Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Thief-Acrobat solo build? (Read 6758 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Thief-Acrobat solo build?
Jul 27th, 2017 at 3:48am
Print Post  
I spent a day playing one of my alts to raise her a few levels* and was really, really surprised how well she performed and how much fun the throw together T/A build** was.

I only threw two pieces of decent gear her way, the rest was total starter gear, but she completely held her own in all the reaper quests I ran as well the elite quests I soloed.  Even jumping in with a guildie well under level for Tear, my champion T/A completely kept up where I expected her to spend most of her time as a soul stone.

I was leaning towards LRing a different class to get my rogue past lives, but now I'm kind of curious to play with an acrobat build instead.  Has anyone else tried it?

I'm thinking maybe a level of barb for speed and boost to THF and probably at least a level of fighter for the skills boost, outside of that I really have no idea where to go (except Monk, still don't have it and won't have it till it goes on sale).  No clue what to do for race either.  Horc cause they look cool with staffs?  Human for mark of passage?  Elf for the dex?  Any ideas at all?

*Not that it matters, but I had a few tomes I wanted to get out of her inventory left over from back in the day when Turbine used to actually sometimes give us cool, free stuff.  You know, you wouldn't play for 6 months or so and when you logged back in all your toons would have extra items in their inventories.

**Yeah, I know you're supposed to go crossbow not acrobat, but I'm sorry, I can't do it.  I usually play ranged in every game but ddo.  That whole running backwards thing while trying to thin out the mob just...looks so silly to me.  I've tried it, I just can't do it.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Re: Thief-Acrobat solo build?
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 6:40am
Print Post  
I wouldn't mind if someone spoonfed me a horc ta build. Need rogue PL, bought half-orc in few weeks ago...

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I did a barb/rogue stick build a few years ago.  I will look it up when not at work and see what was broke since then.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 11:07am
Print Post  
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1490288469

I'd probably go human, though warforged would be fun if you aren't focusing on reaper and can UMD reconstruct scrolls early. Just running to 20 then?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 11:26am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 11:07am:
Just running to 20 then?

Yeah, just for a TR.

No splash, really?  Haven't looked into it yet (and haven't done much with fighters ever or the new barb trees) but I thought a splash might buff up the power.  Very rare for them to design a tree that holds up well enough on its own Wink

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 11:26am:
Yeah, just for a TR.

No splash, really?  Haven't looked into it yet (and haven't done much with fighters ever or the new barb trees) but I thought a splash might buff up the power.  Very rare for them to design a tree that holds up well enough on its own Wink

I mean you could get a couple feats early or a small damage boost with druid, but I figured there's not much point in front-loading if you're not starting at level 1 and the level 18 TA core is crazy strong.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
The most important part of any stick build is to farm your named quarterstaves beforehand.
- Elemental Bloom will be one of your trusty sidekicks in heroics.  It has an enhanced crit range and multiplier that stacks with the TA enhancements.
- Greensteel triple positive is your other main sidekick as heroics has a metric fuck ton of undead to fight.
- Light Unending will be your DR breaker.

As for build advice:
- If you’re just doing heroics, you’re probably best off going pure rogue.  You already have access to fast movement in the TA tree.  The level 18 core is really nice.  You should be rocking a 50+% doublestrike by level 18.
- If you go into epics, I would recommend pure or the 2 monk splash.  The capstone is basically Tier 1 Dance of Death + auto trip with a quarterstaff. 
- Your primary defenses will be Dodge, and Deception.  In fact, you may find filling out your Max Dodge to be your #1 gearing problem.
- Don’t fear the THF chain.  AoE sneak attack is fun.
- Do not stress out about getting the Killer enhancement from the Assassin tree.  It doesn't stack with Quick Strike.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Obviously not a rogue past life, but pretty close to what I did.  My memory had this more on the rogue levels.
As mentioned, get your staves before you start.  Things changed a bit since I ran this and it is likely better to run with the berserker tree than the halfling tree that I did.  In the end, I made it to 30 without being too gimpy.

New Build
13/7 Barbarian/Rogue
Chaotic Neutral Halfling

Level Order

1. Rogue           6. Rogue          11. Barbarian      16. Barbarian
2. Rogue           7. Rogue          12. Barbarian      17. Barbarian
3. Rogue           8. Barbarian      13. Barbarian      18. Barbarian
4. Rogue           9. Barbarian      14. Barbarian      19. Barbarian
5. Rogue          10. Barbarian      15. Barbarian      20. Barbarian

Stats
               36pt     Tome     Level Up
               ----     ----     --------
Strength        14       +5       4: DEX
Dexterity       20       +5       8: DEX
Constitution    14       +5      12: DEX
Intelligence    12       +5      16: DEX
Wisdom           8       +5      20: DEX
Charisma         8       +5      

Skills
          R  R  R  R  R  R  R  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B
          1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
         ------------------------------------------------------------
Disable   4  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
Search    4  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
UMD       4  1  1  1  1  1  1  ½  1        1     1  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  16½
Heal                        ½  ½     1  1     1     1  1  1  1  1  1  10
Open Lo   4  1  1  1  1  1  1                                         10
Spot      4  1  1  1  1  1  1                                         10
Bluff     4  1  1  1  1  1  1                                         10
Hide      4  1  1  1  1  1  1                                         10
Tumble    4  1  1  1  1  1  1                                         10
Jump      2  1  1  1                                                   5
Swim      2           1  1  1                                          5
         ------------------------------------------------------------
         36  9  9  9  9  9 10  6  6  6  6  6  6  6  7  7  7  7  7  7

Feats

1        : Least Dragonmark: Healing
3        : Two Handed Fighting
6        : Weapon Focus: Bludgeoning
9        : Power Critical
12        : Improved Critical: Bludgeoning
15        : Improved Two Handed Fighting
18        : Greater Two Handed Fighting

Enhancements (80 AP)

Thief-Acrobat (40 AP)
  • Staff Control, Stick Fighting[list=1]
  • Acrobat Staff Training, Thief Acrobatics III, Fast Movement
  • Acrobat Staff Training, Subtlety III, Quick Strike III, Haste Boost III
  • Acrobat Staff Training, Improved Glancing Blows III, Sweeping Strikes III
  • Acrobat Staff Training, Staff Lunge III
  • Acrobat Staff Training, Staff Specialization

Occult Slayer (23 AP)
  • Weapon Bond, Resistance, Elemental Defense, Blank Thoughts[list=1]
  • Ear Smash III, Uncanny Dodger III, Awareness II
  • Knockout III, Lessons of Travel III
  • Kinetic Bond III
  • Driving Force II

Halfling (17 AP)
  • Halfling Luck, Dexterity[list=1]
  • Jorasco Dragonmark Focus III, Cunning III
  • Lesser Dragonmark of Healing, Break out the Leeches, Halfling Guile
  • Greater Dragonmark of Healing, Halfling Guile
  • Halfling Guile

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Toke wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
Obviously not a rogue past life, but pretty close to what I did.

Looks interesting, I may play with the build for one of my barb lives, I've considered trying a pure dex barb for years now.

They always talk about barbs being glass cannons, but they're only glass cannons if you make them out of glass.  Biggest mistake a lot of barbs make is completely ignoring dex.  They put it all in str and really only end up with two additional points more str than my builds.  Big difference (besides I use tomes and max dex gear) is they kill in one swing what it takes me a swing and a glancing blow to kill, but they spend a lot of their time tripped or as a soul stone because they have shit for saving throws.

I wouldn't bother putting any points in swim or probably not any in hide (with how well sneaking doesn't work any more).  Those points would go further in balance.  Looks fun though.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I think I was thinking of getting hide for the destiny feat that gave extra damage, but likely got sidetracked.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint