Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Nioh 2 (the new standard) (Read 1122 times)
iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Nioh 2 (the new standard)
Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I've logged something like 480+ hours in Nioh 2 since summer.  I'd played Nioh 1 a considerable amount, but really have dug into 2 even harder.

Amazing game in every respect.  From visuals, to RNG, to crafting, to beautiful co-op and summons, to anything else except PVP.  Imagine being able to play with other with no discernable lag, without ladder bugs, without hitching combat, and where crafting amazing gear actually makes sense.  Not to mention graphics that aren't a slight upgrade from Balderdash.

DDO has fallen so very far behind the current generation of games I doubt I'll ever log in again.  It's basically a holding pen for seniors who can't handle modernity.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Nioh 2 (the new standard)
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2021 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Looks more single player with co-op play and such.  More in line with halo or cod than an mmo. 

The visuals look amazing.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2021 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:08pm:
DDO has fallen so very far behind the current generation of games I doubt I'll ever log in again.

...its a 15 year old MMO based on a 24 year old engine. Yes, of course its going to "lag behind" a brand new single-player(with co-op) game. But will Nioh still be around in 15 years, and what will you say about it then?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 28th, 2021 at 8:06am:
Looks more single player with co-op play and such.  More in line with halo or cod than an mmo. 

The visuals look amazing. 

They def are, and I highly recommend.

Co-op play is super fun and actually advances you much faster than soloing.  I solo'ed everything in NG (which basically unlocks your ability to co-op any quest), but have done a lot of random co-op restricted to the ng+ and am probably 1/2 done with it in just two weeks.  My guess is if you solo the entire game, assuming decent skills and that difficultly ramps with each ng (goes from ng1 to ng5), one is probably looking at at about 3k hours to complete everything.  Some of the quests are just beasts to solo close to level and require a decent amount of situational luck.  Purely doing co-op, I think I can probably finish out ng5 in maybe 1k hours.  We'll see.

It's been hard to find a true co-op game like Revenant.  I look for them constantly, but a lot aren't good.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 28th, 2021 at 1:27pm:
...its a 15 year old MMO based on a 24 year old engine. Yes, of course its going to "lag behind" a brand new single-player(with co-op) game. But will Nioh still be around in 15 years, and what will you say about it then?

Irrelevant.  You either keep up with the Jones or move on.  They've failed at updating their engine more than the bare minimum, or even structuring their code to handle scaling or age.  Engine doesn't make the game good.  You can still build a shit car if you drop a super hemi in it.

Conning some idiots to keep playing for 15 years isn't the mark of success.  We can still find a handful of beanie baby collectors.  It's just the proves the success of finding some stupid marks can be done by anyone.

Nioh 2 will end up having vastly more impact on future trends than DDO ever did.  That's a good thing, as it ties a lot of things together, including AI "hirelings", beautifully into effortless play. 

My guess is in 15 years I'll be playing a wholly immersive experience which came out of the excellence that Nioh 2 proves can be executed (as opposed to DDO devs).  I won't need to still be playing Nioh 2, but it will still have a fond place in my heart.  The same way I don't forget a great stripper that danced for me a decade ago, even though there's a new girl dancing for me now.  Wink

The only thing anyone is going remember about DDO is the c-section scar and the crabs they got while playing save-a-ho (Marshall currently has the high score on that minigame).
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:47pm by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:46pm:
Irrelevant.  You either keep up with the Jones or move on.  They've failed at updating their engine more than the bare minimum, or even structuring their code to handle scaling or age.  Engine doesn't make the game good.  You can still build a shit car if you drop a super hemi in it.

Conning some idiots to keep playing for 15 years isn't the mark of success.  We can still find a handful of beanie baby collectors.  It's just the proves the success of finding some stupid marks can be done by anyone.

Nioh 2 will end up having vastly more impact on future trends than DDO ever did.  That's a good thing, as it ties a lot of things together, including AI "hirelings", beautifully into effortless play. 

My guess is in 15 years I'll be playing a wholly immersive experience which came out of the excellence that Nioh 2 proves can be executed (as opposed to DDO devs).  I won't need to still be playing Nioh 2, but it will still have a fond place in my heart.  The same way I don't forget a great stripper that danced for me a decade ago, even though there's a new girl dancing for me now.  Wink

The only thing anyone is going remember about DDO is the c-section scar and the crabs they got while playing save-a-ho (Marshall currently has the high score on that minigame).

It is a sequel bud. The second game of the series not the second coming of christ. It is going to have no more impact than any other sequel has.
Your handle should be smokingyourdream.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Irrelevant.

You're comparing a brand new sequel AAA game to a 15 year old MMO from a small company. I guess while we're comparing completely unrelated things:

Irrelevant.

Pretty well describes this entire thread.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 6:42pm
Print Post  

Hmmm...what happened to Everquest 2? I thought that was supposed to be the be all to end all. But it wasn't.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Jan 3rd, 2022 at 6:42pm:
Hmmm...what happened to Everquest 2? I thought that was supposed to be the be all to end all. But it wasn't.

It was pretty lame and has not aged well. Most long-time players stuck with EQ1 since they were already invested in it and aside from better graphics, 2 didn't really offer a whole lot. Both are also MMOs and if you're an MMO gamer you really don't give a shit about non-MMOs.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 5:59pm
Print Post  

Can I haz yur stuphs?

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint