Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Spell Resistance Mechanics? (Read 3702 times)
hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Spell Resistance Mechanics?
Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
According to the release notes drow, dg, etc. stack with everything now including monk. Given that ssg are lying sacks of shit, what is the actual case? Anybody have a drow or dg with 14 monk, does it actually stack?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Spell Resistance Mechanics?
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
A drow or dg 14 monk?   Seems like an unlikely build.   For thrower I'd not go that deep into monk.   For a melee monk I'd not pick those races.

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 6:12pm:
A drow or dg 14 monk?   Seems like an unlikely build.   For thrower I'd not go that deep into monk.   For a melee monk I'd not pick those races.

Agreed for endgame, asking more for rtr, have to do drow racials at some point on that toon. Also, the root of the question is curiosity more than anything.

IP Logged

knockcocker
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 8:18am
Print Post  
hydra wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:28pm:
According to the release notes drow, dg, etc. stack with everything now including monk. Given that ssg are lying sacks of shit, what is the actual case? Anybody have a drow or dg with 14 monk, does it actually stack?

Thanks.

Guess what, they are lying sacks of shit!.  It doesn't stack with racial base - but does stack with
racial enhancements.  Lvl15 drow monk - base SR = 25 (diamond soul is 10 + monk level).   Taking
two tiers of racial SR gives 29.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:05am
Print Post  
What's the fucking point anyway ?

Made spell resist + insight spell resist cloak on my level 10 drow, total 30 spell resist, and failing every single dispel in 2 or 3 skull at level I duo.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:05am:
What's the fucking point anyway ?

Made spell resist + insight spell resist cloak on my level 10 drow, total 30 spell resist, and failing every single dispel in 2 or 3 skull at level I duo.

I'm pretty sure after the SR nerf, that the devs raised the spell pen and sr of certain mobs in reaper.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:28am:
I'm pretty sure after the SR nerf, that the devs raised the spell pen and sr of certain mobs in reaper.

It's almost like they learned how SR works, just for the "fix", then discovered they didn't like how it could sometimes be beneficial to players. From a more competent company, I'd say the "fix" was just very clever spin & nerf was intended all along.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 1:41am
Print Post  
I made this thread on the 10th.  Clearly they already had the current system ready for the patch that week(which I didn't know was going to be that week).  It doesn't cover everything but looked good to me as a starting spot.

Have you already come to a conclusion on how to change it again or do we still have time for proposals? I expected something like this and still think it would work best. It allows for future developments and can be within the d20 for balance.

The following have the same type:
Racial: Drow, Deep Gnome, future(i.e. Duergar)
Class: Monk 13+
Item: enchantment
Spell: Single and Mass versions, Dragonmark

Racial is 10 + char level for 40 max
Class is 10 + char level for 40 max
Items were reported as 34 max crafted which would be fine
Spell is 12 + caster level so 32 base, 37 in Divine destiny
Dwarf Dragonmark would be 42 if char level so might need adjusting
This is not affected by a level increase.

Additional type need to be able to stay within a d20.
Items: Insight and Quality
Paladin : Make it a specific stacking bonus.
Drow: Make it the same bonus as Paladins.
GMoF: Make the core the same type as Drow and Paladins.
Serenity: Stacks with everything. It is common to twist in an ability to max something out and this would fit in with that.
Mind over Magic: I can see a few ways to handle it but I never used it so will refrain.

This leave us with multiple ways to get 32-40 base SR with items and spells being a bit lower but still usable.
6 more from a specific class, racial, or destiny.
9 from a twist.
X from insight and quality items.

From here we(devs) can determine what the numbers need to be and adjust insight/quality items with the max from above to reach their target per level. Examples showing d20.
40 Drow + 6 racial + 17 insight + 9 quality + 9 serenity = 81
34 Item + 17 insight + 9 quality + 9 serenity = 69
37 Spell(divine sphere) + 17 insight + 9 quality = 63
32 Spell(non divine sphere) + 17 insight + 9 quality + 9 serenity = 67
32 Spell(non divine sphere) + 17 insight + 9 quality + 6 paladin = 64
32 Spell(non divine sphere) + 17 insight + 9 quality = 58

With this we have someone who gets the spell cast on them from a 20 divine and uses a only 2 of 3 items would still almost be within the d20 of a maxed out character. Any character with a medium effort(items and twist) towards SR would be within it. Balancing further for reaper is a whole other mess.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Trollero wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 1:41am:
I made this thread on the 10th.  Clearly they already had the current system ready for the patch that week(which I didn't know was going to be that week).  It doesn't cover everything but looked good to me as a starting spot.

Have you already come to a conclusion on how to change it again or do we still have time for proposals? I expected something like this and still think it would work best. It allows for future developments and can be within the d20 for balance.

The following have the same type:
Racial: Drow, Deep Gnome, future(i.e. Duergar)
Class: Monk 13+
Item: enchantment
Spell: Single and Mass versions, Dragonmark

Racial is 10 + char level for 40 max
Class is 10 + char level for 40 max
Items were reported as 34 max crafted which would be fine
Spell is 12 + caster level so 32 base, 37 in Divine destiny
Dwarf Dragonmark would be 42 if char level so might need adjusting
This is not affected by a level increase.

Additional type need to be able to stay within a d20.
Items: Insight and Quality
Paladin : Make it a specific stacking bonus.
Drow: Make it the same bonus as Paladins.
GMoF: Make the core the same type as Drow and Paladins.
Serenity: Stacks with everything. It is common to twist in an ability to max something out and this would fit in with that.
Mind over Magic: I can see a few ways to handle it but I never used it so will refrain.

This leave us with multiple ways to get 32-40 base SR with items and spells being a bit lower but still usable.
6 more from a specific class, racial, or destiny.
9 from a twist.
X from insight and quality items.

From here we(devs) can determine what the numbers need to be and adjust insight/quality items with the max from above to reach their target per level. Examples showing d20.
40 Drow + 6 racial + 17 insight + 9 quality + 9 serenity = 81
34 Item + 17 insight + 9 quality + 9 serenity = 69
37 Spell(divine sphere) + 17 insight + 9 quality = 63
32 Spell(non divine sphere) + 17 insight + 9 quality + 9 serenity = 67
32 Spell(non divine sphere) + 17 insight + 9 quality + 6 paladin = 64
32 Spell(non divine sphere) + 17 insight + 9 quality = 58

With this we have someone who gets the spell cast on them from a 20 divine and uses a only 2 of 3 items would still almost be within the d20 of a maxed out character. Any character with a medium effort(items and twist) towards SR would be within it. Balancing further for reaper is a whole other mess.

This post is likely more time and thought than SSG put into the SR changes.

Likely somebody on the Dev team caught wind of somebody's Drow Occult Slayer SR build from 2 years ago and had their Asberger's driven into a tizzy over the numbers not being what they expected.

SR wasn't ever an issue. I don't know how or why they felt this mechanic needed fixing. I don't know that I've run in any group with decent players who spared slot for SR on their build or gear set.

The devs already don't know how to separate mob CR from Caster Level, an issue that's plagued this game for years.

Because a SR check is caster level + d20 (assuming they kept this mechanic).

A CR 64 caster will blast through all but the most dedicated SR build, even pre-nerf, because a standard EE mob with an average roll of (let's be generous) 11 would blow through 75 SR no problem.

And that's assuming a standard EE trash caster.

When you get orange or red names or that cunt Vampire from Study in Sable (CR 68, I believe) they notion of saves become laughable, never mind usable SR.

If I was hazarding a guess, I'd say the reason for these changes was because the Drow mobs and Drow PC race use a similar (or the same) call to the base code on an SR check, and they couldn't figure out how to separate them and make it work with other forms of SR.

So nerf it all from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.  Roll Eyes

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:29am:
Because a SR check is caster level + d20 (assuming they kept this mechanic).

A CR 64 caster will blast through all but the most dedicated SR build, even pre-nerf, because a standard EE mob with an average roll of (let's be generous) 11 would blow through 75 SR no problem.

And that's assuming a standard EE trash caster.

Hard to say actual Cl of mobs because it isn't always full CR. An OS barb had a video from a few years ago detailing exact SR needed to ignore the EEGoP end boss Beholder, which has a CR of 80. If the actual CL was true to its CR of 80 then a SR of 100 would be needed to no-fail against it. It was not the case, a SR of 90+ was enough to safely ignore its spells, but anything below and it would no longer be a no fail. That places his actual CL at 70, or 10 below his CR of 80. This was his general take on SR and CL mob values. It wasn't tested on every boss, or every raid boss, and some mobs might have full CL. The vid is no longer up, but I did get to speak to him about it before he quit(he was from my server).

The pre-nerf SR items granted 76 which was enough to ignore most mobs of cr 65 and and every single caster below 55. Even with full CL of 65, a SR of 76 gives 50% chance to ignore. Was def worth a slot. But now it's fucking trash with reduced values and behind the scenes buffing of CL and SR for reaper mobs.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:49am by Rubbinns »  

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:49am:
An OS barb had a video from a few years ago detailing exact SR needed to ignore the EEGoP end boss Beholder, which has a CR of 80.

I remeber that video. It was kept it in the back of my mind when I wrote my comment.

He used a Dwarf for Max CON + TYWA. Great niche build, iirc. (MOAR DORFZ!!!)

But he was SORELY butthurt over the nerfs THEN. He'd have been apoplectic over these changes.

As for the numbers... I remain dubious of anything SSG states.

I am still not convinced that the "behind the scenes" generators we see on our combat logs or dice icons are not simply showing "fields" of larger number groups.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a lot of the mechanics are actually using divisibles of 1000 behind the scenes, but that may be pure speculation. Unless they open the base code to the public, we can only hypothesize.

I also agree that you may have been able to get serviceable SR numbers pre-Nerf. I never managed it. Building for Max Saves and SR was one of the (many) reasons I gave up (almost entirely) on Epic gameplay.

The ROI simply wasn't there.

YMMV.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:11pm:
It's almost like they learned how SR works, just for the "fix", then discovered they didn't like how it could sometimes be beneficial to players. From a more competent company, I'd say the "fix" was just very clever spin & nerf was intended all along.

yup.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/488487-Is-Spell-Resistance-on-enemies-...

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint