Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Are Monkchers still a "thing"? (Read 8323 times)
Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Are Monkchers still a "thing"?
Jan 28th, 2019 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Pretty much all ranged monks I see nowadays are shuriken thrower monks.

Are there any good bow-using monk builds out there? And by "good," I mean there's a consensus "best build."

What is it and can you link it, please?

My monk just got a Chaosbow and I was thinking about taking it for a spin.

(Yes, I know the Chaosbow will give my monk a negative level.)

Thanks.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Are Monkchers still a "thing"?
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Not really. Not for DPS. Shuriken are just better.

A bow is probably best used for imbues. Get an AA stance, jack up the DC and banish/smite/phantasmal/paralyze everything.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
You could still swap to bows for manyshot adrenaline, but your toon will be less effective than if you would just focus on your thrower.

Fury Regen rate on throwers pulls them ahead.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
While this is true*, there are a few angles that would make this more than just an inferior DPS alternative to Shuri's.

For one thing, insta death from PK arrows would add A LOT of DPS to this build if you could calculate it as such. There is no Shuri equivalent to just making a mob disappear at any health 5% of the time. Also, from a burst perspective Slayer Arrows is a lot of additional DPS on an adrenaline shot.

Finally the option to go pure Wisdom with the Wisdom KTA in the falconer tree is pretty nice combined with the DCs on the imbues.

So you can make a pretty interesting monkcher I think with a pure Elf Monk using racial AA and falconer tree. This is not my idea but I haven't found any good posted builds on it yet, would love to see what people have come up with

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 28th, 2019 at 8:18pm:
So you can make a pretty interesting monkcher I think with a pure Elf Monk using racial AA and falconer tree. This is not my idea but I haven't found any good posted builds on it yet, would love to see what people have come up with

This is kinda what I had in mind.

Monk14/Ranger6

Not willing to go Elf. Want to go Aasimar.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 28th, 2019 at 10:29pm:
This is kinda what I had in mind.

Monk14/Ranger6

Not willing to go Elf. Want to go Aasimar.

6 ranger is nice for Sniper Shot and T5 DWS, but at that point you're gaining a little DPS but losing some utility in the imbues.

Why would want to be Aasimar on a bow build?

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 12:28am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 28th, 2019 at 10:51pm:
Why would want to be Aasimar on a bow build?

Well, my Monk's already an Aasimar so it will save me from having to do a TR and Aasimar is a Wisdom race.

I could just stay pure monk though with a high wisdom (96) and try to DPS using Wisdom as my to-hit and damage stat using the Falconry tree.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2019 at 12:31am by Technomage »  

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 10:42am
Print Post  
As long as your DCs suffice, AA's can clear most trash on r1 just like r10. I'm running a 11wiz/8monk/1wlk with above 100 effective DC, it isn't very gear / PL heavy, and it does land PKs in lategame r10s.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Linker wrote on Jan 29th, 2019 at 10:42am:
As long as your DCs suffice, AA's can clear most trash on r1 just like r10. I'm running a 11wiz/8monk/1wlk with above 100 effective DC, it isn't very gear / PL heavy, and it does land PKs in lategame r10s.

Yeah I was sort of assuming this could be this case. And if built right the burst DPS should be close to a shuri since you'd only use on bosses or immune to PK mobs.

Gonna try this one out

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 11:06am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jan 28th, 2019 at 8:18pm:
[Hurrr hurrr hurr]
Finally the option to go pure Wisdom with the Wisdom KTA in the falconer tree is pretty nice combined with the DCs on the imbues.

So you can make a pretty interesting monkcher I think with a pure Elf Monk using racial AA and falconer tree.

You dont go pure monk, you get DC and SP from other classes. Any monk lvl past 12 doesnt give anything except 5 DS in 10k stars.

Vampire form, bard enchant, warlock / fvs save reduce, kensei splash - look there.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Also Cleric.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
My opinion is that you have to invest too much into falconry to get the wisdom to damage. 

AP breakdown.  You will need 24 to get paralyze along with banish and smite imbues (both add to Enchantment DC) and 31 min to get Shadow arrows.

You need to invest 41 into Deepwood if you want to take core 6 (+3 SA dice, +4 dex, always in SA range AND +20 RP and +20 positive spell power) seems like a ton of damage to pass up on for maxing wisdom on a build that already can do just fine paralyze/fear with a 62-64 wisdom and proper gear and feat selections to pump Enchant DC.

So, 31+41 =72.  Leaves 8 for falconry which is not enough as you need a minimum of 12 to get wisdom attack and damage.

You are better served with 8 points into harper for KtA.

The only way I see it is if you only go as far as core 3 in DWS (and spend no more than 27 points total in the tree) and 41 into AA for 20% DS cap and 12 into Falconry. 

While you get Wisdom to hit and damage, you are losing a ton of damage in the form of SA damage.  And, you would have to forego the T5 DWS strikes like lightning and heavy draw, etc...  just not worth it imho.

Longbows can deal good damage despite what I rant on about on the forums.  With a standing 73.94% doubleshot and 400 RP when Blitzing, Manyshot and other buffs maxed (135 base +70 blitz +120 Manyshot +75 precise shot stack = 400) which includes new filigrees and such on Chaosbow, you can deal respectable damage while being able to paralyze and (with deepwood abilities) render enemies vulnerable to SA.  Blitz is easy to maintain.  Manyshot bonus require you to use a Tensor's scroll before you hit it.  Precise shot stack is usually what varies as standing still long enough to let it build up is usually only done on raid bosses.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2019 at 11:13am by Kluege »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Good points Klu

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Kluege wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 11:07am:
My opinion is that you have to invest too much into falconry to get the wisdom to damage. 

AP breakdown.  You will need 24 to get paralyze along with banish and smite imbues (both add to Enchantment DC) and 31 min to get Shadow arrows.

You need to invest 41 into Deepwood if you want to take core 6 (+3 SA dice, +4 dex, always in SA range AND +20 RP and +20 positive spell power) seems like a ton of damage to pass up on for maxing wisdom on a build that already can do just fine paralyze/fear with a 62-64 wisdom and proper gear and feat selections to pump Enchant DC.

So, 31+41 =72.  Leaves 8 for falconry which is not enough as you need a minimum of 12 to get wisdom attack and damage.

You are better served with 8 points into harper for KtA.

The only way I see it is if you only go as far as core 3 in DWS (and spend no more than 27 points total in the tree) and 41 into AA for 20% DS cap and 12 into Falconry. 

While you get Wisdom to hit and damage, you are losing a ton of damage in the form of SA damage.  And, you would have to forego the T5 DWS strikes like lightning and heavy draw, etc...  just not worth it imho.

Longbows can deal good damage despite what I rant on about on the forums.  With a standing 73.94% doubleshot and 400 RP when Blitzing, Manyshot and other buffs maxed (135 base +70 blitz +120 Manyshot +75 precise shot stack = 400) which includes new filigrees and such on Chaosbow, you can deal respectable damage while being able to paralyze and (with deepwood abilities) render enemies vulnerable to SA.  Blitz is easy to maintain.  Manyshot bonus require you to use a Tensor's scroll before you hit it.  Precise shot stack is usually what varies as standing still long enough to let it build up is usually only done on raid bosses.

*Monkchers*
*DWS cap*
No, not good points. We're talking about elven AA. pure ranger is a whole other story.

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
You end up with 20~ AP in elven, 41 in AA. less SA dice than DWS, but you can splash kensei for +1 crit and your FoTW burst ends up way higher.

That's not even the issue; look, not only you're putting the wholesome monk benefits aside, edit: including 10k stars, you're also losing the niche of this build. You have trash clearing with PK, and then boss kiting with burst. If you want a sustainable DPS build go shuri.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2019 at 5:28pm by Linker »  

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Linker wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 5:25pm:
You end up with 20~ AP in elven, 41 in AA. less SA dice than DWS, but you can splash kensei for +1 crit and your FoTW burst ends up way higher.

That's not even the issue; look, not only you're putting the wholesome monk benefits aside, edit: including 10k stars, you're also losing the niche of this build. You have trash clearing with PK, and then boss kiting with burst. If you want a sustainable DPS build go shuri.

I just don't see what the point is.  You get +1 to crit range in DWS cores which is the same as investing into Kensai.  Is the point is to just get wisdom to hit and damage to boost paralyze and fear arrows?  I can tell you that I have no issues paralyzing and/or fearing mobs with a 64 wisdom; and still running as a dex build.  You just need to build your enchantment focus into it. You gain more benefit with +1 of enchantment focus boosting than +1 point of wisdom.  With a dex build you have higher AC and better reflex saves.  Also, with going both AA and DWS, you will ultimately have a higher doubleshot score (+20 from each tree) or ranged power (+20 RP from core 6 DWS).  DWS also offer a lot of sneak attack damage along with a multitude of abilities that are available to you to make mobs SA vulnerable... even when running solo.  Use Scion of Ethereal and a max hide skill with that and you have a pretty nice source of extra damage and a bunch of ways to make mobs vulnerable to SA.

Additionally, if you are talking about FoTW Fury shots, you have to rely on a lot of preparation before shooting and hoping the numbers work out.  My pure ranger build does not rely on the FoTW crutch and uses LD and gets an additional +1 crit range as well as blitz (PRR bonus style); and all the other good stuff in LD.

Also not having DWS you lose some great abilities like sniper shot, fort bypass from cores, PRR from Survivalist path, Killer bonus, Leg Shot to slow (works on undead and red named) and all the T5 stuff that is pretty amazing as well.  Lots of damage potential in that tree that you completely eliminate for FoTW fury shot...  which is great when it hits for max damage and you still have charges and not waiting for adrenaline to come off cooldown....

I can agree with a higher wisdom if I were seeing some sort of issue with paralyze/fear hitting, but even in reaper I do not have any noticeable issues.

10K stars is a great boost to doubleshot and it is available 50% more often than manyshot, but manyshot boosts both doubleshot and ranged power.  So say your wisdom is a modest 80 and ranged power is 100 standing.  You get 135 + 5 x monk level (assuming 12 levels = 60) you get +195 or so to doubleshot during 10k stars.  If you are going doubleshot build (AA and DWS) you will get 20% right of the bat to standing doubleshot that you wont have, plus 120 from manyshot AND +120 to your ranged power (which will be 70 higher while blitzing)...  I think you get my point here.  Oh, and killer will also add to doubleshot when it is going, which you wont have either. 

For comparison, my pure ranger has standing 73.95% doubleshot and 135 standing RP.  When fully boosted, RP goes to 400 and doubleshot goes to ~234 give or take a few hundredths of a percent.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2019 at 12:42pm by Kluege »  

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Kluege wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 11:45am:
i have no kluege

there's the easy stuff, like 12 dodge, 8 dodge cap, +~10 saves, ~20% movement speed, ~40 AC, some immunities,

But then here's where you lose
10k stars
abundunt step
~30 wis
10 pure effective DC ( total 25 DC )

I land reaper DC's you dream of
Your measely 80 fort DC does nothing to legendary mobs
And your DPS isn't anywhere near a DPS build

Your jack of all trades attitude will get you nowhere

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #17 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Linker wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 4:00pm:
there's the easy stuff, like 12 dodge, 8 dodge cap, +~10 saves, ~20% movement speed, ~40 AC, some immunities,

But then here's where you lose
10k stars
abundunt step
~30 wis
10 pure effective DC ( total 25 DC )

I land reaper DC's you dream of
Your measely 80 fort DC does nothing to legendary mobs
And your DPS isn't anywhere near a DPS build

Your jack of all trades attitude will get you nowhere

My gameplay says otherwise, but whatever.  And oh yeah, my measly 80 fort DC doesn't matter actually, because I am more concerned with boosting my enchant DC with enemies saving vs Will (not fort dummy).  I also could care less about abundant step.  10k stars activates more, is based on Ki regen, and does not boost ranged power like Manyshot.  So, there is that.  +10 to DC I cannot argue and that is assuming you have a 94 wisdom, which would also mean you probably have less con and int (as I also get damage from KtA), but again, I will stand by my statement saying you don't really need it.  My paralyze and fear hits pretty much no fail and is not noticeable.  Don't ask me, ask anyone on Sarlona who runs with my ranger.  I will take all the DPS I get from DWS to actually kill the things I paralyze instead thx.

I now understand you are a troll and really do not have much of anything so...  have fun, peace...
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2019 at 5:00pm by Kluege »  

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Kluege wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 4:59pm:
[...]
my measly 80 fort DC doesn't matter actually, because I am more concerned with boosting my enchant DC with enemies saving vs Will (not fort dummy)
[...]
10k stars activates more, is based on Ki regen, and does not boost ranged power like Manyshot. 
[...]
I cannot argue
[...]
you are a troll

> Hey guys, Im klue, I came to talk to you about your PK build, so basically you just make it a will based PK and tell the mobs to not make a fort save
>Also 10k stars doesnt add any ranged power like manyshot guys, JSYK.
> You can't possibly sustain 10k stars guys, it requires ki. You can't possibly generate enough ki
> Also if you guys disagree with any of this you guys are trolls

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Pure Monk Monkcher would want at least 14 in Racial, at least 41 in Elf AA, and at least 26 in Falcon.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Kluege
Dragon Raider

Hi

Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Linker wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:08pm:
> Hey guys, Im klue, I came to talk to you about your PK build, so basically you just make it a will based PK and tell the mobs to not make a fort save

Hey guys, my name is troll, I mean Link, I'm going to tell you what I think someone else is talking about and it doesn't matter if someone else is talking about Paralyze DCs, I want to talk about what I want to talk about.  And never mind that PK has 2 saves, fort and something else I cannot remember, let's just talk about the one I want to talk about...

>Linker wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:08pm:
You can't possibly sustain 10k stars guys, it requires ki. You can't possibly generate enough ki

Since you like to add verbiage (that too big a word for you?), I ask you re-read.  I simply say based on Ki, which is something you need in order to use.  Manyshot has no restriction.  I understand it is fairly easy to build that in, but it is something that needs to be available to make it work.

>Linker wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:08pm:
Also if you guys disagree with any of this you guys are trolls

Yes, you are a troll.  I am glad you figured that part out on your own

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2019 at 2:04pm by Kluege »  

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Kluege wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:40pm:
You need to invest 41 into Deepwood if you want to take core 6
[...]
I will [...] actually kill the things I paralyze instead thx.
[...]
let's just talk about the one I want to talk about...
[...]
I simply say based on Ki, which is something you need in order to use.  Manyshot has no restriction.

Your verbigarbage is getting you DWS 6 core on a monkcher thread, and no ranged power boost on 10kstars. Your DPS isn't good enough to burst lategame mobs, and your DCs aren't enough to OHKO either. you paralyze, which is CC but it just doesn't cut it anywhere past low skulls. Manyshots requiring a bow is as much of a restriction as the ki, you pick up a lvl 1 monk ED twist and water stance and you literally regen ki faster than 10k stars depletes.

Even if that wasn't the case, everything you do, a shuri does better.

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 10:37am:
Pure Monk Monkcher would want at least 14 in Racial, at least 41 in Elf AA, and at least 26 in Falcon.

23* in falcon is the minimum if you invest into it. You dont have to though, going pure racial instead of falcon and building dex works, too.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #23 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
So linker and kluege are both the same sock I take it?

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #24 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 4:17pm:
So linker and kluege are both the same sock I take it?

This was my assumption. It's actually just safer to assume everyone is a sock unless you have decent reason to believe otherwise.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2019 at 5:54pm by Head-Meat »  

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint