Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Dis game iz dyin' (Read 21513 times)
Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Dis game iz dyin'
Sep 11th, 2017 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Peak hours on Gayfinder - 16 ppl online (plus like 10% anons)

Population is dying fast in this game.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 6:40am by Oracler »  

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Re: Dis game iz dyin'
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Had a screenshot when I was only one logged in on Wfinder. Was something around black friday.

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Literally.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:35am
Print Post  
not dead yet... still more people than on European Servers towards the end.
( at peak hour we were happy to be able to get the whole server into a single raid group... )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:40am
Print Post  
True.. the game is dead af..

But as far as I remember... gayfinder was always pretty shitty.. like 25 on it at the most or so. But that wasnt at prime time when ive checked...

Either way.. nobody should be on that sever unless they're tp favor farming. Thats about all that server has ever been good for.. Why the fuck did they even make it?

Or a better question is this... Why havent they just moved the 3 guild ships and 30 players to a real server and then shut that bitch down?   Undecided

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Lol.  Wayfinder as the bellweather for the game as a whole.  Let's pick the known smallest server by a long shot that is the only one specifically targeted at a minority niche. 

Talk about cherry picking your data to make a point. 

Most European players don't even play on Wayfinder (or exclusively).  There are decent populations of Euros on the main servers, probably more than on Wayfinder at any given time.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
That's not to say that I am arguing the game is fine.  The game has been losing more players than it has been gaining for a while.  Populations are lower on all servers, except perhaps the default server. 

Free server voluntary server transfers to 4 target servers would be a good idea.  Sarlona, Khyber, Ghallanda and Orien should be the targets.  Allow free transfers off of Wayfinder, Cannith, Thelanis, and Argo to one of those 4.

The only tech/time investment they should do is to allow Guild Leaders of level 100 or higher guilds to submit a ticket to CS  to have their guild disbanded on their current server and created on one of the 4 target servers.  You have to be the guild leader and have a character on the new server to be the new guild leader.  If your guild name is in use on the target, you have to a usable replacement already identified.  You get your guild level, ship, and amenities back.  Your guild on original server will be forcibly deleted during the process, so guild members who aren't transferring to the new server will need to find a new guild or start from scratch. 

Let the population cluster more.   

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:59am
Print Post  
My wife plays on Wayfinder sometimes. She likes the low population because it means a lot less lag, so she tells me.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:28am:
The only tech/time investment they should do is to allow Guild Leaders of level 100 or higher guilds to submit a ticket to CS 

So its your opinion that ONLY guilds leveled 100 or higher are worth a damn? My poor little lvl 60 guild, even though we've spent more actual money than plenty of lvl 100 guilds should just go fuck ourselves?

Harsh, man.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
That's not to say that I am arguing the game is fine.  The game has been losing more players than it has been gaining for a while.  Populations are lower on all servers, except perhaps the default server. 

Free server voluntary server transfers to 4 target servers would be a good idea.  Sarlona, Khyber, Ghallanda and Orien should be the targets.  Allow free transfers off of Wayfinder, Cannith, Thelanis, and Argo to one of those 4.

The only tech/time investment they should do is to allow Guild Leaders of level 100 or higher guilds to submit a ticket to CS  to have their guild disbanded on their current server and created on one of the 4 target servers.  You have to be the guild leader and have a character on the new server to be the new guild leader.  If your guild name is in use on the target, you have to a usable replacement already identified.  You get your guild level, ship, and amenities back.  Your guild on original server will be forcibly deleted during the process, so guild members who aren't transferring to the new server will need to find a new guild or start from scratch. 

This is one of those "I'd rather them spend more time working on fixing the hard things than on upgrading old, busted loot from old, busted content" things. 

This would do more to revitalize the grouping, economies, and communities on the core servers than anything else SSG could do right now.  Dollars to donuts that they don't do it though.

Alternatively, they wouldn't even need CS to transfer/recreate the guilds on the new servers.   Just setup a script that automatically calculates the current value/cost of a guild's renown, airship, amenities and upgrades.  Then auto-grant the guild leader that amount of plat and shards on the new server.   Let the guild leader manually recreate the guild themselves.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:53pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:13pm:
So its your opinion that ONLY guilds leveled 100 or higher are worth a damn? My poor little lvl 60 guild, even though we've spent more actual money than plenty of lvl 100 guilds should just go fuck ourselves?

Harsh, man.

Ok.  Set it at 90 or 80 or 70 or 60.  You get the point.  I wasn't trying to rule out anyone.  They don't need to move every freaking guild in existence.  Make it an on-demand thing.  Maybe even charge 500 AS or 500 TP or something to move a guild.  Since it is per guild, it isn't a big expense.  Just enough that people aren't going to flood you with requests to move guilds that don't aren't active or have much value.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  

Agreed.

Quote:

Target Servers: Sarlona, Khyber I can see as reasonable targets... But Ghallanda and Orien?

People have complained about those servers being dead as doornails for years. Orien is particularly bad for douchebags and out-of-control dupers too, unless we all got lucky and they quit.

However, the 1st law of Conservation of Assholes says that Assholes can be neither created nor destroyed, they merely change forum handles.

I'll agree Wayfinder is just for TP grinding, since there's like 10 people on it at peak hours. Why the Hell they don't just fold it into another server (whichever once has the highest concentration of German speakers or Euros in general, they must know where they're all logging in from) and call it a day is beyond me. Wasted resources and maintenance.

Cannith is hit-and-miss, sometimes it's jammed to the rafters, other times there's tumbleweeds blowing through all the public areas. There are a LOT of people running anonymous too.

I've toyed with transferring to another server from here myself, but I don't want to "start over" with a new Guild since I'm leader of a Lvl 100+ guild now. I may change my mind due to pressing "real world" issues though.

I can't really speak much to Thelanis or Argo, but both of them seemed to be roughly at par with Sarlona or Khyber when I played there.

Quote:

Level 100+ seems an arbitrary metric like noanimeo said... My Guildie dropped a LOT of real world cash into our Daedalan Kraken and all the good ship buffs well before we hit Lvl 100+.

If anything, the Guild Transfer should be based on start date, or shards spent, or both, rather than Guild Level since half the active high level guilds got there by abusing renown exploits to Hell and back before the bugs got fixed.

As for the people who don't move... Well... They're outta luck.

In the end, the game is in your inventory, so where you play doesn't matter much.

One imanginary instance is as good as another, unless one has people in it  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:00pm by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:52pm:
This is one of those "I'd rather them spend more time working on fixing the hard things than on upgrading old, busted loot from old, busted content" things. 

This would do more to revitalize the grouping, economies, and communities on the core servers than anything else SSG could do right now.  Dollars to donuts that they don't do it though.

Alternatively, they wouldn't even need CS to transfer/recreate the guilds on the new servers.   Just setup a script that automatically calculates the current value/cost of a guild's renown, airship, amenities and upgrades.  Then auto-grant the guild leader that amount of plat and shards on the new server.   Let the guild leader manually recreate the guild themselves.

You have to do it in a way that kills the old guild in the process.  And restore the renown.  You could just give them the materials needed to rebuy the ship and amenities easily.  It's the Guild Level/Rewnown that there is no way to recreate on the destination.  So it either needs to be a single transaction (kill old guild/spawn new guild) and then let the leader take it from there with shards and plat in inventory or an asynchronous thing (Kill old guild/give leader a one time use code for the DDO store).  Then they can create the guild and use the code (which will give them the guild renown they used to have) and use the AS/plat to rebuy the ship and amenities whenever they want. 

They can't leave the old guild intact during the process or use any sort of inventory token/stone that could be duped/reused.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:52pm:
Then auto-grant the guild leader that amount of plat and shards on the new server.   Let the guild leader manually recreate the guild themselves.

This could easily add up to much more than plat-cap on a single character.

Asheras wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
Ok.  Set it at 90 or 80 or 70 or 60.  You get the point.  I wasn't trying to rule out anyone.  They don't need to move every freaking guild in existence.  Make it an on-demand thing.  Maybe even charge 500 AS or 500 TP or something to move a guild.  Since it is per guild, it isn't a big expense.  Just enough that people aren't going to flood you with requests to move guilds that don't aren't active or have much value.

Value is a pretty highly subjective thing. When my "guild" first started, we worked like hell to grind favor and spent nearly every copper we had on the smallest-tier ship in the game. To us, that guild was worth everything we had, and represented hours and hours of work.

All for a lvl 20, two-man guild.

Flash forward to today, that 2-man guild is now a 1-man guild, after literal YEARS of effort I have finally reached level 60, and through it gained the ability to get basically all the amenities that are worth anything. I've also personally spent a considerable amount of money buying an AS airship and some AS amenities.

But again, by your standards, my guild is hardly worth anything, and I find that just a little offensive.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
Orien is particularly bad for douchebags and out-of-control dupers too

We are perfectly in control of our duping habits. tyvm!

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Target Servers: Sarlona, Khyber I can see as reasonable targets... But Ghallanda and Orien?

Orien has the default, and thus a high population.  That's why I kept it.  But you can move that and dump it.  It was an add on in 2009, so maybe keep one of the older servers.  Thelanis or Argo.  Honestly, it should merge with Sarlona so that all the "feature" fans can be together.

Ghallanda, I thought, was doing better than Thelanis, Argo, and Cannith.  But, I'm wrong, pick something else.  Or just go with 3 targets instead of 4.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:08pm:
Value is a pretty highly subjective thing. When my "guild" first started, we worked like hell to grind favor and spent nearly every copper we had on the smallest-tier ship in the game. To us, that guild was worth everything we had, and represented hours and hours of work.

Flash forward to today, that 2-man guild is now a 1-man guild, after literal YEARS of effort I have finally reached level 60, and through it gained the ability to get basically all the amenities that are worth anything. I've also personally spent a considerable amount of money buying an AS airship and some AS amenities.

But again, by your standards, my guild is hardly worth anything, and I find that just a little offensive.

Pretty much this.

My guild is also very small, and has never had many people. We busted our ass for 7+ years to get it to where it is, no exploits.

Like I said, my Guildie also spent hundreds of $USD to get our Kraken in the air and most of the good amenities, I bought the rest with AS earned from selling high-demand items on the ASAH.

I wouldn't mind paying a small transfer fee (100 AS is more than enough) to prove it's a Guild with live players, but you better believe I want ALL my toys back in the cargo hold and all my hard won Guild Levels when I "touch down" on that new server.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  

Again, not trying to shit on your guild or your effort or investment.  Just trying to create something that limits the griefing or work load.   There are a lot of level 20 guilds that have been inactive for years.  No need to deal with them.  Also, if I have an alt guild at level 15 and it's free, I'll make them move it.  If I have an alt guild and it costs 500TP, maybe I say screw it.  I'll start it over.  Or just roll those toons into my main guild when i get to my new home.  Or, find a new guild and meet some new people in my new destination rather than recreating the same situation I had before. 

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:15pm:
Again, not trying to shit on your guild or your effort or investment.  Just trying to create something that limits the griefing or work load.   There are a lot of level 20 guilds that have been inactive for years.  No need to deal with them.  Also, if I have an alt guild at level 15 and it's free, I'll make them move it.  If I have an alt guild and it costs 500TP, maybe I say screw it.  I'll start it over.  Or just roll those toons into my main guild when i get to my new home.  Or, find a new guild and meet some new people in my new destination rather than recreating the same situation I had before. 

I understand the logic, but we shouldn't lose sight of the main issue: Low server populations.

"Recreating the same situation I had before" is like telling all the people evacuating Florida that they shouldn't by a new house because that's just the same problem they had before.

It wasn't their fault that the environment LITERALLY changed around them and they were forced to move because everything is now blown into the stratosphere or under 100 feet of sea-water.

The same logic applies here (sans hyperbole)... I want EXACTLY the life I had before, but with people. I want maximum possible continuity with the minimum amount of disturbance to my routine.

None of these circumstances were on me. It's now up to the government (re:Standing Stone Games) to handle the clean-up.

Or you know, they can let the "free market" handle it and watch it sink into the sea as the players desert and SSG gets to stand in the Unemployment line.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:26pm:
I understand the logic, but we shouldn't lose sight of the main issue: Low server populations.

"Recreating the same situation I had before" is like telling all the people evacuating Florida that they shouldn't by a new house because that's just the same problem they had before.

It wasn't their fault that the environment LITERALLY changed around them and they were forced to move because everything is now blown into the stratosphere or under 100 feet of sea-water.

The same logic applies here (sans hyperbole)... I want EXACTLY the life I had before, but with people. I want maximum possible continuity with the minimum amount of disturbance to my routine.

None of these circumstances were on me. It's now up to the government (re:Standing Stone Games) to handle the clean-up.

Or you know, they can let the "free market" handle it and watch it sink into the sea as the players desert and SSG gets to stand in the Unemployment line.

I'm sure there is a middle ground.  Just make it something people need to be active to initiate so that you don't have to deal with the inactive guilds and make it have some cost (100 AS is fine) so that people don't just do it to be annoying.  And do it in such a way that it can't be exploited/duped.  It's not that difficult.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
This is where server merges start to look attractive - no need for any questions about who deserves what. Everyone is equal in a merger.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #21 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Lamefinder should have been closed years ago.  It's never had a population and is hardly a canary in a coalmine.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #22 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:09pm:
This is where server merges start to look attractive - no need for any questions about who deserves what. Everyone is equal in a merger.

Problems with server merge:

1)  They force you to go to server X.  No choice which server to go to.
2)  They have to deal with all the inactive characters.
3)  They have to deal with all the inactive guilds.
4)  They have to deal with all the TR caches and shared banks and stuff that isn't character specific.
5)  By having no "proactive" component, you will have people who will be lazy or just intentionally difficult.  Like with the mailbox limit. 
6)  The naming issues.

There is nothing attractive about server merges.  They are a cluster fuck.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:25pm
Print Post  

People have complained about those servers being dead as doornails for years...

I've toyed with transferring to another server from here myself, but I don't want to "start over" with a new Guild since I'm leader of a Lvl 100+ guild now. I may change my mind due to pressing "real world" issues though.

From everything I've read in recent times and personally seen in-game, Ghallanda appears to have one of the more active and healthier populations.  There are usually multiple LFMs posted for various level ranges during primetime hours.

Unless you're a raging asshole in-game, I can't see it being that hard to transfer to Ghallanda and join a 150+ level guild.  I know several of the mid and high level guilds are actively looking for new members.  Doing so could also potentially be a step up in terms of guild buffs, storage, etc.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/453588-All-Server-Guild-List-Lvl-175

Asheras wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:07pm:
You have to do it in a way that kills the old guild in the process.  And restore the renown.  You could just give them the materials needed to rebuy the ship and amenities easily.  It's the Guild Level/Rewnown that there is no way to recreate on the destination.  So it either needs to be a single transaction (kill old guild/spawn new guild) and then let the leader take it from there with shards and plat in inventory or an asynchronous thing (Kill old guild/give leader a one time use code for the DDO store).  Then they can create the guild and use the code (which will give them the guild renown they used to have) and use the AS/plat to rebuy the ship and amenities whenever they want. 

They can't leave the old guild intact during the process or use any sort of inventory token/stone that could be duped/reused.

Not sure what you're debating here.  You essentially just parroted what I said except for the renown.

You proposed that SSG shut down the ghost town servers and give people a free transfer to their choice of one of four servers.  Guild data is not shared between servers, so there would be no duping if they shut the old servers down.

They already have the ability to award guild renown in varying amounts in-game (saga rewards).  Shouldn't be too hard even for SSG to tweak that system for this.  Same for shards.

It's not like they couldn't create vouchers for the total in fractions based on the plat cap.  Or just temporarily allow the guild leader toon to exceed the plat cap in a manner similar to the character inventory overflow system.  Lots of ways to work around that.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:25pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #24 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Don't merge things half-assed. Mega server or bust.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint