Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Theory (Read 4792 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

New Theory
Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
What if SSG's support is being outsourced to a prison?

Picture it: prison inmates, already short on fucks to give, control most tiers of support, but in doing so, have access to the game to play it with GM commands. When a customer does have a problem, they can take care of it with minimal effort(most tickets get closed with a single canned response and most in-game issues get resolved with a solid middle finger).

If there's a problem, the senior guys can cover for the junior guys. As long as nothing IN WRITING is openly abusive to the customers, they are free to ban accounts, fuck with inventories, ignore tickets, and generally dick around, all while getting paid to play the game.

We already know the GMs have zero oversight. If you have a complaint about the GM, it will generally be handled by the same GM you are trying to complain about. There is no way to get past the front line, except by going to the "help" site, where many of the same GMs action tickets(by closing them with no response).

All they have to do is actually help 1 in 10 people, or only help the forum paladins, and they get to keep their cushy jail-job. It would NOT be tough to spend 5 minutes on the forums figure out who's sucking the dev's dicks, then make sure those guys get an impeccable experience, then just fucking ignore everyone else.

It's all so obvious!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: New Theory
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
What powers do GMs have other than the ability to close a ticket without adequately communicating it hasn't been resolved?

IP Logged

Demoyn
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Prisoners (at least in America) are not granted access to the internet.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:36pm:

lol.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

NoGoodDoc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Using prison labor would be an upgrade from what we have now.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:25pm:
What powers do GMs have other than the ability to close a ticket without adequately communicating it hasn't been resolved?

Theoretically they would have invulnerability and 1-button kill-commands, which they can use to test dungeons and reproduce certain glitches without having to be good enough to actually beat them. At least that's what GMs have in other games.

Commands like spawning items or auto-completing dungeons would be monitored, but stuff like that would just be commonplace(if a GM has to come into a dungeon to help you, for example, they don't want to waste time clearing trash).

If you were a bored prisoner abusing your game access, you could slay through content and collect end rewards easy.

Demoyn wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:36pm:

Shockingly, that's not even remotely true. In fact, some prisoners had broadband before many American homes did  Roll Eyes

This is the sort of thing that is going to vary HEAVILY from state to state and even just prison to prison(the rules at, say, a federal prison are going to be completely different from a state-level for-profit prison).

In some prisons, well-behaved prisoners just get occasional access to a computer-lab style environment, in others prisoners can actually have fucking laptops and wifi. Again, its going to vary by state and local ordnance, and it'd be the ultra-well-behaved folks that get those priviliges.

Working outsourced jobs, of course, is another matter ENTIRELY. So while, yes, a typical prison inmate probably won't have unrestricted, on-demand access to the internet, they could very easily end up working a jail-job that involves answering phones and using a computer with internet access.

In fact, prison out-sourced call centers(yes I know SSG doesn't have a call center) are the main reason call center jobs are so shitty: a call center has to compete not only with third-world outsourcing but also prison outsourcing(which is even CHEAPER). And, now, outsourcing to fucking prisoners in the third world(if you ever had a particularly shitty experience with a CS rep who sounded unintelligible, that's why).

So of course this raised a further question: has some poor dude ever been shanked so another guy could steal his job as a shitty DDO GM?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 2:41pm:
Shockingly, that's not even remotely true. In fact, some prisoners had broadband before many American homes did  Roll Eyes

This is the sort of thing that is going to vary HEAVILY from state to state and even just prison to prison(the rules at, say, a federal prison are going to be completely different from a state-level for-profit prison).

In some prisons, well-behaved prisoners just get occasional access to a computer-lab style environment, in others prisoners can actually have fucking laptops and wifi. Again, its going to vary by state and local ordnance, and it'd be the ultra-well-behaved folks that get those priviliges.

Working outsourced jobs, of course, is another matter ENTIRELY. So while, yes, a typical prison inmate probably won't have unrestricted, on-demand access to the internet, they could very easily end up working a jail-job that involves answering phones and using a computer with internet access.

In fact, prison out-sourced call centers(yes I know SSG doesn't have a call center) are the main reason call center jobs are so shitty: a call center has to compete not only with third-world outsourcing but also prison outsourcing(which is even CHEAPER). And, now, outsourcing to fucking prisoners in the third world(if you ever had a particularly shitty experience with a CS rep who sounded unintelligible, that's why).

So of course this raised a further question: has some poor dude ever been shanked so another guy could steal his job as a shitty DDO GM?

Where is this at?  When I was locked up in Texas I was in college for multiple computer courses that would have benefited from internet access but was told that there's a federal law that disallows any inmates from having even marginally unsupervised internet access due to concerns over online victim stalking.  I have since found out that you can now use Skype to video call relatives, but those are heavily monitored live by officers on a one to one basis.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
You get better service when you drop the soap in a prison shower than SSG provides.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 4:33pm:
You get better service when you drop the soap in a prison shower than SSG provides.

Pretty apt description.

Demoyn wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 4:25pm:
Where is this at?  When I was locked up in Texas I was in college for multiple computer courses that would have benefited from internet access but was told that there's a federal law that disallows any inmates from having even marginally unsupervised internet access due to concerns over online victim stalking.  I have since found out that you can now use Skype to video call relatives, but those are heavily monitored live by officers on a one to one basis.

A.) When was this?
B.) Were you in a federal prison or a state prison? Owned by the state or private, for-profit prison?
C.) Are you aware that prison guards/officials lie to inmates whenever it suites them?

Like I said, its going to vary hugely by state, level of prison, owner of prison, etc.  Also no one would get "marginally unsupervised" access, there would be some pretty insanely strict content filtering going on(except, of course, in instances where the prisoners got internet access illegally, which has some funny stories Tongue ).

And then of course there's the whole inmates running call centers/support centers, which is well documented if you go check the web. Hell, in the prime of WoW prisons in china were even using prison labor to farm for gold.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 4:50pm:
A.) When was this?
B.) Were you in a federal prison or a state prison? Owned by the state or private, for-profit prison?
C.) Are you aware that prison guards/officials lie to inmates whenever it suites them?

A) 2003 - 2006
B) Government-run state prison (they're ALL for profit, fyi)
C) I was a prison guard years before I was an inmate.  I quit because the guards are legitimately worse people than the inmates on average, so yes... I'm well aware.  However, the people telling us this weren't mouth-breathing guards - they were college professors with prison access who complained about the law more than we did.  Maybe I was wrong about the federal law, but if so (and it appears so) then I'm pretty sure there was a state law stating the same.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Probably just state law - Texas, after all (remember the tent city prison?)

Also I think around 03-06 there was a serious crack-down on that sort of thing, its only eased up a lot in more recent years.

The call center thing dates back to the early 90s, though. Of course, thats far from unrestricted access, that'd be a prisoner, sitting at a desk, in prison, answering phones and using a computer that had access only to the call center software.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 11:10am:
Texas, after all (remember the tent city prison?)

Arpaio opened that... but it was in Arizona

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Slick Stick wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 12:22pm:
Arpaio opened that... but it was in Arizona

Goddamnit, Texas! Mess with your own state!

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
well they can outsource it to Frog prisons... we are unable to keep inmates from getting smartphones.

and it would make some of them actually do something for living.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
My friend has been in prison for the last 22 years.. somehow he is in fb and some other shit like that quite often.. ill ask him about it when i see him when he gets out in a few years... i dont have fb or anything.. so.. gotta wait a min to talk to him.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:15pm by Skrilla »  

IP Logged

Demoyn
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Skrilla wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:48pm:
My friend has been in prison for the last 22 years.. somehow he is in fb and some other shir like that quit often.. ill ask him about it when i see him when he getsout in a few years... i dont have fb or anything.. so.. gotta wait a min to talk to him.

It's not unusual in the slightest for inmates to sneak smartphones into a prison.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 2:52pm:
well they can outsource it to Frog prisons... we are unable to keep inmates from getting smartphones.

and it would make some of them actually do something for living.

Hmmm... standing stone's CS doing it's job from a smartphone that spends most of it's time in a frog's ass...

Yeah, that sounds like a solid theory.

(PS: we have the same problem over here, and it's actually quite serous. Aside from the obvious uses, I read an account in which an angry prisoner crapped out a phone and hukked it at another inmate, fracturing his skull. That's just shitty.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint