Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Alts: What's the Point in 2017? (Read 9004 times)
Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Re: Alts: What's the Point in 2017?
Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Nov 1st, 2017 at 3:51am:
Lobotomised hamsters. Toons with 20+ lives in bios utterly useless too often. Especially newer players that I suppose gets told that you suck without whateverfuckingpletionist. Jesus christ, hordes of those mouse clicking, keyobard turning tardlocks with awareness of baby chimpanzee with Tourettes.
Hundreds of past lives wouldn't make up for retarded gameplay. Nothing substitutes experience or fast fingers.
Each to their own.

Too true

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I just went through all my alts to get named gear to feed my sentient jewel.   Some of these I used to play all the time... and man some of them have some really crappy gear that was "HOT" at one point.

However, all my hoarding paid off... my sentient jewel is at 40K XP now.
7K from using all the named stuff in our guild chests that had been in there for years... was funny to see two "The Blood Stone"s in there... fucking vendor trash now.
18K from turning in all my ingredients for those Cormyerean random weapons E-Star
And  the rest from crap that has been sitting on mules/alts forever.

Sentient XP needs has definitely cleared up a lot of my hoarder inventory.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
but back on topic, I just play my quad-Triple completionist now.  If I want a different build, I just spend a week TRing it.  Can't bring myself to play something else that isn't as powerful as it could be.  Still keep around my old Shiradi Wizard... it's still pretty unkillable even with only 3 or 4 past lives on it.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #28 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:05pm:
I see a lot more using alts now with ravenloft. 

I ran every one of my 12 alts through Ravenloft. Free favour and an Augment bag are too good to pass up.

Then did it again on another server (didn't get all 12 there though, those toons were hilariously out-dated).

In a sad way the TR-Racial-EPL-IPL hamster wheel was liberating for me.

I figured: "I won't see triple completion anything before the servers go dark... So fuck it."

I play alts for favour rewards, to help Guildees, free TP, and to find/grind gear.

I actually keep a few on perma-first life because their drop rates tend to be better. #tinfoilhat

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

exploytoften
Waterworks Kobold

Can i haz yer stuffz?

Reply #29 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Only reason i can see to play alts is the raids that give runes. feed them to other toons.

My motto is: exploit early, exploit often
YIM  
IP Logged

Bandman
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
exploytoften wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:50pm:
Only reason i can see to play alts is the raids that give runes. feed them to other toons.

This ^^  ...That moment when your Raid group hasn't gotten a healer yet, and you have one at cap.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #31 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
If eveything keeps going as planned.. my alts will be making a splash in the raiding circles very early 2019..

Save my spot bro.. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:10pm by Skrilla »  

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #32 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:30am
Print Post  
I take a different look on alts myself. Generally I play my toons to an archetype. I have permanently a few types of toons I have found I really enjoy playing at various points. For instance I always keep a quarterstaff build, this toon in particular I make a lot of odd and strange experimental build trying out various ways to build it, some of them I admit suck but those go to 20 and it TRs into something else no big deal, its I think 18 or 19 lives in and nearing first heroic completion with a few 3x stacked already. I also keep a Chucker build, a Repeater/GxB build who also gets my rune arms. A Druid Caster/Healer, a Wizard that mostly is used to stay 20 just to farm Earth Soul Gems for Adamantine rituals and Undead ones for Undead Bane shard crafting (I used to sell a lot of that back in the day or make it for guildies).

I have a Warlock/caster that doesn't have much of a direction but something will occur to me it's I think 7 lives in. I have a Swash Icebard build I like on one of my completionists. and then there are a few specialty toons. I have what once was a Pit runner turned banker who never runs anymore and a level 16 Heroic House C Challenge farmer dating from when we ran those for mats to turn into Tokens for TR before Epic lives making that... not so much of an issue but now I find I dusted the toon off to remake some of the Cannith Gear as it really doesn't suck and the tier 3 no longer is btc but no upgrade path save going up a level set the Devbastards...

At any rate I have things set that way to make gear a bit easier but it means I need to farm more stuff when new hottness occurs. I generally keep 3-4 at 30 to farm and raid as things occur and run 1 heroic TR and 1 or 2 ETRs. I run with a static group on the Heroic TR train and I swap out which of the toons I run with it just to keep the playstyle interesting for me as I get bored with having to go cookie cutter routes.

Build experiences and trying things are why I still keep playing this game despite it's dated engine, bugs and Turbine/SSG... I wish there was a more interesting alternative but I have yet to find something that has the build diversity system in DDO. I admit its TR thing for that incremental increase is fun... enough that I have played since they went to F2P more or less.

I don't want to lock myself into just one Uber toon that is "done" I mean what fun is it farm when there is no real meaning to it anymore. I had just one toon I would have quit long ago as it would have maxed out pre-Motu probably. Keeping alts helps make it interesting for me. But then I look at things from a different view than many.

Of the 6 or 7 toons I have there are 3 active completionists and 2 others close to it doing single quad max toon holds no interest for me. Just like I won't make a single toon do every quest/raid in the game on elite either.... though a guildie of ours did that recently on his 3rd life and then more or less quit the game. He reached his long term goal and moved on.  I guess I haven't found an end goal yet so for me that is what the alts are  for. YMMV

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint