Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Reaper And Players Who Quit. (Read 10755 times)
Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: Reaper And Players Who Quit.
Reply #25 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
About 4 years. Got a few from Asheras wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:51am:
Like someone is going to follow them around in-game ringing the Cersei "Shame, Shame, Shame" bell.

*WANT*

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #26 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Asheras' post seems right on the money.

Well, I'd just respectfully disagree with you there. There certainly are ways to deal with champions, which usually require building things a certain way, or having certain people in your group. But that's where my beef lies: I liked the old DDO circa 2012, where you could kind of just build whatever in heroics, have a blast, and party with whomever you liked. Nowadays, yeah, I can deal with champions by rolling a vanilla pure fighter or bard with crowd control and lots of defensive options... but what fun is that? I liked the old days back when you could run something weird like Eldritch Knight/Tempest/Rogue splash and still do well, because doing weird shit like that is fun, and more importantly, is the essence of what DDO is about: customizing your character and offering a rich character creation system. Things just seem a lot more bottlenecked these days.

I disagree that having a "random bump in power" is a better design choice than an across the board buff to monsters. From a sheer design perspective, it makes much more sense to have all of the monsters (barring bosses/minibosses) simply be slightly more powerful on certain difficulties. Having this weird, random, schizophrenic difficulty which spikes depending on just dumb luck is really stupid from a design perspective.

There are many things that Turbine had gradually fucked up over the years, mostly from 2012 onwards (i.e. stupid power creep, pay2win, killing off the playerbase seemingly deliberately, laughable "endgame" design), but champions just comes to mind as the one point where everything went wrong. No single design choice has deadened my enjoyment for the game as champions have, and it's likely that no change they ever make to the game will revive my previous love for the game.

Not going to so much disagree as mention a few things you might not have considered.

Let's talk about the across the board bumps they've given in the past.

Heroic elite traps that did epic damage.

A bump in power to dungeon trash so high that you couldn't keep Coyle alive without either a full party or some serious, serious CC.  They cranked the power up so high that the fucking mephits could one shot the guy you were trying to keep alive.  The mobs became so powerful they had to completely rework the quest because 80% of the players couldn't even complete the chain.

The gauntlet style quests full of larger mobs that are nothing but sacks of HPs that is evening star.

The fucked up aggro system that has completely destroyed a number of different styles of game play.

Let me bottom line it for you - Search and rescue, To curse the sky and and Mask of Deception. 

You want across the board changes?  Because that's what those idiots are going to give you.  You want across the board changes to the old quests?  You want the harbor to become a lower level version of search and rescue?  Champions are a fly in your hamburger compared to the being raped by a 400 pound ape that is the new quests Wink  Trust me, eat the fly and shut up Tongue

Seriously though, are we talking about heroic elite, old school BB champions, or are we talking about reaper champions?

Because if we're talking reaper, the champions aren't the issue, reaper is the issue.  Specifically, how badly melees get fucked over with the reaper trees.  Historically the turbine-tards have always handled these things the same way.  Here's the new system scaled to the casters, here's the caster's new abilities to handle the new system...and here's some random crap we threw together for the melees that may or may not work.

But if we're talking about old school, heroic elite BB - and I say this most respectfully - you need to work on your gear.

There is absolutely no reason a champion should be anything more than a slight hick-up on BB.  They take maybe all of two swings more to kill and shouldn't be an issue in your game play at all - if you're gearing up for it.

Gear defensively.  Get all your old bases covered, plus the new.  Elemental resistances, deathblock, 100% plus fort, SR, PRR and MRR.  It'll take about half your slots, but that still leaves easily the other half to build your gear around whatever build you want.

If you're crafting at tier 3 (which you would still have to do with the across the board boosts to dungeon trash even if we didn't have champions - the game flat out hits harder now), you should have the defenses you need to have the freedom to build any toon or splash you want.  Especially if you're running in a group - cover your ass in your gear and you can pretty much play however you want.

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:30pm by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:05pm:
Tilo started a new thread. Most of what he says is correct.

Tilo?  Correct?

Ok, gotcha.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:51am:
Side Note:  It is funny that one of the players he says quit posts within a few hours telling him how wrong he is.  Nothing like pretending like you have inside knowledge of these "master builders" only to find out you are Jon Snow (You know nothing)

Side note?  That is the only note!

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:51am:
1)  Reapers - Most reapers hit like trucks in melee range.

This is a fail.

You need to learn your Reapers just like you needed to learn your Champions just like you needed to learn your DRs, and which mobs are resistant to which spells, etc.

Nothing is new under the sun.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:29pm:
A bump in power to dungeon trash so high that you couldn't keep Coyle alive without either a full party or some serious, serious CC.  They cranked the power up so high that the fucking mephits could one shot the guy you were trying to keep alive.  The mobs became so powerful they had to completely rework the quest because 80% of the players couldn't even complete the chain.

By a "bump in power," I'm not saying make the ENTIRE quest as difficult as monster champs. I'm talking more about a slight increase across the board. I agree that it's unreasonable for heroic elite traps to be doing epic damage. But I think that if you MUST make a quest more difficult, making it overall slightly more difficult makes a hell of a lot more sense than just adding random spikes of difficulty. The key word is random: I don't like how depending on my luck, a quest can be nightmarishly difficult or laughably easy. I prefer consistency and fairness.

What Turbine gave us was technically "across the board scaling" but they did it in the most idiotic way. The problem is that every old quest from level 1-14 is way too easy and every new quest at any level is just way too hard. ToEE elite, which is a level 7 quest, is more difficult than Gianthold elite. This is a problem. When I'm talking about "across the board difficulty bumps," I mean adding reasonable difficulty, not making the quest 1000% more difficult than anything else in the level. I'm saying if you must add difficulty to the game, then it overall makes more sense to just make everything slightly more powerful--maybe give every monster 25% more hp, 10-15% more damage, or something like that, which is noticeable but isn't unfair.

Pseudonym wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:09pm:
You aren't talking about "the old DDO", you're talking about post enh pass, which came with Shadowfell in U19 (August 2013). That pass was arguably the biggest case of power creep in heroics in the history of DDO, and helped create an environment where yeah, people like you could "run something weird...and still do well".

No, I'm talking about DDO as I remember it from around 2010-2013. Just about everything in the game was great back then. The quest difficulty at any given level was consistent (i.e. you don't have a quest like Tower of Frost be 10x more difficult than any other level 14 quest at its level), and there were no monster champions. Even before the enhancement rework, there were plenty of times where I had a blast running whichever build I wanted, playing with party members who were doing likewise.

2012's introduction of MOTU was in retrospect the worst thing Turbine ever did for the longevity of the game, but its deleterious effects were not really realized until later--I'd say the game was still overall enjoyable for at least a couple years after its introduction. The enhancement rework was not intrinsically a bad thing, since power creep is inevitable in every single long-term game, but the way they went about solving it was fucking ridiculous. Again, random, sporadic spikes in difficulty is not the answer. There are much better ways to overall make the game more challenging while also making it fair.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #31 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
But I think that if you MUST make a quest more difficult, making it overall slightly more difficult makes a hell of a lot more sense than just adding random spikes of difficulty. The key word is random: I don't like how depending on my luck, a quest can be nightmarishly difficult or laughably easy. I prefer consistency and fairness.

I feel you man, I really do.  But Turbine is like that shower you can never find a comfortable temperature in.  It's just a little too cool, but when you move knob, it jumps up to scalding hot.  If you try and move it back, it drops down to freezing cold.  Really, it's best to find a spot that isn't too uncomfortable and stick with it.

Quote:
2012's introduction of MOTU was in retrospect the worst thing Turbine ever did for the longevity of the game, but its deleterious effects were not really realized until later--I'd say the game was still overall enjoyable for at least a couple years after its introduction.

To be fair, that's at least partially on the players.

Between shadowfail the horrible roll out of the enhancement pass, the population dropped considerably and what was left I wouldn't exactly call team players.

The casters didn't want to be so squishy, so now they're not.

The healers didn't want to be healers, they wanted to be divines.  So now they're damn near as powerful as casters and if one throws a heal my way, I'm shocked.

Trappers stopped trapping, so it was up to you to try and get through the traps with no help.

The ranged toons suddenly have CC and running quests with a group became a joke.  You were expected to be able to buff and heal yourself no matter what your class (even though melees hadn't been made as flexible as the others) and not die.  Not that you even really needed to buff anymore, running quests in a group was totally shooting fish in a barrel.

Grouping became boring as fuck.  Everyone wanted to be a superstar and, for the most part, now they are.

No one wanted the challenge of the group.  No one wanted the challenge of starting a new toon.  "I've got 75 past lives and a 48 pt build, the Harbor isn't challenging to me anymore!"  "Of course it isn't challenging you fucking moron.  You want a challenge, stop using the easiest builds and roll a new toon."

But I switched to being completely solo at that time (outside of the like dozen quests that you either need someone to throw a switch or just too damned long to bother soloing like Coal).  If I no longer could build to be part of a group and was expected to be completely self-sufficient, what the fuck do I even need a group for?

It's really down to 3 choices now -

Become uber with the OP build of the months like everyone else does.
Go solo.
Or find a group of people or a guild that fits your playing style.

There are still new players, newish players, returning players, not ubers, or people who need groups because they're not just grabbing the most OP warlock build and want to have fun doing things differently.

I'm in a mostly newb guild.  I'm sure we have a reputation of mostly sucking and, to be honest, we probably mostly suck.  But it's kind of cute how people are shouting out in guild chat all day needing help with a quest or a chain because they can't handle it themselves (while I'm rolling my eyes because I soloed it in 5 to 8 minutes days ago).

If you can't find it on your server, switch to Cannith.  You've got guilds there that run raids or quest chains daily and have static groups that level up together.  The only way you're going to get the 2012 experience is if you find people who still play like it's 2012 (not many do anymore - but they are out there).

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
No, I'm talking about DDO as I remember it from around 2010-2013

Quote:
I liked the old days back when you could run something weird like Eldritch Knight/Tempest/Rogue splash and still do well

You might've meant to say 2010-2013, but the example you gave was a build that could not have existed before Fall 2013.

Quote:
Just about everything in the game was great back then.

Everything? I preferred many things about the game then too, but you can't honestly tell me you miss falling through the floor and buggy ladders being much more common. Do you also miss people filtering their groups via MyDDO? I do, but I doubt someone who admits to running weird builds does.

Quote:
The quest difficulty at any given level was consistent (i.e. you don't have a quest like Tower of Frost be 10x more difficult than any other level 14 quest at its level)

I mostly agree with this. The old stuff is too easy and making the new stuff more difficult created an imbalance not a solution.

Quote:
There are much better ways to overall make the game more challenging while also making it fair.

Difficulty is not fair or unfair, it just is. The scaling difficulty system for quests was neglected for a very long time to the point where casual players being able to solo elite became the norm. I strongly believe that this game would have been better served by a re-balancing of N/H/E than by adding reaper difficulty.

As a self-professed casual player, how would you feel about that? Would you be comfortable saying that you can either build for efficiency or for fun and dropping down a difficulty level if your build wasn't optimized is totally fine?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:02pm:
Difficulty is not fair or unfair, it just is. The scaling difficulty system for quests was neglected for a very long time to the point where casual players being able to solo elite became the norm. I strongly believe that this game would have been better served by a re-balancing of N/H/E than by adding reaper difficulty.

This was never going to happen, Staff made that clear when they nerfed, and then RE-nerfed VON3/4 so it didn't give as much EXP

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #34 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:25pm:
This was never going to happen, Staff made that clear when they nerfed, and then RE-nerfed VON3/4 so it didn't give as much EXP

Correct, it was never going to happen. It should have.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
the point where casual players being able to solo elite became the norm.

the game was better for it. who the fuck wants to play cowering behind corners, circle kiting for 70 minutes as the tank, slowly inching like a little fucking weasel towards a mob so you dont get one shot. none of that shit feels heroic. i loved ddo because it felt fast and zerging was the playstyle. now it's like going from racing cars to crawling in wet sand. 
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:38pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #36 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:37pm:
the game was better for it. who the fuck wants to play cowering behind corners, circle kiting for 70 minutes as the tank, slowly inching like a little fucking weasel towards a mob so you dont get one shot.

Sounds a lot more like high skull reaper than old leveling.

Quote:
i loved ddo because it felt fast and zerging was the playstyle.

Do you remember the zerg/BYOH lfms that used to be a thing? People who didn't suck had been zerging long before the major power creep started. The players affected were the idiots who joined your group, pulled red alert, died, and then started whining about you not healing them.

Those guys have been replaced by idiot warlocks who think they don't suck at DDO because they max con, put on a shield, press two keys, and don't usually die in HE/R1.

Spoiler alert: they still suck, they're just less obvious about it.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Pseudonym wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:53pm:
reaper

it is reaper. old ddo felt like a fighting game mixed in with a sports title. arcade-like. shit was dope. now it looks like little fucking bitches running around and hiding. perching, hiding and running is considered a tactic. fast paced combat has been replaced by ducking around corners and praying you don't get grazed by an arrow for 4k. any reaper video looks like trying to pass a fart through a wall of swollen hemorrhoids

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
You might've meant to say 2010-2013, but the example you gave was a build that could not have existed before Fall 2013.

Okay, and that was my bad. That was just the first thing which came to mind. There were still plenty of suboptimal builds I made back in the early days, and I ended up being fine though.

As a self-professed casual player, how would you feel about that? Would you be comfortable saying that you can either build for efficiency or for fun and dropping down a difficulty level if your build wasn't optimized is totally fine?

I'm curious.

I agree that rebalancing NHE and retooling the difficulty across the board would be a better idea. I think instead of adding in this schizophrenic difficulty where new quests (i.e. slavers, ToEE, Tower of Frost, etc) are 10x more difficult than everything else at the level, they should've just adjusted everything more fairly. I realize this is idealistic, but it's not exactly impossible from a design standpoint, and it's not exactly unprecedented--just about every other MMO or single player RPG has a linear scaling of difficulty throughout the game.

I'm fine with not playing the hardest difficulty if it means my build does not demand it. From the onset, my philosophy with DDO has always been: If my character will not contribute and do well in a certain difficulty, I will avoid it. Thus, I never really joined endgame raids since I know I wasn't built for them (for example, epic chrono at cap back when it was 20) and I mostly just ran normal or hard during my first few lives. But right now, hard is just too easy, and elite is too much of a difficulty spike because of how monster champions are designed. There's no middle ground and again, there's no linear progression. 99% of the time, yeah, I can manage to solo elite or pull through it with a hireling, but champions still piss me off because I remember the days back when there weren't any champions and every time I see them, I think of how much more enjoyable the game would be without them.

And then the 1% of the time when a group of 5 champions spawns, each dealing like 100 damage to me, giving me no opportunity to retaliate or do anything, that just pisses me off even further. Shit like this should not be in the game. And this thought process usually results in me just quitting DDO for another indefinite amount of time.

Skoodge wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:20am:
I feel you man, I really do.  But Turbine is like that shower you can never find a comfortable temperature in.  It's just a little too cool, but when you move knob, it jumps up to scalding hot.  If you try and move it back, it drops down to freezing cold. 

Yeah and this is what annoys me about their design choices. No middle ground. The game wasn't ever perfect, but things felt a lot more fair back before monster champions, like there was some semblance of linear difficulty and no random spikes in difficulty.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #39 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:05pm:
Tilo started a new thread. Most of what he says is correct.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/489477-View-on-Reaper-from-Games-most-...

Don't know what the guy is trying to say. And his methodology is flawed.

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
DDOcrackhead wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:50pm:
Don't know what the guy is trying to say. And his methodology is flawed.

What he is trying to say, not so succinctly is we signed up to feel like a jedi in a star wars movie, not roleplay as Neil Patrick Harris in Attica

IP Logged

Pseudonym
Titan Demolisher

Reply #41 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I agree that rebalancing NHE and retooling the difficulty across the board would be a better idea. I think instead of adding in this schizophrenic difficulty where new quests (i.e. slavers, ToEE, Tower of Frost, etc) are 10x more difficult than everything else at the level, they should've just adjusted everything more fairly. I realize this is idealistic, but it's not exactly impossible from a design standpoint, and it's not exactly unprecedented--just about every other MMO or single player RPG has a linear scaling of difficulty throughout the game.

So we're in agreement.

Quote:
I'm fine with not playing the hardest difficulty if it means my build does not demand it. From the onset, my philosophy with DDO has always been: If my character will not contribute and do well in a certain difficulty, I will avoid it.

I very much respect that attitude and wish that more players felt the same way. Like I keep on saying, there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing a build that isn't considered optimal because that's what makes you happy; the problem stems from people who aren't  succeeding up to their standards deciding that the game has to accommodate their lack of building and/or playing skills.

Quote:
The game wasn't ever perfect, but things felt a lot more fair back before monster champions, like there was some semblance of linear difficulty and no random spikes in difficulty.

I don't have a problem with champions, but I also wouldn't have much of a problem with champions being removed provided N/H/E were re-balanced to provide appropriate levels of challenge.

Most quests on elite should be in what is now the r2-4 difficulty range.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2017 at 4:21pm by Pseudonym »  

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:37pm:
...now it's like going from racing cars to crawling in wet sand. 

Or a prison rape scene....

To be honest... the ONLY thing that I absolutely HATE about Reaper, is all the tactics and twitch based combat you've worked so hard to perfect for the last number of years.. worth absolutely DICK now
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:09pm by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

Tangelina
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:02am:
To those of you who still play DDO, is it simply because you can't find a better game

I just can't be fucked looking for another game, so DDO is life for now! Cheesy

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #44 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
EE Gianthold at the level 25 cap felt about right.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #45 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Tangelina wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:03pm:
I just can't be fucked looking for another game, so DDO is life for now! Cheesy

I've checked out other games.  Gw2 is lame unless you like pvp.  Which takes us back to lame.  Nwo is even more cash obvious than ddo with none of the fun combat or builds.  I got bored there in less than a month. 

DDO may not be perfect but I still enjoy playing it.  Maybe it helps that I don't play a ton of hours.  I dont get to play as often as I'd like so I look forward to it when I can and always feel like there are things I want to do. I took two extended breaks in 9 years.  18 months and 12 months.  That helps too.   

I just miss raiding more.  I really like playing level 30 "completed" builds and running tough raids with good players.  That aspect is missing.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #46 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
DDO is mostly about the community for me at this point.  It feels a bit like old EverQuest minus the old EverQuest drama and rampant sex favors.

The old mod0~9 quests are all still pretty fun too.  You won't find shit like it in any modern MMO.  Rainbow in the Dark is a dungeon you'd expect to find in Zelda.  Jumping puzzles, secret passageways, hidden traps, a dungeon wide gimmick, huge mob diversity, an ancient 'riddle', etc...

It's a shame they keep fucking new quests with mudflated mob hp and undertuning the xp awards.  I did Strike Back twice to get the broken as fuck lxbow and haven't touched a post-MOTU quest since.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:30pm:
EE Gianthold at the level 25 cap felt about right.

Agreed. It was the less bad state of this game since they released MotU. It was enjoyable. No need for heavy grind, some endgame...

So we see it's the grind what kills the game at the end of the day: epic past lives were the first nail in the coffin, racial past lives togheter with reaper xp were the last.

People quitted because of these. People don't come back because of these.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #48 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:48pm:
DDO is mostly about the community for me at this point.

Nobody fucking talks in groups anymore...outside of the left over idiots who insist on using voice chat but don't know how to set their microphones (doesn't help DDO still has like the shittiest mic interface ever), and all they do is bark unneeded orders.

I don't group that often, but the handful of raids I've joined when you've got all that extra time waiting for it to fill, no one talks.  I try and make small talk or joke around...crickets.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #49 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:48pm:
Nobody fucking talks in groups anymore...outside of the left over idiots who insist on using voice chat but don't know how to set their microphones (doesn't help DDO still has like the shittiest mic interface ever), and all they do is bark unneeded orders.

I don't group that often, but the handful of raids I've joined when you've got all that extra time waiting for it to fill, no one talks.  I try and make small talk or joke around...crickets. 

In pugs this is true.  But in guild runs or channel runs there is usually more chatter.  Especially if it is a TR xp train or a R5 Tempest Spine run or something relatively easy.

If the content is challenging, however, the chatter dies down.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint