Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Amazon making a LOTRO mmo? (Read 3215 times)
Shunned
DQ Assaulter

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Amazon making a LOTRO mmo?
May 17th, 2023 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I thought SSG had exclusive rights in perpwalkituity?

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Amazon making a LOTRO mmo?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2023 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
It was cancelled last year?

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2023 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
DDONoob wrote on May 17th, 2023 at 12:39pm:
It was cancelled last year?

The original project was canceled in 2021.

This is a new project, supposedly.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2023 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
There was an amazing open-world project for LOTR back in in the early 2000s. It got shitcanned in favor of LOTRO, which, as we've noticed, fucking sucks.

Given the failings of New World, I have very little faith in Amazon's ability to make a good MMO.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Oracler
Titan Demolisher

Sploits! omnomnom..

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2023 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Looking how bad Neverwinter online is in comparison with DDO - maybe it's better as it is for LOTRO

Besides Amazon is shitty game and tv series producer

Lostark - grind game for Chinks
New world - so hyped at start, ghosttown nowadays

Now imagine LOTRO based on "Rings of sorrow" XD

Here's a drama, There's a drama, and another little drama
Fuzzy drama, Funny drama, drama drama duck

drama drama, cheesecake drama, tablet, brick, potato, drama
drama drama mushroom drama, drama drama duck

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2023 at 5:02am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 17th, 2023 at 4:09pm:
There was an amazing open-world project for LOTR back in in the early 2000s. It got shitcanned in favor of LOTRO, which, as we've noticed, fucking sucks.

Given the failings of New World, I have very little faith in Amazon's ability to make a good MMO.

WTF are you talking about?

New World is AWESOME......

... if you love wrecking your graphics card and vital components....

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2023 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on May 17th, 2023 at 11:26am:
I thought SSG had exclusive rights in perpwalkituity?

Nope...
Middle Earth Enterprise ( now a part of Amazon IIRC since Saul Zaentz finally sold it ) is  a bitch and a half when it comes licensing... they got burned by the ICE ( Iron Crown Enterprise ) License that was all encompassing and required them to lawyer ICE into bankrupcy so that they could get back the rights ( for anything in paper like PnP RPG, computer games and all the derivative products ) in time for the LOTRO movies and and to dish out licences in tiny bits.

Important caveat : Moddle Earth Enterprise ( aka Tolkien Enterprise ) is NOT the Tolkien Family ( aka Tolkien Estate ). As a rule the Tolkien Family rarely sell rights and when they do it's quite limited ( for example they only sold the content of the Silmarillion for the Amazon series ), while Tolkien Enterprise is a commercial IP venture.

The IP for Tolkien work is split the following way :
- Harper Collins for the LoTR & Hobbit books
- Middle Earth Enterprise /Tolkien Enterprise for anything derivated from the LoTR & the Hobbit
- Tolkien Estate for everything else ( from Silmarillion up to The Fall of Gondoling going through Lost Tales, Lays of Beleriand and more )

So if you want to be able to use the whole thing you need to get both Middle Earth Enterprise and the Tolkien Family to agree... which beyond rare as they usually tend to despise each other due to the LoTR Book IV ( the annexes ) that contains summaries of many things detailled in the following books.

TL; DR to the license thingie

The license is valid only so long as the licensor is willing for the licensee to pay for it. There's various clauses in the licence that describes what happens when one or the other wants to break the agreement.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2023 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I often think "Why doesn't someone who wants to make a new MMO just invent a new fantasy setting for it? Its just not that difficult."

And then I see things like New World and Archeage and I get it. The people with money are creatively bankrupt.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Kelltore
Waterworks Kobold

I Hate Drama and Hate
People who Start It

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2023 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 18th, 2023 at 5:22pm:
I often think "Why doesn't someone who wants to make a new MMO just invent a new fantasy setting for it? Its just not that difficult."

And then I see things like New World and Archeage and I get it. The people with money are creatively bankrupt.

Yes, Yes they are lol I can’t find new mmos worth playing, Archage and New World was Absolutely Shit,  Black Desert was shit too, World of Warcraft is going down hill every single expansion but still decent I guess but I haven’t played since Legion, Final Fantasy Online is actually pretty cool but I couldn’t get too much into it. Albion online is super bland, DC Universe is fun to me but gets boring quickly at Max still will play though, Star Wars MMO super boring to me but has some fun stuff. RuneScape is still I guess ok to me but it’s tiring the amount of security issues they have consistently with Account Hijacks 😂

I’m not here for Clout or Drama, Yet am Consistently Called out for it. My personal issue is not with the Vault but with People who think they are the most intelligent on a Forum when in Reality they are just the Loudest and Most Annoying who think it’s Ok to Bully People when they are dumber than a Box of Jugs- Errrm Rocks.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2023 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Kelltore wrote on May 20th, 2023 at 8:45pm:
Yes, Yes they are lol I can’t find new mmos worth playing, Archage and New World was Absolutely Shit,  Black Desert was shit too, World of Warcraft is going down hill every single expansion but still decent I guess but I haven’t played since Legion, Final Fantasy Online is actually pretty cool but I couldn’t get too much into it. Albion online is super bland, DC Universe is fun to me but gets boring quickly at Max still will play though, Star Wars MMO super boring to me but has some fun stuff. RuneScape is still I guess ok to me but it’s tiring the amount of security issues they have consistently with Account Hijacks 😂

Archeage was conceptually quite interesting but suffered extremely badly from griefing. Its also the sort of game you can't really "play" unless you can afford to play it like a part-time job.

IP Logged

Kelltore
Waterworks Kobold

I Hate Drama and Hate
People who Start It

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2023 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 21st, 2023 at 2:14pm:
Archeage was conceptually quite interesting but suffered extremely badly from griefing. Its also the sort of game you can't really "play" unless you can afford to play it like a part-time job.

That’s Exactly my reasoning why I couldn’t get into ArchAge, the amount of High Levels that grief new players astonished me, then it came to a point where I had to play like you said as a second job to do anything and that got extremely boring so quick, I’m fine with games that are Grindy but to me it didn’t seem like you could do anything in Archage worthwhile unless you paid for something in the end. I will give it the credit for a awesome concept but holy moly it was bad when I played in 2016-2018 with the amount I have been working there was no way to keep up when I played but I did love the sheer amount of customization and content to do.

I’m not here for Clout or Drama, Yet am Consistently Called out for it. My personal issue is not with the Vault but with People who think they are the most intelligent on a Forum when in Reality they are just the Loudest and Most Annoying who think it’s Ok to Bully People when they are dumber than a Box of Jugs- Errrm Rocks.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2023 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Kelltore wrote on May 21st, 2023 at 7:53pm:
That’s Exactly my reasoning why I couldn’t get into ArchAge, the amount of High Levels that grief new players astonished me, then it came to a point where I had to play like you said as a second job to do anything and that got extremely boring so quick, I’m fine with games that are Grindy but to me it didn’t seem like you could do anything in Archage worthwhile unless you paid for something in the end. I will give it the credit for a awesome concept but holy moly it was bad when I played in 2016-2018 with the amount I have been working there was no way to keep up when I played but I did love the sheer amount of customization and content to do.

I spent HOURS just exploring the many houses and possibilities. When I got my own ship(tiny little trimiran) i could just sale for days. Finally, FINALLY, I ground out enough materials to buy a house deed and... found nowhere on the entire fucking map where I could place a house. I asked around a bit and found players would consume a house-sized plot by rotating a tiny farming plot 45 degrees. Since you could have up to eight plots, this let a relatively small number of players cheat everyone else out of having a house. Turns out house plots only change hands for exorbitant sums of money.

And that's not even getting into the direct griefing. We're not even talking about unavoidable stuff; we're talking deliberate design decisions explicitly created to enable griefers.

Fuck that game.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2023 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Archeage was ok. I played the version where you payed 20 bucks or whatever it was and that was all you payed. (Unchained maybe was what it was called?)
After a while it just got to feel like a daily job. Had all the same kill/fetch/courier quests I dont like that are in every mmo. It was sort of fun though for awhile. I played around when covid started, but then saw DDO did their first free coupon thing and came back after about 3 years away.

I didn't like the idea of "labor" where if you used all of it, well........guess I'll come back tomorrow.....

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2023 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on May 22nd, 2023 at 12:30pm:
Archeage was ok. I played the version where you payed 20 bucks or whatever it was and that was all you payed. (Unchained maybe was what it was called?)
After a while it just got to feel like a daily job. Had all the same kill/fetch/courier quests I dont like that are in every mmo. It was sort of fun though for awhile. I played around when covid started, but then saw DDO did their first free coupon thing and came back after about 3 years away.

I didn't like the idea of "labor" where if you used all of it, well........guess I'll come back tomorrow.....

I had a weird love/hate relationship with the labor mechanic. In principle it was a nice anti-poop-socking mechanic, kept me from just whiling away the entire day cutting down trees... but in practice it also meant if I DID have a free afternoon to while away, I was limited in how far I could advance.

IF I also had a house to hang around, I probably could have found enough other stuff to do. But for the unhoused players, things got rough.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint