Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Enhancement Pass Arcane Archer Builds (Read 83825 times)
Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Enhancement Pass Arcane Archer Builds
Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
For reference: Enhancement Alpha at DDOWiki

I'm still working on getting my last monk life finished then hopping in to my ranger lives. My end-goal is to be some type of arcane archer. I'm not tied to the 'monkcher' setup but it seems like 10k stars + manyshot is the way to go as an archer (not sure if the ENH pass changes that or not).

That said, w/ the monk stances becoming feats, the feat pre-req's for things like AA being dropped, and the existence of two strong ranged pre's in ranger, I'm wondering what the best build for all-around ranged damage and flexibility might end up looking like.

First question will be whether 10k stars and manyshots will share a timer or will continue to work as they always have. I'm assuming for the rest of this post that they will not share a timer but 10k stars being on the same timer with manyshot would further push things away from Monk.

Looking at the monk trees, there's very little to recommend it for bow users. The main reason that monkchers existed was for the tier III stances (earth/water) and 10k stars. We could get Ki in epic levels from Enlightenment - it's not ideal but it could be done - so monk levels wouldn't be required for 10k stars (unless they require monk levels with the feat version).

Fighter levels used to be taken for feats. An argument could be made for up to 4 fighter levels for weapon group specialization (+4/+4 total if you take all 4 ranks) and up to +3 crit damage. I don't think we'd dip into the T5 stuff from Kensei though so it's questionable how much value the splash would have as the really nice Kensei stuff is T5.

A lot of the ranger-based AA's splashed 3 arti levels and I could see an argument for anywhere between 1 and 3 arti levels as well.

What really made me focus on this is what ranger has available.
Level 12:
Aligned Arrows: Arcane Archer Secondary Imbue Toggle: Your arrows bypass all alignment based damage reduction. Activation Cost: 20 spell points. Cooldown: 10 seconds.

Level 18:
Shadow Arrows: Arcane Archer Secondary Imbue Toggle: +5% extra shot chance any time you fire an arrow. Activation Cost: 20 spell points. Cooldown: 10 seconds.
Mark of the Hunted: Activate: Expend a use of animal empathy. Your currently selected enemy receive -10% Fortification, -10 AC, -10 Spell Resistance, and suffers a -4 penalty to all ability scores for 3 minutes.

Level 20 (only 1 of these would be available):
Master of Imbuement: You gain +2 Dexterity and +10% Extra shot chance (repeating crossbows have a reduced chance to produce extra shots). When you leave primary arcane archer imbue stance, the bonus granted by the stance lingers for 30 seconds before being removed.
Horizon Shot: You gain +2 Dexterity and +1 Sneak Attack Die. You are always considered to be in Point Blank Shot and Ranged Sneak Attack range.

Those abilities are just the core abilities but those are really the only ones that matter for this conversation - we could do a traditional 12 monk/6 ranger/2 fighter and get all of the other abilities from both trees but those core abilities are lost when we don't get to the required ranger levels.

So the question is are those core abilities in AA and DWS compelling enough to trump splashing one of the other classes, assuming of course that we can get 10k stars w/ whatever splash we end up taking? I'm thinking that just the level 18 stuff is compelling enough to trump going more than 2 levels in to anything else...the DWS debuff is amazing and the stance is basically 5% extra damage any time you don't need one of the other secondary imbues. I'm relatively new to building archers though so I'm definitely interested to see everyone's input.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Re: Enhancement Pass Arcane Archer Builds
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
I hope Sith gets bored with whatever the fuck is he doing and come up with something awesome, so I can make a cookie cutter build, have some fun in EE and make fun of piece of shit toons.

That's basically my plan for enh pass.
CRUUUSH IT !

EDIT : Or anything that will get " Maddmatt's disaprovement stamp of quality " is basically awesome.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:39pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Just thinking about this some more. So much of the damage for AA's is in how Fury of the Wild works with adrenaline + multiple shots. Anything that provides a chance at additional arrows, assuming it works the same way that manyshot/10k stars works with Adrenaline charges and the epic moment, would trump anything else.

Now for monks throwing shurikens there are other options but I'm not really into the entire thrown weapon thing...I like bows. For a bow user it looks like 18 ranger = 5% extra shot chance unless you need a different secondary imbue. 20 ranger = 10% extra shot chance. There are plenty of other compelling reasons for the 18 & 20th ranger levels but these by themselves would have an enormous impact on Fury-based ranged damage.

Anyone have any info from Lamannia about the 10k stars feat and monk stance feats requirement-wise? A pure ranger with 10k stars and enlightenment to provide the ki for it would be pretty effective. Given that almost all the feats to make the build work are provided by the class now we'd have room for feats like Zen Archery, 10k stars, and monk stances. And we wouldn't be tied to any particular race anymore.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 2:18pm:
Just thinking about this some more. So much of the damage for AA's is in how Fury of the Wild works with adrenaline + multiple shots.

It gets even more important with the enhancement pass...

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
That dog has a lot of HP.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:10pm:
It gets even more important with the enhancement pass...

Exactly...and being able to get that hit a 2nd time (or a 5th, 6th, 7th, or even 8th time if we're on Manyshot) will be a huge difference. Like I said, a lot will have to do with the answers to the 10k stars questions I mentioned but assuming they all break in the direction of ranger levels I think you'd be hard-pressed to make the argument for any non-ranger levels with the AA capstone is 10% doubleshot.

IP Logged

Turkantho
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:35pm:
I think you'd be hard-pressed to make the argument for any non-ranger levels with the AA capstone is 10% doubleshot.

Elf/H-Elf Racial AA unlock, you get the doubleshot secondary stance @22 and the 10% doubleshot capstone @ 25 no matter how many ranger levels you have

IP Logged

TheFifthSock
Dragon Raider

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:09pm:
For reference: Enhancement Alpha at DDOWiki

First question will be whether 10k stars and manyshots will share a timer or will continue to work as they always have. I'm assuming for the rest of this post that they will not share a timer but 10k stars being on the same timer with manyshot would further push things away from Monk.

Manyshot and 10k stars will be on a shared timer.

Edit: The statement above is incorrect. See Carpone's comments below.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 8:09am by TheFifthSock »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:48am
Print Post  
I'm definately not going to go pure ranger, the Elven AA line is worth blowing 4ap imo.

I'm still nutting out how I'll finish mine up, but atm (early stages)  Here's my thought process.

My AA will always be a monk, purely cause I'll never give up abundant step. However now that 10k stars shares a cooldown with manyshot, I see no point in going wisdom specced. 

Since Shintao's Defensive strikes works with a bow equipped I'll pick it up and give up using handwraps. Looking at my options, Ninja Training Tier 2 Should technically count for bows and Sireth, so I'll have dex to hit and dex/str for damage on the only weapon sets I'll ever use.

I'm looking at a lot of free feats now that I'm moving away from unarmed / 10k stars combined with dodge / mental toughness no longer being pre reqs.

Here's the first take on my new feats list:

Code
Select All
Level 1 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Rogue
Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 2 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack

Level 3 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Piercing Weapons

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Zen Archery

Level 9 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Power Critical
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Precision

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Precise Shot

Level 16 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Cleave

Level 17 (Monk)

Level 18 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 19 (Monk)

Level 20 (Monk)

Level 21
Overwhelming critical

Level 24
Grandmaster of Forms

Level 28
Combat Archery

Enhancements I'm Considering atm.

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 3:45pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:35pm:
I think you'd be hard-pressed to make the argument for any non-ranger levels with the AA capstone is 10% doubleshot.

Here's my argument.

Atm Double strike and Double shot seem to be the same, Windstance + ranger capstone > just ranger capstone.

I look forward to your counter :p
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:01am by Munkenmo »  

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:12am
Print Post  
TheFifthSock wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 7:23am:
Manyshot and 10k stars will be on a shared timer.

This makes me sad, if Turdbine fuck up my monkcher too.
Already fucked up evoker and palemaster, they will twf stalwart.
Jesus Christ, what am I going to actually play.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:12am:
This makes me sad, if Turdbine fuck up my monkcher too.
Already fucked up evoker and palemaster, they will twf stalwart.
Jesus Christ, what am I going to actually play.

TR into a monkcher that fits with the new system before they fuck up TR'ing. Smiley

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:08am:
TR into a monkcher that fits with the new system before they fuck up TR'ing. Smiley

The thing is, it's the only "finalized" toon in years. All gear i want, Pinion, Antipode, black robe fully upgraded etc.
Don't have access to Lammania so don't really know about "future" builds either.
I got spare comms, Baliz, Rebellion and some other crap fortunately.
But I need first to TR fighter, fvs, and , and ....

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:01am:
Here's my argument.

Atm Double strike and Double shot seem to be the same, Windstance + ranger capstone > just ranger capstone.

I look forward to your counter :p

That's what I'm not sure of since I can't get into Lamannia right now on my computer I'm using - can you get the monk stances with no monk levels.

Also, didn't realize you could get that deep into the AA tree by going through the elven line. That's great for build flexibility...I just have a disappoint since I hate elves and half-elves but it looks like they're still the best choices. Tongue

Not sure how the monk stances without monk levels works or doesn't work. Assuming that doublestrike = doubleshot from wind stance then I absolutely agree with you that doing whatever it takes to max out wind stance is critical.

Now, what each class brings simply from the class perspective's another subject altogether. Like you mentioned, abundant step is a really nice ability. Cure Serious makes an argument for Ranger 14 in builds. Lots of things to consider from a class perspective as well.

I'm thinking Elven might be the way to go with some combination of ranger and monk (assuming that monk is required for the later monk stances). We should have plenty of feats to pick up the dragonmark and extend...those together would be really nice in the new update. We'd have to spend enough in the class tree to open up AA anyway so the Dragonmark spending would be a nice spot. If we wanted to go there the T4 stuff in elven is really nice as well.

Just some early thoughts though. I definitely want to get where I can run Lamannia somewhere and try leveling up some toons to see how they'd work out.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:48am:
I'm looking at a lot of free feats now that I'm moving away from unarmed / 10k stars combined with dodge / mental toughness no longer being pre reqs.

I think that you can drop Weapon Focus: Ranged as well.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 2:33pm:
I think that you can drop Weapon Focus: Ranged as well.

I would have, but it's a pre req for power critical.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 3:47pm:
I would have, but it's a pre req for power critical.

Icky.

It seems like there should be something better than spending 2 feats for +1 attack and +2 seeker, but there is really nothing out there for ranged.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Manyshot and 10k stars work on Lamannia the same way they do on live.  The optimal cycle is: 10k stars (30 sec duration, 60 sec cool down), Manyshot (20 sec duration, 120 sec cool down), 10 sec autoattack, 10k stars, 30 sec autoattack.  Rinse and repeat.

There's no point in gearing for Doubleshot as a monkcher:

10k stars: Activating this ability reduces your Extra Shot by -100% for 45 seconds.
Manyshot: Activating this ability reduces your Extra Shot by -100% for 70 seconds.

That's leaves a meager 15 seconds per cycle where you would benefit from a doubleshot bonus.  87.5% of the time you won't benefit from doubleshot.

With passive regen available in Henshin Mystic and Kensei, it's a huge boon to 10k stars.  With two sources of passive ki regen, you'll always have enough ki for 10k stars.

Edit: In terms of class splits 12 Monk is still very strong, simply for the movement bonuses.  6 Ranger is a must.  The 2 splash has a couple of options, but fighter works really well.

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:07pm by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #18 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:04pm:
With passive regen available in Henshin Mystic and Kensei, it's a huge boon to 10k stars.  With two sources of passive ki regen, you'll always have enough ki for 10k stars.

Do they stack for you? for me they didn't.  I've filed a bug report, but not sure if it's wai or not.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:10pm:
Do they stack for you? for me they didn't.  I've filed a bug report, but not sure if it's wai or not.

Yes, Enlightenment and both enhancement passive ki regens stack.  Depending on your current ki level you'll see different regeneration rates.  For example, if I had 0 ki then I'd see +3 ki regen until it hit a certain threshold.  Then it reduces to +2 until the next threshold, and so on.  I haven't taken the time to figure out the regen thresholds.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 3:25am
Print Post  
I tested the same way, going uncentered to drop my ki to 0.

I had water stance III, enlightened, and both heroic enhancements, I also had +3 at 0, I was expecting +4.

Carpone wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:04pm:
Manyshot and 10k stars work on Lamannia the same way they do on live.

I actually went and tested for myself since previously I took the word of this thread as gospel.  Carpone is correct, so I will be sticking with a wisdom specced build.

Glenalth wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 5:58pm:
It seems like there should be something better than spending 2 feats for +1 attack and +2 seeker, but there is really nothing out there for ranged.

I was considering picking up dragonmarks to gain shocking weapons, but I can't see the AP being worth it.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 3:25am:
I tested the same way, going uncentered to drop my ki to 0.

I had water stance III, enlightened, and both heroic enhancements, I also had +3 at 0, I was expecting +4.

I had not tested Greater Ocean Stance since I stay in Greater Mountain Stance 24/7.  It's strange that it does not stack with one of the other three passive ki regen abilities.

IP Logged

Turkantho
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:22pm:
I haven't taken the time to figure out the regen thresholds.

Should be multiples of your concentration score.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
Should be multiples of your concentration score.

Indeed it is.  Thanks for the tip.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:48am:
Ninja Training Tier 2 Should technically count for bows and Sireth, so I'll have dex to hit and dex/str for damage on the only weapon sets I'll ever use.

Yes, Ninja Training II core enhancement allows you to use DEX for damage with bows while centered.  What's funny: Deepwood Stalker is supposed to provide this ability as well through a combination of the Weapon Finesse feat and Improved Weapon Finesse enhancement.  It didn't work when I tested on Lamannia. If you go the DEX route with bows, Overwhelming Critical (STR 23 required) is no longer an option.

I hadn't considered Sireth before for the 30 second downtime in the 10k stars/Manyshot cycle.  That's actually alot more attractive to me for regaining ki than doubling up on passive ki regen.  I really dislike dedicating an ED twist for Enlightenment.  I'd prefer Rejuv Cocoon, Otto's and Pin for quests and Rejuv Cocoon, Unearthly Reactions or Energy Sheath, and Grim Precision for raids.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:55am by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint