Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DDO revenue numbers are out and its not pretty! (Read 5475 times)
Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

DDO revenue numbers are out and its not pretty!
Sep 23rd, 2023 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
A person close to death will have a better graph than DDO. Revenues are flat not for this year, not for two years, but since March 2020.

https://massivelyop.com/2023/09/21/eg7-and-daybreak-dcuos-volatility-everquests-...

With revamp of LOTRO binned, EG7 has made it clear it is happy to squeeze existing players rather than make efforts to acquire new ones. DDO has the potential but as long as Amanda Grow the joke of a producer is at the helm sucking Severlin, this game is going nowhere under EG7.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: DDO revenue numbers are out and its not pretty!
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2023 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Oof.

They are hemorrhaging players, so all the joyless cash grabs are only helping them stay flat?

Owe.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2023 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Some very interesting tidbits in there. Ji Ham tells us a remaster of LOTRO would cost $30,000,000. DDO being older, with an even worse code base, would likely cost more, but now we at least have a figure.

So to all the tards out there crying "just make DDO 2!!!!" that's what it'll cost. Thirty million dollars.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 6:21am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 23rd, 2023 at 5:47pm:
Some very interesting tidbits in there. Ji Ham tells us a remaster of LOTRO would cost $30,000,000. DDO being older, with an even worse code base, would likely cost more, but now we at least have a figure.

So to all the tards out there crying "just make DDO 2!!!!" that's what it'll cost. Thirty million dollars.

DDO is one year older than LoTRO... and they have the same codebase ( cue the PYLoTRO launcher thatworks fine on both games and the DAT file format shared by all the Turbine games )
If you look closely the only difference is that DDO is heavily instanced while LoTRO is not.  ( and thanks to the out of bounds explorations in DDO we all know that the instances are all in the same set of worlds )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Killtard
Waterworks Kobold

I love killing tards!

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Sep 23rd, 2023 at 3:25pm:
sucking Severlin,

oooh love it when chicks talk shit about other chicks, show us your tits slut!!!

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 8:11am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 23rd, 2023 at 5:47pm:

30M will get you nowhere in today's MMO development landscape. You need atleast double that.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Sep 24th, 2023 at 8:11am:
30M will get you nowhere in today's MMO development landscape. You need atleast double that.

Starfield was like 300-400 million counting advertising. Skyrim was "only" 100 million and is arguably a much better game: the modding community though has been a big part of keeping the graphics up to date and improving the combat.

Skyrim has made ~1 billion in sales. (25 million sales or something. Multiple re-releases.).

Starfield might edge 10 million sales over its lifetime, assuming giving it away on gamepass was worth it, and that many people will buy it when it goes on sale: 45*10=450 million. Now if Starfield only holds the line on gamepass subscribers and doesn't cause an increase then gamepass could have lost MS up to 100 million in sales. This is looking like it might barely beat the inflation rate, and Bethesda was bought for 7.5 billion.

~

Let's compare this all with BG3 and Divinity 2.

BG3 has had about 5 million sales at full price. It has made 300 million and cost about 150 million to make. This is without lifetime sales.

DOS2 has made about 150million over its lifetime and cost somewhere between 5-20 million to make. That said, its money was used to help make BG3.

~

Breakout hits tend to make a lot more money as a percentage because their budgets are usually pretty small. Once a company makes it into AAA their profitability % goes down but they are a safer bet for investors so there is a risk/reward scenario going on.

~

Since Morrowind Bethesda has been trying to move away from strategic gameplay and into action gameplay. Fallout 3 was a big step forward for them. Starfield has pretty good gameplay but I don't know what dumb fuck thought health bars were a good idea.

~

Realm of the Mad God was sold for about 1-2 million early in its development. That's about the cheapest to make and most successful MMO at that price point. Literally 8-bit graphics though, 2D gameplay, bullet-hell with a decent enough fantasy world and some quality sprite work.

~

Ashes of Creation is looking atleast 70-100 million to get off the ground.
6 million Kickstarter
30million Steven's money
25million Alpha 2 keys
5million Alpha 1 keys

There could be private investors involved as well although I'm sure Steven wouldn't give anyone more than 45% or something.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2023 at 10:26am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Sep 24th, 2023 at 8:11am:

That is the figure the head of EG7 quoted as saying it would cost to remaster LOTRO and that he could "build a brand-new game" for that price. Assuming he IS talking about MMOs, yes you could absolutely build an MMO for that much not counting advertising or licensing fees.

These days you can buy an MMO game engine for Unity(I own one. I've never touched it. But I bought it.) and off-the-shelf assets. Assuming you can find a creative team for cheap(not hard) and your game didn't require anything particularly cutting-edge on the back end, sure. You could build a cheap but profitable MMO for $30m. It wouldn't be a WoW-killer, but they don't all have to be.

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 24th, 2023 at 10:17am:
Starfield was like 300-400 million counting advertising. Skyrim was "only" 100 million and is arguably a much better game: the modding community though has been a big part of keeping the graphics up to date and improving the combat.

Neither of these is an MMO. Why is this a valid comparison?

Let's compare this all with BG3 and Divinity 2.

Nor are these MMOs.

Realm of the Mad God was sold for about 1-2 million early in its development. That's about the cheapest to make and most successful MMO at that price point. Literally 8-bit graphics though, 2D gameplay, bullet-hell with a decent enough fantasy world and some quality sprite work.

NOW we're getting into MMOs.

Ashes of Creation is looking atleast 70-100 million to get off the ground.
6 million Kickstarter
30million Steven's money
25million Alpha 2 keys
5million Alpha 1 keys

There could be private investors involved as well although I'm sure Steven wouldn't give anyone more than 45% or something.

A certain amount of that is going to be spent on advertising. Then you have normal business start-up costs and ancillary employees. You need a building, furniture, HR, janitors, someone to pay all those people. The list goes on. Even if you decide to do a "virtual office" in this post-covid world, there's still hiring most of the ancillary staff, buying everyone computers, licensing collaboration software.

EG7 has their own advertising platform, a huge presence in the gaming media, and owns several functional studios. They could build the new game at an existing studio, hiring on only minimal new staff, using tools they already own and off-the-shelf components. It won't be a WoW-killer(what Ashes of Creation is aiming to be), but it could make money.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 24th, 2023 at 12:34pm:
These days you can buy an MMO game engine for Unity(I own one. I've never touched it. But I bought it.) and off-the-shelf assets. Assuming you can find a creative team for cheap(not hard) and your game didn't require anything particularly cutting-edge on the back end, sure. You could build a cheap but profitable MMO for $30m. It wouldn't be a WoW-killer, but they don't all have to be.

MMOs are winner takes all. Personally, I don't think you would ever try to hire cheap. As it is a creative field you want to hire an "Author" and team experienced in the genre so that they can make a minimum viable product that is new and unique in their niche. If you can't capture a niche then you have no hope of expanding to a larger user base. Realm of the Mad God was a fluke from some smart dudes.

There are tons of existing games with lots of legacy content, where the price / value ratio gets better every year. Now that content might not age as well, but there is more content. There's been millions sunk into DDO and LOTRO.

Quote:
Neither of these is an MMO. Why is this a valid comparison?

Let's pretend we are only talking about MMOs made out of single player games (E.x., SWOTOR, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76); if those games try to beat any other game at a particular niche then it will cost---perhaps---more than that game did on that niche. Take Dark Souls. Having any MMO with that quality of combat is going to cost Dark Souls and then a multiplier of that.

World of Warcraft costs at least 10-15 million a year to operate. It's lifetime investment is in the hundreds of millions. It's probably up over the 500 million mark now in how much money has been spent on it. This is why there has never been a "WoW killer." You would have to beat them at their own game.

New game development---if it is adjacent to MMOs---has to operate orthogonally or to use a phrase from Nintendo: "lateral thinking with withered materials."

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2023 at 4:05pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
There's also this huge problem though in that the creative design space of Video Games is starting to become crowded: when MMOs were new they were very fun, and similarly when RPGs were new they were very fun. You can get burnt out on a whole genre. Keeping games evergreen is pretty impossible.

Heck we even see this with professional sports. Horse Racing and Boxing were once on top. Then Baseball took it. Now Soccer and American Football are on top. Sure you can still go down to a Derby but it is relatively less popular.

The rise of mobile gaming has had a huge influence on the economics of game design. MMOs existed before Facebook became dominant and they tended to wane as people shifted to raw social media (Tik Tok / Twitter), and more focused gaming experiences.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2023 at 4:11pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 24th, 2023 at 4:04pm:
MMOs are winner takes all.

They are absolutely not winner take all, as evidenced by the fact that we are having this conversation on a forum dedicated to a game that is not World of Warcraft.

At any given time there are dozens of small niche MMOs living and dying. They come, they last a little while, they die. The microtransaction model is what made this possible. On a subscription model the game needs to run for years and years to be profitable. Microtransactions let the game make back its budget much faster by milking whales. These games ultimately flare out relatively fast but it doesn't matter because they turned a huge profit in the short-term. MassivelyOP even has an entire category for them: https://massivelyop.com/tag/mmos-youve-never-heard-of/

Personally, I don't think you would ever try to hire cheap.

Its not that you have to "hire cheap" so much as "it doesn't cost that much unless you need a rockstar". Consider that "video game designer" is about the most sought-after job by young incels the world over, and the supply of available labor vs demand for it is very lopsided. Just look at SSG: they could fire all the designers tomorrow and hire people to exactly as good a job for half the price and no discernable drop in quality. But then they'd be violating minimum wage laws.

Within the massive sea of people who want to the job, there exists easily thousands of fully-qualified applicants who will do it for a pittance.

Let's pretend we are only talking about MMOs made out of single player games

Weird limitation, but ok. Just keep in mind you're talking about WoW-killers(that failed).

(E.x., SWOTOR, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76); if those games try to beat any other game at a particular niche then it will cost---perhaps---more than that game did on that niche. Take Dark Souls. Having any MMO with that quality of combat is going to cost Dark Souls and then a multiplier of that.

Yes its the games that don't try to do that that get made for much less money.

World of Warcraft costs at least 10-15 million a year to operate. It's lifetime investment is in the hundreds of millions. It's probably up over the 500 million mark now in how much money has been spent on it. This is why there has never been a "WoW killer." You would have to beat them at their own game.

Yes and that's kind of my problem: we only ever talk about wow-killers and not all the other games that did not set out to be wow-killers. Those are the ones that can be made for cheap, operated for cheap, and monetized into tedium

WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Sep 24th, 2023 at 4:10pm:
There's also this huge problem though in that the creative design space of Video Games is starting to become crowded: when MMOs were new they were very fun, and similarly when RPGs were new they were very fun. You can get burnt out on a whole genre. Keeping games evergreen is pretty impossible.

Its all about finding the right market, though. If you build a game for longevity you can keep players going on it indefinitely. There's folks who've been playing Ultima Online or 26 years. There are many other long-runners out there you hardly hear about, all of which have people who've played since beta.

Some people get burned out on games, some get burned out on genres. Some don't. Personally, I am an MMO gamer. DDO has become too shit for me to continue playing, so I'm searching for another game in my genre to play. People saying "oh just go play baldur's gate 3!" don't seem to know what an MMO is.

Heck we even see this with professional sports. Horse Racing and Boxing were once on top. Then Baseball took it. Now Soccer and American Football are on top. Sure you can still go down to a Derby but it is relatively less popular.

Yup. And it sucks if your whole life was one of those sports that's now on the decline.

The rise of mobile gaming has had a huge influence on the economics of game design. MMOs existed before Facebook became dominant and they tended to wane as people shifted to raw social media (Tik Tok / Twitter), and more focused gaming experiences.

This has been my problem. With the market share for MMOs shrinking and the rise of e-sports making "action"RPGs the dominant form, I'm stuck with staggeringly few options. There is of course still WoW, but everything that made me quite WoW 17 years ago has only gotten worse since then. There's FFIV but I'm not sure I can start a grind that big this late in my life. There's Everquest II but its just... meh. I had a lot of hope for Amazon's MMO but it looks like that's already failed. My quest is further complicated by financial constraints. A year or two ago spending $150 just to check out a game was no big deal(which I did with Archeage). Today I do not have one dime to spend on a new game.

So the search continues.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Sep 23rd, 2023 at 3:25pm:
DDO has the potential but as long as Amanda Grow the joke of a producer is at the helm sucking Severlin,

I'd like to think she has more self-esteem than to horn in on Cordo's job, but maybe they tag team Sev.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Notanarc wrote on Sep 24th, 2023 at 5:10pm:
I'd like to think she has more self-esteem than to horn in on Cordo's job, but maybe they tag team Sev.

You think Cordo is any better at that job than he is his community manager job? She probably has to fill in for him.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
If DDO is only dying at the rate of inflation, that's better than I might have guessed.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 1:36pm:
If DDO is only dying at the rate of inflation, that's better than I might have guessed.

Me too although I'm pretty curious how the last 3 months have been. U61 did not increase the player population at all on ddo audit.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 1:36pm:

That's actually pretty bad given the current obscene inflation.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #16 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 2:55pm:
That's actually pretty bad given the current obscene inflation.

I considered that. Headline CPI is down in the 3-4% range now according to "official" numbers. But, it topped out at >9% in the last year. Also, that excludes food and energy costs which.... are a huge part of our costs and have inflated like a mf'er.

Anywhoo, I agree with WFB that this latest update hasn't seemed to bring back ppl on breaks, for example. Pretty meh.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 26th, 2023 at 5:02pm:
Anywhoo, I agree with WFB that this latest update hasn't seemed to bring back ppl on breaks, for example. Pretty meh.

Didn't bring me back.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint