Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Turbine discussion (Read 20822 times)
scraap
Ex Member

Re: Heard a rumor
Reply #50 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 11:08am:
It just dawned on me that I am working pretty hard to resolve this situation and I realized what would happen if the situation was reversed.

Ban
Ban
Ban
Ban
Ban
Ban

Question is: Eye for an Eye, or prove you're better than that?

Wouldn't be opposed though to at least a requirement of, say, 5 posts under introductions before the rest is unlocked, to enforce the notion that this is for discussing, not lurking.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: Turbine discussion
Reply #51 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:00pm:
And in a world with Tor, you have to ban all IP addresses. Where it leads is needing a human gatekeeper, who has to decide who is a witch, and who is not. Am I a witch? How would you know for sure, even after a hundred posts?

I have an updated list of Tor exit nodes. I can block Tor if necessary.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Joe User
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I don't have the specifics of what this thread was created about.  (Did someone create a thread on the ddo forums and another thread here and link it and it was deleted there right after?)

Being a network consultant by trade - here are a couple options;

Go through every account and somehow flag any user account that's ever logged onto these forums from a Turbine IP.  Then go through all of those flagged accounts and mark all of those IP addresses and see if any additional accounts have logged on from those non-turbine IP addresses.

This would give you a list of IP's and names of people associated with Turbine.

(This would not stop them from creating new accounts from previously un-flagged IP addresses)

If there's a private forum/thread I'm happy to contribute any knowledge I can.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Gornn wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:24pm:
Its funny.

DDO goes free to play becomes a money machine.

Development focus like crazy on the cash cow.

Lotro kinda falls by the wayside.

Now lotro is picking up again and DDO is the whoor nobody wants

Yes. It will probably go back and forth at WB's whims. And of course Turbine is under silence orders and can't tell us what's really going on.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Question is: Eye for an Eye, or prove you're better than that?

I don't see it that way. Having Big Brother over here reading and then taking action elsewhere kind of defeats the point of having the Vault or participating here. The DDO Vault - your forums for drama with cuss words, with the added bonus of monitoring by DDO mods.

If I want to have to phrase everything carefully, avoid hurting feelings, minimize even the perception of criticism, and only sing praises to Turbine and their Staff (may they reign forever!!!), I know where to find forums.ddo.com.

Quote:
Wouldn't be opposed though to at least a requirement of, say, 5 posts under introductions before the rest is unlocked, to enforce the notion that this is for discussing, not lurking.

I don't much like tiered access - it really makes it difficult to attract new users.

I would like to see the post count reset on a name change. Continuity is everything on a forum.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #55 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Joe User wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:58pm:
I don't have the specifics of what this thread was created about.  (Did someone create a thread on the ddo forums and another thread here and link it and it was deleted there right after?)

Being a network consultant by trade - here are a couple options;

Go through every account and somehow flag any user account that's ever logged onto these forums from a Turbine IP.  Then go through all of those flagged accounts and mark all of those IP addresses and see if any additional accounts have logged on from those non-turbine IP addresses.

This would give you a list of IP's and names of people associated with Turbine.

(This would not stop them from creating new accounts from previously un-flagged IP addresses)

If there's a private forum/thread I'm happy to contribute any knowledge I can.

Dammit Strakeln! Why couldn't we have thought of something like this?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:05pm:
Dammit Strakeln! Why couldn't we have thought of something like this?

Because you were too busy wasting time creating the Everyone Moderates forums?

Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #57 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:06pm:
Because you were too busy wasting time creating the Everyone Moderates forums?

I forgot my sarcasm smiley.  _,|,,

There.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Joe User
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Oh it was just a thought.  Wasn't sure if you've already done it or not.  Since I don't have the full background as to what started this issue I don't know the severity.. so I hadn't put much thought into it... yet..  Am happy to brainstorm with others if needed.

There's always more sneaky shit you can do;
Example includes every link on every page includes a variable linking a number associated to the current username.  User1 = 23492304920   User2=98073829798 (stored in some database on the server).  If I email someone a link that says www.website/thread=34343&Userid=23492304920  then you would know user1 was the person who sent the link. (in addition to the referrer page - if it wasn't cut-n-pasted into the browser)

(everybody only ever sees their userid so there's no trying to guess someone else)
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:24pm by Joe User »  

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #59 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Joe User wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:22pm:
Oh it was just a thought.  Wasn't sure if you've already done it or not.  Since I don't have the full background as to what started this issue I don't know the severity.. so I hadn't put much thought into it... yet..  Am happy to brainstorm with others if needed.

Example includes every link on every page includes a variable linking a number associated to the current username.  User1 = 23492304920   User2=98073829798 (stored in some database on the server).  If I email someone a link that says www.website/thread=34343&Userid=23492304920  then you would know user1 was the person who sent the link. (in addition to the referrer page - if it wasn't cut-n-pasted into the browser)

(everybody only ever sees their userid so there's no trying to guess someone else)

Smiley

Hi Creepy Network Dude.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:08pm:
I forgot my sarcasm smiley.  _,|,,

There.

Is this the "blow me" smiley? Smiley

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #61 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Joe User wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:22pm:

We just want to know who they are, not cause them to hire security.

Or freak everyone else out.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:30pm by stainer »  

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Joe User
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 26th, 2011 at 8:31pm:
There's only one example of this.

How many examples do you want?

Did/do they have IP addresses to confirm the person here is the same as the person who signed the NDA?  Hell, if I want to cause someone grief who I think is on the mournlands server, why not just create an account here with their forum name, one of thier toons names, etc. 

Simple answer is; Turbine should moderate their own forums.  They have no authority over here, they don't control the server therefor they can't (easily) prove who did what.

There is a very easy way for them to associate an account name on these forums to a ddo forum or in-game account.  I'm not going to give them any help if they haven't figured it out already.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #63 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Let me point a couple of things out:

Mockduck's job is to police his forums.  He is not policing our forums, but he is following our links to trouble spots o his own.  Are we trying to say he can't do his job if he finds the link from the Vault?  Guess what, that's a no-brainer from his point of view -- he'll take the ban any day of the week.  Him finding it here is just saving him time -- are we going to say he has to find them on his own?  That's not a realistic solution.  Anything on the DDO forums are going to have to follow their rules, or we're going to get hit with the rolled up newspaper.

So where is the dividing line?  And what is the problem?

The problem is that the punishment was excessively harsh for the supposed crime.  Two public links were provided, and ZERO personally identifiable information was transmitted.  The issue is whether or not Vault members are being targetted for excessive moderation because they are on the Vault.  We've asked if this is the case, and I know I don't have an answer to my PM's.  Maybe some of the others of you have gotten some info back, but not me.

If Vault members are going to be treated like every other person on the forums, then I have no problem with them staying.

If Vault members are going to get special treatment, then Turbine's employees should expect the same special treatment from us.

Thus far Turbine has been quite mum on the subject.  Evidence points to us being treated more harshly though.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:47pm by Inkblack »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #64 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:45pm:
The problem is that the punishment was excessively harsh for the supposed crime.  Two public links were provided, and ZERO personally identifiable information was transmitted.  The issue is whether or not Vault members are being targetted for excessive moderation because they are on the Vault.  We've asked if this is the case, and I know I don't have an answer to my PM's.  Maybe some of the others of you have gotten some info back, but not me.

They aren't going to answer that, since they don't talk about moderation.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #65 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:06pm:
They aren't going to answer that, since they don't talk about moderation.

Which is just a stupid fucking policy. Yes I understand the need for quite enforcement in some cases but if you let people talk about what happened and display why you took the actions you did you can establish a clear line or code for the users to follow. With the lack of transparency in their enforcement they seem to be policing the forum according to their own whims. The only "beneficial" thing about forbidding the lack of discussion about modding policies is that you dont have to set precedents and that allows you to enforce however you want.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Re: No F3rnando?
Reply #66 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:35pm:
I never noticed that before.

Surprised Jonny hasn't changed his name to as well.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:15pm by Maxwell Edison »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #67 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Using their user names doesn't feel right to me. Strakeln used to have them in the reserved names list. There isn't a rule against it. I just don't like it.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #68 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:17pm:
Using their user names doesn't feel right to me. Strakeln used to have them in the reserved names list. There isn't a rule against it. I just don't like it.

Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #69 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Jerry damn well ought to be ashamed of himself over this whole situation. It was a craven and low-class thing to have done, and if I had a vote he'd loose his Vault privileges permanently.

And that's all I have to say on the matter.

I now await the retribution  on the official forums for my saying so with baited breath.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:39pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #70 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I tried changing mine to to see what the word sub would do.  I was promptly informed that I had a banned or censored word in my displayed name.

Edited:
That sub really is fucking hilarious, second only to the boobies one
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:48pm by Nevynn »  
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #71 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:17pm:

If you really don't like it I'll change it back. I just changed it because I thought it would be funny, and it is.

I'm going to change it back anyway soon. there is just some thing i want to do sense the opportunity is here first.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:49pm by JC »  

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #72 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:47pm:
If you really don't like it I'll change it back. I just changed it because I thought it would be funny, and it is.

You think a lot of things are funny that maybe others find not so much.

I am sure you will find another reason to spam something else in a short time.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #73 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:42pm:
Genius.

Strakeln is the genius.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Re: No F3rnando?
Reply #74 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:14pm:
Surprised Jonny hasn't changed his name to http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Fernando4.png as well.

Nope, I'm with Stainer on this one. I will poke a little fun and mock a little bit, but I won't impersonate. Besides I'm much to vain to not use my own name  Grin

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint