Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dragonmarked Artificer (Read 2501 times)
wowo
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Dragonmarked Artificer
Nov 10th, 2011 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
So I'm hitting the challenges daily to try to chip away at the favour to unlock Artificer.

As soon as I get it unlocked I'll (probably) TR my sorcerer into an Artificer.

The most important thing that I want to get out of this build is the full +20 crafting levels from cannith dragonmarks and pure artificer.

However, should I go melee or ranged? I know exactly how a ranged build would look but the melee is a lot trickier to make work and generally more marginal. That said, there is some nice synergy with epic Chimaera's Fang/Crown so I am inspired to look into it more.

Human, pure Artificer, 34 point build
S 16, D 8, C 15, I 18+, W 8, C 8

Feats (13): THF*3, DM*3, PA, Toughness, Empower, Maximise, Construct Essence, Augment Summoning, Insightful Reflexes

Ranged DPS is still decent with Endless Fusillade and either Insightful Strikes or Insightful Damage.

Does epic Chimaera's Crown bonus HP correctly stack with everything? (Not much point if it doesn't ...)

Has anyone tried a build like this? Is it fun to level up? Is it viable at cap?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Dragonmarked Artificer
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
1. Level the arti to 20 sans-dragon marks
2. LR at 20 to get the feats so you're not gimped like mad from 1-19
3. ???
4. Profit!

It's what I'd do, if I was interested in making an arti craft-bot.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Leveled one on Lamannia with Dragonmarks, the free healing from the marks was pretty nice with the limited spell points.

IP Logged

wowo
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 1:19am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Nov 11th, 2011 at 12:45pm:
1. Level the arti to 20 sans-dragon marks
2. LR at 20 to get the feats so you're not gimped like mad from 1-19
3. ???
4. Profit!

It's what I'd do, if I was interested in making an arti craft-bot.

I've thought a bit about when to take the DMs.

Two decent options that I see:
1. Take them at 16, 18 and 20. Everything else important is already acquired by this stage so it neatly bypasses the need for an expensive LR.
2. Take them reasonably soon. Having non-interruptible free healing for self (if CE is taken) or clanky could be reasonably valuable.

Overall I prefer option 1. The more important question is to know how the melee artificer performs while leveling up and at cap or if I'd be better off going with a straight ranged build.

IP Logged

MartinusWyllt
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
wowo wrote on Nov 12th, 2011 at 1:19am:
The more important question is to know how the melee artificer performs while leveling up and at cap or if I'd be better off going with a straight ranged build.

While I have not tried the melee option the ranged option is fantastic. Taking point blank shot, rapid fire, precise shot, etc. makes DDO like playing Doom or Castle Wolfenstein, hilarious. You can solo everything soloable on elite with only minor twink/crafted gear. Past somewhere around level 12-15 the lesser power of ranged combat started being felt, but by 15 with blade barrier then, later, tactical detonation, the repeater just became something to do.

Comparing my wizard experience to my artificer experience...the wizard could put out a lot more damage in a shorter time, but could only sustain that for the life of the blue bar. The artificer can bring some blue bar pain but still has measurable DPS when that's all gone.

On my 19th level artificer I went with dodge/mobility/shot on the run, and that's a lot of fun. On my TR'd cleric I'm taking the DMs, he's only at 11th level so far. Not feeling the pain.

Stats that I went with:
11, 16, 14, 17, 8, 8...13 str on my TR, just to help carry all the flipping bags around...cha might have had been better.

I haven't been thrilled with construct essence, either. I need to dump it as I can reliably use heal scrolls, anyway.

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I've done 2x marks of passage on mine. She's ranged with level ups in int. I thought at first that I was totally gimping her and having fun by having ddoor at level 6 but the more I think about it the more it's not so bad. Artis get a lot of feats. Style of play is very much not-get-hit keeping the reflex save high and not having to have a stack of expeditious retreat wands is nice. With the turret damage, and the dog and turret as body blockers, this is very much a play style decision. Higher levels it maybe problematic. I have no intention of taking construct essence. Doggie is going to have as many hp as I can get on him with items tailored to debuff mobs as I don't actually expect him to kill stuff much. I was creating her as a crafter with the intention of swapping over to the crafing feats but she's so much fun I may actually take her seriously.

Most likely insightful damage. The most tricky choice that. I should ask Aggrim and Clean about how they play that.

IP Logged

(.)
Waterworks Kobold

Ebading a van XD

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 4:55pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint