri build which makes all my points about activated attacks + adrenalines/unbridled irrelevant.  That is also why I feel that pure is a second tier shuri compared to the ranger, fighter, or rogue splash versions.  On a pure monk, SD or LD with a focus on SA probably is the best option since you have no activated attacks to synergize with FotW. 

Just wanted to put this info out there for anyone that might be reading up on shuricannon builds in general and trying to decide which type of build to go with.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:03pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #29 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
10k+action boost+sneak of shadows+shadow training (+2 SA dice) +Diversion(+5 SA dice) seems like a burst to me.

More active attacks would be nice for the champs and reapers though. Since I overshot 100 dex, it should make sense to drop 2 points and take Executioner's Shot and buff Shrouding Shot. Thanks.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #30 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:09pm:
10k+action boost+sneak of shadows+shadow training (+2 SA dice) +Diversion(+5 SA dice) seems like a burst to me.

Anyone has this on live ? Without epeening nonsense, I would be genuinely interested to see this burst in action on video perhaps.
In comparison to "terrible" bow Furyshot which I'd happy provide footage of on chosen target. Still can pop 90k+ vorpal arrow on helpless.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #31 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:48pm:
You are correct on everything except FotW I think.  I have to agree with Jakee/Harhar/Sobsob/whateverhenamechonedtonow on this.

Even if I ran a SA focused shuri, I'd run in FotW destiny.  I say this even after having ran a SA focused shuri build that was doing 600+ SA damage + all the base damage and procs per shuriken.  I'd take the drop down to 300-400 SA dmg per star for the burst DPS of FotW.

The thing about shuricannons is, no matter what destiny you run in, it will kill trash easily.  You could run it in Magister, US, etc. and it will still kill trash just fine assuming it's a halfway decent build with proper weapons and gear.

Running in SD, LD, DC or even Shiradi will increase your DPS on trash for sure but what those destinies lack is burst DPS.   FotW has that in spades.  Even post imbue nerf, no other destiny matches the burst DPS of Unbridled + 10ks + Sniper Shot.  Imbues didn't scale with adrenalines and crits anyway, so the loss of those had minimal impact on burst DPS with FotW.  The only thing that had any real impact is losing Slaying Arrow.   

Sniper Shot or maybe the active Kensai attacks are decent enough substitutes though.  As a bonus, it makes swapping to a bow and using manyshot less mandatory.  Shurikens may hit for less than a bow per shot, but you get more stars per throw than you do arrows per shot with a bow, even during manyshot, so my in-game, eyeballing-it testing makes me think that you're just as well off using 10ks with unbridled now.

So if most shuri builds can kill trash well by default, why not opt for the ability to quickly drop a truckload of damage onto a red-named?  Additionally, since shuris regen regular adrenalines at a high rate, it's hard to match their ability to 1-shot champs and reapers at will with an adrenalined Sniper Shot.   The ability to quickly remove the biggest threats to a party while clearing trash is big perk.

*** Adding a disclaimer that I realize the OP topic of this thread is a pure monk shuri build which makes all my points about activated attacks + adrenalines/unbridled irrelevant.  That is also why I feel that pure is a second tier shuri compared to the ranger, fighter, or rogue splash versions.  On a pure monk, SD or LD with a focus on SA probably is the best option since you have no activated attacks to synergize with FotW. 

Just wanted to put this info out there for anyone that might be reading up on shuricannon builds in general and trying to decide which type of build to go with.

this is an accurate and well laid out explanation of current state throwers, IMO.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 5:12pm:
In comparison to "terrible" bow Furyshot which I'd happy provide footage of on chosen target. Still can pop 90k+ vorpal arrow on helpless.

still the highest burst dps in game. by far. not even close. retains the title even in r10.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #33 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:09pm:

Yes, it's burst but it doesn't compare to Unbridled and constantly regenerating adrenalines.  I give Shadowdancer and a SA focused shuri build a go for a few months before coming to that conclusion, too.

Wipe wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 5:12pm:
Anyone has this on live ? Without epeening nonsense, I would be genuinely interested to see this burst in action on video perhaps.

Don't get me wrong.  The king of burst DPS is still an Arcane Archer with unbridled + manyshot + slaying arrow.

The catch is that to get Slaying Arrow, you spend 30 points that are useless when using a shuri and significantly lowers your non-burst DPS due to that.

I think the best option is the middle ground of going T5 DWS instead.   Better non-burst DPS across the board and still solid burst DPS.  It's definitely a personal preference thing though.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2017 at 10:15pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:51am
Print Post  
As much as I like the idea of a pure monk my problem is I'd get bored of just chucking stars with no active attacks. Yes you can pick up a few in epics, but I have to survive heroics first... My strongest and favorite builds so far have been throwers, but since the recent nerfs I haven't attempted to make another one yet. Seems all hope is not lost.

IP Logged

MisterHank
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Dude you dont have manyshot kill yourself.

IP Logged

phil
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
What did you take for skills ? Hide, Concentration and Balance ?  There aren't many points available.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #37 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 11:24am
Print Post  
UMD, Hide, Concentration Balance

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #38 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 10:23am
Print Post  
phil wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 8:33pm:
What did you take for skills ? Hide, Concentration and Balance ?  There aren't many points available.

With a +4 Int tome and 8 Int, you can almost max out 4 skills. In game, I actually went:

Concentration 23
Hide 23
Spot 20
Tumble 1
UMD 11

Balance is pretty worthless at end game. The DC to get back up after a knockdown is only 15 and is covered on pretty much any build by epic skill ranks + skill tome or GH. Even in heavy armor. Platemail of the Celestial Avenger is armor check -0 believe it or not, as is Legendary Executioner's Plate. Legendary Breaker of Bodies is only -1.

The only other balance roll I know of is DC 35 vs warforged titans, easily (more than) covered covered by this build's dex bonus.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2017 at 10:45am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

phil
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
ty 5 Foot
I'm only lvl 4 now, but wanted to do skills per this build.
I crafted a shuri/kama combo for lvl 3 with doublshot, tendon slice, seeker, and acid and with a Frozen Tunic on it's doing well at these low levels.

Was there a particular leveling order you did for enhancements ?  I mean did u do all ninja first, then racial or harper ?  I know I will get them all eventually, just wondered what trees are important first.

Another question.. Are the enhancements in Ninjutsu only going to proc if I attack with handwraps ?  If so, why did you take those for a shuri thrower ?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #40 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't bother crafting shuri since the named ones are quite good. The new Nicked Kama is a very good low level offhand. I also have an old CC max tendon slice one and an old rangom gen deception + seeker one that is good once you switch to Snowstar. At higher heroic levels I am a big fan of Treason.

As for enhancements I mostly just wing it, I don't mind resetting them every few levels. Your first priority needs to always be 6 points in NS for dex to damage. After that it depends what difficulty you are running. If you run reaper with skeletons or other blunt DR, you'll probably want to grab Deft Strikes and 1-3 Henshin cores for melee damage since the shuri are going to do zero damage in some situations. 8 points in Henshin are wanted anyway when you can afford them for passive ki regen for 10k stars. After that it's mostly NS and racial for as much damage as you can get. Harper comes last.

The Ninjutsu enhancements passively add +1 to hit and damage now. I never use the toggle/proc part.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Think i have a shuri set done.

armor toee res +12 fort 150
off hand toee parry 6/ swap lgs 15/7 int for kta
mainhand vac lgs/ dawnbringer

hands new I dex 9 gloves
neck epic golden guile imp decep/ghostly/bluff 20
ring 1 new pinnacle ring
ring 2 profane

head executioner's helm
trinket cc devotion/ hamp/ ins con
wrists* slaver 45 sheltering/ deception 14/ tendon slice 14/4 q dex
back cc cloak spell saves/ dodge / ins mrr
waist* slaver belt  17 con/ AP 14/ 22 hide/ 4 q con
feet new dex 19 boots
eyes cc wis/ TSight/ I wis
quiver grim barret
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:33am by Rubbinns »  

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Do Spell Saves stack with Resistance?  I thought it was just another specialized resistance type that didn't stack.

It's so lame we have to use a 6 year old piece of gear because devs refuse to put Improved Deception on new items.  With Ghostly slotted on gear, do you change your level 26 ED feat to Adamantine?  I realize Holy Strike has a minor DPS component (I assume it doesn't scale with ranged power). I'd assume you'd want to slot Dawnbringer with Ruby of Night for the non-undead, and a second one with Ruby of Vampire Slayer for undead.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 11:53am by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 11:47am:
Do Spell Saves stack with Resistance? 

Yes.

With Ghostly slotted on gear, do you change your level 26 ED feat to Adamantine?

Seems like the best fit. Should also probably be lawful good so that twisting blessed blades covers good and lawful.

(I assume it doesn't scale with ranged power)

I don't know if it does. Assuming it does not. dawn+energy rain is probably the best general trash beater. Will Ravenloft have a star with sovereign disruption? I'm thinking not as Morninglord isn't really a shuriken type. Does lv24 estar have greater disruption? I don't remember there being one back when i abused druid treasure properties and had all the stars. Does it makes sense in high reaper to use heroic gs triple positive? A holy, good burst/blast greater disruption?

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #44 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:27am:

hands new I dex 9 gloves
ring 1 new pinnacle ring
ring 2 profane

head executioner's helm
feet new dex 19 boots
quiver grim barret

Dawnbringer? Because of VOrpal and orange slot for level drain?

What am I missing here?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 4:47pm:
Dawnbringer? Because of VOrpal and orange slot for level drain?

What am I missing here?

yeah, just sov vorpal and neg levels.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #46 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 5:25pm:
yeah, just sov vorpal and neg levels.

Why not Crippling Flames and a level drain Aug on TF T3? That's what I always used.

Also, I made but never tested an enervation shuriken to try and figure out the actual proc rate. Does anyone know for sure? I think it's 33% on crit but I don't actually know for certain
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:05pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #47 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:27am:

hands new I dex 9 gloves
ring 1 new pinnacle ring
ring 2 profane

head executioner's helm
feet new dex 19 boots
quiver grim barret

Pretty close to what I currently run with aside from the new items. 

This really highlights how little it's worth all the gear tetris and additional farming for such minor upgrades since SSG insists on randomizing which stats go in which slots with every update instead of making them linear and consistent...

If memory serves correctly, the doubleshot and ranged power from the Dynamistic Quiver don't stack with the cc crafted doubleshot and the ranged power on Ring of Prowess.  While the 1d10 the Quiver of Poison isn't much, it's better than nothing.

I use eLitany instead of the ring from Black and Blue out of laziness.  Already had the Litany and can't be bothered to farm Black & Blue.  I think it's about the same either way.  +4 profane dmg vs +4 quality deadly.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #48 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
there's some junk in here about it, with Xyfiel claiming a dev told him the formula and Firewall arguing with him. Not sure who is wrong and who is right.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/453877-Best-level-drain-epic-melee-bui...
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:14pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #49 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 5:59pm:
Why not Crippling Flames and a level drain Aug on TF T3? That's what I always used.

Also, I made but never tested an enervation shuriken to try and figure out the actual proc rate. Does anyone know for sure? I think it's 33% on crit but I don't actually know for certain

Vorpal is for high-skull reaper runs.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:14pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
Send TopicPrint