Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Destiny reset cost steathchanged. (Read 16019 times)
Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: Destiny reset cost steathchanged.
Reply #50 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:06pm:
There's no professionals at turbine.

I say this despite liking maj mal, but things have definately been the same or worse since his appointment.

One of the great limitations of QA is you can only test what you have been told has changed in a system this large.  If the developers f' up version control and things end up in the build that aren't suppose to be there they will not get caught.  if this fix wasn't suppose to go in till U16 I'm certain Maj's team never even looked at it.  Why would they.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I have to totally fucking agree with DarkForte: "At least we know now their communication issues with us are just as bad as their internal communication."

All those Turbine fucks are willing to just throw each other under the bus and not be honest about what's going on.  Tolero was just trying to keep the teeth gnashing to a minimum and not concerned with imparting factual information.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #52 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
From Tolero

Quote:
Ok so until Eladrin's change goes in next month, we've created a coupon for a free loom to help folks who are sitting in the waaaaay too high price reset range with their trees:

10LOD

This coupon is usable 3 times per account, and expires on 11-12-2012.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:15pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #53 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Dear Stainer,

I love you for this post: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4723945&postcount=338

Love,
rest

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #54 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:11pm:
One of the great limitations of QA is you can only test what you have been told has changed in a system this large.  If the developers f' up version control and things end up in the build that aren't suppose to be there they will not get caught.  if this fix wasn't suppose to go in till U16 I'm certain Maj's team never even looked at it.  Why would they.

Lucky for him people in his industry would understand that better than I, to me it still doesn't look good. I'd hate to have his CV, and it makes me feel really bad for him.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #55 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
So another thing I realized to be true. Plenty of people say "the devs don't even play this game!!!" Well yeah. They know just how fucked up it is, why would they waste their time with it? Man it's like epiphany after epiphany for me today.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #56 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 5:31pm:
Looks like they sent a dev out to take the blame.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4723901&postcount=325

It doesn't make sense. They have revision control, and project tracking software. Having half a fix go into production should be fucking impossible. I don't want to say he is lying, but...

Hi everyone,

As you all found out, we 'fixed' the bug with epic destiny reset costs where it was checking for platinum but taking copper pieces.

This was supposed to be a two-part fix, and I didn't get the second part into the patch. (I thought that the first half was going into Update 16.) The cost to reset epic destinies shouldn't be 200k platinum - that's way too much.

In Update 16, the cost to reset an epic destiny will be 1,000 platinum per action point spent in the tree - a max of 24,000 pp for a full tree. Each time you reset a tree, a price multiplier is supposed to go up, which will decay back to the base cost over the next two days. Resetting destiny trees isn't supposed to be traumatizing, and this wasn't intended to be a crazy cash grab.

We're looking for a few interim solutions to make things less painful until my half of the fix can get in. I'll let you know once I hear what we can do.

Sorry again for the mistake.

I read that as someone else was doing the first part, and he was doing the second part.  As someone intimately familiar with multi-part patches, I will say that it happens.  In my company we have much stricter policies and something like that never would have made it out the door, but as we've seen with DDO: Beta Edition, they don't have the internal procedures to meet those standards.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:31pm by Schmoe »  

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #57 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:11pm:

Less than two weeks ago I was in a high-level meeting that boiled down to this exact concept.  You can't test for the absence of things that you have no reason to be there.  The domain of possibilities is essentially infinite.  It's an intractable problem.  These types of errors have to be avoided prior to ever reaching the QA threshold.  That's where good revision control comes in.

-Waters

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #58 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm 97.4% sure she ate Downs syndrome out of a lead lined bowl for breakfast this morning.  Thanks for punishing players who end up stuck with your buggy piece of shit ED's and want to change them!  GAWNASMASH#&)@(#$*&(@_#*$_)@#

Depending on just how bad Downs syndrome is for your teeth, this might be a reasonable hypothesis.

fnord

IP Logged

sephiroth1084
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 2:17am
Print Post  
They deleted and infractioned my FTFY on the Cube's post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubethulu View Post
We appreciate feedback, but pointing out how we at Turbine have done something stupid yet again is something we really don't want to see. Please keep it within the boundaries of our delicate sensibilities.

Apparently one of being told that you did something idiotic, told about how you don't like being told about it, or that you have delicate sensibilities offended their delicate sensibilities.

I'm expecting another infraction soon for this one:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4724472&postcount=416
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2012 at 3:57am by sephiroth1084 »  

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #60 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Do I detect that you might, possibly, be slightly irritated by Turbine's asshattery?

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

siftrant
Korthos Resident

what?

Reply #61 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:29pm:
Less than two weeks ago I was in a high-level meeting that boiled down to this exact concept.  You can't test for the absence of things that you have no reason to be there.  The domain of possibilities is essentially infinite.  It's an intractable problem.  These types of errors have to be avoided prior to ever reaching the QA threshold.  That's where good revision control comes in.

This isn't entirely true.  It is possible to test for changes entering the system which aren't accounted for or expected.  If you have a mature process you can check for whether files (libraries, modules, etc.) have been altered from the previous revision, and you can do it in an automated fashion; checksum files upon release of a revision, compare checksums upon each build of a new revision. Also, proper source control and issue tracking should provide a method to provide a very obvious method for communicating which files, and depending on your use of code inspection tools, what lines/functions have changed.

This isn't to say that bugs won't make it past QA, but there are ways to minimize "escaped code".

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #62 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:47am
Print Post  
siftrant wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:28am:
This isn't entirely true.  It is possible to test for changes entering the system which aren't accounted for or expected.  If you have a mature process you can check for whether files (libraries, modules, etc.) have been altered from the previous revision, and you can do it in an automated fashion; checksum files upon release of a revision, compare checksums upon each build of a new revision. Also, proper source control and issue tracking should provide a method to provide a very obvious method for communicating which files, and depending on your use of code inspection tools, what lines/functions have changed.

This isn't to say that bugs won't make it past QA, but there are ways to minimize "escaped code".

You have 3 developers all making independent changes that modify 6 different processes for release A, and another developer making another independent change that modifies one of those same processes for release B.  As a QA, how do you verify that the release B changes didn't slip into release A?  Should QA be expected to negative test every feature in any state of development?  As I already mentioned, the best mechanisms to prevent these types of errors are revision control and adherence to other procedures such as code reviews that occur well before QA ever sees the software.

-Waters

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #63 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:47am:
You have 3 developers all making independent changes that modify 6 different processes for release A, and another developer making another independent change that modifies one of those same processes for release B.  As a QA, how do you verify that the release B changes didn't slip into release A?  Should QA be expected to negative test every feature in any state of development?  As I already mentioned, the best mechanisms to prevent these types of errors are revision control and adherence to other procedures such as code reviews that occur well before QA ever sees the software.

I would think they have a schedule for fixes/revisions that includes actual dates, rather than "when you get to it".

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #64 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

IP Logged

siftrant
Korthos Resident

what?

Reply #65 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:47am:

Mature processes. 

All changes are linked to a tracked issue. All check-ins are commented and the comment references the tracked issue.  All issues are associated with their intended release.  You can check this set of information in an automated fashion to make sure that what is supposed to be in the release is in the release and what isn't isn't.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #66 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:49am
Print Post  
sephiroth1084 wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 2:17am:
They deleted and infractioned my FTFY on the Cube's post.
Apparently one of being told that you did something idiotic, told about how you don't like being told about it, or that you have delicate sensibilities offended their delicate sensibilities.

I'm expecting another infraction soon for this one:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4724472&postcount=416

Awesome Post

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Wait.  So you are buying that it was only half a fix?  Not a whole fix that went though, and then Turbine sees it pissed off to many people to quickly and decided to add a part 2 of the fix?
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:52am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #68 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:53am
Print Post  
who fucking cares?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #69 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:29am:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

To be fair, with Turbine you can guess either one in every instance.  Problem is, you will only be half right.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #70 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:01am
Print Post  
siftrant wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:31am:
Mature processes. 

All changes are linked to a tracked issue. All check-ins are commented and the comment references the tracked issue.  All issues are associated with their intended release.  You can check this set of information in an automated fashion to make sure that what is supposed to be in the release is in the release and what isn't isn't.

Yes, but this is above the QA level as was stated in his original post.

Quote:

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #71 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:11am
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:52am:
Wait.  So you are buying that it was only half a fix?  Not a whole fix that went though, and then Turbine sees it pissed off to many people to quickly and decided to add a part 2 of the fix?

*shrug*

I've seen it happen enough that it seems plausible for a company whose processes can't even prevent bug fixes from dropping out of new releases over and over and over.

-Waters

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #72 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:13am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:52am:
I would think they have a schedule for fixes/revisions that includes actual dates, rather than "when you get to it".

Lol, I hope so!  Smiley

From my experience, something like this is more a matter of human error (checking into the wrong stream, for example) in an area for which there aren't adequate controls to catch the error.  They have multiple streams of development ongoing at any one time, so I doubt it's as simple as "don't check in until I tell you to check in".

-Waters

IP Logged

siftrant
Korthos Resident

what?

Reply #73 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:13am:
Lol, I hope so!  Smiley

From my experience, something like this is more a matter of human error (checking into the wrong stream, for example) in an area for which there aren't adequate controls to catch the error.  They have multiple streams of development ongoing at any one time, so I doubt it's as simple as "don't check in until I tell you to check in".

That is what branching and tagging is for.

IP Logged

siftrant
Korthos Resident

what?

Reply #74 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:01am:
Yes, but this is above the QA level as was stated in his original post.

The view of QA being a separate team from Development is part of why companies fail to solve problems like this. QA is, almost always, much more effective when entwined with the development process as opposed to something done afterward. Such a change requires new behaviors on the part of QA, Development, and product owners but it does produce better software.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint