Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Caster Help (Read 16712 times)
Blank
Ex Member

Re: Caster Help
Reply #25 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
If I'm going for DCs to run scroll farming (eclaw, echrono, von5, eoob/ewk starter rooms) what kind of gear will I need to look at?

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #26 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If I'm going for DCs to run scroll farming (eclaw, echrono, von5, eoob/ewk starter rooms) what kind of gear will I need to look at?

3.5 +7 Int item - probably epic Diabloist Docent
1.5 +3 excep Int - single-shard GS weap easiest, followed by TOD ring (no one but newb PMs rolls on the PM ring IME)
1.5 +3 Int tome - worth buying an unbound one if you can afford and don't have already
1.0 +2 Int capstone - get to 20
1.0 +2 Int yugo pot - get your yugo favor
2.0 +2 Int ship, Phiarlan ship - have a guild
0.5 +1 Int Litany - run Abbot
2.0 Greater Necro Focus - crafted ring or Death's Touch
1.0 Wiz past life active - have a past life

eWK front room is a terrible place to farm IME as a PM, dunno if it's better on an AM. Just takes too long to kill those 30 gnolls one by one, and if you try to group them up you end up with a ton of incoming DPS and getting tripped by hyenas. I much prefer ATDQ - you can seal farm ATDQ and scroll farm the pit at the end super easy. eWK can be worth soloing (as in the whole thing) for funsies though.

IP Logged

green00_00
Butterface

DDO Vault Failure

Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
i found scroll farming takes less gearing than running with groups for completion.  my wiz's last life was a 2nd life WF AM necro specd.  he was my original main so he was pretty geared with raid gear, but not much as far as epic gear went.  my necro DCs were right around 40 iirc.

while scroll farming epics, i would throw the negative level drain SLA, negative level drain spell, then wail.  then negative level drain SLA, negative level drain spell, then finger. finger till wail recharged, then wail.  finger and wail would be effective 80-90% of the time doing this.

this worked great for 'the last stand'.  with using the shrine, id make it through 3 rounds (or 4 idk i cant remember) before id get overwhelmed, that dude would die, or id run out of SP.  VoN1 was also another good farming quest with this strategy.  even for grouping, you could fill a role of an offensive casters decently well with this strategy.  in eCrono for instance, with all those trash mobs running around, you can be fairly beneficial to a group by taking out the casters/archers with 3 casts.

the only issue is SP management as you said.  it becomes a problem in groups, but when scroll farming you just recall and reset.  with scroll farming, the goal is killing the most mobs as quickly as possible so this is a pretty efficient strategy in that regard imo.

im sure epic gearing, yugo pots, +4 tomes, litany of the dead, and all those things i didnt have would make it a whole lot easier, but its a good stop gap along the way.  id imagine fully geared youd be pretty successful with just SLA level drain then instakill spell which would do alot for SP conservation.

[Color=red][Size=6][b][center]But you'll notice, not butterdick[\center][\b][\Size][\color]

Apparently I cannot figure out signatures.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
scrolled recon works well on the WF AM.

I also like the ench/conj. Made that toon my soul farmer. Heighten is nice for the web SLA, that can carry you with a group though a lot of low-mana and not drinking a pot area.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Well, he capped. Not doing too bad using Web/Ice Storm on most trash. If it's a large enough group I've done Symbol of Death followed by wail with a web in the symbol to group em nicer...

only a 38 save still, but I know I'm missing a ton (+7 int and +3 exceptional to start). Anything else I might need?

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Do you have a Petitioner's yet?

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
I posted like three times already to run Abbot.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Congratulations?

IP Logged

Deeds
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I dont see -1 DC as really game-breaking. My WF AM has 44 Necro, 43 Web and 42 enchant.

Feats:
-GSF: Necro
-SF: Conjuration
-SF: Enchant
-PL: Wizard

Enhancements:
-Primary AM Focus: Necro
-Secondary AM Focus: Conjuration (for 3sp webs)

Gear:
-eDiabolist Docent (+3 conjuration)
-Rahkirs ring: +3 exceptional int
-crafted Bracers: +2 necro, large slot
-crafted Scepter: +2 enchant, electric absorb 33%
-Yugo pots

On my 2nd life, I had litany and +3 int tome but this life I nommed my +4 int tome and wear a vibrant purple in trinket slot for +2 spellpen. I banked my eShaman band and this frees up a ring slot for another tod ring or such.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:14pm by Deeds »  

Also, penis.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Deeds wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:12pm:
I dont see -1 DC as really game-breaking. My WF AM has 44 Necro, 43 Web and 42 enchant.

Feats:
-GSF: Necro
-SF: Conjuration
-SF: Enchant
-PL: Wizard

Enhancements:
-Primary AM Focus: Necro
-Secondary AM Focus: Conjuration (for 3sp webs)

Gear:
-eDiabolist Docent (+3 conjuration)
-Rahkirs ring: +3 exceptional int
-crafted Bracers: +2 necro, large slot
-crafted Scepter: +2 enchant, electric absorb 33%
-Yugo pots

On my 2nd life, I had litany and +3 int tome but this life I nommed my +4 int tome and wear a vibrant purple in trinket slot for +2 spellpen. I banked my eShaman band and this frees up a ring slot for another tod ring or such.

Seeing as sceptres are one handed, what is in your offhand?

IP Logged

Deeds
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Im currently using Epic Ornamented Dagger for the maximise clickies and Superior Potency VII (for recons). It is also slotted with GFL.

I have the rahkirs set and noxious embers for my nuking (9%crit, +.50 crit multiplier and another 5 maximise clickies).

Also, penis.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #36 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 7:08am
Print Post  
If you're struggling with mana managment try and get all the mana boosting stuff.  I suck as well with mana so I put myslef through the grind to get :

Conc Opp
Torc
Bauble
Twisted Talisman (Norm + Epic for 8 charges)
Vile Blasphemy(s).
I do run EDQ for the pipe dream that is EROSS, but not holding my breath on that one.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2012 at 7:09am by Calvet »  

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Calvet wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 7:08am:
If you're struggling with mana managment try and get all the mana boosting stuff.  I suck as well with mana so I put myslef through the grind to get :

Conc Opp
Torc
Bauble
Twisted Talisman (Norm + Epic for 8 charges)
Vile Blasphemy(s).
I do run EDQ for the pipe dream that is EROSS, but not holding my breath on that one.

Where did you slot Concopp? I'm thinking Gloves :/

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #38 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Gloves is the default for arcane. +45 HP/+5 con skills (concentration)/conopp.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:

OOB is a different beast.  You won't be instakilling Drow there.  If you want to farm Sands scrolls, I suggest clearing Wiz King.  It's a couple of hundred mobs if you include the basement, and you get a bunch of chests too.  You can web the clay golems in traps, and they'll eventually go berserk and attack each other (and can attack Rayium too, which is hilarious).  Epic Robe of Dissonance is $$ against Sound Burst in the WK front room.  Totally not necessary, but it makes it trivial.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #40 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
I find the front room in Wiz King to be really easy no matter what caster I'm on - even my crappy Wiz18/Rog2 first life character back before I had any gear at all and before I actually knew how to play a caster.

Run around the room and aggro all of the gnolls.  Go to the northeast shrine in that room.  Jump up on the stone blocks from a spot right next to the rest shrine.  The gnolls now can no longer target you when you're hiding up there unless you poke your head out.  All you have to do is poke your head out to drop a Wall of Fire or an Ice Storm and then cower back in the corner for 30 seconds.  If you want to, you can start with a Symbol of Death and a Circle of Death to knock some HP off the top with the neg level effect from each.

After you kill all the gnolls, all that's left is cleanup for the dogs.  Just run around the room until you gather them up, drop a quickened Symbol of Death and run the dogs through that for 30 seconds.  No matter how bad your DC is, a Wail will still kill those dogs after they have 8 or 10 negative levels.

fnord

IP Logged

Deeds
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Ive always found edq1 to be easier and faster for scroll farming. Just the standard agro and drop mobs into scorp pit and nuke from the left ledge. After you clear all the reavers and efreets from the main platform, you can either clear the other rooms or just monkey and then invite friends/guildies for the three chests.

Also, penis.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I've seem wizking, oob and dq1 farming.

Oob scorpion pit, wk platform and dq scorpion pot seem easy enough. I guess I get variety then too! Smiley

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Just got a skiver. I'm happy Smiley

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #44 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Where did you slot Concopp? I'm thinking Gloves :/

Gloves is solid choice atm.  Not much to put there as a perma item right now.  I swap in the blasphemy for clicky, but it goes back to the con opp HP which gets healed quickly (45 lost hp) by the death aura that's running more often than not.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Just out of curiosity - why farm Sands? Buying 3 trash sands scrolls is still pretty cheap if you need something specific.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Just out of curiosity - why farm Sands? Buying 3 trash sands scrolls is still pretty cheap if you need something specific.

Scrolls are a by product of seal farming edq1

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Scrolls are a by product of seal farming edq1

Ah, gotcha.

I was panicking for a moment, and went back through the u13 release notes to make sure they didn't remove the scroll trader.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Ah, gotcha.

I was panicking for a moment, and went back through the u13 release notes to make sure they didn't remove the scroll trader.

If I can farm it, I will. At least til I get tired of it.

But when you need desert scrolls, and none of them are considered junk anymore ....

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #49 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
<3 my conc opp hp gloves on my wizard. best slot. For me second best is helm (and it is my second item), because i like having epic spirit sights on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint