Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic WTF is with DDO's backend? (Read 1891 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

WTF is with DDO's backend?
Jul 17th, 2020 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
So because I needed some idiocy in my life, I opened up the motherboards. And then, because I hate myself, I read through an entire thread on updating the augment system. The basic gist of it is that the augment system is so complex, it needs to be completely overhauled because:

Quote:
each new augment adds complexity to the system as a whole which has increasingly large bad implications on gameplay

Which begs the question: why the almighty fuck is DDO so complicated under the hood that adding an item to the loot table can somehow cause lag?! Like HOW?! How do you design something so badly that an entry on a table causes lag?!?!

Anyway, from a more technical perspective: I've played around with a fair number of MMO server emulators as well as knowing my way around a game engine and DB table. And from all that, I can tell you that a halfway-intelligently-designed loot system should be incredibly simple on the back end. But no, apparently SSG does all sorts of weird shit with MLs and scaling instead of, ya know, writing an entry into the database that says "The ML 16 Strength Augment gives +8 Strength" or whatever.

This is why they have so many problems. Some idiot decided to complicate EVERY aspect of the game, apparently.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Re: WTF is with DDO's backend?
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
In a nutshell, DDO's backend is not much different than any other prolapsed asshole after a donkey show.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 9:49pm:
In a nutshell, DDO's backend is not much different than any other prolapsed asshole after a donkey show.

I will give you that. Describing DDO as "like a gay donkey show" is definitely original. Apt. But original.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Rincewind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Aka the ppl that created the basic code left without leaving a guideline on what did they do and what does what, then the monkeys arrive and started coding without revisiting the old code and the fuckster of a game we have now was born

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 7:33am
Print Post  
It's like any backend that has had 10 years of different people sticking their fingers in it.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 9:36am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 8:39pm:
So because I needed some idiocy in my life, I opened up the motherboards. And then, because I hate myself, I read through an entire thread on updating the augment system. The basic gist of it is that the augment system is so complex, it needs to be completely overhauled because:

Which begs the question: why the almighty fuck is DDO so complicated under the hood that adding an item to the loot table can somehow cause lag?! Like HOW?! How do you design something so badly that an entry on a table causes lag?!?!

Anyway, from a more technical perspective: I've played around with a fair number of MMO server emulators as well as knowing my way around a game engine and DB table. And from all that, I can tell you that a halfway-intelligently-designed loot system should be incredibly simple on the back end. But no, apparently SSG does all sorts of weird shit with MLs and scaling instead of, ya know, writing an entry into the database that says "The ML 16 Strength Augment gives +8 Strength" or whatever.

This is why they have so many problems. Some idiot decided to complicate EVERY aspect of the game, apparently.

He is not talking about lag. He is talking about additional variables to balancing.

So for example, lets say you want to make mauls good. So you give silvanus clerics a buff to threat range when using mauls since its their favored weapon. Hey, clerics are not strong in melee anyway, so whats the harm in that?

And then a player realises that you can just take 6 levels of silvanus cleric and combine that with druid wolves to get super powerful mauls at a high attack speed, instead of going full cleric which gimps your melee capabilities.

And thats how almost all THF builds for a very long time were just silvanus druid wolves with mauls.

IP Logged

palladin9479
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 9:46am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 9:36am:
He is not talking about lag. He is talking about additional variables to balancing.

So for example, lets say you want to make mauls good. So you give silvanus clerics a buff to threat range when using mauls since its their favored weapon. Hey, clerics are not strong in melee anyway, so whats the harm in that?

And then a player realises that you can just take 6 levels of silvanus cleric and combine that with druid wolves to get super powerful mauls at a high attack speed, instead of going full cleric which gimps your melee capabilities.

And thats how almost all THF builds for a very long time were just silvanus druid wolves with mauls.

Well to be fair that still exists today.  Silvanus wasn't a buff to Clerics, it was deliberate pay-to-win.  Silvanus is only available to people making an iconic in Eveningstar which almost always requires a +1 heart on top of owning the iconic that's being used.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Well yea, the only difference is that people are using bears instead of wolves now.

You dont really need the +1 heart, you can start as PDK fighter and it would still be fine. Barb is definately better of course, but if you dont want to use a heart, thats still a decent option.

The most stupid thing about the silvanus bonuses is that the top level bonus is at level 12, and its only +2 to hit and damage with mauls. You know, common sense would indicate that you put the most powerful bonus at the top, not at level 6. If the +2 to threat range with mauls required 12 levels of silvanus cleric, it might actually be balanced.

IP Logged

palladin9479
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 10:51am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 9:58am:
Well yea, the only difference is that people are using bears instead of wolves now.

You dont really need the +1 heart, you can start as PDK fighter and it would still be fine. Barb is definately better of course, but if you dont want to use a heart, thats still a decent option.

The most stupid thing about the silvanus bonuses is that the top level bonus is at level 12, and its only +2 to hit and damage with mauls. You know, common sense would indicate that you put the most powerful bonus at the top, not at level 6. If the +2 to threat range with mauls required 12 levels of silvanus cleric, it might actually be balanced.

It's because the level 6 ability is given "Free" to all divines and it's the unique one for each of the dieties.  The rest are generic +damage and have since been replaced with those "child / favored of X" feats.  Like I said it's pay to win, they locked power behind a paywall to get people to buy the expansion / iconic.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
palladin9479 wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 10:51am:
It's because the level 6 ability is given "Free" to all divines and it's the unique one for each of the dieties.  The rest are generic +damage and have since been replaced with those "child / favored of X" feats.  Like I said it's pay to win, they locked power behind a paywall to get people to buy the expansion / iconic.

And it worked.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Kistilan
BANNED

Khyber vs Argo - Go!

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 7:33am:
It's like any backend that has had 10 years of different people sticking their fingers in it.

pulls out magnifying glass and begins looking over DDOVault

Interesting.  This is definitely a-hole. Yep....  It looks familiar though...

pulls out a photo of Strake's asshole and begins magnifying....

Wait, what the.... how can this be so similar?

Magnifies DDOVault....  Magnifies Strake's asshole....    Holds the photos up to a light and places them over each other.....

GREAT SCOTT!!!  It's identical! 

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

#backendTheory  #shittyAdmins  #crapBBSoftware #nonPurgingLifestyle  #thereforeEnema #gapingInvites

-K¥§ťì£æñ- of Relics of the Last War
In Musk, we Trust
IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 17th, 2020 at 10:05pm:
I will give you that. Describing DDO as "like a gay donkey show" is definitely original. Apt. But original.

Don't rattle the cage or he will make a poem out of it, you never let a Vogon read you an original poem

For those interested
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/516589-Lynnabel-Lets-be-honest-about-a...

Quote:
We genuinely can not do that until a pass of the base implementation of augments is completed. It is my understanding that each new augment adds complexity to the system as a whole which has increasingly large bad implications on gameplay. As we have said multiple times, we have an augment system pass planned that we will get to eventually (just like we did recently with Random Loot) but until that happens we will not be releasing any new augments.

This was a quote from Cocomajobo. What can I say gents, adding a 1d6 elemental damage adds complexity. If there is anything they could have bragged about of ddo is the absolute idiot proof augment system that a retard toddler could have understood but NO!

It would be enough to delete single elemental resistances (who the fuck ever uses them?) and update the minimum level requirement and the system would be good for another while until they decided to update with new effects and shit but I'm sure even this would require years of navigating the spaghetti labyrinth-like code of ddo.

Fucking rockstars

edit
To be clear, I agree with you noamineo, my point is that updating the level requirements would get rid of that moronic shit of having to wait level 20 to stick a +6 ability stat.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2020 at 2:32pm by Artorias »  

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
What makes me laugh so much about the whole augment implosion thing is how many slots seem to be making their way into the new gear, especially the Minor Artifacts getting 3 slots. Its like they want that customization but are just fucked with how to achieve it since the mechanism that makes sense is for whatever reason at it's core outdated, borked and apparently a lag ridden mess of shit.

The fact the new loot scales with Cannith Crafting is a joke since it tops out at what +15 stats yet at ML29 RL/Sharn do 19/20 now.... It used to be I would wear 1-2 Cannith crafted items at cap but now everything is named and maybe a single slavers or perhaps a LGS item or two. 

The end game gear chess set deal is really getting annoying with how they are restricting things these days but meh what are you going to do...

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
They've got the code so completely fucked in this game, I can only imagine the clusterfuck caused when the level cap increase goes live.

Without unfucking the code, it's like these drooling idiots are trying to build a house on a cliff side that's world famous for its steady landslides.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 6:36pm:
They've got the code so completely fucked in this game, I can only imagine the clusterfuck caused when the level cap increase goes live.

Without unfucking the code, it's like these drooling idiots are trying to build a house on a cliff side that's world famous for its steady landslides.

PREPARETH THE PORCORN!!

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint