Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Chances of a named loot pass? (Read 5919 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Chances of a named loot pass?
Sep 7th, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
So I was noticing on my last TR that I've got quite a clusterfuck of obsolete named items. Items that used to be amazing, before the cannth crafting update invalidated every single one of them(what good is +8 dex when you can get +10 several levels earlier, with an extra +4 Insightful?)

What does anyone think are the odds of SSG doing a named item pass to bring the old gear in line with the new?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Re: Chances of a named loot pass?
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Haven't they sort of been haphazardly working on bringing old named items up to snuff with the new ones? Namely Sharn and Red Fens? I don't think they will take the time or effort to rework every unbalanced item though.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:26pm
Print Post  

Quote:
An Error Has Occurred!

The Message Body was not filled out. It is required.

Hah.  String 0, you gimps, not number 0.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
For Epic/ Legendary gear?

Slim to None.

For Heroic...

Not so sure anymore, but better than "zero".

They did passes on Red Fens and Sharn, 2 all but forgotten packs and made some nice improvements to the twink gear.

I think this is due in large part to the game now being geared to Reaper grind and Racial TR, both or which happen in Heroic levels.

So I would look to see what old Heroic-but-non-Epic-capable packs are left and that is the most likely place to start.

My guess would be Catacombs or Tangleroot, but I'm sure there are others.

Ravenloft and it's loot will determine what if any old gear gets updated in the near future.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 2:52pm:
due solely to the game now being geared to Reaper grind and Racial TR, both or which happen in Heroic levels.

ftfy

They would, but Lynn left... so nothing will.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I guess if I take Sharn and Red Fens as examples, I can't expect to get to update my items to to the newer ones. I guess next TR I'll clean house. Its a shame, I fought like hell for some of that crap, be a shame to see it go.

The extra-annoying part is I think if SSG DID go back and update a lot of that crap, it'd spurn renewed interest in those chains. And its not like it'd be hard, they could assign an intern to do it!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 1:57pm:
So I was noticing on my last TR that I've got quite a clusterfuck of obsolete named items. Items that used to be amazing, before the cannth crafting update invalidated every single one of them(what good is +8 dex when you can get +10 several levels earlier, with an extra +4 Insightful?)

What does anyone think are the odds of SSG doing a named item pass to bring the old gear in line with the new?

I think, like Sharn and Fens, they will update the old stuff as they have time. No idea what, if any, time table they have or what order they would do it in.  If I was guessing, I'd say look at whatever P2P content doesn't get played that much (and thus purchased).  If so, House P and Restless Isles would have to be high on the list.  I, personally, don't hang on to any of the old stuff that doesn't have value.  As shown by sharn and red fens, if they do update the loot, you have to acquire the new items.  They aren't going to update it and retro all existing gear, imo.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 3:19pm:
I guess if I take Sharn and Red Fens as examples, I can't expect to get to update my items to to the newer ones. I guess next TR I'll clean house. Its a shame, I fought like hell for some of that crap, be a shame to see it go.

They are concerned with their ROI. Not yours.

Which is the same old typical Turbine-think: Fuck the players; they'll pay us anyway.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 4:03pm:
Fuck the players; they'll pay us anyway.

I mean, Cersei and Jamie Paiz weren't wrong.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Seems like revamping loot is a way better ROI than creating new content.

Bumping up the XP and improving the loot on an old quest would take, at best, an hour, and suddenly make it marketable again. That definitely adds up to more dollars per minute than spending weeks making a new quest.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:14pm:
at best, an hour

That's optimistic from what I've heard.

noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:14pm:
marketable again

What do you not own by this point?  At least with new shit they can guarantee people will buy it.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:06pm:
That's optimistic from what I've heard.

Their intern seems to be able to fiddle with numbers on a table pretty efficiently, it cannot honestly take much effort to change a few values around. Balance is of course a challenge, but all the really have to is pull up the CC planner and go "Hmm, this item is lvl 12, at lvl 12 items get +6 to a stat now. Let me change that outdated 4 to a 6. Fin!"

Ah Pook wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:06pm:
What do you not own by this point?  At least with new shit they can guarantee people will buy it.

This is the part where I say something about new players and you point and laugh. What new players? Why would new players stay and spend money on out-modded packs with sub-par loot and low XP?

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:21pm:
This is the part where I say something about new players and you point and laugh. What new players? Why would new players stay and spend money on out-modded packs with sub-par loot and low XP?

Well, I, uhh...   Grin

You don't even need me in this argument!

I don't know, I guess where I was going is that everybody who's still playing has everything, so that's a zero return on investment, unless you care about people playing packs that don't get run anymore.  Seems like a moral victory.  And anybody new who shows up is gonna buy the usual shit anyway - if they have half a brain, they'll ask on the forums and get recommended GH, Delera's, and whatever *long* before Tangleroot.  Catacombs comes with the starter pack, which everybody should buy for the hireling alone.  Nobody would run Restless even if they tripled the xp, unless they added way more teleport options.  (Cue "but that's my favourite pack!")

So at least with new shit they'd get some money from grizzled vets.  All of whom probably have enough points banked that they wouldn't pay anyway.   Undecided

Doom.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:21pm:
Their intern seems to be able to fiddle with numbers on a table pretty efficiently, it cannot honestly take much effort to change a few values around. Balance is of course a challenge, but all the really have to is pull up the CC planner and go "Hmm, this item is lvl 12, at lvl 12 items get +6 to a stat now. Let me change that outdated 4 to a 6. Fin!"

Gosh! I wish that were the case! Would have made my summer so much easier.

Items have enchantments on them, but enchantments can be on multiple items. Tweaking the numbers on that effect would touch every other item with that same enchantment. Also, items are super tricky to swap enchantments on, as only newly created items will get the new suite. Think of items like an electronic billboard that has a set list of advertisements on it. The billboard knows which ads to run, and we can change what the ads do. If we change the ad for, say, some soap to some new soap ad, all billboards with that ad will know to use the new soap ad. What we can't do without making a new billboard is change the list of ads to run.

The new Red Fens and Sharn stuff has totally different data than the old ones. Sadly, it takes the same amount of time to revamp old loot as it does to make new stuff. Plus, tweaking the set bonuses really took some time for me Sad

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:54pm:
Sadly, it takes the same amount of time to revamp old loot as it does to make new stuff. Plus, tweaking the set bonuses really took some time for me

I think you'd mentioned that on the other forums at the time, which is why it didn't seem to be quite the case of just flipping some numbers.  Quest xp on the other hand is easier to fiddle with, no?

Is there a sense internally of who's running what?  Like, they *must* know that only masochists and favour nerds are doing Restless or Threnal or others...  I'll hit them up every few lives just for variety, but it quickly turns into "oh right, sooooo much running."  Surely it's trackable that von3 got completed 1200 times today, but saving Coyle's dumb ass only happened twice?  Why not just start bumping the xp up 1k/quest every patch until people come?

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  

Items have enchantments on them, but enchantments can be on multiple items. Tweaking the numbers on that effect would touch every other item with that same enchantment. Also, items are super tricky to swap enchantments on, as only newly created items will get the new suite. Think of items like an electronic billboard that has a set list of advertisements on it. The billboard knows which ads to run, and we can change what the ads do. If we change the ad for, say, some soap to some new soap ad, all billboards with that ad will know to use the new soap ad. What we can't do without making a new billboard is change the list of ads to run.

The new Red Fens and Sharn stuff has totally different data than the old ones. Sadly, it takes the same amount of time to revamp old loot as it does to make new stuff. Plus, tweaking the set bonuses really took some time for me Sad

That sounds like a hilariously inefficient way to manage things, but your honesty is appreciated.

Maybe at the next Pac-Man LARP you can explain to them (gently, because ROCKSTARZ have egos) that some of the old packs are just plain shite and they're losing revenue because of it.

They might not give a rat's ass about the players, but I bet they care PROFOUNDLY about the continuance of their pay-cheques.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:05am
Print Post  

Neat! Smiley I really appreciate the inside look at DDO's goings on. I've been basing most of my presupositions on a World of Warcraft server emulator I used to run. In that game, the items were in a simple SQL database, and you actually could change the stats on any specific item simply by tweaking the numbers, and it would apply retroactively to all previous items.

So, dumb question: if it works the way you say, shouldn't it be even easier to update all the old loot at once?

Take my example of stats. A pre-pass named item @ say lvl 11 will usually have a +5 to a stat. I don't feel like going through dozens of items, but a basic example would be http://ddowiki.com/page/Katra%27s_Wit Katra's Wit - this actually comes from a quest chain people still run the crap out of. The item has +5 charisma, a new Cannith Crafted or rangen item would have a +6.

Wouldn't it be pretty simply to change over the legacy +5 enchantment to +6?

At this point I'm mostly just asking from polite curiosity about DDO's inner workings.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Sometimes you have 8 ads for the same thing and you're not always sure what they are all tied to.  It's not so much that it takes long to make all 6's into 7's or whatever.  It's that QA'ing that change takes forever and a day.

So it becomes a priority system.  If you have X number of QA hours in a day, do you want them QA'ing old loot, QA'ing bug reports or QA'ing new content?  While I'm sure QA works their butts off, a lot of stuff slips through as is so suddenly saying, "Hey we bumped all +5 str items up to +6, go and make sure this didn't break anything."

Then you have to ask if it's even worth it.

Even if you make it on par with or even just slightly better then CC, the ease of access to and versatility of the CC system still trumps it.  If I get a named drop but it doesn't have the one stat I need on it that CC provides, then I need to move everything around.

The items that stand the test of time tend to be unique or have a somewhat unique effect.  FoM boots, torc, jibbers, blur bracers, Abbot quiver, etc...these are worth the effort.

+8 str instead of +6 at level 10 or whatever isn't really worth farming VoN6, especially if it's on a bracer slot and I really need it on my cloak or whatever.  Not only that but CC is all BtA so when I upgrade an item I can toss it in the shared bank and not have to worry about losing it when I TR.  I can create a full suit of perfect CC gear at any level for any build and stash it on an alt until I need it.

Hanging onto my SoS on the off chance some day I decide to do a 2H build again however?  Not worth it.  Poof it went.

The Sharn/Fens loot revamp was more of a "We have not added any mudflated gear to this level range ever so Cannith loot is so much vastly better holy jeebus."

It'd be nice if the Harbor/Korthos quests got a similar treatment since that's where new players first experience the game, but a girl can only dream.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for a general game wide loot revamp but there are much bigger problems with the game right now that would require similar dev skillsets/QA and we have a work around in the CC system.

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:29pm by Zehnpai »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:25pm:
So it becomes a priority system.  If you have X number of QA hours in a day, do you want them QA'ing old loot, QA'ing bug reports or QA'ing new content?  While I'm sure QA works their butts off, a lot of stuff slips through as is so suddenly saying, "Hey we bumped all +5 str items up to +6, go and make sure this didn't break anything."

Then you have to ask if it's even worth it.

Shit. If only there were some way to know in advance what would be affected. Like, if somebody had invented a spreadsheet program. That would have been really helpful.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
While the revamping of the Red Fens loot was a decent idea, I took one look at the updated versions and thought "meh".  No point in bothering to farm those again.   Outlevel them too fast during TRs and crafted stuff is on par and far easier to slot.

I'd much rather they use any time they might spend updating old stuff that was surpassed years ago doing QoL bug fixing for the players, especially if they're not going to make the updated items as good or better than the new stuff that's readily available.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Zehnpai wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:25pm:
+8 str instead of +6 at level 10 or whatever isn't really worth farming VoN6, especially if it's on a bracer slot and I really need it on my cloak or whatever.  Not only that but CC is all BtA so when I upgrade an item I can toss it in the shared bank and not have to worry about losing it when I TR.  I can create a full suit of perfect CC gear at any level for any build and stash it on an alt until I need it.

So the real problem comes in when the item HAS some kind of other desirable property or function, and the stat is just an absolute waste. I used the lvl 10 items as an example, but this sort of thing becomes especially problematic at the higher levels.

Take, for example, the Helm of the Black Dragon http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Helm_of_the_Black_Dragon_(Level_25)

It has 2 augment slots and Draconic Ferocity if paired with an appropriate Draconscale armor. The armors are still highly sought after, but while the helms used to sell for hundreds of shards, the severely outdated stat-bonuses have made them worthless.

+8 or +3 insightful, when CC grants +11/+5 at that level? Its ludicrous!  Especially when you can now put 3 effects on a CC item, a fair upgrade to the helms would be to give them BOTH regular and exceptional stats.

But, its unlikely to happen, so the helm I once prized rots away in my TR cache, taking up inventory and risking destruction.

The item that actually inspired me to start this thread was my old Gloves of the Forgotten Craft - once an absolutely beaitiful mid-epics item, left rotting in the cache because I can very nearly craft something exactly the same, only also better  Cry

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 4:43pm:
I'd much rather they use any time they might spend updating old stuff that was surpassed years ago doing QoL bug fixing for the players, especially if they're not going to make the updated items as good or better than the new stuff that's readily available.

1)some of us might actually consider outdated named loot to be a serious QoL

2)Most general needed QoL fixes are way out of the dev's reach.

Its super awesome when Salais fixes typos, I'm not complaining, but *real* QoL things like ladder bugs, stair cases you have to jump to climb, lag, etc, is all generally stuff that just can't be fixed easily.

Why not encourage a little effort to go to revamping named items? They've probably got the manpower if they'd spend less time naval-gazing.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 6:47pm:
1)some of us might actually consider outdated named loot to be a serious QoL

2)Most general needed QoL fixes are way out of the dev's reach.

Its super awesome when Salais fixes typos, I'm not complaining, but *real* QoL things like ladder bugs, stair cases you have to jump to climb, lag, etc, is all generally stuff that just can't be fixed easily.

Why not encourage a little effort to go to revamping named items? They've probably got the manpower if they'd spend less time naval-gazing.

Yes, that's what I was getting at.  They generally go for the easy, low hanging fruit instead of fixing the real problems.   I would rather they buckle down and make a serious effort to fix those non-easy things that have been bugging the shit out of us for years.

I just double checked the wiki for the Red Fens stuff and I realize it's probably not 100% updated for the new changes, but even so, I have trouble finding anything I'd slot for the heroic set bonus over crafted or other named loots from elsewhere.  Updating it wasn't a bad idea or anything, I just don't think it was enough to compete with the powercreep from newer stuff and Cannith Crafting.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:41pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 12:01am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 6:47pm:

There is actually a ladder fix in U36.2 fyi

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Sep 9th, 2017 at 12:01am:
There is actually a ladder fix in U36.2 fyi

FUCK YEAH!!! *FIST PUMP* *FIST PUMP* *FIST PUMP*

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint