Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Reaper And Players Who Quit. (Read 10747 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reaper And Players Who Quit.
Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Tilo started a new thread. Most of what he says is correct.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/489477-View-on-Reaper-from-Games-most-...

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Re: Reaper And Players Who Quit.
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
SeveredSteel Quote:
little baby that cries and takes his ball home.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Trollero
Waterworks Kobold

Got IDD?

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Having a lot of views makes you an expert?  I know many are but I'm just saying.

He can't know for 100% why people left and even some he said did have posted in the thread he was wrong.  Biased data to push an agenda.

About that agenda.  They know and NDA...

Game is cyclical, wait for the next cycle?  This isn't something new.

IP Logged

Magneto
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Sure thing.

I made 20 racials as warlock and stopped play that class. Made some lifes as mechanic, and now fighter. Way more action. More spirit of ddo. Backstabbing movement and fun.
And wil you join my guild ?
NO WARLOCK SYNIDICATE
JOKE Grin

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Interesting.

I am no expert on Reaper and don't keep obsessive tabs on the game's development on the times when I do take a break from the game, but I have felt for a long time that melee builds have been becoming increasingly suboptimal. It's at a point now where it's just not possible to consistently play melee builds in heroic reaper or even elites. There are just so many things in the game that favor ranged or caster builds over melee. Monster champions are the #1 mistake I think Turbine never should've put into the game. It's just not possible for me to return to DDO for any long period of time and still enjoy it, simply because of the extent to which champions ruin the game's design.

Again, I don't know 100% of the details behind game balance, but I remember when Warlocks came out they were ridiculously OP and even after constant nerfs, they still seem to me to be the most powerful class in the game. Recently when I hopped onto the game, it seemed 30%-40% of the people are playing Warlocks, and every quest where there's a Warlock, the difficulty is SIGNIFICANTLY easier.  I suppose it's somewhat reassuring to see that others also see the same flaws in the game that I do. But then again, these are fairly obvious flaws so I'd also be worried if NOBODY saw them.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
Monster champions are the #1 mistake I think Turbine never should've put into the game. It's just not possible for me to return to DDO for any long period of time and still enjoy it, simply because of the extent to which champions ruin the game's design.

I hate champions, too. Game for me was more enjoyable before them. But that was only one of the issues facing melee. I stopped meleeing over 2 years ago. The day mechs were revamped and released on live. Swapped out of strictly meleeing into shiradis and mechs. Was just infinitely easier to reduce incoming damage, spend less time healing, and more time dpsing from a distance.

The game kept on getting progressively worse for melees from then on. Someone convinced Sev that one shot deaths were fun and players would love it. Turns out it had the exact opposite effect and the proof is in the population. Barely anyone left, build diversity is shit, no one even posts achievements now aside wiz and rys. Not like many were even doing that 6 to 8 months ago. All the players that posted in sestra's youtube thread are now gone. Most of the players that posted about builds here are gone. Most of the guilds that posted videos are gone. Most of my friends list is gone. Can't imagine they're happy over at SSG. I would be panicking like a mofo if I were there. But they will never admit they are gay and retarded, and will never make this game better again. They have painted themselves into a corner and will not repaint the whole thing over.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Cetus quit? A few years too late for me to derive any game enjoyment from it, but I'm glad the cunt's unhappy.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:26am:
I hate champions, too. Game for me was more enjoyable before them. But that was only one of the issues facing melee. I stopped meleeing over 2 years ago. The day mechs were revamped and released on live. Swapped out of strictly meleeing into shiradis and mechs. Was just infinitely easier to reduce incoming damage, spend less time healing, and more time dpsing from a distance.

The game kept on getting progressively worse for melees from then on. Someone convinced Sev that one shot deaths were fun and players would love it. Turns out it had the exact opposite effect and the proof is in the population. Barely anyone left, build diversity is shit, no one even posts achievements now aside wiz and rys. Not like many were even doing that 6 to 8 months ago. All the players that posted in sestra's youtube thread are now gone. Most of the players that posted about builds here are gone. Most of the guilds that posted videos are gone. Most of my friends list is gone. Can't imagine they're happy over at SSG. I would be panicking like a mofo if I were there. But they will never admit they are gay and retarded, and will never make this game better again. They have painted themselves into a corner and will not repaint the whole thing over.

Solo melee build here and Champions stopped being anything resembling an issue by my 3rd life.  Yeah, a few of their stacking damage attacks are OP and should be toned down slightly, but they're really not that much of an issue.

About the only time they really suck is on those rare occasions you have a boss or end fight where 75% of the red or orange named bosses all spawn as champions.  The only actual wipe I've had since returning was at the end of Memoirs where almost all the red names were champions.  That was 3rd life and my build could have been tighter.  A few more lives under my belt and that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Outside of that, I like champions overall.  A random bump in power is a better solution than the across the board bumps in power of monsters they'd been using before hand.

Plus it gives a reason to kill and, specifically, go and kill optional red named bosses.  I have two toons I want to fully equip, so I need at least 100k remnants to do it and I love seeing those extra chests drop.

Really there's only two major changes I'd make to the champion system.  Limit how many can spawn at a time (and, honestly I'm not too concerned over that.  A group should be able to handle it, it only really effects solo players) and bump up the loot slightly.  A slightly higher chance for tomes, skill augments, or (better yet) named augments that are unique to champion chests.

Giving players a reason to open chest would be the best thing to keep this game alive.  Running through the motions knowing you can skip chests, battles and opts because it's going to be crap and not worth your time lets the game get stale (maybe not for the hardcore addicts, but for the people who left).

The quests and loot need to have some value and purpose besides being 5 to 8 minutes closer to TRing.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:45am
Print Post  
I skip rems and many many chests for the reason that its all shit.

Ok.. people running highest lvl shit they can. Reaper slavers.. get a tome.. +5?

Oh...A MOTHERFUCKING +5? Wtf you gotta run to get them 6's?... 7's? Never even seen one.. was getting +5s in epic gh.. but.. now.. maybe a +3 in there? Idk cause they dont drop anyways.

Now think about this shit im ranting about...

Whens the last time youve gotten a fucking heart of wood out of a chest? Oh 5 years or more? Oh.. never.. nice.. love them drops..

How about them sp pots..      shit... getting like 1 a life or so.. sick....

Tomes in general?..  oh.. got me a skill tome 12 lives ago.. fuck ya..

Sov pots or other xp pots.... haha ya right..lol. no xp pots in fucking years..

Is there any way to get astral shards in a chest anymore?...   Fuck no..

guild pots?.. not in years..

Cakes or other worthless store shit?.. nope

Pets? Cosmetics? Otto box types of shit?...Naw cant have dat shit in chests....

So ya... wtf is cool in the chests other than shit to decon for some crafting mats that you shouldnt fucking need by now anyways? Or so that you can slang that garbage for some plat to pay for the crazy ass prices to reset reaper pts?
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:46am by Skrilla »  

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Melee in reaper are fine.  There's just a skill abyss that most melee can't overcome/pass.

Basically if you have even a decent understanding of how basic game mechanics work and build in some decent self healing, a melee can solo R1 even on first life (fighter/cleric hybrid works fine).

If you have some EPL's and access to a triple positive GS offhand you can do R2.

This is the same level of play that all normie builds are subject to.  I assure you, no normal Mech/Arti is messing with R3+ while leveling prior to getting IPS.  Once you have 12+ charges of EF with a vorpal repeater and IPS then yes, R3 is okay.

Now here's the rub.

If some charm/IK wizard/lock comes by offering to carry bads on R6+ while they do all the heavy lifting, then you have a bit of a skill gap.

Ranged characters will still feel useful because they can sit back and pewpew while the heavy hitting DC wizard is doing all the hard work.

Blasers casters can even pretend they are contributing because every 15 mobs they accidentally get a kill and on bosses they land the occasional 2k damage nuke.  Go team!

But melee?  The hamfist tardo's that make up 99% of the community run in and die because they never bothered to figure out which mobs have a conal AE cleave.  Or they try to attack the non-CC'd champion that chaingun fucks them with crushing despair applying the chaos DoT or whatever.

So while ranged characters have this linear skill line where the better you get, the better you do...and blaster casters have this linear skill line where the better you get, the sooner you realize "fuck this blasting noise, I'm going to build for DC's and carry my own retards"...

For melee it's a skill brick wall where -until- you hit a certain skill/gear threshold, you are effectively useless.

That's the problem.  That's where most of the melee in DDO are sitting right now.  Once they get over that hump they're fine.  You can build a double vorpal/Ender melee with huge chunks of HP and enough AC/PRR to survive hits if you have a regular healer, or go full on YOLO build with dodge, dps and prayers to black jeebus.

But the people like Big or Tilo or etc...who run in, die in one hit, complain about how soulstones do zero dps because they're doing a pure paladin build because it used to be good 3 years ago...

The question really is should SSG find a way to add a linear hamfist 'my first melee' training wheels for carry melee.  Some kind of code that detects, "Okay this idiot is being carried by a better group, let's give him a ghost-immunity shield where he doesn't get hit unless at least 3 other players are dead."
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:21am by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:51am
Print Post  
A)  Tilo is using an Appeal to Authority fallacy as well as an Appeal to the masses fallacy to try to add weight to his opinion that reaper is tougher on melees than casters or ranged.  I don't get why people keep going to this well.  Just state your opinion.  You don't need 4 out of 5 dentists prefer Crest Whitening and, also, Warlocks in Reaper.

Side Note:  It is funny that one of the players he says quit posts within a few hours telling him how wrong he is.  Nothing like pretending like you have inside knowledge of these "master builders" only to find out you are Jon Snow (You know nothing)

B)  All the people who then pop in and say: Melees are fine.  I enjoy my melee on R1.  (Duh.  R1 is no harder than Elite.  Easier with 10 or more reaper AP.  You better be able to handle R1.  If you can't definitely don't blame the build).  Or say:  My melee can contribute on R3/R4.  No one is saying that melees can't contribute or are completely useless (well some idiots hyperbolate, but welcome to the internet).  The issue is that melees can't contribute at the same level as ranged or casters.  Completions take longer, require more resources, have more risk.  They are sub-optimal.  Now, sub-optimal is not the end of the world.  Not everything can be optimal, per the definition.  And if you don't care about getting the best of the best XP/min or soloing, it really doesn't matter.  The forum population is so overwhelmingly metagamers that the worst thing they can conceive of is their build suddenly becoming "sub optimal".  Like someone is going to follow them around in-game ringing the Cersei "Shame, Shame, Shame" bell.   

C)  All that said, there is truth to the issue that melee characters are more heavily impacted by the methods used to create challenge in Reaper:

1)  Reapers - Most reapers hit like trucks in melee range.  None have a ranged physical damage attack.  Their to-hit is thru the roof, meaning your AC means jack and shit.  They bypass fort.  Only 1 casts spells. (whose favorite spell, MM, is easy for casters to counter with a 1st level spell.  Not so much for melees)  The debuffs they issue - Massive attack speed debuffs, moderate movement speed debuffs and healing debuffs all impact melee characters more than casters.  (also, reapers are incorporeal.  Guess how many spells or eldritch blasts care about that.  None?  Correct.)

2) Champions - Most Champions can hit you 95% of the time.  They hit for double damage.  They bypass fort.  Since 80% of mobs do primarily melee attacks, guess what, most champions do too.  Meaning they are much more punishing on characters in melee range than not.  Also, their powers are often very ANTI DPS.  Ridiculous PRR, or self healing to full, or attack speed debuffs.  None of which affects an insta-killer.  This is why vorpals rule for melees right now.  Because Vorpal fishing is your only way to kill some champs.  Sure you can use CC, but name for me all the melee AoE CC.  Or CC on a timer shorter than 15 seconds.  Compare that to a caster with 5-6 spells/SLA on their hot bar.  Web, Tentacles, mass hold, etc.  Or even a ranged with a bow and paralyzing arrows or a paralyzing repeater xbow.  Champions are way more punishing on melees. 

3)  Self healing debuff - outside of one or two, melees have a harder time getting a decent UMD.  Their trees often don't have wand and scroll mastery in them.  They take more hits (see above) so need more healing.  They don't have temp HP options, for the most part.  Definitely more limiting for melees. 

4)  Damage dampening - given their limited CC and very limited Insta-kill, melees rely solely on DPS to kill things.  Thus, a dampener on 50-90% of damage is a huge problem for them.  Especially when they can't take more than a few hits from a champ or reaper.  The DC changes are not nearly as severe.  (i'm not saying they should be.  Just that the dampening is excessive).

Every single challenge tactic is more punitive to melees than casters or ranged.  Hence, the meta for optimal has moved to caster and ranged builds.  Specifically ones that perform best in early-mid heroics.  Warlocks and Artificers. 

A set of solutions would, imo, start with re-doing the self-healing debuff curve, the damage dampening curve, and to buff the Dread Adversary tree while nerfing, slightly, the Thaumaturge tree (just take out the direct DC Boosts).  Change the cool downs on stunning blow and trip.  They are single target, ffs. 

From there, I would look at HP and PRR boosts for melee classes and melee trees, along with PRR and MRR from Heavy and Medium Armor and increase the ASF, increase the casting time, and decrease the ranged RoF for characters in Heavy Armor.  Imo, fixing the Armor Up issue that everyone was wearing Heavy Armor should have been done this way vs.  pulling the MRR boost from heavy armor, etc. and basically just nerfing heavy armor for all. 

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:51am:
1)  Reapers - Most reapers hit like trucks in melee range. 

Reapers also have jack squat for spell resist and saves so they're easy for casters to CC.  If you're above R3, you should be in a party.  That goes for pretty much any build.

Some freak aberrations can solo R5+ and that's fine because they are horribly inefficient and slow so who cares.  It's like Wizza and Rys doing R10's at level cap.  They are not exactly swimming in reaper points and their completion times are horrendous.

The heart of the problem is that DC wizards/warlocks can carry bads to victory (and need to carry because they do fuck all for damage to bosses) and bad ranged can stay alive while bad melee are fucked.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:36am
Print Post  
A)  Tilo is using an Appeal to Authority fallacy as well as an Appeal to the masses fallacy to try to add weight to his opinion that reaper is tougher on melees than casters or ranged.  I don't get why people keep going to this well.  Just state your opinion.  You don't need 4 out of 5 dentists prefer Crest Whitening and, also, Warlocks in Reaper.

Side Note:  It is funny that one of the players he says quit posts within a few hours telling him how wrong he is.  Nothing like pretending like you have inside knowledge of these "master builders" only to find out you are Jon Snow (You know nothing)

B)  All the people who then pop in and say: Melees are fine.  I enjoy my melee on R1.  (Duh.  R1 is no harder than Elite.  Easier with 10 or more reaper AP.  You better be able to handle R1.  If you can't definitely don't blame the build).  Or say:  My melee can contribute on R3/R4.  No one is saying that melees can't contribute or are completely useless (well some idiots hyperbolate, but welcome to the internet).  The issue is that melees can't contribute at the same level as ranged or casters.  Completions take longer, require more resources, have more risk.  They are sub-optimal.  Now, sub-optimal is not the end of the world.  Not everything can be optimal, per the definition.  And if you don't care about getting the best of the best XP/min or soloing, it really doesn't matter.  The forum population is so overwhelmingly metagamers that the worst thing they can conceive of is their build suddenly becoming "sub optimal".  Like someone is going to follow them around in-game ringing the Cersei "Shame, Shame, Shame" bell.   

C)  All that said, there is truth to the issue that melee characters are more heavily impacted by the methods used to create challenge in Reaper:

1)  Reapers - Most reapers hit like trucks in melee range.  None have a ranged physical damage attack.  Their to-hit is thru the roof, meaning your AC means jack and shit.  They bypass fort.  Only 1 casts spells. (whose favorite spell, MM, is easy for casters to counter with a 1st level spell.  Not so much for melees)  The debuffs they issue - Massive attack speed debuffs, moderate movement speed debuffs and healing debuffs all impact melee characters more than casters.  (also, reapers are incorporeal.  Guess how many spells or eldritch blasts care about that.  None?  Correct.)

2) Champions - Most Champions can hit you 95% of the time.  They hit for double damage.  They bypass fort.  Since 80% of mobs do primarily melee attacks, guess what, most champions do too.  Meaning they are much more punishing on characters in melee range than not.  Also, their powers are often very ANTI DPS.  Ridiculous PRR, or self healing to full, or attack speed debuffs.  None of which affects an insta-killer.  This is why vorpals rule for melees right now.  Because Vorpal fishing is your only way to kill some champs.  Sure you can use CC, but name for me all the melee AoE CC.  Or CC on a timer shorter than 15 seconds.  Compare that to a caster with 5-6 spells/SLA on their hot bar.  Web, Tentacles, mass hold, etc.  Or even a ranged with a bow and paralyzing arrows or a paralyzing repeater xbow.  Champions are way more punishing on melees. 

3)  Self healing debuff - outside of one or two, melees have a harder time getting a decent UMD.  Their trees often don't have wand and scroll mastery in them.  They take more hits (see above) so need more healing.  They don't have temp HP options, for the most part.  Definitely more limiting for melees. 

4)  Damage dampening - given their limited CC and very limited Insta-kill, melees rely solely on DPS to kill things.  Thus, a dampener on 50-90% of damage is a huge problem for them.  Especially when they can't take more than a few hits from a champ or reaper.  The DC changes are not nearly as severe.  (i'm not saying they should be.  Just that the dampening is excessive).

Every single challenge tactic is more punitive to melees than casters or ranged.  Hence, the meta for optimal has moved to caster and ranged builds.  Specifically ones that perform best in early-mid heroics.  Warlocks and Artificers. 

A set of solutions would, imo, start with re-doing the self-healing debuff curve, the damage dampening curve, and to buff the Dread Adversary tree while nerfing, slightly, the Thaumaturge tree (just take out the direct DC Boosts).  Change the cool downs on stunning blow and trip.  They are single target, ffs. 

From there, I would look at HP and PRR boosts for melee classes and melee trees, along with PRR and MRR from Heavy and Medium Armor and increase the ASF, increase the casting time, and decrease the ranged RoF for characters in Heavy Armor.  Imo, fixing the Armor Up issue that everyone was wearing Heavy Armor should have been done this way vs.  pulling the MRR boost from heavy armor, etc. and basically just nerfing heavy armor for all. 

All of this. Especially the bold.

I screamed blue murder about this issue when it happened and everyone said I should: learn to DDO/be a baws/ur build iz gimp/DIAF.

I guess maybe it wasn't such an unreasonable complaint after all  Roll Eyes

As of right now, probably the *best* way to contribute as a "melee" is playing a Swash-bard, with Coup de Grace for Instakills and Fascinate for CC. Mass Suggestion to set all the trash at each others' throats.

UMD is a class skill, using the class's highest pre-requisite stat. High run speed.

Splash 2 Rogue for traps and get Evasion early. There is practically no compromise in doing so.

This, combined with Self-heals, charms, High reflex saves, and Defensive buffs make a pencil-neck Drow bard wearing nothing but leather pants and a smile more viable in melee than a 280 lb. Horc Kensei in 90 lbs of steel full plate.

Zehnpai wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:21am:
Reapers also have jack squat for spell resist and saves so they're easy for casters to CC.  If you're above R3, you should be in a party.  That goes for pretty much any build.

Some freak aberrations can solo R5+ and that's fine because they are horribly inefficient and slow so who cares.  It's like Wizza and Rys doing R10's at level cap.  They are not exactly swimming in reaper points and their completion times are horrendous.

The heart of the problem is that DC wizards/warlocks can carry bads to victory (and need to carry because they do fuck all for damage to bosses) and bad ranged can stay alive while bad melee are fucked.

The bold is the whole issue in a nutshell.

Although I'd argue that "bad" is highly subjective.

Part of the problem is that Reaper has SO MANY broken issues that you can reasonably argue in any direction on it, and be at least partially correct.

Bad players, bad builds, bad gearing, bad scaling, bad design choices from years ago not being updated, bad class balance, bad spawn systems, bad power curves (mob and player)...

There's plenty of "bad" to go around, in Reaper.

Which is a problem, since the whole player population has been railroaded into playing it, whether they wanted to or not.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:37am by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:02am
Print Post  
To those of you who still play DDO, is it simply because you can't find a better game?

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:02am:
To those of you who still play DDO, is it simply because you can't find a better game?

There are far, far better games than DDO which are a blast to play...like two or three times, then it becomes a grind.

There's countless different ways to DDO as opposed to most games which really have like 3 or 4 ways to play them, and even those don't vary too much.

DDO has more content, more build options, more gear to track down and you can build on the work you've done in the past.  Other games you don't become more powerful the more you play them, DDO you do.

I love other games because of the graphics, writing, overall experience and what have you, but when you're done playing them, you're pretty much done.

With DDO it's much easier to create new challenges for yourself.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
LOL he lists as experts according to how many views the guys have on YT. Obviously, most of those people have quitted LONg before reaper, because it's at those days when the game had a larger population, so these guys playing at that age got more views. For example StingingBee quitted years ago, it has nothing to do with reaper.

I hardly agree EllisDee is an expert at anything hardcore, or, OMG, BigErkyKid wtf?? And who the fuck is Mystical?

Now on the thread, I totally disagree, warlocks aren't that big of a problem anymore since the last nerf, and game is more balanced than 2 years ago.

The real reason everyone is quitting is because of the hamster wheel. People want to play shit at endgame, not keep TRing. Reaper would be very great and could make the game alive again, if they didn't add racial past lives and the trees. Racial PL and reaper trees are the real reason people are quitting.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I mean at heroics warlock is still probably the best, (on cap they're balanced), but it's not a reason to quit. The grind is.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:37am by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #17 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:55am
Print Post  

Everything here rings true.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #18 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I don't play my melees anymore really (except my melee Auralock). What Tilo said about why is pretty much spot-on.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Asheras' post seems right on the money.

Skoodge wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:47am:
Solo melee build here and Champions stopped being anything resembling an issue by my 3rd life.  Yeah, a few of their stacking damage attacks are OP and should be toned down slightly, but they're really not that much of an issue.

About the only time they really suck is on those rare occasions you have a boss or end fight where 75% of the red or orange named bosses all spawn as champions.  The only actual wipe I've had since returning was at the end of Memoirs where almost all the red names were champions.  That was 3rd life and my build could have been tighter.  A few more lives under my belt and that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Outside of that, I like champions overall.  A random bump in power is a better solution than the across the board bumps in power of monsters they'd been using before hand.

Well, I'd just respectfully disagree with you there. There certainly are ways to deal with champions, which usually require building things a certain way, or having certain people in your group. But that's where my beef lies: I liked the old DDO circa 2012, where you could kind of just build whatever in heroics, have a blast, and party with whomever you liked. Nowadays, yeah, I can deal with champions by rolling a vanilla pure fighter or bard with crowd control and lots of defensive options... but what fun is that? I liked the old days back when you could run something weird like Eldritch Knight/Tempest/Rogue splash and still do well, because doing weird shit like that is fun, and more importantly, is the essence of what DDO is about: customizing your character and offering a rich character creation system. Things just seem a lot more bottlenecked these days.

I disagree that having a "random bump in power" is a better design choice than an across the board buff to monsters. From a sheer design perspective, it makes much more sense to have all of the monsters (barring bosses/minibosses) simply be slightly more powerful on certain difficulties. Having this weird, random, schizophrenic difficulty which spikes depending on just dumb luck is really stupid from a design perspective.

There are many things that Turbine had gradually fucked up over the years, mostly from 2012 onwards (i.e. stupid power creep, pay2win, killing off the playerbase seemingly deliberately, laughable "endgame" design), but champions just comes to mind as the one point where everything went wrong. No single design choice has deadened my enjoyment for the game as champions have, and it's likely that no change they ever make to the game will revive my previous love for the game.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Only 1 casts spells

Famine just one shot me last night in Tear on r4 on a lv7 for 500 dmg on a cyclonic blast, twice. I had shield up though, prolly should have not and allowed it to target me with MM instead as I might have survived 5 hits for 50 each.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re:
Reply #21 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Well the problem is at heroics really, and that is all this game is about now. At heroics warlocks are the best, but I disagree with those saying melee is so bad compared to ranged and other (non-warlock) casters at heroics. Before Improved Precise Shot the ranged don't have AoE, it just sucks completely. The other casters need spell points to do damage, and that also sucks quite a lot in reaper. I'd prefer to lv up a barb than a wizard.

At cap I think atm balance problems are more about bosses. Melee are better for trash, but for bosses they just suck compared to ranged. Casters work on trash but can't do shit without DPS, so these comments about DC casting being overpowered don't make sense, to complete you need to kill champs and bosses and DC casters can't get those. The difference is at heroics, and with warlock, because they get ok DPS and top DC casting at same time.

Still, not a reason to quit. Grind is the #1 problem.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:39pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #22 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:29am:
The real reason everyone is quitting is because of the hamster wheel. People want to play shit at endgame, not keep TRing. Reaper would be very great and could make the game alive again, if they didn't add racial past lives and the trees. Racial PL and reaper trees are the real reason people are quitting.

This.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:18pm:
This.

This is why I quit about a year ago and never looked back. There's only so many times you can run the same content and have it be fun - even on a shiny new build. I reached that point. Granted, it was a LONG way to that point and I'd say that's a sign of a very good game. Smiley

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #24 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I liked the old DDO circa 2012, where you could kind of just build whatever in heroics, have a blast, and party with whomever you liked. ...I liked the old days back when you could run something weird like Eldritch Knight/Tempest/Rogue splash and still do well, because doing weird shit like that is fun, and more importantly, is the essence of what DDO is about: customizing your character and offering a rich character creation system. Things just seem a lot more bottlenecked these days.

You aren't talking about "the old DDO", you're talking about post enh pass, which came with Shadowfell in U19 (August 2013). That pass was arguably the biggest case of power creep in heroics in the history of DDO, and helped create an environment where yeah, people like you could "run something weird...and still do well".

Those of us who chose not to run something weird (read: ran somewhat optimized builds) steamrolled content and complained about DDO being too easy, which led to champions that shortly thereafter got massively nerfed to the point of irrelevance due to people who had been running weird builds and doing well up to the point pretty much saying "oh shit, we're not doing well anyone" and blaming it on the new mechanic instead of their own insistence that they should be able to run elite on whatever build (I'm using the term loosely) they decided to pull out of their asses.

After a couple years of people once again complaining that DDO was too easy they added reaper difficulty, a half baked system (designed with the laudable albeit misguided goal of creating more challenge for me without alienating you) that disproportionately rewarded certain classes and styles of play.

Hot take: If you guys had just sucked it up and accepted that DDO was going to get slightly more difficult if you wanted to continue running content on elite, the old champions (or something very much like them) might've been enough to make reaper difficulty unnecessary, thereby keeping a lot more builds/styles of play relevant. You guys have nobody to blame but yourselves.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:11pm by Pseudonym »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint