Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bard 16/Fighter 2/Rogue 2? (Read 6540 times)
Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Bard 16/Fighter 2/Rogue 2?
Sep 29th, 2013 at 6:32am
Print Post  
32-point True Neutral Dwarf Bard 16/Fighter 2/Rogue 2

Abilities

Str: 18 (max)
Dex: 10 (up from 8 to take Dodge with a +3 tome)
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 8
Cha: 10 (rest here)

Skills

Balance 10 or Open Lock: 20 (not sure if Open Lock is worth it)
Disable Device: 20
Perform: 20
Search: 20
Tumble: 1
UMD: 23

Rest in Balance or Concentration (doubt if Concentration is worth it anymore).

Feats

Power Attack
Two-Handed Fighting
Extend Spell
Improved Two-Handed Fighting
Improved Critical: Slashing
Cleave
Greater Two-Handed Fighting
Great Cleave
*Toughness or Dodge (not sure if Dodge is worth it)

Inspire Excellence
Overwhelming Critical
*Epic Toughness

If I drop the idea of Dodge, I can start with 8 Dex and put rest in Cha. I could take Toughness somewhere along the way and unlock Epic Toughness at level 27. I won't bother going into the enhancements yet, but I'm not going to dip into the Warchanter tree much. I'll be in Legendary Dreadnought ED with Blitz running as often as possible.

Am I missing anything else major here, or does this build look okay? I'm worried that having not had any experience with Rogues, I may be overlooking something there.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2013 at 6:40am by Astraghal »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Re: Bard 16/Fighter 2/Rogue 2?
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
If you're going to be a Dwarf with a Fighter splash, take advantage of the tactics enhancements both get. I suggest Trip as your special tactic because Stunning Blow DCs don't get high enough for EE content at endgame. With that in mind, get Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Epic Deneith Heavy Chain (+15 Vertigo), a +5 or +6 Combat Mastery item, +6 Legendary Tactics from Legendary Dreadnaught, at least a 13 Int (for Combat Expertise) and as much Strength as you can possibly get.

Tripping is fun!

Note: The Heavy Deneith Chain will not allow you to use Evasion so consider either a 16Bard/4Ftr split or a 18Bard/2Ftr split.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2013 at 8:28am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Sep 29th, 2013 at 8:23am:
If you're going to be a Dwarf with a Fighter splash, take advantage of the tactics enhancements both get. I suggest Trip as your special tactic because Stunning Blow DCs don't get high enough for EE content at endgame. With that in mind, get Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Epic Deneith Heavy Chain (+15 Vertigo), a +5 or +6 Combat Mastery item, +6 Legendary Tactics from Legendary Dreadnaught, at least a 13 Int (for Combat Expertise) and as much Strength as you can possibly get.

Tripping is fun!

Note: The Heavy Deneith Chain will not allow you to use Evasion so consider either a 16Bard/4Ftr split or a 18Bard/2Ftr split.

I was attracted to that synergy, but I highly doubt I could reach EE trip benchmarks. I've played a 16/4 split already, so splashing 2 Rogue was sort of my gift to the group.

Any idea if tactics are factored into the Lay Waste trip DC?

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I've never understood why the Deneith Heavy Chain was medium armour.

It's totally made for an acrobat.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Packfan
Waterworks Kobold

It's personal

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:14am
Print Post  
The idea of a trippy Bard is interesting if you consider a PDK version with a 2 FvS splash. Stats end up starting thin if you go TWF but it looks like you can get enough STR for PA, enough INT for CE to get Improved Trip, and as long as you keep your CHA greater than STR you get 1/3 of your CHA mod to tactics. Add Divine Might for CHA bonus to STR and it looks like you could get both in the 40's, with a trip DC of mid-70s.

I'm gonna flesh this out when I get some time. It would make a great improvement over my current craptastic bard.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2013 at 11:03am by Packfan »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Packfan wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:14am:
The idea of a trippy Bard is interesting if you consider a PDK version with a 2 FvS splash. Stats end up starting thin if you go TWF but it looks like you can get enough STR for PA, enough INT for CE to get Improved Trip, and as long as you keep your CHA greater than STR you get 1/3 of your CHA mod to tactics. Add Divine Might for CHA bonus to STR and it looks like you could get both in the 40's, with a trip DC of mid-70s.

I'm gonna flesh this out when I get some time. It would make a great improvement over my current craptastic bard.

This is awesome. Go staff and use felling the oak

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
It's been a long time and I haven't revamped this toon since the Enh Pass but you can do the same type of thing with a Warforged. Obviously the healing penalties sting a bit but the plus side is that you can go Epic Blademark's and still get evasion. There was a time I was running stunning blow, improved sunder, and trip all 3 on a pure warforged bard and getting good mileage out of it.

Not sure if Epic Blademark's still fits in as an end-game armor but it's not bad...blue and colorless slots, +40 false life, 10% more fort added to the already crazy fort bonuses you can take on a forged now. Certainly could do worse. And yeah, staff with felling the oak would work really well on that build. Run in Dreadnaught for even more knockdowns.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 1:43am
Print Post  
I have an Epic Sirocco on this toon. It's pretty decent in EE.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2013 at 1:44am by Astraghal »  

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Sep 29th, 2013 at 6:30pm:
I've never understood why the Deneith Heavy Chain was medium armour.

Because Turbine.

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Sep 29th, 2013 at 8:23am:

Tripping is fun!

Looking at it now, this is a very temping idea. I'd have to drop Toughness/Epic Toughness to fit Combat Expertise and Improved Trip (didn't bother re-distributing build points for Dodge). If I didn't already have such outstanding CC I would seriously consider it.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 1:36pm by Astraghal »  

IP Logged

TheRedStapler
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
You're a dwarf.  If you're using axes, then why not Throw Your Weight Around with a more focused CON build?

Two advantages.
-People would stop trying to kill you for better loot.
-People would train harder for the greater challenge of successfully killing you for better loot, thus increasing the skill level of the group as a whole.

It's a win win situation for you.

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Throw Your Weight Around is a trap. Since you're going to need 23 STR for OC anyway may as well go full STR.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint