Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic More stupid questions (Read 2512 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

More stupid questions
Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Looking for a little insight for a few choices I have to make.

First, how much fortification do you need in epics?  My pure, capped barb is at 238% fortification right now wearing a set of shadow armor.  I picked up a set of L Hardened Hide armor from Good intentions - it's medium and adds 10 to my AC, but I have to give up 5% dodge, which is an easy choice in my mind (5% dodge > 2% AC).

But the Hide armor would also push my fort from 238% to 339%.  Is it worth losing 5% dodge to pick up an extra 100 to my fort?  (think I'm at 23% dodge right now and that would drop me to 18%).

Next cloaks - my choices are

Epic Jeweled cloak - +10 to elemental resist and spell absorbing (which hasn't been much use near as I can tell.  It absorbs crappy spells I wouldn't even notice - think my SR is 45 or 50 in epics).

L Slave Master's Cloak - would add 4 AC (already have 10 protection on my bracers), 33 hitpoints, 1 point to my reflex saves (I don't think I have insightful resistance anywhere, but it only adds one crappy point to reflex instead of 6) and 16 DR spearblock.

L 24 Mimic Cloak - +15 DR and sticky guard (everything else is duplicated on other named items).

It basically comes down to, which is better?  10 elemental protection, +15 DR or +16 DR against arrows and a handful of hitpoints?

Thanks.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: More stupid questions
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:14am
Print Post  
1. Not worth losing 5% dodge for an extra (unneeded) 100 fortification. Usually I try to shoot for around 200% Fort. I don't see the need for more.

2. Of the three choices you gave us, the Jeweled Cloak is easily the winner. the +10% resists are nice but the 20 or 25 charges that absorb spells is pretty nice.

Question: How often does the Sticky Guard proc on the mimic cloak? If it procs often and it slows down the mobs long enough, I might have to change my mind.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:16am by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
You want fortification equal to 100 + the CR of the mobs you're fighting to negate sneak attacks and critical hits.  So if you're tanking/soloing, then use the CR of the bosses. Otherwise use the highest CR of the trash.

Personally, I wouldn't wear the Epic Jeweled Cloak 24/7.  I'd don it for a cluster of spell casters if soloing or famine reapers.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:30am:
I picked up a set of L Hardened Hide armor from Good intentions - it's medium and adds 10 to my AC, but I have to give up 5% dodge, which is an easy choice in my mind (5% dodge > 2% AC).

Are we talking Shadowhide (Light) vs. Hardened Hide (Medium) armors?  If so, you need to factor in the PRR differences from BAB and Greater Rage.  (The medium armor will get +20 more PRR on a barb.)  Also, do you have another source of Ghostly?  Because, if you don't, that's another 10% damage mitigation in favor of Shadow Scale.

And do you have the Dragonblood Prophecy pack?  Because this armor isn't terrible to farm for:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Scales_of_Malice
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2017 at 8:01pm by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 1:37am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 7:56pm:
Are we talking Shadowhide (Light) vs. Hardened Hide (Medium) armors?  If so, you need to factor in the PRR differences from BAB and Greater Rage.

Yeah, that finally sunk in late last night.  So I'd be adding +10 to AC, +12 PRR and +100% fortification in exchange for losing 5% dodge.  Is it worth it now?

QuantumFX wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 7:56pm:
And do you have the Dragonblood Prophecy pack?

Nope.  Only missing two packs now, but that's one of them.  Looks good, but most of my toons usually pass the 15 mark on dex.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 1:37am:
So I'd be adding +10 to AC, +12 PRR and +100% fortification in exchange for losing 5% dodge.

Don't forget Greater Rage's +10 PRR when using medium armor. So it's ~22 PRR.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 12:10pm:
You want fortification equal to 100 + the CR of the mobs you're fighting to negate sneak attacks and critical hits. 

This. 238 is already superfluous, so an extra 100 is a complete waste. Note that some champions simply ignore your fortification though, so you will still get crat on.

That's why Hardened Hide is pretty lame. I would look into Scalemail of the Celestial Avenger, that is the low hanging fruit at cap. If you're more serious about optimizing gear that might not be the way to go though. If you're TWF, I would take a look at the list I posted for Str based tempests last year:

Quote:
L Executioner's Helm (Ins deception +7, Relentless Fury, Seeker 17, Qual CM+4, Mythic +3) 1 slot
E Golden Guile (Imp deception, Ghostly) 1 slot
E Litany (+2 stats, +4 hit and damage) 2 slots
Mysterious Cloak (45 exc Hamp, 25 ins MRR) 2 slots
L Animated Rope (Diversion 28, SA +14, Dodge 17, CM 14 (Ins), Mythic +3) 1 slot
L Ring of Power (Qual Str 4, Command (+2 UMD) Alacrity 15, Ins AP 13, Mythic +3) 1 slot
L Ring of Prowess (Deadly 14, Accuracy 28, MP 8, Mythic +3) 1 slot
CC Gloves (Dstrike/Hamp/Ins Str) 2 slots
Slave craft Boots (Str/AP/Tendon Slice/Q PRR/Mythic +3) 1 slot
Slave craft Bracers (Con/Devotion/Vertigo/Q Con/Mythic +3) 1 slot
Visions of Precision (Wis 12, Ins Wis 4, Stunning 15, Mythic +3) 2 slots
ToEE armor (Fort 150, lesser displace, Absorption, Resistance, Mythic +4) 1 slot
T3 TF Khopesh/ToEE Khopesh (Mythic +4) 3 slots
19 slots

As for cloaks, I would definitely go slave master unless you already have a high Parrying/Riposte slotted. It's also nice for the set bonus.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Sonilasfx
Korthos Resident

: ]

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
L Executioner's Helm (Ins deception +7, Relentless Fury, Seeker 17, Qual CM+4, Mythic +3) 1 slot
E Golden Guile (Imp deception, Ghostly) 1 slot
E Litany (+2 stats, +4 hit and damage) 2 slots
Mysterious Cloak (45 exc Hamp, 25 ins MRR) 2 slots
L Animated Rope (Diversion 28, SA +14, Dodge 17, CM 14 (Ins), Mythic +3) 1 slot
L Ring of Power (Qual Str 4, Command (+2 UMD) Alacrity 15, Ins AP 13, Mythic +3) 1 slot
L Ring of Prowess (Deadly 14, Accuracy 28, MP 8, Mythic +3) 1 slot
CC Gloves (Dstrike/Hamp/Ins Str) 2 slots
Slave craft Boots (Str/AP/Tendon Slice/Q PRR/Mythic +3) 1 slot
Slave craft Bracers (Con/Devotion/Vertigo/Q Con/Mythic +3) 1 slot
Visions of Precision (Wis 12, Ins Wis 4, Stunning 15, Mythic +3) 2 slots
ToEE armor (Fort 150, lesser displace, Absorption, Resistance, Mythic +4) 1 slot
T3 TF Khopesh/ToEE Khopesh (Mythic +4) 3 slots
19 slots

is it best set gears for a meele?

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2017 at 5:55pm by Sonilasfx »  

:]

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Sonilasfx wrote on Oct 27th, 2017 at 4:38pm:
is it best set gears for a meele?

It's a strong contender for Str based TWF melee. No U35 loot though, that might be worth looking at.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint