Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Sentient Weapons News? (Read 6440 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Sentient Weapons News?
Reply #25 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 11:57am:
You'd be praising the devs if you were the only person online.
Which is not that far from less than a hundred at times now.
And I don't get the religion, sorry.

Meh.  You would still be trashing them if you had 3500 concurrent users on with you.

You don't need to get religion to understand that all nonprofits get money from donations.  So if you go to a nonprofit, don't bitch about them asking for donations.   Don't play an mmo and complain about the grind.  It's par for the course.  Sure there are levels of grind but just saying new system sounds like grind is captain obvious stuff.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #26 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Must grind out moar arguments about grind.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #27 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Bobbicus wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:28pm:
Zuggtmoy's throne room illustrates this perfectly. Honestly, the haphazard design that DDO does? Same thing in Warframe, but the designers there are competent, and it works. Get a good idea, throw away what you were working on, build the new thing for six months instead. Here? They haven't been bold like that since Cannith Challenges.

ZOMG... That fucking broken DM narration drives me batshit crazy every time.

Seriously, setting the coordinates on a trigger is something a trained chimpanzee could do.

Can't speak to Warframe, never played it.

In retrospect I get that the Challenges were a novel concept, basically an "always on" Crystal Cove (although some might argue it's "always on" too).

Too bad they were busted at launch and haven't been fixed since.

How many years has it been that Kobold Island can't be 6-starred?  Roll Eyes

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #28 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I agree with noamineo that more TR items would be a better route than endgame equipment. Perhaps DDO doesn't have a good, healthy endgame in my eyes, or perhaps I'm simply not attracted to the idea of endgame, regardless of the MMO. But as far as DDO is concerned, I see endgame as: grind loot to play endgame raids at a higher difficulty; play endgame raids at a higher difficulty to obtain loot which helps you play the same endgame raids at a higher difficulty; rinse and repeat. It's just incredibly grindy from my perspective, and even though TR is technically a grind as well, a heroic TR is at least going through hundreds of different quests, so the grind feels a lot more varied.

Personally if I'm playing an MMO, what I need is a sense of progression and variance. The heroic TR system has historically offered this, and is a large part of what I enjoyed about DDO. So in the end, I agree that being able to grind out items which would assist during the TR adventure would be more helpful in the long run.

So I don't know how long you've been playing DDO, but back when cap was 20, people(shockingly) stayed at cap for a while! You had the old style Epic weapons to grind out(Shard/Seal/Scroll made it feel like progress) plus grinding out your Green Steel items for next-life.

I remember when the cap was 25 I liked it even better, because I was also earning Epic XP while getting prepped for my next life. That I think was the butter-zone of the game for me. Not that I don't like ETRs.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 1:59am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 9:59pm:
So I don't know how long you've been playing DDO, but back when cap was 20, people(shockingly) stayed at cap for a while! You had the old style Epic weapons to grind out(Shard/Seal/Scroll made it feel like progress) plus grinding out your Green Steel items for next-life.

I remember when the cap was 25 I liked it even better, because I was also earning Epic XP while getting prepped for my next life. That I think was the butter-zone of the game for me. Not that I don't like ETRs.

Incidentally, I saw the old days when the cap was 20 to be the "golden age" of DDO. I realize that not everything was perfect, but they had a decent endgame system. Shroud was the premier endgame raid and clearing it at elite was truly an accomplishment worth working for, and something that was rewarding--because after all, everyone makes good use of Green Steel. I loved those days; far more people playing the game (community overall seemed more fun-loving and less uptight back then), better game balance, and better progression.

I've always thought that DDO would've been better serviced by building off of that system, rather than radically and fundamentally altering the endgame system to becoming what it is now. Say what you want about the new epic level progression, but cleaving the game into essentially two different games (heroic and epic) was one of the worst things Turbine ever did. Back before MOTU, the endgame felt like more of an extension or capstone to the heroic game, rather than a separate game altogether.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Quote:
Incidentally, I saw the old days when the cap was 20 to be the "golden age" of DDO. I realize that not everything was perfect, but they had a decent endgame system. Shroud was the premier endgame raid and clearing it at elite was truly an accomplishment worth working for, and something that was rewarding--because after all, everyone makes good use of Green Steel. I loved those days; far more people playing the game (community overall seemed more fun-loving and less uptight back then), better game balance, and better progression.

I've always thought that DDO would've been better serviced by building off of that system, rather than radically and fundamentally altering the endgame system to becoming what it is now. Say what you want about the new epic level progression, but cleaving the game into essentially two different games (heroic and epic) was one of the worst things Turbine ever did. Back before MOTU, the endgame felt like more of an extension or capstone to the heroic game, rather than a separate game altogether.

The other thing thats really important to keep in mind: back then, clearing shroud on Elite was both an accomplishment and also technically POSSIBLE. All it took was the right gear, and a balanced group who knew the raid. The game was balanced such that it was truly challenging. It was fun. It required teamwork.

I dare anyone to ten-skull Legendary Shroud Tongue I'm sure it's doable, but holly fuck I'd like to see anyone try. People don't even bother to LHard it because its more trouble than it's worth. The raid isn't challenging, the mobs just have stupid amounts of HP.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:53am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 2:45am:
ten-skull Legendary Shroud

Was just thinking about this the other day.
Part 1 Portal explosion would wipe party. Could charm trash to help you dps portals, but that sounds like a 5 hour part 1.

Part 2 bosses... there's not enough trash to charm. And how is the crystal getting broken?

Blades would insta gib you.

Harry is never getting 1 rounded.

IDK if it is doable even with 100 reaper ap on each party member.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:54am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Dwarven Zoo Keeper
Korthos Resident

I Love llama's!

Reply #32 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Quote:
But as far as DDO is concerned, I see endgame as: grind loot to play endgame raids at a higher difficulty; play endgame raids at a higher difficulty to obtain loot which helps you play the same endgame raids at a higher difficulty; rinse and repeat. It's just incredibly grindy from my perspective, and even though TR is technically a grind as well, a heroic TR is at least going through hundreds of different quests, so the grind feels a lot more varied. 

And there in lies the real display of how well the game is being managed. Those rinsing and repeating bastards who are always at endgame, are who reaper should have been aimed at, instead of the TR hamster wheel.

Meanwhile SSG is trying to sell electrical space heaters in Hawaii.

Well someone has to feed the trolls...

IP Logged

shadowgate
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 9:44am:
Yes.  New content and systems will include grind.  Duh.  MMO. 

Do you go to church and get surprised or upset when they pass the offering plate?   Duh.  No shit Sherlock. 

You've seen playing DDO too long if you think the only way an MMO can add content is another grindfest. In the context of DDO though yeah I guess I shouldn't have expected anything different.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #34 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
shadowgate wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:19pm:
You've seen playing DDO too long if you think the only way an MMO can add content is another grindfest. In the context of DDO though yeah I guess I shouldn't have expected anything different.

Mmo and replaying content go hand in hand.  Unless you are doing pvp.  But in the pve environment there need to beasons to rerun content.  Whether that is loot or xp or something else that is a grind mechanic.    I never said grindfest.  That implies an excessive grind. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #35 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 5:58pm:
Mmo and replaying content go hand in hand.  Unless you are doing pvp.  But in the pve environment there need to beasons to rerun content.  Whether that is loot or xp or something else that is a grind mechanic.    I never said grindfest.  That implies an excessive grind. 

Yep.

There are a lot of ways you can encourage players to re-run content without making it a terminal grind.

Difficulty Modes would be a really great example, but DDO only rewards players for completing the hardest difficulties.

Grinding for money is a great one, but DDO has no economy so there's nothing to buy.

Getting better gear is an awesome idea, but DDO's loot system is so insanely random that getting a useful item is extremely unlikely, and the bonuses on reaper gear are so small they make no difference.

Introduce semi-random elements to each play-through is slightly different? The few times they've tried, they've bunkled it.

What about just some kind of special reward for completing something X-number of times? Players loved it, devs hated it. Go figure.

Anyone else have any ideas?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint