Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) WTF?! A consensus?! (Read 7738 times)
HernandoCortez
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

WTF?! A consensus?!
Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/488519-General-Reminder-Your-servers-a...

I thought I would never see the day a consensus was achieved at those forums... nobody disagrees DDO is dying now?

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Re: WTF?! A consensus?!
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Even fuckwits and ass lickers have to face facts once in awhile.

When Turbine spun off DDO and LotRO it was to avoid having to pay severance to shit for brains Jerry and the rest of the ass wipes, they knew the games only had a short life left.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
HernandoCortez wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:32pm:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/488519-General-Reminder-Your-servers-a...

I thought I would never see the day a consensus was achieved at those forums... nobody disagrees DDO is dying now?

You call whats happening in that thread a "consensus"?

You have some people reasonably asking for server mergers, and other idiots unreasonably asking to add MORE servers. Oh, but with different niche play-styles. Because while one group of smart people agrees that the player base is fractured, another group of dumbasses thinks its not fractured enough.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:54am
Print Post  
The only consensus is that more players per server would be a good thing.   

That's a consensus in the same way that a more hot chicks at a party is better than less.  It's a "no shit Sherlock" consensus. 

Beyond that nobody really agrees what to do about it.  The same as most of the mobo posters would have no idea how to get more hot chicks to attend their parties. 

Wipe said it well in another thread:

Wipe wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:35am:
Fran's mistake is that he speaks in absolutes that just aren't true.  And entitled mentality of small child ( but that's mobos in general lol ). That's what really pisses people off.

That childlike entitlement is what makes them keep making "server merge" threads despite repeated statements from turbine and now ssg that its not happening.  But when my kids were 4 they would keep asking for ice cream over and over and over despite being told No.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Even if they did merge servers there's a pretty good chance that the people not playing with others now are still going to not play with others then, and you'd have more bitching for another server merge >.>

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:54am:
Beyond that nobody really agrees what to do about it.  The same as most of the mobo posters would have no idea how to get more hot chicks to attend their parties. 

Just get the DJ to play Dave Mathews Band.

Hot chicks will appear like magic.

Everyone else will bleed from the ears, nose and mouth, hoping for a swift and merciful death...

But Hey: Hot Chicks.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Count Dante
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 9:48am
Print Post  
The end is nigh  Grin

Grand wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 12:08am:
I'm a big believer in the old adage saw that you should never make a bet you can't afford to lose!

Welcher.

IP Logged

Gramh_the_Bard
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:45am
Print Post  
burn it all! burn it!

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 11:21am
Print Post  

That's a consensus in the same way that a more hot chicks at a party is better than less.  It's a "no shit Sherlock" consensus. 

Wipe said it well in another thread:

That childlike entitlement is what makes them keep making "server merge" threads despite repeated statements from turbine and now ssg that its not happening.  But when my kids were 4 they would keep asking for ice cream over and over and over despite being told No. 

Yeah, but not that long ago there were always a few shit for brains that would argue that there were plenty of people on every server and that people just needed to post more LFM's. Those ass wipes seem to have finally shut the fuck up because even they realized that you can't go full retard.

Having everyone admit that the population of DDO is fucking pathetic is about as close to a consensus as you'll ever see in that room of fucking brainless boot lickers.

Pardon my French. 

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
ive always believed that 2 things needed to occur to make this game last longer:

1) all quests should have adopted the CR system from crystal cove. any player opening a quest should be able to pick any CR from 1-40 for any quest

2) an opt in method of automatically scaling a players gear and level to any chosen level, to negate over leveling penalties while allowing them to play with their friends of any level without penalizing players for playing together despite being at different points in the system

these changes would have been most effective if implemented along side MotU

reaper, BB, endless reincarnation cycles, quickly invalidated gear, compartmentalized shards, all only serve to further divide the player base as they all are or create incompatible goals for individuals- forcing players to divide, rather than working together on shared goals

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 12:55pm:
ive always believed that 2 things needed to occur to make this game last longer:

1) all quests should have adopted the CR system from crystal cove. any player opening a quest should be able to pick any CR from 1-40 for any quest

2) an opt in method of automatically scaling a players gear and level to any chosen level, to negate over leveling penalties while allowing them to play with their friends of any level without penalizing players for playing together despite being at different points in the system

reaper, BB, endless reincarnation cycles, quickly invalidated gear, compartmentalized shards, all only serve to further divide the player base as they all are or create incompatible goals for individuals- forcing players to divide, rather than working together on shared goals

I call this the "Destiny method".

It does do very well to make X content feel like X^2
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2017 at 1:34pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I'm kinda meh on the whole "de-level your character to run with people who are much lower than you" thing.  But that might be because I've never played a game where that was an option, so i'm not seeing the advantages. 

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 1:52pm:
I'm kinda meh on the whole "de-level your character to run with people who are much lower than you" thing.  But that might be because I've never played a game where that was an option, so i'm not seeing the advantages. 

Skyforge and ESO has this.
I like it but ONLY because it makes group with friends easier.
Usually the scaling is done poorly.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Also I love the amount of rage I cause in that thread... rofl

They are tearing each other apart.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 12:55pm:

So fucking true.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 2:24am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 8:25pm:
You have some people reasonably asking for server mergers, and other idiots unreasonably asking to add MORE servers. Oh, but with different niche play-styles.

Yep, far from a consensus... Well there's one though : they all agree that some kind of transfer should be somehow free on a limited basis.
( note : I didn't read the full thread, just the first page... because usually after the first 20 posts it has devoved into jerry's little asslickers against the rest of the world or, in this specific case, Franny against the rest of the world. ) 

Yes, and I have no hope that they will get more... The best way to get more players is to raise the awareness that the game (still ) exists. I don't see any add, I don't see any mention in WoTC page of the game, I don't expect to see any mention of it when the D&D movie comes out... ( that last one could be a huge boost to player number if SSG do it right [ with complete game rehash, new graphic, new UI with all the missing things we asked so long ago, lots of bug fixing ], but I don't expect them to do it right ( and on time, nor to manage to be able to get DDO associated to the movie )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 2:27am
Print Post  
In the meantime, Server merge would mean for SSG to solve the issues tied to Guilds, Guild Names and ships as well as Character names and so on...
Since it's a fucking mess, since I don't think any of the currernt crop of Devs ( except maybe Torc ) wxas there for the last time and since SSG knows it's a fucking mess, they are probably not going to do any merge... It's cheaper and more financially effective for them to bring new content and tweak system. ( and it looks better on The Resume )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 9:50am
Print Post  
On basic principle I'm all for server mergers to help improve the game.

On the other hand, when your landlord is too fucking incompetent to handle even basic repairs without making things far worse, would you really trust them to pack up all your shit, load it in a truck and drive it half-way across the country to another locations...where they're still going to be in charge of maintenance and repairs?

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Satanscock
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 9:50am:
On basic principle I'm all for server mergers to help improve the game.

On the other hand, when your landlord is too fucking incompetent to handle even basic repairs without making things far worse, would you really trust them to pack up all your shit, load it in a truck and drive it half-way across the country to another locations...where they're still going to be in charge of maintenance and repairs?

this

let me TR your guild on another server

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Even if they did merge servers there's a pretty good chance that the people not playing with others now are still going to not play with others then, and you'd have more bitching for another server merge >.>

Obviously there should only be one "server."...There was no upside to segregating the player base in the first place.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:45pm:
Obviously there should only be one "server."...There was no upside to segregating the player base in the first place.

If the servers lag when they're a ghost town, I cringe to think what it would be like with a healthy population load on them.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #21 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:20am
Print Post  
But when my kids were 4 they would keep asking for ice cream over and over and over despite being told No. 

We talkin' about 1912, right? Grin Grin

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #22 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:09pm:
If the servers lag when they're a ghost town, I cringe to think what it would be like with a healthy population load on them.

This seems like faulty logic. If the servers lag when they're a ghost town, then obviously that lag has nothing to do with population.

Further, we know from the oracle archive that Thelanis and Khyber both used to have more logins than all of the servers combined currently have, and everyone agrees that there was less lag back then, so obviously current lag has nothing to do with population.

Again, since the worlds are now virtual servers and hardware is cheap, if population load were to be a problem in the future, they could simply add physical servers to the cluster (EVE style) until it can handle the load.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #23 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:37am
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:20am:
We talkin' about 1912, right? Grin Grin

Lol.  Yep.  a gallon cost a nickel.  Only problem was we had to walk to the store 5 miles in the snow, up hill, both ways.  But we worked hard and it built character...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #24 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:40am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:33am:
This seems like faulty logic. If the servers lag when they're a ghost town, then obviously that lag has nothing to do with population.

Further, we know from the oracle archive that Thelanis and Khyber both used to have more logins than all of the servers combined currently have, and everyone agrees that there was less lag back then, so obviously current lag has nothing to do with population.

Again, since the worlds are now virtual servers and hardware is cheap, if population load were to be a problem in the future, they could simply add physical servers to the cluster (EVE style) until it can handle the load.

Due to the instanced nature of the game, it would seem that the server environments should be capable of increased concurrent user loads without lag, given sufficient processor, memory resources, and I/O
and bandwidth. Scaling up should be an option.  if they are in a datacenter on a virtual, scaling up could even be dynamic.  With hardware assets and scaling out, as before, you might run into problems with short term spikes in load.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint