Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Black friday sales (Read 15818 times)
Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Re: Black friday sales
Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:32pm:
Not really.  Just guilds and channels.  But most seem to have bought the pack. 

I'm from a more casual cohort, and most I know aren't even buying the basic expansion. In fact, not a single person in my guild is, though most of us own both MOTU and Shadowfell. The consensus is "Meh, more grind I won't be able to get through before they nerf the rewards".

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:15pm:
4Q17 is Ravenloft, and Cordovan has already commented they're happy with the sales numbers so far.

Do you believe what any shill tells you?

Jerry also says that new player subscriptions are going gangbusters.  Do you believe that also?

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Don't mistake passing along information for something else. Belief is the last thing I have when it comes to SSG.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Yea, I'm going to have to change my estimate on that.  I should clarify that of the people I have been grouping with of late, aprox 30% are sporting, or were previously modeling the "We wanted to make it look like Van Helsing but didn't want to get sued so this was as close as we dared make it" cosmetic.

I don't know what the general population is at.  To be honest, I don't care and neither does STurbineSG  The cash cows are their customer base.  The ones who grind 3 hours a day or more. And of them, I'd estimate 30% went to the glory hole for a quickie.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:21am:
You know that many people in game who haven't bought the expansion?

I don't know a single person in game that has told me they bought the pack (or that I have seen wearing ugly crap, wielding dual daggers, or playing a Scourge), and I know quite a few that have told me they haven't.  Then again, there's a minimum IQ level to ride rides with me, so we probably don't hang around the same people.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:26am by Demoyn »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #30 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:25am:
Then again, there's a maximum IQ level to ride rides with me, so we probably don't hang around the same people.

Lol.  OK, troll boi.  I'm sure you do...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:32am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Friendship
Korthos Resident

Love me! Please?

Reply #31 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I've seen a handful of people who are wearing the hideous new outfits, but the vast majority of the people I talk to have not.

Granted I PUG a lot (and am masochistic) so a fair number of the people are relatively new, and none of them are rocking the outfits.

I think I see maybe 3-4 active players I PUG/group with that have the outfits?

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #32 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 9:06am:
Lol.  OK, troll boi.  I'm sure you do...  Roll Eyes

Says the whale and self-proclaimed SSG fanboi.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #33 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 1:04pm:
Says the whale and self-proclaimed SSG fanboi.

Actually, I've grown weary of the perpetual TR grind.  I've logged in once in the last week.  For about 30 minutes and ran one quest that took 5 min.  I've spent money on two other games. 

I'm not that jazzed on playing DDO at the moment.  I may be whaling, but I'm doing it elsewhere at the moment.  We shall see what Black Friday brings.  If it isn't compelling, I'll spend my money on other games. 

I have plenty of discretionary income.  And I prefer to spend it on games vs. other vices.  If that upsets you, too bad.  Mind your own business.  Smiley

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #34 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 4:18am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:24pm:
I have plenty of discretionary income.  And I prefer to spend it on games vs. other vices.

My wife would freak if she knew how much I spent on games.  Way I see it, 20 bucks won't go very far or last long in a bar or even a movie theater.

But that same 20 bucks buys a lot of hours of entertainment in a game.

A monthly investment of 20 bucks (or maybe a little more) for your entertainment budget is pretty damned cheap.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #35 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:24pm:
Actually, I've grown weary of the perpetual TR grind.  I've logged in once in the last week.  For about 30 minutes and ran one quest that took 5 min.  I've spent money on two other games. 

I'm not that jazzed on playing DDO at the moment.  I may be whaling, but I'm doing it elsewhere at the moment.  We shall see what Black Friday brings.  If it isn't compelling, I'll spend my money on other games. 

I have plenty of discretionary income.  And I prefer to spend it on games vs. other vices.  If that upsets you, too bad.  Mind your own business.  Smiley

Being a whale doesn't have much to do with how often you log in.  It's also not about much discretionary income you have.  It's all about the $$ you give to SSG while they continue doing you with no lube or a courtesy reach-around.

Take Shoemaker for example.  Apparently his discretionary income is near zero yet he continues to throw money at SSG and spend his time maintaining the DDO Wiki (lost opportunity cost that could have been used to increase his discretionary income and/or put food on his family's table without public panhandling).

Whale status can be determined with a simple question at the moment.  Have you already purchased either the $79.99 or $129.99 Ravenloft bundles?

I'm not the one that seems upset.  I just thought it was funny and a bit ironic that you, one of DDO's cheerleaders, is calling him a troll given how you're a fairly self-admitted fanboi posting on site that's known for being pretty anti-DDO fanboi.

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2017 at 4:42pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #36 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Nov 21st, 2017 at 4:18am:
My wife would freak if she knew how much I spent on games.  Way I see it, 20 bucks won't go very far or last long in a bar or even a movie theater.

But that same 20 bucks buys a lot of hours of entertainment in a game.

A monthly investment of 20 bucks (or maybe a little more) for your entertainment budget is pretty damned cheap.

To each their own, but keeping financial expenditures secret from your significant other is generally not good for the health of a long term relationship.  Money and cheating seem to be two of the most common reasons for divorce these days.

Dunno why so many people have money issues with their significant others.  Assuming you're not living paycheck to paycheck, they can easily be avoided by creating and following a budget.  In addition to the actual financial benefits following a budget provides, it sets clear expectations and boundaries for both you and your spouse, removing the potential to feel like you need to keep secrets.

1) Use one of the myriad online retirement planning calculators and pick an intelligent amount for monthly retirement contributions that will put you where you want to be when you hit retirement age.

2) Total net monthly income - monthly necessities (housing, food, transportation, utilities, etc.) - monthly retirement planning - monthly "rainy day" fund contribution (up to an intelligent limit (e.g. 4 months worth of net income)) = fun money. 

3) Divide divide the fun money in half.  You get 1/2, your significant other gets 1/2.  Both are free to spend it however they want within reason (the wife didn't go for my hookers and blow suggestion).

No fuss, no muss.

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2017 at 10:30pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #37 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 4:52am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 21st, 2017 at 5:19pm:
To each their own, but keeping financial expenditures secret from your significant other

Not telling isn't keeping a secret, it's just not telling Tongue  Thanks for the unneeded, slightly pedantic advice though.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #38 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 21st, 2017 at 4:13pm:
It's all about the $$ you give to SSG while they continue doing you with no lube or a courtesy reach-around.

That may be your definition, but it doesn't match the accepted definition.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whale

A whale is just someone who spends a lot of money on a game. 

The stuff about getting done with out lube or reach arounds is all your own personal acedote.  No judgements, though if that is how you roll.  To each his own.   

EDIT:  If you think spending $130 on a game means you are a whale then that's cute.  To be a gaming whale, you need to add a zero.  There are people who drop $500 on cosmetics alone.  Or thousands of dollars on mobile games.  You think Turbine isn't making a mint on that little Game of War knock off they have - Game of Thrones:Conquest?  There is a reason they went into mobile gaming.  Opening a new kingdom means probably 6 figures in income in the first week.

Lol @ $130 or $80 = whale.   

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:35am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #39 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:33am
Print Post  
So... they still havent posted the deals yet?

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 9:30am:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whale

A whale is just someone who spends a lot of money on a game.

In the context of DDO, I'll take that definition one step further: A whale is someone who values their time more than money.  I've spent plenty of money on DDO mostly for VIP, hearts and XP pots.  Hell, I've spent $700 just on VIP over 5 years. I've easily spent four figures on hearts and XP pots over that same timeframe.  Breaking it down by month, even if I spent $50/month on DDO for five years it's not a big deal.  Conservatively, I've probably spent 40/hours a month on average playing the game. That's about the same I'd spend playing any non-MMO game before exhausting it's content.  $50/month is pretty damned reasonable from a budget/expense planning perspective.

Ironically, I haven't bought Ravenloft yet because there's no incentive for an early purchase.  SSG dropped the ball there IMO.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:32am by Carpone »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #41 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:31am:
In the context of DDO, I'll take that definition one step further: A whale is someone who values their time more than money.  I've spent plenty of money on DDO mostly for VIP, hearts and XP pots.  Hell, I've spent $700 just on VIP over 5 years. I've easily spent four figures on hearts and XP pots over that same timeframe.  Breaking it down by month, even if I spent $50/month on DDO for five years it's not a big deal.  Conservatively, I've probably spent 40/hours a month on average playing the game. That's about the same I'd spend playing any non-MMO game before exhausting it's content.  $50/month is pretty damned reasonable from a budget/expense planning perspective.

So by that breakdown do you consider yourself a "whale"? I spend(or spent) about the same, and wasn't sure if I qualified for whale status.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #42 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Here are the deals:

Holiday Sales!
Black Friday through Cyber Monday Sales!
75% off Warlock
50% off Character Slots
35% off Epic Hearts of Wood
Double Bonus Points! Now through November 27th.
Limited Release: +3 Tomes of Fate! Now through November 30th!
Limited Release: Heroic and Epic Otto's Boxes! Now through November 27th.
Limited Release: +20 Hearts of Wood, now through November 27th! Also, get a free +5 Heart of Wood with your purchase.
One For You, One For Your Alt!
Two for One select Bags
Two for One Tomes of Fate
Two for One Jeweler's Toolkits
Now through November 30th!

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #43 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, what utter shit  Cheesy

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Well at least they've admitted that it's the "warlock or die" era of DDO.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #45 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Those aren't *terrible* as far as sales go. Its enough to make me log in and spend a few SSG points, assuming I didn't already buy the +3 tome of fate and it stacks with whatever tome I did buy.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
It makes sense to sell xp. They created the TR grind, then you sell the stuff to avoid it.
"Make the game so boring that people will pay to not play it" is a perfectly viable sales strategy.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #47 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 11:20am:
Here are the deals:

Holiday Sales!
Black Friday through Cyber Monday Sales!
75% off Warlock
50% off Character Slots
35% off Epic Hearts of Wood
Double Bonus Points! Now through November 27th.
Limited Release: +3 Tomes of Fate! Now through November 30th!
Limited Release: Heroic and Epic Otto's Boxes! Now through November 27th.
Limited Release: +20 Hearts of Wood, now through November 27th! Also, get a free +5 Heart of Wood with your purchase.
One For You, One For Your Alt!
Two for One select Bags
Two for One Tomes of Fate
Two for One Jeweler's Toolkits
Now through November 30th!

No Gnasty Gnarly Gnomes in here.

The only races I don't own.

I canz has a sad.  Sad

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #48 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
nothing interesting for me either.
and this 2 for 1 bag deal is kind of fishy. those bags are btc, if i would take that offer i'd like to spread around those bags .....

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Snu Snu wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:27pm:
nothing interesting for me either.
and this 2 for 1 bag deal is kind of fishy. those bags are btc, if i would take that offer i'd like to spread around those bags .....

So there are several warnings on the mobos about not buying the bags (yet?) because they are btc.
Maybe they will change that.

Apprently there is something fucked up if you try to buy multiple ottos boxes at once too.

They can call themselves SSG.....but the still have all the competance of Turdbine!
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:44pm by somenewnoob »  

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint