Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help me plan this TR (Ftr to Barb) (Read 6796 times)
stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Help me plan this TR (Ftr to Barb)
Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
This is the character I have (below), a level 20 dorf ftr. I have the encrusted and the shinto tod sets. After I make 2 lit II d axes I was considering TR'g into a 18 barb/2 ftr. I was thinking the 2 ftr for the extra feats. What do you guys think? Should I just go pure barb? I would appreciate the advice.

Demoyn wrote on Mar 10th, 2010 at 8:44pm:
Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Chaotic Good Dwarf Male
(20 Fighter)
Hit Points: 352
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 17
Reflex: 12
Will: 9

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
(32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
Strength             18                    26
Dexterity            15                    17
Constitution         16                    18
Intelligence          8                     8
Wisdom               10                    10
Charisma              6                     6

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: Help me plan this TR (Ftr to Barb)
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
If it's a TR you have 2 more build points to spend as this is a 32 not a 34.  What feats were you planning on taking besides the TWF line?

NVM those are your current fighter stats...duh.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:21pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:17pm:
If it's a TR you have 2 more build points to spend as this is a 32 not a 34.  What feats were you planning on taking besides the TWF line?

NVM those are your current fighter stats...duh.

I was thinking instead of having to choose between toughness and stunning blow, I could have both. Maybe the ftr past life feat, but I dont think I would need the +4 to hit for anything.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

zed
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
This is what I am in the middle of, but I decided to go human since my GS weapons are khopeshes, and I wanted the human healing amp.

Quote:
Level 20 Neutral Good Human Female
(2 Fighter / 18 Barbarian)
Hit Points: 428
Spell Points: 0

Starting    Feat/Enhancement
Abilities    Base Stats    Modified Stats
(34 Point)    (Level 1)      (Level 20)
Strength           18                27
Dexterity          15                17
Constitution       16                20
Intelligence        8                 8
Wisdom              8                 8
Charisma            8                 8

Level 1 (Barbarian) - Khopesh, TWF, Passive Past Life Fighter
Level 2 (Fighter) - Power Attack
Level 3 (Barbarian) - OTWF
Level 6 (Barbarian) - Cleave
Level 8 (Fighter) - ITWF
Level 9 (Barbarian) -  IC: Slash
Level 12 (Barbarian) - GTWF
Level 15 (Barbarian) - Toughness 
Level 18 (Barbarian) - Stunning Blow

If I had Carnifax, I probably would have swapped ITWF and IC: Slash.  Currently, I have some decent lowbie keen khopeshes, so it was worth it to switch to TWF a level earlier.

One annoying thing about the fighter/barb combo is that fighter haste and barb damage boost are on the same cooldown timer.  So, don't count on using them at the same time.  Having the strength enhancement and stunning blow enhancement are nice for my build, though.

FWIW, I'm not 100% sure if I would do it this way if i was staying a barbarian.  I primarily wanted access to the Barbarian past life feat on a future fighter build.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
i used a 2 rogue/6 fighter/ 12 barb combo to get through those that messy TR.  Soloing was made easy.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
zed wrote on Sep 14th, 2010 at 3:49pm:
This is what I am in the middle of, but I decided to go human since my GS weapons are khopeshes, and I wanted the human healing amp.

If I had Carnifax, I probably would have swapped ITWF and IC: Slash.  Currently, I have some decent lowbie keen khopeshes, so it was worth it to switch to TWF a level earlier.

One annoying thing about the fighter/barb combo is that fighter haste and barb damage boost are on the same cooldown timer.  So, don't count on using them at the same time.  Having the strength enhancement and stunning blow enhancement are nice for my build, though.

FWIW, I'm not 100% sure if I would do it this way if i was staying a barbarian.  I primarily wanted access to the Barbarian past life feat on a future fighter build.

damage boost is hardly worth the effort. if it was not for frenzy, i wouldnt have taken it

IP Logged

Tspoon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
If you haven't made the khopeshes yet then why not just go THF and get the Barb capstone and mighty rage?  Or go with DA if you are making another Dorf and forget about the fighter levels.  Seems like a lot to give up just for feats.

IP Logged

Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
If you drop toughness how many HP is it? 100 max?

Your barb should have upwards of 700-800 raging anyway. That might be a consideration as well.

IN terms of THF didn't it get a serious nerf recently? All my THF are WF and I haven't bought them yet, so I haven't checked it oot.

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

zed
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you haven't made the khopeshes yet then why not just go THF and get the Barb capstone and mighty rage?  Or go with DA if you are making another Dorf and forget about the fighter levels.  Seems like a lot to give up just for feats.

I think you are confusing my and stainer's posts Smiley He is going dwarf with DA.

Aranticus wrote on Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:11pm:
damage boost is hardly worth the effort. if it was not for frenzy, i wouldnt have taken it

Agreed, the value is minimal.  But... when compared to the massive TR investment to make minor improvements to a working build, the half-second to click the damage boost hardly registers.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:

The first tier of fighter haste boost is very powerful, unless they've changed it.

Now that the barb capstone alacrity bonus bug has been removed, I'd guess that the 18/2 and the pure barb are very close in DPS.  I'm not really sure which would be higher.

Edit: I find my barb needs 1 more feat.  Gotta have the THF line, cleave, and power attack.  Toughness isn't really an option in my mind, with the cheap AP booster it's a really nice feat.  A pure barb has to decide between toughness or stunning blow.

Now, as far as the extra feat that remains with an 18/2, I took quick draw.  Not particularly attached to that feat, but I just didn't see anything better.  Switching weapons quickly comes in handy, and I guess it's fun to throw stuff faster.

p.s. Strake is finally a 32-point build!
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2010 at 10:37pm by Strakeln »  

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Sep 16th, 2010 at 10:32pm:
The first tier of fighter haste boost is very powerful, unless they've changed it.

Now that the barb capstone alacrity bonus bug has been removed, I'd guess that the 18/2 and the pure barb are very close in DPS.  I'm not really sure which would be higher.

Edit: I find my barb needs 1 more feat.  Gotta have the THF line, cleave, and power attack.  Toughness isn't really an option in my mind, with the cheap AP booster it's a really nice feat.  A pure barb has to decide between toughness or stunning blow.

Now, as far as the extra feat that remains with an 18/2, I took quick draw.  Not particularly attached to that feat, but I just didn't see anything better.  Switching weapons quickly comes in handy, and I guess it's fun to throw stuff faster.

p.s. Strake is finally a 32-point build! 

He was pretty dan uber as a 28 pointer, nevermind! Wink

Fighter Haste boost is super nice. Super nice for 1 ap, anyway.

Edit I'm assuming your feat path includes improved critical. Could always just use that feat slot and use your min2 weapon and get a keen weapon out of it.

the min2 is useful in most situations, but where it isn't your dps suffers unless the beastie is immune to crits.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2010 at 10:49am by Gornn »  

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

zed
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Regarding changes to Barb, these are the fixes for Update 7 that Modfloyd put into his blog:

Quote:
Glancing Blows no longer scale with Base Attack Bonus, and start at a base of 20% weapon damage.

Enhancements and feats that modify the Glancing Blow damage multiplier now function.

The Two Handed Fighting chain has been modified to add 10% to glancing blow weapon damage per tier, and the chance to produce special weapon effects has been increased to 3% per tier.  They no longer grant to-hit bonuses for Glancing Blows.

The Barbarian capstone, “Might”, now correctly grants +10% glancing blow weapon damage and 5% chance to produce special weapon effects in addition to its +2 Strength bonus.  (A half-orc or warforged barbarian with all three THF feats, Great Weapon Aptitude, and Might will have deal 60% weapon damage with their glancing blows, with a 20% chance to produce special weapon effects.)

The Frenzied Berserker and Great Weapon Aptitude enhancements now give full information on their effects on two handed combat.

IP Logged

Lleren
Korthos Resident

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I'm wondering if I should look at those "fixes" as a buff or a weakening. Undecided

Then again my Barbarian is a Halfling that plans to be a Half-Orc when she grows up.

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Remember Rogue haste is just as good as Fighter haste.

I prefer 2levels of rogue. Evasion and UmD are the better feats.

"I'll provide the perspective"

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #14 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
So, now that 0.5 Elf and 0.5 Orc have been previewed, are either of them looking attractive to you?

I'm curious, because both have some nice benefits, but I don't see anything that would make me demand either for a TWF Barbarian - especially since you have an extra feat that you will probably want to purchase as a TR.

fnord

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Sep 24th, 2010 at 12:32pm:
So, now that 0.5 Elf and 0.5 Orc have been previewed, are either of them looking attractive to you?

I'm curious, because both have some nice benefits, but I don't see anything that would make me demand either for a TWF Barbarian - especially since you have an extra feat that you will probably want to purchase as a TR.

I am delaying a TR until I see how all this plays out. Believe it or not I have all 10 of my character slots filled with real characters or projects right now. I have a lvl 5 monk I was going dark path with to try TOD. That seems like a waste now, so I was thinking about a Half Orc something or another.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #16 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Gornn wrote on Sep 17th, 2010 at 10:46am:
Edit I'm assuming your feat path includes improved critical. Could always just use that feat slot and use your min2 weapon and get a keen weapon out of it.

You're right, I did forget to include that.  And your suggestion is quite valid - I do tend to use my Min II as my default weapon anyway.  But... the feat is too good to drop, IMO.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Tspoon
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 24th, 2010 at 12:46pm:
I am delaying a TR until I see how all this plays out. Believe it or not I have all 10 of my character slots filled with real characters or projects right now. I have a lvl 5 monk I was going dark path with to try TOD. That seems like a waste now, so I was thinking about a Half Orc something or another.

Looks like half-orc is going to be way overpowered so caveat emptor on builds that you hope to have any longevity with...  as to the dark monk nerf, 500 untyped damage was absurdly overpowered.  ToD is now about right.  there are however a lot of whiners out there.  I just TRed Tspatula to be basically max wis to go for the shintao PrE but that works for dark too.  sounds like you gimped yours by going for a strength based build?  T

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #18 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Looks like half-orc is going to be way overpowered so caveat emptor on builds that you hope to have any longevity with...  as to the dark monk nerf, 500 untyped damage was absurdly overpowered.  ToD is now about right.  there are however a lot of whiners out there.  I just TRed Tspatula to be basically max wis to go for the shintao PrE but that works for dark too.  sounds like you gimped yours by going for a strength based build?  T

Yep, I was going str based. Luckily I hadn't invested any tomes yet, so no loss. Smiley

So you think 1/2 Orcs will get nerfed down the road? I was looking at trying a 1/2 orc ftr and then maybe TR'g Dreadler into a 1/2 Orc Barb.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Tspoon
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 24th, 2010 at 2:25pm:
Yep, I was going str based. Luckily I hadn't invested any tomes yet, so no loss. Smiley

So you think 1/2 Orcs will get nerfed down the road? I was looking at trying a 1/2 orc ftr and then maybe TR'g Dreadler into a 1/2 Orc Barb.

Well, I just saw some posts on lama forums that seemed to indicate that all the str and PA enhancement lines we gonna be very unbalanced.  I would say that halforcs are gonna be a great melee race, just bear in mind that they are likely gonna have some growing pains.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #20 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Well, I just saw some posts on lama forums that seemed to indicate that all the str and PA enhancement lines we gonna be very unbalanced.  I would say that halforcs are gonna be a great melee race, just bear in mind that they are likely gonna have some growing pains. 

I.E. Be prepared for the U8 nerf bat.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

ZombieKenny
Korthos Resident

Reply #21 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
It would be fairly foolish at this point to not expect a nerf in the not-too-distant future. Will a nerf happen? Possibly not, but I wouldn't count on it.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #22 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
I bet the Tukaw build will go half-orc.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker