Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) The beautiful story of dungeon tokens (Read 16559 times)
Azog
Ex Member

Re: The beautiful story of dungeon tokens
Reply #25 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:28am:
What error message are you getting?

I will have to get it running again, and see what comes up. I had quite a lot of troubles with that PC, I installed windows xp new in a new hard disk and the PC runs...fine I think, but I have only tried to play DDO on it.

When I started DDO and the turbine logo came up, the computer just shuts down and restarts.
No blue screen blah blah. Just black screen "pip" sound and restart.
Do not worry about the restart, as it is something that that PC was doing quite from the beginning, suddenly restarting.
I think the motherboard and / or graphic card are just too old (I bought it 2004) and somehow broken. Or it is just the power supply that fails. I just have no idea.

Strange thing is I get DDO running in a much older PC with a chip graphic card. Sure, very low resolution and really shit to play, but IT RUNS.
I will give it a try this weekend and check the error messages / dump files / kobolds.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:56am:
Alright I'm gonna help you even more.

Much easier to make symbolic links rather than copying the game.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=365842

Quote:
This can be handy if you don't have multiple physical drives from which to run each instance or if you have a speedy drive (ssd or ramdrive or whatever) where storage space is an issue.

Try at your own risk, some understanding of how Windows works required, if something blows up my plan has met with success, and, no, you can't log in multiple characters from the same account simultaneously (though that would be a good vip perk).

Step 1 - Make a symbolic directory pointing to your DDO installation directory.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit as administrator example:

Use the Windows mklink utility to create the symbolic link.

mklink /D \fakeDirectory \real\DDO\Directory

on my machine, it looks like this:

mklink /D c:\fakeDDO "c:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\"

Windows XP Pro example:

Download the junction utility from microsoft if you don't already have it.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896768.aspx

junction \fakeDirectory \realDDO\Directory

on my old machine, it looks like this:

junction c:\fakeDDO "e:\Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\"

Step 2 - Create a shortcut pointing to turbineinvoker.exe in the "new" directory.

Step 3 - Start up DDO using both the original shortcut and the new shortcut.

Step 4 - Log in the first account, alt-tab, and log in the second account.

Notes:

If anything patched, let your original install finish patching before hitting the new shortcut.

On the launcher, if you click the down arrow, select Options, pick the Advanced tab, and check the "Show the launcher in the system tray" box, you will be able to log back in an account that is logged out/timed out/memory leak crashed without being required to logout all accounts first.

You can run more than two instances at a time (just make more symbolic directories and shortcuts with different names), but keep in mind each one will need a gig or so of ram to play with.

Just as a final example, here are the contents of the .bat file I use to fire up DDO; sets up a ramdrive, copies the ddo directory from my hard drive to the ramdrive, creates a symbolic link to the ddo directory on the ramdrive, and fires up two instances of DDO:

imdisk -a -s 9700M -m F: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"
xcopy "c:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\*" f:\ /E
mklink /D f:\fakeDDO\ "f:\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\"
"f:\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\turbineinvoker.exe"
f:\fakeDDO\turbineinvoker.exe

Edit: I hadn't meant for this to be a tutorial on setting up a ramdisk, but, oh well. You can find imdisk (freeware tool that can, among other things, make a ramdisk) here:
http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/

Take a peek at the total size of your ddo directory (plus a bit for screenshots or future patches), toss in a gig or so for each instance of DDO you want to run, and another gig for the devil's cut, and that's at least how much ram you'll need. In my case, my directory size is 8.1G, so rounded up to 9G for the size of the ramdisk. Toss in 2G for each of two instances of DDO, and another gig for Windows, and I need a total of 12G of ram. Deathsapprentice down in post 9 has some excellent insights on how to go about reducing the ram required.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #27 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Maybe I should dual box....

If anything, I could xp farm EDs faster Tongue

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

ertay
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Excuse me for actually asking an on topic question, but... do your boxed alts have to be 20 to enter epic mode?

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:00am:
I am part of the 1%.  This is the first time for me.  I feel like peanut butter.

Epoch, why do you feel like peanut butter?

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I think he means "I feel THE peanut butter".

IP Logged

Bahgoon
Stormreaver Piker

Get off my lawn!

Reply #31 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
ertay wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:43pm:
Excuse me for actually asking an on topic question, but... do your boxed alts have to be 20 to enter epic mode?

For the purposes of this experiment, you can consider 'boxed alt' equivalent to 'random (tame) PUGger' as the alts all need to be on separate accounts.

So, can you get random PUGs under level 20 into an epic with you? I don't know, never done an epic in me life. The concept is the same, though.

The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.   - Edward Gibbon

IP Logged

NUDS
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 2:30pm
Print Post  

AFAIK for entering Epics the minimum level is 20+.  Which is why this method of farming doesn't seem that efficient in terms of effort/rewards.

For starters you need hardware capable of handling multiple instances of DDO, which isn't that difficult if your rig was built within the last 10 years. 

The main issue is having access to the adventure packs as well as being at least level 20. 

Assuming 5 alt accounts for farming Devil Assault, that's 350 TP per account.  Not to mention getting a totally F2P account to level 20 is a pain in the ass.  Alternatively you can purchase VIP for all 5 accounts, which defeats the whole point of making free accounts to farm for tokens/loot.

I made a bunch of accounts when they had the free 500 TP offer for new accounts, stoned one to 16, then realised how much effort is required to box all of them to 20 and just gave up.

I think it's a good idea on paper and probably will be profitable if you have the right hardware(macro keyboards/multiple monitors) as well as a decent amount of time to invest in it.  As far as I can tell though, the effort required is too much bother compared to just farming challenges or something.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #33 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 2:44pm
Print Post  

For quests and raids, yes.

For challenges, no.

Even for challenges, however, you need at least one 20th level character in your party to get into the challenge.

fnord

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
I have three friend that would let me use their accounts...but two of them will reach lvl. 20 the day that priests stop molesting children.
Then I have two other accounts with stoned characters...I tried to get a third one, a PM human, but Sunday evening, a series of events let me 25.000 xp from lvl 8. That was VERY bitter.
It was a mix of Waggro, Naggro and Puggro.

Naggro = Neighborhood "Hey Azog, come here and drink a beer with us". They didn´t let me go the fuckers. After 30 minutes of fucking talk about Indu philosophy, I looked at my watch, made a surprised face "OMG, I have to go" and left running without further explanation.

Puggro = Horrible PUGS of not zerging TR´s that wont let you pike Tear of Dhakaan in peace.
As we where before the STR lever, and nobody could pull it, something died on my interior.
I just went to menu>>>quit. Turned PC off and went to bed.

IP Logged

Torgal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Much easier to make symbolic links rather than copying the game.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=365842

Or you can use a third party ddo launcher, PyLotro found at

http://www.mcgillsociety.org/PyLotRO/index.html#PYLOTRO

The nice thing about this launcher is that it doesn't check to see if DDO is running already so you can start a new client  while already in game and it only requires 1 directory and no symbolic linking.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #36 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
So you solo it then when boss is at 50% you bring the other accounts inside to avoid scaling?

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

eterna1_drag0n
Waterworks Kobold

No!

Reply #37 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Great tips!  But if your Turbine folder is in another directory other than C:/ you will have to use a /"drive letter" to switch to it before it will launch

Ex.

cd /d D:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\DDO Unlimited
start dndlauncher
cd /d D:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine1\DDO Unlimited
start dndlauncher
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:33pm by eterna1_drag0n »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #38 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Quote:

Because everyone is so jelly!

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #39 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 3:05am
Print Post  
whothefuckami wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:36pm:
So you solo it then when boss is at 50% you bring the other accounts inside to avoid scaling?

No, I load all 6 toons, enter on all toons, and solo it on one toon. However, if for some reason I run out of mana, I simply pick up a second toon out of the 6 in the quest.

Note that I only suggested ONE quest. Imagine you need a marilith chain seal, 6 accounts means 6 times more chances to get your seal, and now that you can reset the instance yourself, only walk there once.. Although I'm too lazy to bring 6 accounts for regular questing or raids, I will often bring a second box just to get an extra pull.

I use both my friends accounts and my own accounts (created back when you got 450 free TP for new accounts and stoned. Knowing you still have to run him through 1-8, you'll easily get another 500 TP. eDA costs 350 TP, so no investment).
I agree making 6 accounts is way too much effort. However, sharing accounts pw with your close friends can be a good idea. They get around 50k from eDA and you get 80% to get 2 tokens.

IP Logged

Rodrak
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Rodrak wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 5:43am:
Another reason for running DA now is yellow dopant if you don't want to waste TP on it. The drop rate is 1% on heroic elite and epic hard and 2% on epic elite. So it's better than anywhere else.

EDIT: Forget it... I always miss that extra 10% chance in the 2nd roll, so it's actually 0.1% and 0.2%, totally useless  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I had a friend who did the six box things and farmed things out in quests and became super rich. He would farm out tome pages, and DoDs and greensteel blanks and etc. If I ever had the money/time to do that I would have done it but yeah no... I have a life. The effort is worth the reward though, he was the richest person on the server easily.

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #42 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Good way to get what you want fast, whether it is money, tokens or ingredients, but the "I have a life" argument is bullshit. Started playing for real 1 year ago, that's when I created my toons. I'm a student during the school year and work during the summer. I spend time with my family, I do what needs to be done and I still have a couple of hours left of the day to play DDO. It's all about how you are going to spend those hours, by doing one quest or two or, like me, by spending it as efficiently as possible. And of course, it's a lot more fun for me this way.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:54am:
Good way to get what you want fast, whether it is money, tokens or ingredients, but the "I have a life" argument is bullshit. Started playing for real 1 year ago, that's when I created my toons. I'm a student during the school year and work during the summer. I spend time with my family, I do what needs to be done and I still have a couple of hours left of the day to play DDO. It's all about how you are going to spend those hours, by doing one quest or two or, like me, by spending it as efficiently as possible. And of course, it's a lot more fun for me this way.

Yeah, forgive me for wanting to spend the few hours on DDO that I have not 6 boxing it. I should spend my time more efficiently and doing something extremely inefficient and 6 box it. I guess according to your logic as long as I am efficient I won't even notice I'm six boxing it!

IP Logged

Bahgoon
Stormreaver Piker

Get off my lawn!

Reply #44 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 11:14am:
Yeah, forgive me for wanting to spend the few hours on DDO that I have not 6 boxing it. I should spend my time more efficiently and doing something extremely inefficient and 6 box it. I guess according to your logic as long as I am efficient I won't even notice I'm six boxing it!

Everybody has a different twist when it comes to enjoyment and pleasure. I would rather take an arrow to the knee than play with random puggles so I dual-box. And it isn't like I'm some pariah . . .

OK, maybe that was a bad example.

Let Sith enjoys his way, you enjoy yours and come out punching at the bell. Now break!

Smiley

The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.   - Edward Gibbon

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #45 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:23am:
That being said, I or some of the many others around here could easily build you a computer in your price range to run the game on a high graphics setting and easily dual box. 

You can build a computer right? If not newegg has video instructions, it is also fucking retard easy.

There was a time in my life when I kept up with hardware specs and could build a nice PC for a nice price.  That time is gone.

That being said, what kind of system could someone build for around $300?

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #46 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:25pm:
There was a time in my life when I kept up with hardware specs and could build a nice PC for a nice price.  That time is gone.

That being said, what kind of system could someone build for around $300?

$300 is a bit low to get anything good unless you are recycling some existing parts.  For a gaming rig, shoot for 600-750.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #47 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:34pm:
$300 is a bit low to get anything good unless you are recycling some existing parts.  For a gaming rig, shoot for 600-750.

I could probably recycle motherboard, HD, and RAM.  I definitely need a new case, though.  Never gonna buy a mini-tower again.

Hmm, I was hoping to slide under the "just enough to be good, but not so much it requires a budget" threshold.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:38pm by Schmoe »  

-Waters

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #48 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:38pm:
I could probably recycle motherboard, HD, and RAM.  I definitely need a new case, though.  Never gonna buy a mini-tower again.

Hmm, I was hoping to slide under the "just enough to be good, but not so much it requires a budget" threshold.

You can fish about but a mid-tower case and 750 Watt Power supply (from a decent manufacturer, I don't f' around with cheapo power supplies because it's one of the few components that could fry everything)
but they generally run you about $100 -150 combined.  Graphic's cards another $100 to 150.  It really depends what you are looking at but $300 gets tight fast.  hell, if you have the board, chip, and ram to support it just buy already just buy a really good graphics card and that will give you a huge boost.  Moore's law is pretty much dead.  Processor and bridge speeds are not advancing all that fast any more and the difference between a 4-5 year old quad core and a current chip are mostly unnoticeable unless you are crunching photoshop.

What I'm doing for Siss's new box is buying one component a month..it spreads it out nicely.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #49 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 23rd, 2012 at 12:47pm:
You can fish about but a mid-tower case and 750 Watt Power supply (from a decent manufacturer, I don't f' around with cheapo power supplies because it's one of the few components that could fry everything)
but they generally run you about $100 -150 combined.  Graphic's cards another $100 to 150.  It really depends what you are looking at but $300 gets tight fast.  hell, if you have the board, chip, and ram to support it just buy already just buy a really good graphics card and that will give you a huge boost.  Moore's law is pretty much dead.  Processor and bridge speeds are not advancing all that fast any more and the difference between a 4-5 year old quad core and a current chip are mostly unnoticeable unless you are crunching photoshop.

What I'm doing for Siss's new box is buying one component a month..it spreads it out nicely.

Yeah, my biggest problem is that there's no expansion room in the minitower for a graphics card, so I'm stuck with the factory piece of shit.  The PC is only about 3 years old, but Ice storm and disco ball bring my machine to its knees.  At a minimum I need a new case, power supply, and graphics card.  I think maybe I'd be better off to just stick with those items and consider upgrading other components later as needed.

-Waters

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint