Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Just Rolled a Wood Elf and... (Read 5110 times)
Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Just Rolled a Wood Elf and...
Oct 5th, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
It's very, very good.

They get the ENTIRE racial damage lines of both Valenar and Aerenal Elves together.

So: Long Swords, Rapiers, Scimitars, Short Bows, Long Bows, and +2 for Falchions. Amazing.

Most of the Racial Tree is similar, but there are some nice perks in there. Wild Step, Forest Origins and Forest's Versatility. See the link.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Wood_Elf

They use the Aasimar body paper dolls and animations.

They have some awesome new hair styles (40 or so for the females). White is not an option for hair colour, as a point of interest.

And they have entirely new faces, which are everything the Half-Elf race should have been.

Pretty pleased with this overall, although I wish they'd have saved this for a Helf revamp and kept the Wood Elves for an Iconic Race or something.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Just Rolled a Wood Elf and...
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Nice, glad to see they don't dissapoint.

Sounds like a good base for a pure ranger, yeah?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:01pm:
Nice, glad to see they don't dissapoint.

Sounds like a good base for a pure ranger, yeah?

Yeah, it was clearly designed with Ranger as the focus.

That said, because of the stat spread with no CON penalty, and the ability to take STR or DEX in the racial tree, it opens up all the options for OTHER classes that f2p Elf was sub par for...

So: Barb, Druid, Fighter, or even Pally.

Other interesting options would be Monk, or various Cleric/FvS builds, and Sorc, because all the Arcanum feats, Arcane Alacrity and Enchantment focus are still in place.

Basically, they sold us "Optimized Elf".

And frankly, I'm not sure it isn't better than Half-Orc, considering that Horc is also p2p and isn't as well balanced (overall Horc is a net -2 stat points. Wood Elf is net 0 with very similar benefits since Wood Elf includes Scimitars and Falchions).

I'm OK with all of that (well, maybe not the Horc gimpage, but whatever). I did all my learning on the f2p races, and it's fine if new(er) players do too. Once they know what they're after, then they can start buying the optimized p2p options.

Or just skip the grind and just go straight to Aasimar and Dragonborn Grin

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
lol!

Yeah, elf does seem to be the "designated ranger class"

The buff to Falchions might open some really interesting options. Those seem to be a favorite for thf.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:24pm:
lol!

Yeah, elf does seem to be the "designated ranger class"

The buff to Falchions might open some really interesting options. Those seem to be a favorite for thf.

Falchion or GTFO.  Cheesy

DDO favours Melee weapons in a Crit Threat > Crit Multiplier > Base Damage order of operations.

It's why SoS is still the preferred THF weapon after all this time (and eSoS for those lucky enough to have one is still one of the top contenders for DPS even in Epic content).

So a damage buff to a Falchion with it's 18-20 Crit Threat is a big deal. Same with Scimitars and Rapiers.

But really, they gave me a physically attractive race for my preferred class, more Mabar cosmetics, and cloaks to boot (some of which are super cool looking), so I'm calling u40 a win. Even if nothing else was included in this update.

And +1 Art Team Rep all around (and for that Silver Dragon model in the raid too).

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
It is great when they can actually make the races something you can stand to look at. Fuckin PDKs man. I know the shadarkai are probably supposed to be ugly, but the PDKs are like an ass had sex with a butt.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I think it's neat how we get another race without having an additional +3 racial past lives to grind out.

Maybe I'll check it out someday, but for now I'm still on the "human master race" train... extra feat is so damn useful

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
When will people learn that all races are equally inferior to robots?

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:36pm:
Falchion or GTFO.  Cheesy

DDO favours Melee weapons in a Crit Threat > Crit Multiplier > Base Damage order of operations.

Yes. That's why I'm considering a Wood Elf Frenzied Berserker (or maybe Ravager) of some sort. Will use Tail of the Scorpion obviously.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2018 at 5:52pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 5:50pm:
Yes. That's why I'm considering a Wood Elf Frenzied Berserker (or maybe Ravager) of some sort. Will use Tail of the Scorpion obviously.

Whats the drop rate like on that thing? Is it "farm for a couple runs and pick one up" or closer to esos status?

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 5:59pm:
Whats the drop rate like on that thing? Is it "farm for a couple runs and pick one up" or closer to esos status?

It might take a few runs but definitely not ESOS-like. It's not a raid item.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Cool! Am getting sick of farming for things with painfully low drop rates.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
“Faith of the Forest” could make a Wood Elf Favored Soul an interesting option as well.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
So: Barb, Druid, Fighter, or even Pally.

And frankly, I'm not sure it isn't better than Half-Orc, considering that Horc is also p2p and isn't as well balanced (overall Horc is a net -2 stat points. Wood Elf is net 0 with very similar benefits since Wood Elf includes Scimitars and Falchions).

Or just skip the grind and just go straight to Aasimar and Dragonborn Grin

I'm not so sure. Perhaps for normal barbarian they are tied. For druids I still feel like horc has the advantage due to the rage clickie working with bear spellcasting. That's 115MP with prowess. Where as the alternative as welf is to use your racial proficiency and use Soulrazor (or whatever the longsword version is called) and Dethek Runestone. I still think the extra 40MP trumps the 20 situational MP from the sword.

Also what is dragonboring good for? I guess if you need to bump your evo DCs., but other than that? Meh. I could see them as a druid or sorc since they can bypass elemental resists now and would have viable DCs for the breath. But still man dragonboring is shite. Sad

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 7:50am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 6:46pm:
“Faith of the Forest” could make a Wood Elf Favored Soul an interesting option as well.

You'd still have to multiclass too much. There's just not enough oomph in warsoul to make up for the suck, even with a falchion.

IP Logged

TornadoJoe
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
it ain't a dwarf so fuck it

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #16 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Does anyone know if Wild Step triggers Prowess? Seems like it would be useful for non-LD characters. LD characters would have to pick between 100% boost uptime with 50% prowess uptime and 66% boost uptime with 66% prowess uptime.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Dickbutt wrote on Oct 6th, 2018 at 9:46am:
Does anyone know if Wild Step triggers Prowess? Seems like it would be useful for non-LD characters. LD characters would have to pick between 100% boost uptime with 50% prowess uptime and 66% boost uptime with 66% prowess uptime.

If it isn't an action boost, it won't.

Only action boosts that share timers with other action boosts triggers Prowess these days.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Does anyone have confirmation on whether or not Faith of the Forest allows you to use The Blood is the Life or Aureon's Instruction with the different weapons equipped?

Edit: It doesn't work with either of these. Works for Onatar's Forge since it doesn't require a weapon.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:15pm by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
And surprise surprise, wood elves don't have falchion proficiency for some reason. Could of swore I had it while messing around on Lamannia.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:20pm by Edrein »  

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
And surprise surprise, wood elves don't have falchion proficiency for some reason. Could of swore I had it while messing around on Lamannia.

Who said they get Proficiency?

I see a multi-selector for them to count as Deity Favored Weapons but I don't see any enhancement in their tree that grants Falchion "Proficiency."

There's also a racial enhancement in that tree that grants DEX to damage for Longswords, Rapiers, Scimitars, Shortbows, Longbows, and Falchions but no DEX To Hit which is problematic for a Falchion user because I am unaware of anything else that would be equivalent to Weapon Finesse but for Falchions.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:03pm by Technomage »  

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:55pm:
Who said they get Proficiency?

I see a multi-selector for them to count as Deity Favored Weapons but I don't see any enhancement in their tree that grants Falchion "Proficiency."

There's also a racial enhancement in that tree that grants DEX to damage for Longswords, Rapiers, Scimitars, Shortbows, Longbows, and Falchions but no DEX To Hit which is problematic for a Falchion user because I am unaware of anything else that would be equivalent to Weapon Finesse but for Falchions.

I guess I dreamt it. You get profiency for Longswords, Rapiers, and Shortbows it seems. No scimitars or falchions. Which is a bit of a bummer for the sake of making use out of Faith of the Forest.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Oct 6th, 2018 at 7:49am:
I'm not so sure. Perhaps for normal barbarian they are tied. For druids I still feel like horc has the advantage due to the rage clickie working with bear spellcasting. That's 115MP with prowess. Where as the alternative as welf is to use your racial proficiency and use Soulrazor (or whatever the longsword version is called) and Dethek Runestone. I still think the extra 40MP trumps the 20 situational MP from the sword.

Also what is dragonboring good for? I guess if you need to bump your evo DCs., but other than that? Meh. I could see them as a druid or sorc since they can bypass elemental resists now and would have viable DCs for the breath. But still man dragonboring is shite. Sad

All valid arguments. The opinions above were "First impression, top of my head" observations when I posted them. I completely forgot about Rage-casting bears.  Grin

Dragonborn and Aasimar have the advantage of being +2 net build points, so that IMHO, gives them an advantage. I personally think Aasimar is dull AF, but lots of people love them so whatever. Easy access to Racial Hamp is also a bonus.

Horc has the advantage of being completely weapon agnostic, which welf does not. That being said, I am one of those people who prefers more build points to focused stat allocation so YMMV.

I'm also a huge fan of my gimpy flavour builds, so I'll leave it up to the build maetros to duke it out over how to get 1 more MP/RP/USP/DC than the next guy in another thread.

Edrein wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:17pm:
I guess I dreamt it. You get profiency for Longswords, Rapiers, and Shortbows it seems. No scimitars or falchions. Which is a bit of a bummer for the sake of making use out of Faith of the Forest.

All "regular" elves get proficiency with Rapiers, Longswords, and Bows (long and Short).

Drow get Rapier, Shortsword, and Shurikens.

No Elves get proficiency with Scimitars or Falchions, unless their class specifically grants those proficiencies.

So yeah, a Falchion swinging FvS is kind of a No-Go, but Scimitars, Rapiers and Longswords are possible (although I doubt anyone is using a Longsword, ever).

I can't imagine why anyone would roll a Warsoul, TBH, and I'm a melee enthusiast. Cleric with War Domain might work, if you were so inclined. Druid makes some sense (it was clearly in mind when they designed the racial tree) because it gets scimitar class proficiency.

But generally, when I'm talking about any spellcasting class (except Druid) I am speaking to it as a caster. In my experience, no spell casting class fares better as a melee build than they do as a pure caster build (Druid excepted, even then it's debatable) so weapon proficiency is kind of moot.

Again, other people better at min-max'ing will need to fight out the details over in the Builds forum for any kind of consensus on "best use of Welf trees".  Wink

Edited:
Where the fuck does that new Soulrazor longsword even drop?

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:38am:
Edited:
Where the fuck does that new Soulrazor longsword even drop?

I agree with you for the most part; however my dumb ass was lured in by the thoughts of warsoul using Scorpion Sting or whatever it's called.

The crits are frequent and are surprisingly hard hitting for using the level 10 ravenloft falchion at level 20. My only gripe is not having the proficiency feat as it's getting obnoxious how many times I miss despite having +70 to hit lol.

Logically speaking; Faith of the Forest "should" give you proficiency, since it is adding deity favored weapons. Although I'm sure that was a bit tough for the superstars to code.

And finally, the longsword doesn't drop. You need to get five of the shards from the new raid; a sentient-less Blackrazor, and a Blackrazor gem with 0 sentient exp and talk to the new NPC near the WPM quest. They'll trade in your Blackrazor for Soulrazor or the upgraded Blackrazor. Same process for the other two weapons, requiring their specific gem as well.

IP Logged

Darcat
DQ Assaulter

BEEFCAKE!!

Reply #24 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:37am
Print Post  
i made 2 and noticed they dont racially have scimmmy
proficiency. but my one a druid- so thats cool but-
makin whole tree limb based on scims seems they shud
indeed have it racially... just my 2cp -
sry if i missed something earlier-