Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Dis game iz dyin' (Read 21459 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Dis game iz dyin'
Reply #25 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:38pm:
Don't merge things half-assed. Mega server or bust.

Mega-server is a practical impossibility. The engine simply wasn't designed for it, you are talking about re-coding the application on a massive, low-level scale. If they can't fix the TR cache bug, do you really think they can re-write the core functionality of the server software?

No.

Asheras wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:38pm:
CONS with server merge:

1)  They force you to go to server X.  No choice which server to go to.
2)  They have to deal with all the inactive characters.
3)  They have to deal with all the inactive guilds.
4)  They have to deal with all the TR caches and shared banks and stuff that isn't character specific.
5)  By having no "proactive" component, you will have people who will be lazy or just intentionally difficult.  Like with the mailbox limit. 
6)  The naming issues.

There is nothing attractive about server merges.  They are a cluster fuck. 

FIFY

PROS of server merge:
1)one-time headache that covers all use-cases
2)supports inactive characters
3)supports inactive guilds (These count as pros because people DO come back)
4)They have to deal with all the TR-caches. Maybe while they're at it, they can fix the fucking things.
5)The "proactive" component is on the developer's side to devise a solution that is as painless as possible for all parties involved. You don't have to deal with the customers on a player-by-player basis, you tell them "This is what's happening" and then do it. Which is more in-line with SSGs style anyway.
6. Merge has potentially to generate actual revenue, as players who want to transfer to a different server than the targeted merge server have the option to pay for character transfers.

Keep in mind, both my character and my entire guild have endured multiple 6-10 month "inactive" stretches. Be a shame to see a money-spending player and guild left behind just because they happened to be on a break.

Digimonk wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:25pm:
It's not like they couldn't create vouchers for the total in fractions based on the plat cap.  Or just temporarily allow the guild leader toon to exceed the plat cap in a manner similar to the character inventory overflow system.  Lots of ways to work around that.

Allowing the guild leader to exceed the cap is not possible; the cap is the cap because of the way the game stores data, not some arbitrarily set limit.

A voucher system would work great, though. Hell, a voucher system could have fixed the motherfucking plat economy instead of this astral shard bullshit Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #26 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Way past the "dyin" point.
There are maybe 100 - 350 people on, add 50 unguilded newbs on Orien and that's it.
Sometimes even less than 100 on Ghallanda who list.

Was a fun ride but now everybody's gone.
Except 200 ocd bimbos with million past lives that ironically can't play for shit, guess not many people are interested in fucking grind as the only mean of character progression.

No trading, no customer support, tr bugs, shitty content and every update is basically a cash grab that obsolete previous stuff, "short term" without keeping the game and its direction "intact".
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:31pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:26pm:
add 50 unguilded newbs on Orien and that's it.

Makes the lfm look good, but once you hover over them you see majority of them are single lfms that never get clicked on. A few normal lfms that no one ever hits up, some way over level ones that are also dry.

The remaining players don't know the mechanics of things like FoT or Shroud. Had a wipe in EE FoT few days. No one took dragons, is fine for me on ee, i don't mind. SR tank turned into SR kiter around entire quest. Fine for me, had sheath, on shiradi, + absorption charges. Got SR and TO to 5%, then they dropped SR without telling anyone. I wasn't about to potion just to solo an easy raid while everyone was dead. They deserved the fail.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:36pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #28 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 4:59pm:
Allowing the guild leader to exceed the cap is not possible; the cap is the cap because of the way the game stores data, not some arbitrarily set limit.

Except they've already raised it once in the past and could do so again if they wanted.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #29 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:44pm:
Except they've already raised it once in the past and could do so again if they wanted.

The 4.3 million limit is a 32-bit unsigned integer, is a limitation in how the game stores currency(as the number of coppers you have). They were able to raise the limit before because it was originally a lower, artificial cap. It is now capped in a way that cannot be changed without drastic re-coding.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #30 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:02pm:
drastic re-coding

Add a plat column.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #31 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Or.. in that ship place where you buy them.. you can deposit like up to 10mill.. that you cant take out that goes to the ship only.. our ship has that much in there now even tho we got everything..lol

They can put that $$ there

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #32 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
The 4.3 million limit is a 32-bit unsigned integer, is a limitation in how the game stores currency(as the number of coppers you have). They were able to raise the limit before because it was originally a lower, artificial cap. It is now capped in a way that cannot be changed without drastic re-coding.

Like I said, there are plenty of ways around that which wouldn't require "drastic" measures.

In the end, it doesn't really matter though because SSG has proven that they give no more fucks about revitalizing DDO and fixing the dwindling server populations and attrition than Turbine did so they're not going to do anything like this any time soon.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #33 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:23pm:
Like I said, there are plenty of ways around that which wouldn't require "drastic" measures.

Ok, so clearly you haven't done any coding.

Flav or Strak or someone want to hop in and explain exactly why changing something that fundamental is not simple?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #34 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Skrilla wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 7:31pm:
Or.. in that ship place where you buy them.. you can deposit like up to 10mill.. that you cant take out that goes to the ship only.. our ship has that much in there now even tho we got everything..lol

They can put that $$ there

The deposite system can do that because tis only tracking platinum, where as personal fortune is tracked by coppers.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #35 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
Orien is particularly bad for douchebags and out-of-control dupers too, unless we all got lucky and they quit.

Show us on the doll where the baddy uncle Orienite touched you.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #36 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:35pm:
The remaining players don't know the mechanics of things like FoT or Shroud. Had a wipe in EE FoT few days. No one took dragons, is fine for me on ee, i don't mind. SR tank turned into SR kiter around entire quest. Fine for me, had sheath, on shiradi, + absorption charges. Got SR and TO to 5%, then they dropped SR without telling anyone. I wasn't about to potion just to solo an easy raid while everyone was dead. They deserved the fail.

Solo that shit like a pro. It's hella easy especially on a ranged toon )))

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #37 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 1:04am
Print Post  
wow, lots of things....

G-Land is quite alive, we are still able to fill the friday and saturday evening raids with just the signups on guild website. ( that's something that was not so easy in the latter days of Keeper )

Merging : the only way to do it that late in the game is to do a soft merge.

One Free Transfer to the server of your choice for all characters, wait a quarter  to see how the dust settle.
look at the lowest population servers and warn that they are going to get killed, it's time to transfer if you want to move to a server that's not the one that is going to receive the characters ( 1,5 month warning ). Only merge the chracters that have been active in the last 3 years... and rename basaed on activity. ( not active gets renamed, most active gets to keep his/her name )

Digimonk wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:23pm:

In the end, it doesn't really matter though because SSG has proven that they give no more fucks about revitalizing DDO and fixing the dwindling server populations and attrition than Turbine did so they're not going to do anything like this any time soon.

noamineo wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:37pm:

Flav or Strak or someone want to hop in and explain exactly why changing something that fundamental is not simple?

depends on how it has been coded.... it might just be to change in the declaration part longint to doubleint and recompile, that assume that they used a string in the database for the field.... but if they used a longint in the database, changing it to doubleint wwill lead to lots of fun stuff.
( said another way : unless you want to spend days fixing broken things you do not change a data type in a database. )

It all depends if the guy that did the datamodel had a clue or not... And since the currency initially was gold not plat, I suspect they didn't think about players getting filthy rich, so the field is probably a longint in the database ( it saves a lot of space compared to a string : 4.300.000.000 = 10 bytes in string format, but the actual space reserved might be longer,  4 in longint format )

Oh and the exact value is 4294967295. ( also 11111111111111111111111111111 or FFFFFFFF )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:16am:
Solo that shit like a pro

could have easily. my kiting skills are S tier.  Was on a shiradi. even without joy I can piss on that raid. The group deserved the wipe. I'm not going to waste pots for some idiots that can't be bothered to do even basic shit.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #39 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:07am:
Show us on the doll where the baddy uncle Orienite touched you.

I don't know...Orien is kinda the Florida of servers.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #40 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:40am
Print Post  

There's a million easy ways to do it.  You just wouldn't change the original thing at all.

They should just do like Canada and Australia though.  Drop copper entirely!   Grin

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #41 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:28am:
I don't know...Orien is kinda the Florida of servers.

A giant limp phallus that old people visit once a year?

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #42 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:40am:
There's a million easy ways to do it.  You just wouldn't change the original thing at all.

They should just do like Canada and Australia though.  Drop copper entirely!   Grin

So all those quests that drop copper when you break boxes?

Every single vendor that calculates copper into the value of an items you're selling down to the copper?

Hell, all the items that cost coppers?

You wanna watch the team that can't even fix a ladder bug re-code all of that?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #43 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I remember the time when copper was important, and every coin from bashed barrel was collected... At that time the hard currency was Gold, and people with 1k plats were filthy rich.  Roll Eyes

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #44 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Investing time to make a Haggle bard used to be a thing.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I remember a time when DDO had a functioning economy.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #46 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post  

Clearly you're just being your usual, dense self.  I understand full well the difference between floating point, short, normal and long integers, etc., etc.

I didn't say they would have to change it from an int to a long int or a floating.  I said there are plenty of ways around it, even if they really were shortsighted enough type the variable improperly, which this being SSG I can believe they might have been.  For example, the platinum vault storage in the shared bank.

It seems at this point that you're just arguing for arguing's sake. 
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:21pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #47 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce