Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Let me know if Ravenloft is worth it (Read 12870 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Let me know if Ravenloft is worth it
Reply #50 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 10:20am:
Old Baba's Hut raid: Going through the puzzles once is ok.  Going through twice is lazy design reuse and a punch in the balls.

Love the design with the house turning into a spider and having it try to curb stomp you.

I agree.  Ran the raid last night.  Really enjoyed it overalll.  But didn't need the second run through the puzzles.  Would have been better as:

1)  Initial Beat down outside.

2)  Puzzle Run

3)  Gem Room

4)  Back outside for final conflict.

That extra - Puzzle Run + Gem Room was unnecessary and not fun.  It just makes the quest take an extra 10 min or so that it doesn't need.  If the Puzzle Run part was different, then fine.  But a Groundhog day of the same thing is just a time sink. 

But that's really my only opposition to the raid.  Otherwise, it was a solid raid.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #51 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 10:20am:
Old Baba's Hut raid: Going through the puzzles once is ok.  Going through twice is lazy design reuse and a punch in the balls.

Sooo, you're telling us you didn't like 6 mirror puzzle rooms in ToDW?   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 11:15am:
Sooo, you're telling us you didn't like 6 mirror puzzle rooms in ToDW?   Grin Grin Grin

I don't mind doing each of the puzzles once in Old Baba's Hut.  Having locked tiles and a monster that can spin tiles is innovative, fun and a good reuse of existing design assets.  I also like the fact that the raid is split in two, and requires teamwork.  But it's a fucking nightmare in a PUG, especially with idiots that kill the giant scarecrows or try to single target kill the little scarecrows.  I don't have hope that will change over time.  Look at Shroud, and how that still fails b/c people don't/won't coordinate killing mobs simultaneously, or refuse to understand puzzle mechanics.

IP Logged

Zehnpai
Waterworks Kobold

(◕‿◕✿)

Reply #53 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
That was pretty much my reaction too.

First part: "haha this is fun!"

Second part: "Oh this is kinda neat."

Third part: "haha stompy stompy stompy!"

Fourth part: "...Seriously?"

If they had just switched out what kind of puzzles you do it wouldn't have been so bad.  Make left a jumping puzzle the second time and right side red light/green light re-mix.

But it's the -exactly- same pattern and -exact- same stuff just now with wisps!  Everybodies -favorite- mob type in the game!

Why does SSG do this to themselves?  "Let's take a really fun raid and add a section that sucks rancid buttholes."

It's like the antithesis of what makes RL great.  With the exception of the devils in Mad Tea Party (why?) the entire expac is pretty fun.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #54 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I’ve got to get thru some other content before I tackle the 2nd and 3rd heroic arcs, but here are my thoughts so far.

General purchase:
- If the Racial AP tomes become available in the store, then buy the $40 package.  Without them, the $130 pack doesn't have enough stuff to justify the cost.

Overall Quests:
- The quest atmosphere is. straight. up. amazing!  While you can see small things from other places in DDO, the whole area feels unique.
- While I love the non-linear quest designs, I hate that many of the completion objectives are so damn obscure.
   For example:
   Is the painting fight in “Invitation to Dinner” meant to be the boss fight for the quest, or just that room?  Is the chest at the bottom of the north stairs the end chest or not?

Into the Mists:
- Pros: Short.
- Cons: Kinda wish there was more warning that “Scarecrow Assault” is needed to get the named item chest to drop.

Death House:
- Pros: Looks like we finally have a quest where Inflict Mass Damage is a useful spell.  (Scarecrows and animated objects tend to get massed together.)  The zombie arms are hilarious.
- Cons: Zombie arms shouldn't spawn if the undead is insta killed.  Nor should they run around at normal mob speed.

Fresh Baked Dreams:
- Pros:  Unique boss fight in the hut.
- Cons:  This may be a Reaper difficulty issue, but having half the map aggro on you when you kill one thing that's out of visual range is fucking annoying.  Also, what the fuck is with the persistent earth elementals at the end?

An Invitation to Dinner
- Pros: Mixes the best parts of Haunted Halls and the Pit.
- Cons: Mixes the worst parts of Haunted Halls and the Pit.  Suffers from problems surrounding vague objectives.

Sarcasm aside, the DDO map is unable to handle multi level maps.  If the maps allowed me to have a better sense of location, I would have enjoyed this quest more.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #55 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 10:38am:
super fucking lazy. disgusting even. just slap some shit together because ssg is fully incapable of designing a fun raid. They just cannot. never will. they should just give up and die.

and to PROVE that they never ran the fucking raid more than once or twice; they missed the bug that makes it incompletable. two different ones. 2. separate. bugs. that occur every other time. not like this shit is some rare fucking bug where you have to hop on one foot, hit baba with a rarely used arcane spell, while having an obscure old heroic item equipped.

another thing that triggered me was their liberal use of a widely known bugged spell in cyclonic blast. they know it's bugged. we know it's bugged. they know that we know that they know that it's bugged. yet they chose to use it. willingly and with absolute awareness of it being bugged. they didnt even bother fixing the bugged spell. no, no, no. they are now using it as a form of challenge. because theyre fucking stupid, lazy, desperate, sad, pathetic, and dishonest little children in middle aged bodies.

theyre pieces of shit. washed up has-beens without any enjoyment of the product theyre making. one that they have no passion for playing. derive no enjoyment of playing. and loath providing any semblance of service. they should just quit their jobs and start selling crack if theyre gonna be like this. at least they can own that shit and not pretend to give a fuck.

Was awesome we got to do the puzzles THREE times to complete because of ddoor bug.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #56 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 2:41am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 1:47pm:
Sarcasm aside, the DDO map is unable to handle multi level maps.  If the maps allowed me to have a better sense of location, I would have enjoyed this quest more.

Google is your friend ... If you don't own the PnP book.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

SSG .. making shit a reality.

Reply #57 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 6:03am
Print Post  
That piece of shit C cordovan just gave me an infraction for calling them (SSG) noobcakes for the 3 hotfixes and 1 patch Ravenflop has had since becoming live.

Wannabe cordovan.  I want my Movember donation back from that turd.

How do I give away shop points?  Time I gave this poor excuse for a game away.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2018 at 6:04am by AAH »  

Gunga wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:31am:
This game doesn’t deserve great players, honestly.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #58 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
And 90% of the quests have the old Blitz bug, where you zone through a door and you lose all of your Blitz. It is infuriating to me, especially for content that I paid $130 to play.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #59 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I paid $40 and feel I got my money's worth.   Not sure how I'd feel at $130, but after Shadowfail I never pay for anything upfront anymore.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #60 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I should add that I thoroughly enjoy the content. The artwork is top notch, the story is decent,  good variety of mob types while still making sense.  Overall cool feel and good experience. 

But if you know about a bug for YEARS, and have removed it from many situations in the past, how can you release a new paid expansion with bugs like that all over the damn place?  Because Turbine.  Or SSG, same shit. 

I just TRed into a different build that doesn't use Blitz.  We'll see how it goes when I get back up to that level range in a month...

IP Logged

Count Dante
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 22nd, 2017 at 2:41am:

https://i0.wp.com/shaneplays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/dd-curse-of-strahd-f...

Man that takes me back.

Grand wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 12:08am:
I'm a big believer in the old adage saw that you should never make a bet you can't afford to lose!

Welcher.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #62 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 22nd, 2017 at 2:41am:

https://i0.wp.com/shaneplays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/dd-curse-of-strahd-f...

Still too hard.. fuck that shit..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint