Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic toaster sorc vs wizard (Read 2083 times)
cl2012
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

toaster sorc vs wizard
Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I want to start a toaster arcane caster and I want to justify a wizard but forums say he is inferior to sorc in every way

I know sorc gets more sp, and effectively a free 0 mana always on quicken feat

If wiz spends his feats on bonus feats on mental toughness and imp mental toughness and quiken he basicly makes up for the sorcs super free quicken feat

wiz is still ~ 600 mana behind but some of that is made up for by efficient maximize enhancement that the sorc doesnt have access to

so any thoughts?

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Re: toaster sorc vs wizard
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Pure, or rogue-splashed? If splashed (for even more of an sp hit), you can throw in insightful reflexes on one of the feats, and use that in conjunction with evasion to mitigate quite a bit of incoming damage. Makes for less of a blaster, admittedly, but by the same token, you're not gonna do much blasting from taking full damage from a couple fireballs to the face, either.

Breaks down to whats more fun your end and what else you want to be able to do as the deciding factor. Least in my mind (which I freely admit is more than a little cluttered at times Tongue).

IP Logged

cl2012
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
staying pure, wizard capstone is too sweet

not planning to TR but if I was I would definitely go 2 rogue

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Gonna have to vote sorc then if you're comfortable with the spell list. Just keep in mind while leveling the repair lines going to eat one of your spell-slots and plan accordingly.

IP Logged

cl2012
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
my plan for repair was to wand whip until reconstruct

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Could work, if you've got the plat for it. Say... 15-20 criticals should do ya up to that point.

IP Logged

cl2012
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
my paladin is wand whipping fine and he is in the thick of things, maybe using 1 wand every 3 instances

if i play it right the sorc should only get mob aggro if I pull it and occasional trap/aoe damage

IP Logged

Phidius
Korthos Resident

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
cl2012 wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:02pm:
my plan for repair was to wand whip until reconstruct

Good plan - there's not much need for repair spells at the lower levels anyway, unless you don't want to spend the plat (new to server or just a cheap bastage like me)

At the lower levels, I use wands in between fights, and pots if I need some HP during a fight.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
cl2012 wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:36pm:
I want to start a toaster arcane caster and I want to justify a wizard but forums say he is inferior to sorc in every way

I know sorc gets more sp, and effectively a free 0 mana always on quicken feat

If wiz spends his feats on bonus feats on mental toughness and imp mental toughness and quiken he basicly makes up for the sorcs super free quicken feat

wiz is still ~ 600 mana behind but some of that is made up for by efficient maximize enhancement that the sorc doesnt have access to

so any thoughts?

Gotta say that wiz is better, imo.  Reasons:

WF has -2 to charisma.  Costs you on spell DC's for insta-death and CC.

Wiz has 5 extra feats.  That's a lot of ability to get in both spell pens some focuses and still hit all your key metamagics and a toughness or two.  No way you can get that in a sorc. 

They will be lacking in spell pen, dc's, HP, or maybe a little of all.

You can take insightful reflexes which covers the reflex save.  Sorcs can take force of personality, but will save is already the caster's strong save. Plus what sorc can spare a feat for that?  Wizzes have some to spare.

Spell selection is benefit, too.  If you want to squeeze in repairs with all your other spells, the extras a wiz gets makes for a much more versatile caster.  (minor point here, I know, but check out level 6 spells.  lots of fun stuff there.)

Sure the sorc has the mana boost, but really, if you can't make do with 2300 per shrine plus your bauble and spell storing ring, then you are probably doing something wrong.  Or carry a few mana pots.  This is the smallest advantage that exists.  But it's the one that gets the most attention.  I don't get that.

That leaves you with the slightly faster casting time.  Which a wiz can spend one of those 5 extra feats on quicken and bypass concentration checks with fast casting.  So, for me, it's meh. 

I go wizard, personally.  Those 5 extra feats are killer in my book.  But both are very fun.

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:27pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

(.)
Waterworks Kobold

Ebading a van XD

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 5:04pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint