Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) The New Power Attack (Read 8749 times)
substrate
Dragon Raider

Re: The New Power Attack
Reply #25 - May 17th, 2012 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 2:18pm:
I need someone to break everything down without numbers. Should I have PA on if I am playing a barb,ftr, ranger and should I get rid of it on my wf FvS?

I heard something about PA causing all spells to recharge 3x its normal cooldown. Would make PA rather unattractive for fvs if true.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #26 - May 17th, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
substrate wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 5:42pm:
I heard something about PA causing all spells to recharge 3x its normal cooldown. Would make PA rather unattractive for fvs if true.

This would require the assumption that Woodburing actually healed anyone.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

substrate
Dragon Raider

Reply #27 - May 17th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 6:00pm:

All fvs should wear madstone boots. It's more hp baby!

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - May 17th, 2012 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 2:18pm:
I need someone to break everything down without numbers. Should I have PA on if I am playing a barb,ftr, ranger and should I get rid of it on my wf FvS?

Assuming twitching: generally speaking, if your "modified AB" (my term, which i define as AB + 10.5) is significantly greater than mob AC (~1.5x~1.6x or higher), then PA is basically always worth using.  If your modified AB is in the same range as AC (less than ~1.4x AC), then PA is basically NEVER worth using. 

Pluggin in some real numbers, 1.33x AC is the breakeven for 200 dmg/swing and a PA of 10 (=20 dmg/hit).  If you have less than 1.33x in this case, don't use PA.  Above 1.33x, you're technically better off using PA, but in this gray area, the difference is very very marginal, that you're probably best off not using PA just to be on the safe side.  PA is really only worth using when you can leverage the fact that losing AB doesn't actually decrease your hit chance (~1.6x or higher).  It's also worth noting that the more damage you're doing, the less you want to be using power attack. 

Basically, I think this is more or less the same as u13.  However, it does put much more emphasis on mob AC, since the ratio matters now (as opposed to the difference as it was before).  So whether PA is a worthwhile feat really depends on how high they're going to make mob AC.  If I had to guess, I'd say that low AB characters will want to strongly reconsider.  There are a lot of nice melee feats available that PA isn't a "must have" anymore. 

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012 at 7:00pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Infant
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - May 17th, 2012 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
substrate wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 5:42pm:

confirmed as a bug afaik.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #30 - May 18th, 2012 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Infant wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 8:00pm:
confirmed as a bug afaik.

But if they don't fix it, it'll turn into a feature!  Cheesy

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #31 - May 18th, 2012 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 9:46am:
Therefore, at higher levels, if you are doing 200 points of damage or less per swing without PA, using PA will never reduce your DPS and always has the potential to increase it. 

This is assuming THF, and neglecting glancing blows, correct?
Since the benefit of PA for TWF is something between 9  and 10 (depending on extra offhand chances), I have the feeling that the corresponding number (for off-hand and mainhand together) will be something of 180-200 damage per attack.

Rogues could be better off without PA (assuming they need the feat) in situations where they get almost full SA damage (keeping in mind the following fortification reducers: 10 opportunist, 4 destruction, 8 improved destruction, 10 imp. sunder = -32).
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 7:49am by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #32 - May 18th, 2012 at 9:45am
Print Post  
JC wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 1:06pm:
I just woke up and crawled out of bed.

Also, as of right now my new avatar is very appropriate.

It reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg-QtwoREh8

JC, is that you?

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #33 - May 18th, 2012 at 11:15am
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 7:45am:
Since the benefit of PA for TWF is something between 9  and 10 (depending on extra offhand chances), I have the feeling that the corresponding number (for off-hand and mainhand together) will be something of 180-200 damage per attack.

Rogues could be better off without PA (assuming they need the feat) in situations where they get almost full SA damage (keeping in mind the following fortification reducers: 10 opportunist, 4 destruction, 8 improved destruction, 10 imp. sunder = -32).

Yes, sorry, I didn't specify that in the OP.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #34 - May 18th, 2012 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on May 17th, 2012 at 6:00pm:

FvSs get healing spells?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - May 18th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 7:45am:

I'm not sure how you get that conclusion, but that's clearly not the case.  You still need a higher AB to be able to use PA correctly and improve your DPS.

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #36 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:47am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on May 18th, 2012 at 4:11pm:
I'm not sure how you get that conclusion, but that's clearly not the case.

What is clearly not the case?
Quote:
You still need a higher AB to be able to use PA correctly and improve your DPS.

I wasn't implying that you did not need a high AB to use 'PA correctly'.

In order to make up for, e.g., 5% of to-hit lost when otherwise missing only on a 1, 95% times the damage dealt per hit has to be less than 90% of the damage dealt per hit + 7, i.e. the damage has to be 126, which fits kinda well to the 180 damage per mainhand attack (including offhand damage) I was mentioning earlier.

Edited:
I needed to include the bonus damage through PA via crits, hence the greater number.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 5:56am by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - May 19th, 2012 at 6:19am
Print Post  
I was referring to schmoe's statement:

"Therefore, at higher levels, if you are doing 200 points of damage or less per swing without PA, using PA will never reduce your DPS and always has the potential to increase it.  "

That is wrong.

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #38 - May 19th, 2012 at 7:30am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 6:19am:
I was referring to schmoe's statement:

"Therefore, at higher levels, if you are doing 200 points of damage or less per swing without PA, using PA will never reduce your DPS and always has the potential to increase it.  "

That is wrong. 

Then LRN2QUOTE. Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint