Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Bard build question... (Read 28336 times)
furbyoats
Stormreaver Piker

One stroke at a time...

Bard build question...
Mar 17th, 2012 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Currently have a Horc 16 bard/2 fighter/ 2 barb.

considering tr'ing into a 34 pt Human 16 bard/2 rogue/2 fighter.

Not familiar with this split...any advice would be welcome.

possible starting stats:

Str - 16
Dex - 15
Con - 16
Int - 12
Wis - 8
Cha - 10

kinda just guessing as i go on feats...twf line and toughnesses...maybe hamstring if nothing else seems to fill the slot. khopesh proficiency with the ftr class feat.

Any advice or templates to check out would be appreciated. Thanks

Ungood wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Queens don't have dicks.

Atenhotep wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 1:56am:
I spend every evening naked in a fetal position crying because my penis is so small.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Re: Bard build question...
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Running  a HElf 34 point up with the same split.

STR 18
CON16
CHA 14
INT 10
rest dumpeded.

Pally Dillitante is amazeballs atm. Reflex of 30 buffed easily and room to improved.

I went THF because it's easier and with Bards having a non-full BaB, and eSoS is perfect for them Cheesy

Feats I went:
Extend
Hamstring
iCrit:slash
PA *prereq for WC*
Quickdraw
Toughness
WF: slash *prereq for WC*

still have my last fighter feat and my lvl 18 feat left (lvl 15 and holding back) for  Improved Sunder and Maximize. May trade Extend for Mx though and pick up Stunning Blow to work with  IS.

Next life (once all her gear is finally done) I'll be going HOrc for the +16 total damage mod to THF and extra STR. If you're going TWF, Human is a perfect choice, HElf being a close second. I say Human over HElf for the extra feat and skill points. I'm definitely lacking in trap skills for elites.

Let me know if you need any more ideas.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
here's mine. 18 str and con.
http://my.ddo.com/character/sarlona/gustavi/

Took the TWF feats, but I'll likely be dropping them. Might take stunning blow. and maybe another toughness.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 17th, 2012 at 10:05pm:
here's mine. 18 str and con.
http://my.ddo.com/character/sarlona/gustavi/

Took the TWF feats, but I'll likely be dropping them. Might take stunning blow. and maybe another toughness.

Well with an eSoS why would you take TWF feats anyhow? Cheesy

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Well with an eSoS why would you take TWF feats anyhow? Cheesy

meant THF  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 17th, 2012 at 10:29pm:
meant THF  Embarrassed

It's ok rest. We knew what you meant, even if your brain had a Bazinga moment.

IP Logged

ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/leuslse

Here's mine. 2wf because I like it. Bracers and gloves will eventually be claw set.

Starting stats were:
18 str
15 dex
16 con
8 int
8 wis
12 cha

I don't remember feats at what level, but I took extend, all the 2wf feats, toughness, IC: Slash, and the WC requirements.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2012 at 3:09pm by ZeroBoost »  

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
On a melee Bard, for your level 18 feat, should you take Maximize for the healing bump, or Stunning Blow since I'll have a stupid high STR for a bard.

Or should I drop Extend for Maximize?

IP Logged

ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
On a melee Bard, for your level 18 feat, should you take Maximize for the healing bump, or Stunning Blow since I'll have a stupid high STR for a bard.

Or should I drop Extend for Maximize?

I would never drop extend for maximize on a bard that isn't pure. I like my 3 min or so displaces and hastes. But that's just me.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
ZeroBoost wrote on Mar 18th, 2012 at 5:31pm:
I would never drop extend for maximize on a bard that isn't pure. I like my 3 min or so displaces and hastes. But that's just me.

Extend
Hamstring
Toughness
Quickdraw
WF: Slash
iCrit: Slash
Improved Sunder

Paladin dilly for +5 to saves.

One feat left, will it be Maximize or SB?

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Extend
Hamstring
Toughness
Quickdraw
WF: Slash
iCrit: Slash
Improved Sunder

Paladin dilly for +5 to saves.

One feat left, will it be Maximize or SB?

If you die because you could not get a scroll or cure off I will laugh Smiley

Do you really need Hamstring and Quickdraw? Hamstring only slows down the attacks of Pit Fiends and does a bard need to save a second or so activating boosts?

What else is worth hamstringing?

If you can land the IS then that is worth keeping, much more useful than hamstring or quickdraw.

I would probably take Quicken, and swap out hamstring and quickdraw for Max and SB.

Will you have a DC42+ SB?

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

furbyoats
Stormreaver Piker

One stroke at a time...

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
ZeroBoost wrote on Mar 18th, 2012 at 1:23pm:
http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/leuslse

Here's mine. 2wf because I like it. Bracers and gloves will eventually be claw set.

Starting stats were:
18 str
15 dex
16 con
8 int
8 wis
12 cha

I don't remember feats at what level, but I took extend, all the 2wf feats, toughness, IC: Slash, and the WC requirements.

Do you have any to-hit issues with this build? I'll probably do something similar but more INT less CHA...going to play around in a planner and see how viable trap skills are or if they are just out of reach.

The current build was like the other one listed in the thread...I'd like to work in rogue levels for rogue-ish stuff and to get evasion (with a decent save, doesn't have to be top of the line.)

The bard/barb/fighter split plays fine, was fun as hell to level but...just seems to take way too much damage since dex was completely dumped and the saves are dogshit.

This is the current version of my bard: http://my.ddo.com/character/argonnessen/salsasnack/

By no means is it geared out or anything...basically made it to fascinate ev6.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2012 at 11:26pm by furbyoats »  

Ungood wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Queens don't have dicks.

Atenhotep wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 1:56am:
I spend every evening naked in a fetal position crying because my penis is so small.

IP Logged

ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:44am
Print Post  
furbyoats wrote on Mar 18th, 2012 at 11:24pm:
Do you have any to-hit issues with this build? I'll probably do something similar but more INT less CHA...going to play around in a planner and see how viable trap skills are or if they are just out of reach.

The current build was like the other one listed in the thread...I'd like to work in rogue levels for rogue-ish stuff and to get evasion (with a decent save, doesn't have to be top of the line.)

The bard/barb/fighter split plays fine, was fun as hell to level but...just seems to take way too much damage since dex was completely dumped and the saves are dogshit.

This is the current version of my bard: http://my.ddo.com/character/argonnessen/salsasnack/

By no means is it geared out or anything...basically made it to fascinate ev6.

I've noticed misses on some of the higher AC mobs but destruction and divine power both help.

I ran the same 16/2/2 bard/ftr/barb split to cap, but LR'd at 20 when I started doing eVoN6. Evasion is much more useful than a mini rage.

I can't speak for trap skill, as I rarely use them. But I can see and disable the traps in a hard VoD, if that means anything..

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Mar 18th, 2012 at 7:15pm:
If you die because you could not get a scroll or cure off I will laugh Smiley

Do you really need Hamstring and Quickdraw? Hamstring only slows down the attacks of Pit Fiends and does a bard need to save a second or so activating boosts?

What else is worth hamstringing?

If you can land the IS then that is worth keeping, much more useful than hamstring or quickdraw.

I would probably take Quicken, and swap out hamstring and quickdraw for Max and SB.

Will you have a DC42+ SB?

Quickdraw also lessens the time between swapping weapon sets, wands and scrolls. Ie, faster swap from the SOS to the heal scroll. I like Hamstring while leveling solo. If I get in troubke with a boss mob, I can hamstring it and run away while I heal. I've noticed it slows down attacks on trolls and ogres too btw.

42+? No. High enough that the -3 fort from imp sunder will hit it down a good enough bit? Totally.

This build is currently tons better than Wars last life. I think the 14/4/2 is still more fun and higher dps, but with sp many stalwart ac builds running about, ac song is actually worth it.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quickdraw also lessens the time between swapping weapon sets, wands and scrolls. Ie, faster swap from the SOS to the heal scroll. I like Hamstring while leveling solo. If I get in troubke with a boss mob, I can hamstring it and run away while I heal. I've noticed it slows down attacks on trolls and ogres too btw.

42+? No. High enough that the -3 fort from imp sunder will hit it down a good enough bit? Totally.

This build is currently tons better than Wars last life. I think the 14/4/2 is still more fun and higher dps, but with sp many stalwart ac builds running about, ac song is actually worth it.

Cool, that explains it well. I didn't consider Quickdraw benefiting scroll swapping like that. Is it night and day noticeable?

I still think hamstring is the weakest of the feats, once you cap, though. If it slowed attack and movement on everything, it would be a winner. I liked it for ToD until we started using mostly ac tanks in there.

Can you fit in a challenge belt for the SB dc or are you already including that?

Looks like something I might TR my Bard into actually.

Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:42pm:
Cool, that explains it well. I didn't consider Quickdraw benefiting scroll swapping like that. Is it night and day noticeable?

I still think hamstring is the weakest of the feats, once you cap, though. If it slowed attack and movement on everything, it would be a winner. I liked it for ToD until we started using mostly ac tanks in there.

Can you fit in a challenge belt for the SB dc or are you already including that?

Looks like something I might TR my Bard into actually.

I might swap Hamstring for SB and take Max at 18.

Quickdraw is also nice since I'm HElf with HV4 and haste boost Cheesy Can activate boosts almost at the same time.

Hadn't really given the Challenge Belt much thought tbh. Can I slot GFL on it? But then where would Con6 go if I choose to wear my Torc? It might be nice in Epics where I'd need the +5 to SB, but honestly, I have other toons to run Epics with atm Tongue

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:25am
Print Post  
If you have cleave, you don't need quickdraw.  Unless this was fixed in the last couple months.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:25am:
If you have cleave, you don't need quickdraw.  Unless this was fixed in the last couple months.

It has. And if I have Quickdraw, I don't need cleave.

Swapped SB in for Hamstring. Best decision ever.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Quote:
It has. And if I have Quickdraw, I don't need cleave.

Swapped SB in for Hamstring. Best decision ever.

Sucks that they fixed it then.  ONTH, Mr. Official Gimp Leader of Non Crimson Robes, the difference is "night and day".

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:59am:
Sucks that they fixed it then.  ONTH, Mr. Official Gimp Leader of Non Crimson Robes, the difference is "night and day".

It really only helped boosts. Weapon swapping was better sped up by quickdraw.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
It really only helped boosts. Weapon swapping was better sped up by quickdraw.

Boosts > Weapon Swap

I had quickdraw on my ranger though... It was amazeballs.  I liked to switch to a dagger after manyshot so I could outdps myself.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:42am by Epoch »  

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #21 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Quote:
I might swap Hamstring for SB and take Max at 18.

Quickdraw is also nice since I'm HElf with HV4 and haste boost Cheesy Can activate boosts almost at the same time.

Hadn't really given the Challenge Belt much thought tbh. Can I slot GFL on it? But then where would Con6 go if I choose to wear my Torc? It might be nice in Epics where I'd need the +5 to SB, but honestly, I have other toons to run Epics with atm Tongue

What is in your cloak slot?

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 10:34am:
What is in your cloak slot?

Mantle right now. Thinking eEnvenomed?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #23 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I like the 3 piece on my bard -> Cloak/Helm/Boots. I miss my cha skills conc opp cloak sometimes, but I keep it to swap into for fascinating in EV6.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Hamstring?  SERIOUSLY?  Let's throw in Skill Focus: Swim while we're at it.  Jesusfuck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint