Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kensai and Epic (Read 5562 times)
Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Kensai and Epic
Mar 18th, 2010 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Hey I'm looking at pushing my tactics fighter up to level 20 to play in the epic qs and I'm wondering, is it worth respeccing him for bludgeoning instead of khopeshes?

Would the bonuses to hit and damage with warhammers be worth it?

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Re: Kensai and Epic
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
On Epic, if you don't Power Attack, the normal +to hit stuff is fine. If you do PA, you'll need all the +to hit stuff you can get.

Now, having said that, Weighted and stunning are where it's at in Epic and all you need to do is hit.

So, if you have better things to spend the feats on and all you're going to do is stun stuff, don't bother with the Weapon Focus-type feats.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
i think u need the focus feats for kensai.

I just meant Im currentluy a khopesh kensai. Does it make sense, based on how uber stunning is in epic, to actually become a warhammer based kensai? with all the damage focus stuff that would go with it?
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2010 at 3:21pm by Gornn »  

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Gornn wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 3:20pm:
i think u need the focus feats for kensai.

I just meant Im currentluy a khopesh kensai. Does it make sense, based on how uber stunning is in epic, to actually become a warhammer based kensai? with all the damage focus stuff that would go with it?

Ah yes, you're right WF is needed. My bad.

As to your Warhammer question...let's just say you wouldn't be the ONLY guy to have converted or built a toon this way.

Stunning rules in Epic for sure.

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

nebuchanezzar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Just my thoughts, but either way is fine. I tend to believe in just swinging dual weighted's then swapping to Khop's once a stun hits. I often weapon swap on Epic. Start with Imp. Destruction Khop + Tenderizer(Destruction on DT) and then swap to weighted warhammer and Tenderizer until a stun, then swap again to Khops until stun wears off.

I have considered respeccing to Heavy Picks to really leverage the auto-crits but haven't gotten around to it and the damage vs bosses/heavy fort would probably keep me from going that way. I put frost burst on a Holy Burst Heavy Pick of Maiming but the damage doesn't "appear" to be anything substantially more than my Khops. Of course speccing for Picks should dramatically change that.

Since dual weighteds can just happen(5% on damage dealt effect), I would focus on the dps weapon and just make sure you can hit with the weighteds. The stuns will come.

Again, just my 2c on the idea.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 18th, 2010 at 3:47pm:
Ah yes, you're right WF is needed. My bad.

As to your Warhammer question...let's just say you wouldn't be the ONLY guy to have converted or built a toon this way.

Stunning rules in Epic for sure.

no one in his right mind will convert a slash specced kensai to bludgeon specced. A L20 fighter has 18 feats, there is more than enough to have both! There are ways to save feats thou, ie you do not need IC bludgeon as you are relying on stun. You do not really need to spec to bludgeon as the kensai DC is for all weapons. The only thing missing is the to hit bonus which can be increased by going without PA or by using ToD kensai set (+5 to hit with kensai III)

fully buffed in a raid shurugar can hit +70 to hit, +60 damage with PA up. A +70 is good for most epic mobs

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to add some bonuses to Brutality for Stunning. She's already scheduled to be GTWF Khopesh Kensai and has two Tenderizers. . . I really wanted Spring Attack, though.

The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Mithran wrote on Mar 24th, 2010 at 9:46pm:
I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to add some bonuses to Brutality for Stunning. She's already scheduled to be GTWF Khopesh Kensai and has two Tenderizers. . . I really wanted Spring Attack, though.

i just looked through brut on the forums. there are some things which i feel can be changed

stats: why 9 wis and 9 cha? if you are going pure dps, dump them to 8. plus 1 more point in those stat doesnt really make a difference. personally i'll be more ambitious and even go 18/14/15/12/8/8

skills: drop tumble, you only need 1 rank. could get your umd up. shurugar really enjoys his umd. 10 min shield wands when twf rocks!

feats:take toughness early on. otwf can wait until you get itwf. low level twf isnt really that efficient. gtwf should be taken at 16 not 18 and swf at 18 not 16. you need swf for kensai III which is only available at 18. taking gtwf at 16 helps more. power attack should be taken much much earlier, not at 20. swop it with stunning blow. oh, drop dodge, not really useful at your ac

enhancement: haste boost 4 is a must for kensai's. drop critical accuracy 4, its a waste of 4 APs. why get dex? i doubt you be speccing for tanking since i do not see amor mastery. get adapt str con instead to open up racial toughness 3 to replace fighter toughness 4 to save 1 AP. get gtr adaptability str to replace fighter str 3 to save 2 APs

epic stunning blow is definately worth it. but i suggest fixing your will save first. its going to be ugly  Grin

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:59am:
enhancement: haste boost 4 is a must for kensai's. drop critical accuracy 4, its a waste of 4 APs.

Critical Accuracy IV is required in order to take the Kensai III enhancement.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:05am:

I only have Crit Accuracy III and I have Kensai III. I followed the build that Demoyn did for me in the builds section.

Prerequisites: Level 18 Fighter, Fighter Kensei II, Fighter Attack Boost III, Fighter Critical Accuracy III, any Superior Weapon Focus.  - taken from ddowiki tm

ps - that build isn't the way you want to go with a brand new character, it was put together for a lesser reincarnation.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:28am by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:05am:

crit 4 for kensai is the prereleased version. when kensai was released it is lowered to crit 3

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:36am:
crit 4 for kensai is the prereleased version. when kensai was released it is lowered to crit 3

Oh crap, really?

They really need to fix the Compendium then!  Angry

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I changed the Kensai III requirements down at the bottom of the Fighter page in the DDO Compendium to reflect the Critical Accuracy III requirement.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2010 at 2:10pm by Arkat »  

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Do I really have to say it?

The Character Planner has all of this stuff up to date for 3.34 and we are working (albeit slowly) on 3.4 right now.

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Hordo wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 6:20pm:
Do I really have to say it?

The Character Planner has all of this stuff up to date for 3.34 and we are working (albeit slowly) on 3.4 right now.

Character Planner? We don't need no steengkeeng Character Planner!  Tongue

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 8:29pm:

nah just admit you dun have a kensai fighter  Grin

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 8:29pm:

You don't use things that let you see numbers and options when building?  No wonder you like monks.

Yeah, I had to say it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #16 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:07pm:
nah just admit you dun have a kensai fighter  Grin

I actually have a Kensai Fighter. Gilgamesh is a Hvy Repeater Kensai. 18th levels of Fighter so far. Now I gotta redo his enhancements to get those 4 action points back that I spent on Critical Accuracy IV!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #17 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:46pm:
You don't use things that let you see numbers and options when building?

It's called Pen, Paper, and Math!  Tongue

(I've actually used Ron's character planner once. I just don't like the way it looks.)
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2010 at 10:45pm by Arkat »  

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 10:43pm:
I actually have a Kensai Fighter. Gilgamesh is a Hvy Repeater Kensai. 18th levels of Fighter so far. Now I gotta redo his enhancements to get those 4 action points back that I spent on Critical Accuracy IV!

thats no kensai! thats a gimp!  Grin

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #19 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 11:02pm:
thats no kensai! thats a gimp!  Grin

You'd be surprised Joseph, you'd be surprised.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 11:20pm:
You'd be surprised Joseph, you'd be surprised.

...at how gimpy it is?  You realize that even IF your math would add up to near-decent numbers for this build that repeaters are broken and don't actually shoot half the time the dice rolls, right (unless they've fixed that in the past two months, but I doubt it)?

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #21 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Mar 26th, 2010 at 12:05am:
...at how gimpy it is?  You realize that even IF your math would add up to near-decent numbers for this build that repeaters are broken and don't actually shoot half the time the dice rolls, right (unless they've fixed that in the past two months, but I doubt it)?

It's more than half but less than 100%. It's prolly around 80% to 85% that bolts actually get shot.

Gimped compared to the Monster? Yah.

Can hold the agro of Sally when "tanking" in VoD? Yah, that too.

Lightning II Hvy Repeaters are fun!
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2010 at 12:18am by Arkat »  

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Mar 26th, 2010 at 12:17am:
It's more than half but less than 100%. It's prolly around 80% to 85% that bolts actually get shot.

Gimped compared to the Monster? Yah.

Can hold the agro of Sally when "tanking" in VoD? Yah, that too.

Lightning II Hvy Repeaters are fun!

meh tank horoth  Shocked

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #23 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:59am:
i just looked through brut on the forums. there are some things which i feel can be changed

stats: why 9 wis and 9 cha? if you are going pure dps, dump them to 8. plus 1 more point in those stat doesnt really make a difference. personally i'll be more ambitious and even go 18/14/15/12/8/8

skills: drop tumble, you only need 1 rank. could get your umd up. shurugar really enjoys his umd. 10 min shield wands when twf rocks!

feats:take toughness early on. otwf can wait until you get itwf. low level twf isnt really that efficient. gtwf should be taken at 16 not 18 and swf at 18 not 16. you need swf for kensai III which is only available at 18. taking gtwf at 16 helps more. power attack should be taken much much earlier, not at 20. swop it with stunning blow. oh, drop dodge, not really useful at your ac

enhancement: haste boost 4 is a must for kensai's. drop critical accuracy 4, its a waste of 4 APs. why get dex? i doubt you be speccing for tanking since i do not see amor mastery. get adapt str con instead to open up racial toughness 3 to replace fighter toughness 4 to save 1 AP. get gtr adaptability str to replace fighter str 3 to save 2 APs

epic stunning blow is definately worth it. but i suggest fixing your will save first. its going to be ugly  Grin

How did you manage a 33 point build?

A 32 point Kensai III 18 14 14 12 8 8 human...

If a TR I would 18 15 15 12 8 8 ... or possible a 18 14 14 10 8 12 if you had a +3 or 4 int tome and were planning on fitting in force of personality into it some how?

Shugar is right though see investment in UMD is what am after but costs a feat ... Human fighters are sometimes thin on though believe it or not am still debating what feat to rip out from Emi for it...
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:17am by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 6:33am
Print Post  
14 to 15 con on a human is 2 build points

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint