Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Melee EK (Read 3850 times)
DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Melee EK
Aug 17th, 2020 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Not the most optimal melee I know, but what would you suggest as THF builds with self healing? Pure? Splash with Cleric for DM?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Melee EK
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I personally find pure works best, using PM for self-healing. Its also nice because you can respec enhancements/EDs and become a DC caster/nuker if you want.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
A little more on this - pure gives you access to capstones. So either EK cap  - D12 spellsword dice, int/cha bonus, etc. Or PM cap Greater Death Aura. Either one is very powerful. I  like more points in Pale-EK better, lots of melee goodies in the PM tree: incoperiality, negative levels, etc. Going pure gives you access to 8th and 9th level spells. Incindiary Cloud is AMAZING, meteor swarm, etc.

What's especially nice is you have the possibility to saw through mooks and then throw some very high spell DPS at champs. I'm still plotting out my build, but my current idea is to run in Draconic Incarnation to use the breath weapons and detonation for huge damage bursts.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 9:24am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 17th, 2020 at 6:54pm:
A little more on this - pure gives you access to capstones. So either EK cap  - D12 spellsword dice, int/cha bonus, etc. Or PM cap Greater Death Aura. Either one is very powerful. I  like more points in Pale-EK better, lots of melee goodies in the PM tree: incoperiality, negative levels, etc. Going pure gives you access to 8th and 9th level spells. Incindiary Cloud is AMAZING, meteor swarm, etc.

What's especially nice is you have the possibility to saw through mooks and then throw some very high spell DPS at champs. I'm still plotting out my build, but my current idea is to run in Draconic Incarnation to use the breath weapons and detonation for huge damage bursts.

Interesting, so it is better to choose a non-melee destine for more DPS? And I guess I wouldn't get dire charge since i wouldn't have high DC for it? What would be the feat selection?
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2020 at 9:24am by DnD »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
So the real heart and soul of the EK is using Harpers Int-to-Hit/Damage. Most of the melee destinies give many bonuses to strength. Its really kind of a dealers-choice scenario, but there is more Int in draconic and like I said - the burst dmg is fuckin rad.

If you have plenty of points for twists, you can twist in melee cleaves and the like from Legendary Dreadnought, but EK cleaves are good enough.

I personally view the heart and soul of the EK as being hybrid melee/caster, having the ability to move seamlessly between the two as the situation calls for it. But hybrid builds sacrifice min/maxing, so take that as you will.

Feat selection is going to depend on whether you're balls-deep into melee or trying for a more hybridized option. For THF you obviously need the full THF line. I don't think Cleave/Great Cleave are worth the feat slots given you also need power attack, and strike-through has left them underpowered. You'll have enough cleaves from EK and twists to keep yourself happy.

You will absolutely 100% want Quicken and Extend - extend being the most important because it brings death aura from a lousy 2 minutes to a more manageable 4. If you're planning to use Knights Transformation you might not want to bother with any other spellcasting feats as you'll mostly be doing buffs.

If you have room for it, get the appropriate weapon focus feats as you'll need them for the LD tree.

Other than that, just shroud up and have fun. If you do find yourself in a bind, remember to spam fog cloud acid fog and sleet storm.

IP Logged

grave
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Probably the OP was asking for an end game build...

For heroic leveling i liked the 7 levels wizzard splash, PM + EK enhancements when i did my heroic completionist lives.

Good THF dps, heals, buffs...
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2020 at 4:48am by grave »  

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 4:52am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 17th, 2020 at 6:40pm:
I personally find pure works best, using PM for self-healing. Its also nice because you can respec enhancements/EDs and become a DC caster/nuker if you want.

Bad, bad, bad, super bad noob build if you ever find one. Unless ofcourse you're talking R4-R6 diff at cap level play.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Tilo is currently playing an EK/PM which is a good enough reason not to play one imo

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Aug 19th, 2020 at 4:52am:
Bad, bad, bad, super bad noob build if you ever find one. Unless ofcourse you're talking R4-R6 diff at cap level play.

I didn't say it was "good", I said it was fun. Key difference Tongue

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 19th, 2020 at 11:44am:
I didn't say it was "good", I said it was fun. Key difference Tongue

Grin

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Aug 19th, 2020 at 4:52am:

What would be an end game EK? All the traditional melee feats + LD/Fury?

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
DnD wrote on Aug 19th, 2020 at 3:26pm:
What would be an end game EK? All the traditional melee feats + LD/Fury?

12wiz/ 5clr/ 3barb (or 3 pal) Horc + Baz + Fury. Str-based duuuuh!

Iconic option: 12wiz/6clr/2barb (2pal) Scourge (or PDK) + Silvanus Tremor + Fury.

38APs EK, 26APs Falcon (+30% helpless, -50% fort bypass bird debuff), 4APs DM, rest into w/e

Animal Domain for HPs.

Turn undeads for CAF.

2+ min tensers, haste, displacement, 2 death auras for x2 LGS debuffs, charisma goggles for DM swap.

figure out the rest.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Better for all-out power, to be sure.

I guess it all depends on what you prioritize: hyper specialization or general utility. DeLarge's build is definitely "better" in the sense that it will create a stronger melee at end-game high-skull reaper, no question.

So really all depends on what you're looking for in terms of play-style/what parts of the game you find the most fun.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2020 at 12:27am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 19th, 2020 at 7:17pm:
Better for all-out power, to be sure.

I guess it all depends on what you prioritize: hyper specialization or general utility. DeLarge's build is definitely "better" in the sense that it will create a stronger melee at end-game high-skull reaper, no question.

So really all depends on what you're looking for in terms of play-style/what parts of the game you find the most fun.

Suffice it to say I've tried almost every iteration of this build,

including the 15pal/5wiz types, 12ftr/7wiz/1clr, 14clr/4wiz/1brb, etc, etc, etc.

While they all look super strong on paper either due to either perfect crit profile, 100% doublestrike or cool effects, they ultimately lose out to the heavy wiz split version.

Time lost on short-term buffs like displacement clickies, tenser scrolls, slow proc'ing single death aura that lasts only a minute (with extend), all lower your performance and actual play style enjoyment.

This is all in terms of R10 grouping btw.

For certain raids like KT (or abandon hope all ye who enter RtSO) it is better to switch into LD for sustained DPS and prevent the dumb dragon from turning like a turkey on a grill.

No amount of Hate-tanking or successful intimidates can prevent KorKaza from turning to party if one of these EKs drop DA BOMB!  Grin

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2020 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Not my favorite splash and a lot of investment but works:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/509363-Reaper-Endgame-THF-EK-Wizard

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Aug 20th, 2020 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Aug 20th, 2020 at 12:27am:

including the 15pal/5wiz types, 12ftr/7wiz/1clr, 14clr/4wiz/1brb, etc, etc, etc.

While they all look super strong on paper either due to either perfect crit profile, 100% doublestrike or cool effects, they ultimately lose out to the heavy wiz split version.

Time lost on short-term buffs like displacement clickies, tenser scrolls, slow proc'ing single death aura that lasts only a minute (with extend), all lower your performance and actual play style enjoyment.

This is all in terms of R10 grouping btw.

For certain raids like KT (or abandon hope all ye who enter RtSO) it is better to switch into LD for sustained DPS and prevent the dumb dragon from turning like a turkey on a grill.

No amount of Hate-tanking or successful intimidates can prevent KorKaza from turning to party if one of these EKs drop DA BOMB!  Grin

Yeah I'm not disputing that its a good build or anything. This is just getting into the meta naval-gazing aspects: do you want to play a wizard that melees or do you just want to play the best melee you can? This is why I enjoy the pure wizard EK; it gets more into the aspects of what I really want vs. what makes the biggest numbers.

IP Logged

phoenix710
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 4:17am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Aug 20th, 2020 at 12:27am:

Whats the build for 14clr/5wiz/1barb? Do you go strength, int or wis?

IP Logged

DnD
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 22nd, 2020 at 8:13am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 20th, 2020 at 11:41am:
Yeah I'm not disputing that its a good build or anything. This is just getting into the meta naval-gazing aspects: do you want to play a wizard that melees or do you just want to play the best melee you can? This is why I enjoy the pure wizard EK; it gets more into the aspects of what I really want vs. what makes the biggest numbers.

Like this build?
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/517291-Lich-with-axe

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2020 at 8:41am
Print Post  
phoenix710 wrote on Aug 21st, 2020 at 4:17am:
Whats the build for 14clr/5wiz/1barb? Do you go strength, int or wis?

Cleric 14 - Destruction domain for Holy Sword, 10% doublestrike, 10% sacred HP.
Wizard 5 - T5 EK cleaves, etc
Barbarian 1 - Crack attack and 10% base run speed.

this build leans heavily into warpriest tree, take favored weapon damage line only you're an Iconic Sivanus with Tremor, best parts to grab - Ameliorating Strike (invest in Heal + devotion as much the build allows), Holy Strike +10% DS, ML12 core for 10% sacred HP. There's other goodies like Magical backlash and Vaccum stacks on Smite Foe (only take if you're using Tremor, don't need it with Baz'Morath).

PROS: With appropriate gear and PLs you can be sitting at max crit profile for either Tremor or Baz, 100% standing doublestrike and top notch DPS. EZ heals for yourself in R1 and lower content. Nice AOE heal with Ameliorating strike for melees in your party.

CONS: Only 1 min (extended) lesser death aura if you care about LGS debuffs, 1 min displacement, etc. Must use Tenser scrolls like candy for best results. Raid gear dependant.

WORST CON EVER: Everyone will see a Cleric icon and expect you to babysit their redbars. Probably the real reason why I ultimately quit it. LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Aug 22nd, 2020 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
DnD wrote on Aug 22nd, 2020 at 8:13am:

da fuck?

Why is that build strength-based?

No, I use the Harpers tree for int-to-hit/damage and go pure int-based. That way you aren't sacrificing as much spellcasting ability and it feels more in-flavor. Again am not insisting its the best, but int-based EK pure wizard is a lot more fun and flavorful, and it can definitely manage reaper solo on lower skulls. Will do fine in group.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 22nd, 2020 at 3:00pm:
No, I use the Harpers tree for int-to-hit/damage and go pure int-based. That way it feels more in-flavor.

Because in-flavor is relevant.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:07pm:

but he dont wanna sacrifice his "spellcasting ability"!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:07pm:

Isn't it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint