Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Love those software standards..... (Read 6033 times)
siftrant
Korthos Resident

what?

Love those software standards.....
Sep 25th, 2012 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4704323&postcount=12

Suprised no-one has posted about this yet here

Quote:
While investigating the bug, we found that we weren't going to be able to get it working as originally designed in a reasonable period of time. Rather than leaving it languishing forever in the bug queue, we chose to change the design of the ability and buff it to compensate for the removal of the non-functioning portion.

I know we already "knew" that the plan was to just rewrite text to match the borked feature(s) but now they just came right out and said it.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Re: Love those software standards.....
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
It isn't the first time they've done it, won't be the last.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
This is the much juicier entry in that thread:
Quote:
We are currently in the process of recreating the entire enhancement system. As part of this, there will be many changes made.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4704750&postcount=35

As I figured, the enhancements update will not be out this year.  What shouldn't amaze me is that they are throwing out most, if not all, their work to date.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Sep 25th, 2012 at 10:16pm:
As I figured, the enhancements update will not be out this year.  What shouldn't amaze me is that they are throwing out most, if not all, their work to date.

I am amazed that something actually was so bad at turbine they scrapped it. Sadly I think the enhancement update could take well into 2013 at best case

IP Logged

sephiroth1084
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 1:12am
Print Post  
At least they aren't bothering to waste time fixing an ability for a PrE that sucks balls anyway. There's absolutely no reason to go DWS, except to get sneak attack easily on Lolth, which is no reason at all.

I was more upset with the last patch that basically did the same thing to the Unyielding Sentinel ability that was supposed to produce a hate-generating AoE attack, and is now simply a super-hate ability on your attacks for a short while. It was worth taking before as a unique ability that filled a niche (equivalent of Intimidate against stuff that cannot be intimidated, like the ubiquitous spiders in the new content), and replaced it with Divine Righteousness on crack.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 2:48am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 1:02am:
Sadly I think the enhancement update could take well into 2013 at best case

Confirmed : http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4704589&postcount=36

Quote:
I'd recommend you play your characters and not worry too much about how the enhancements will change, it won't be before the end of this year. (I can't give details on exactly when it'll land, though.)

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 9:14am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 1:02am:
I am amazed that something actually was so bad at turbine they scrapped it. Sadly I think the enhancement update could take well into 2013 at best case

I agree, but you're a little behind...

Quote:
I'm very glad to hear real communication from Turbine on this.  I appreciate it.  But the 4 month timeframe is way too optimistic.  Consider this:
  • U16 (October/November) is next, which means that it is currently in testing. 
  • The developers are working on the next updates after U16, so 17 (December/Jan) and 18 (Feb/March), which means that any major system work they are doing is targeted for U18. 
  • Since designs aren't yet final for the enhancement pass, that means that it's highly unlikely it would make it for the 17/18 updates, which means that the earliest we would see it is the U19 (April/May) and U20 (June/July) batch, which puts it into July of 2013. 

And that assumes first that they are able to finalize designs soon, and second that each update takes no more than 2 months.  I wouldn't expect the enhancement overhaul to be live any time before fall of 2013.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

archon
Korthos Resident

Hugs! Not Drugs!

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 9:21am
Print Post  
The ddo code base must be an absolute mess... and it's not like they don't have classes that can do things while stealthed *cough* rogues *cough*.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Who cares about Deepwood Snipers anyway?

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Quote:

What class gets that Pre? Is it monks?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:15am
Print Post  
archon wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 9:21am:
The ddo code base must be an absolute mess... and it's not like they don't have classes that can do things while stealthed *cough* rogues *cough*.

I think that's the problem.  There are no classes in the code.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Also, the push back isn't a shocker, they don't understand their own game, they don't understand their own classes, they don't understand enhancements, they don't understand builds or multiclassing.  For some reason in a PVE game class balance has some for of importance to them.   Their destiny system is a total mess.  I can't wait for them to totally fuck up enhancements.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:27am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:14am:
What class gets that Pre? Is it monks?

Rangers.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Quote:
That is exactly what I mean.

We are currently in the process of recreating the entire enhancement system. As part of this, there will be many changes made. For example, feat requirements are much less of a focus in the new system, and many of the enhancement choices will be broadened quite a bit. We're considering consolidating a couple of PrE's (Hunter of the Dead and Knight of the Chalice, specifically, into a single offensive "anti-evil" Paladin tree) as well as adding new ones.

Since we're heavily in development on the new system, I don't want my designers to be spending huge amounts of time on the old system - we're doing a lot of bugfixing (especially if it significantly raises quality of life - see radiant servant changes), but every enhancement task that's not a bugfix, and isn't going to port directly over that I assign to my team needs to be weighed with the knowledge that it's going to be obsoleted as soon as viable. (See other post on extra-long beta cycle. I have this new thing on a switch so I can turn it off at will.)

I made the call that the estimate for getting Sniper Shot to work as originally designed was too high for the benefit, and that it would be better to buff the potential damage of the attack instead. (I'd simply post what Sniper Shot's going to be replaced with, but the Deepwood Sniper is internally still in progress.)

Somebody grew a pair. Good.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
Rangers.

Oh. I am sure tens of people were disappointed.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:

That hurts.  It really hurts.   Cry

-Waters

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 12:43pm:
That hurts.  It really hurts.   Cry

Og, tell me you do not have a Deepwood Sniper.  WHY WOULD YOU FUCKING DO THAT?  I am sweating.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #17 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Og, tell me you do not have a Deepwood Sniper.  WHY WOULD YOU FUCKING DO THAT?  I am sweating.

Before I ever played the game, I decided I would be a ranger, and I would take the Deepwood Sniper PrE.  I tried.  I leveled up, carefully planning out my progression and how I would fit in the pre-reqs.  Since I started with F2P, and I had read lots of posts by the devs about how they would fill in all of the missing PrEs, I was sure that it was just a matter of time.  I played pretty slowly, so it was all good. 

Months went by.  I took the 1st tier and thought "Huh, this is kind of craptastic."  No worries though, the devs were working on it.  Surely this was just a precursor to the awesomesauce they had planned for tier 2!

12th level came and went, and there was no 2nd tier.  AA was released, but of course my archer didn't qualify because I didn't want to be a candy-ass magic-using pansy and I had planned to be a Deepwoods Sniper, dammit.  I played for several more months realizing with greater and greater certainty that: my archery sucked, my PrE was a deceptive, shitty piece of crap that tried to trick me into believing that exactly two shots every 2 minutes might somehow make a difference, I did more with TWF even though I never did a single thing to improve my TWF, the promise of completed PrEs was a hopeless pipe dream fed to burnt out MMO junkies to string them along, and the devs could no more make good on their plans than I could fuck Michele Obama in the ass tonight*.

After that point I used a few feat respecs to make my melee a bit more respectable, and then promptly TRed when I reached 20th so that I could make a bona fide TWF character that wasn't just a flavor build.

I still twitch a little when I think about Deepwoods Sniper.  Even so, if they ever release all three tiers and manage to make it at least acceptable without some bizarre monk splash, I'll probably go back.  I still want to be a Deepwoods Sniper, dammit!

* - I wouldn't normally say such things, but I had to make sure this was Vault-friendly.  You know how it is.

-Waters

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #18 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 10:54pm:
I still twitch a little when I think about Deepwoods Sniper.  Even so, if they ever release all three tiers and manage to make it at least acceptable without some bizarre monk splash, I'll probably go back.  I still want to be a Deepwoods Sniper, dammit!

You'll probably see a 5 tier PrE that has a lot of favored enemy enhancements and some bow/thrown enhancements. Maybe even renamed into Deepwood Hunter or something silly.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 8:19am
Print Post  
So we'll see the PrE revamp in U18 which will be April-ish 2013.  Seven years after the game was released they'll finally "finish" PrEs.  Complete MMOs have been created in less time than that (see: Guild Wars 2).

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 27th, 2012 at 8:19am:
So we'll see the PrE revamp in U18 which will be April-ish 2013.  Seven years after the game was released they'll finally "finish" PrEs.  Complete MMOs have been created in less time than that (see: Guild Wars 2).

I see your (good) point, but GW2 was started 5+ years ago, and I would hope (and am sure) its not complete at this point.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012 at 9:04am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:45am:
You'll probably see a 5 tier PrE that has a lot of favored enemy enhancements and some bow/thrown enhancements. Maybe even renamed into Deepwood Hunter or something silly.

I never thought of that, but I can see it now.  You are a cruel, cruel person.

-Waters

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 27th, 2012 at 8:19am:
So we'll see the PrE revamp in U18 which will be April-ish 2013. 

I think you are being a tad bit optimistic here....

turbine has expanded employee's over the past couple years, I wonder what they are working on. ofc, they cant be all working on lotro and ddo considering the state of affairs over the past year.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2012 at 6:40pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:18am:
I can't wait for them to totally fuck up enhancements.

Look around, they already did.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint