Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bard, 11-20 x4 (Read 7344 times)
crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Bard, 11-20 x4
Apr 29th, 2014 at 9:50am
Print Post  
nightforge spike
swashbuckler 2nd core
improved crit
resonant arms: 6d6 sonic damage on crit, affected by spell power

http://ddowiki.com/page/Swashbuckler_enhancements
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Nightforge_Spike

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Re: Bard, 11-20 x4
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Wow. That's pretty cool.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
shhh. some of us have been quietly waiting to use that spike once throwing was a addressed for a very long time.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2014 at 12:20pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 12:20pm:
shhh. some of us have been quietly waiting to use that spike once throwing was a addressed for a very long time.

Why it does not even come remotely close to the extra shuriken that ninja spy grants.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

apparently bored
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
atm thoughts are as follows.
12bard/4ranger/4arty

+5dam from precision stance

2 threat
+1 crit multiply

+2 enhance

+3% dub shot

action boost dub shot

deflect arrows

On the Mark: Passive +1/2/3 to attack rolls to confirm critical hits and damage on critical hits (before weapon multipliers)

Wind at my Back: +1 to the Enhancement Bonus of your equipped Throwing Weapons, plus an additional +1 for every five Bard levels.

dont really know if its worth it to lose ninja spy but i already made a build using thrower with rune arm was bad ass when you dont have any insta (nat 20roll) killer shurikens, and it was fun.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:01pm by apparently bored »  

IP Logged

apparently bored
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
but then agin dont really know if its worth losing exposing strike either.

IP Logged

mattyboy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 12:20pm:

yup, I have a halfling barb/ken/bard crit focused build parked at 14th with 6 augmented spikes, waiting..... and waiting..... which may some way toward explaining why I was such a cunt about it to jerry-the-hut in the past. 

I did get excited about the possibilities the swash tree might bring, trying not to get my hopes up.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2014 at 9:21pm by »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 5:28pm:
Why it does not even come remotely close to the extra shuriken that ninja spy grants.

It doesn't yet. Depends on if:
-Swashbuckler delivers on it's throwing features through to live

If you have 11-20x4

Each Throw animation you do:
4 * 0.50 + 1 * 0.45 + 0 * 0.05 (miss) = 2.45x

A Shuriken in a Monk's Hand w/ IC:
2*.10 +.05*0(miss) + .85*1 = 1.05x

Now, a monk also gets <Dex Mod>% x 2 in addition due to Shuriken Expertise and Ninja Spy. With a fairly easy to attain 60 Dex, so:

1.05x + (1.05x*.6) + (1.05x*.6) = 2.31x

So you see, before any procs, just based on throw rate and crit power, the dart is BARELY AHEAD /3Monk with Shuriken (~6%).

Now the dart is just 1 item and therefore a bit limiting, kind of like an eSoS.

However, I fully expect the new 1 Handed Fighting feats to apply to Throwing without an off-hand item (or a buckler or some shit). THATS why the devs aren't responding to people like me demanding to know where they will make up the mileage on extra missle procs outside of Monk for other thrown weapons.

Let me know if there are any glaring errors in my math. I know just enough of math to get excited, but rarely enough to prove a point.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:30am by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

froggy
Stormreaver Piker

LUDICROUS SPEED GO!!!!!!!

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:50pm:
It doesn't yet. Depends on if:
-Swashbuckler delivers on it's throwing features through to live

If you have 11-20x4

4*.40 + 1*.55 + .05*0(miss) = 2.15x

A Shuriken in a Monk's Hand w/ IC:
2*.10 +.05*0(miss) + .85*1 = 1.05x

Now, a monk also gets <Dex Mod>% x 2 in addition due to Shuriken Expertise and Ninja Spy. With a fairly easy to attain 60 Dex, so:

1.05x + (1.05x*.6) + (1.05x*.6) = 2.31x

So you see, before any procs, just based on throw rate and crit power, the dart is BARELY behind /3Monk with Shuriken (~10%).

Now the dart is just 1 item and therefore a bit limiting, kind of like an eSoS.

However, I fully expect the new 1 Handed Fighting feats to apply to Throwing without an off-hand item (or a buckler or some shit). THATS why the devs aren't responding to people like me demanding to know where they will make up the mileage on extra missle procs outside of Monk for other thrown weapons.

Let me know if there are any glaring errors in my math. I know just enough of math to get excited, but rarely enough to prove a point.

I suppose this will be valuable to tanks as well then mgm...
the new feats that is.

We kill the batman.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Wanna bet that thrower extra crit threat and multiplier will be broken upon release and forgotten like the rest of the thrower enhancements?

IP Logged

Ensis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 12:26am
Print Post  
That's a lot of doubleshot.  Time to say goodbye to 10K Stars.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Ensis wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 12:26am:
That's a lot of doubleshot.  Time to say goodbye to 10K Stars.

that's the hope. But it needs to be a lot of doubleshot, and without the crit enhancements working it wont matter because it still wont compare to shuriken throwing with 10k without them.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 1:10am
Print Post  

I've not run math yet as just looking at it, I can see shurikens are still ahead.  A bard using shuriken is going to have 2/3 the proc rate of a ninja shuriken tosser. A bard thrower not using shuriken is going to have 1/3 the proc rate of a Ninja tosser.  Bards would need to be significantly ahead with base damage to make up this difference, but atm, they're not even ahead, they're behind.

It's not the weapon damage that makes throwers powerful, it's the amount of procs you get to dish out. Bard tossers have less damage and less procs.

If the one handed fighting feats apply to throwers, that'll probably include shuriken, meaning they still come out ahead.

The ability to make a CC / buff bot, viable enough throwing build was intriguing, but given the lack of dex or cha for damage there's not enough synergy for my liking (unless I go halfling).

I moved onto trying to work out a Dwarven throwing Axe 13wiz/6bard/1barb or 12wiz/6bard/2arti wraith form tank atm, with the 60dr/epic heavy armor thinking it could be feasible.

(13wiz for acid fog, works on purple names with no save)

Atm having 1/3 - 2/3 the procs of a monk thrower means the dps is so far behind I'm in no way competing with an earth stance shadowfade tosser.

If the one handed feats exclude shuriken, then it'll become interesting. Atm for me, it's not.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014 at 1:55am by Munkenmo »  

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:14am
Print Post  
If you have 11-20x4
4*.40 + 1*.55 + .05*0(miss) = 2.15x
Let me know if there are any glaring errors in my math.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:30am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:14am:

Yes, good correction. Updated.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 1:10am:
I've not run math yet as just looking at it, I can see shurikens are still ahead.  A bard using shuriken is going to have 2/3 the proc rate of a ninja shuriken tosser. A bard thrower not using shuriken is going to have 1/3 the proc rate of a Ninja tosser.  Bards would need to be significantly ahead with base damage to make up this difference, but atm, they're not even ahead, they're behind.

It's not the weapon damage that makes throwers powerful, it's the amount of procs you get to dish out. Bard tossers have less damage and less procs.

If the one handed fighting feats apply to throwers, that'll probably include shuriken, meaning they still come out ahead.

The ability to make a CC / buff bot, viable enough throwing build was intriguing, but given the lack of dex or cha for damage there's not enough synergy for my liking (unless I go halfling).

I moved onto trying to work out a Dwarven throwing Axe 13wiz/6bard/1barb or 12wiz/6bard/2arti wraith form tank atm, with the 60dr/epic heavy armor thinking it could be feasible.

(13wiz for acid fog, works on purple names with no save)

Atm having 1/3 - 2/3 the procs of a monk thrower means the dps is so far behind I'm in no way competing with an earth stance shadowfade tosser.

If the one handed feats exclude shuriken, then it'll become interesting. Atm for me, it's not.

Procs are super important. BUT. Almost all procs you can get on a shuriken you can get on any other thrower. So, looking at base damage actually is just as important as looking at procs. Now I know if you're throwing 3x as many shuriken, the procs especially on the new equipment are going to be nuts (My Touch of Flames, Wrath of Flames, Mortal Feat Shuriken is out of control). But, some people will want Bard and not Monk for various reasons. But as I said, this is just for base damage for now.

I guess I could try and model DPS like this with popular shuriken/throwers as well to be certain. I do think Drow shuriken throwing bards however may end up being quite compelling in the sweet spot.

6d6 sonic proc that uses Spell Power on crits is also something only the bard can have. Also, at around 65% DoubleShot you exceed the value of 10k. At around 80-90, if it becomes possible, you really exceed it. Monks cant do that. I'm not arguing Bard throwers will outpace Monk throwers.

I'm just saying they seem to have some potential to rival based on some very preliminary information.

IP Logged

mattyboy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:41am:
Procs are super important. BUT. Almost all procs you can get on a shuriken you can get on any other thrower. So, looking at base damage actually is just as important as looking at procs. Now I know if you're throwing 3x as many shuriken, the procs especially on the new equipment are going to be nuts (My Touch of Flames, Wrath of Flames, Mortal Feat Shuriken is out of control). But, some people will want Bard and not Monk for various reasons. But as I said, this is just for base damage for now.

I guess I could try and model DPS like this with popular shuriken/throwers as well to be certain. I do think Drow shuriken throwing bards however may end up being quite compelling in the sweet spot.

6d6 sonic proc that uses Spell Power on crits is also something only the bard can have. Also, at around 65% DoubleShot you exceed the value of 10k. At around 80-90, if it becomes possible, you really exceed it. Monks cant do that. I'm not arguing Bard throwers will outpace Monk throwers.

I'm just saying they seem to have some potential to rival based on some very preliminary information.

All excellent points, only thing holding me back is the doubts I have about Turbine following through on any kind of throwing other then shuriken.... It would be great but still waiting on halfling tree to be un-bugged. 

fingers crossed though.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:41am:
Procs are super important. BUT. Almost all procs you can get on a shuriken you can get on any other thrower. So, looking at base damage actually is just as important as looking at procs. Now I know if you're throwing 3x as many shuriken, the procs especially on the new equipment are going to be nuts

I said proc rate, not procs.  Base damage is worth considering, but it didn't take long to see that the best shuriken does more damage than the best non shuriken.

After that the extra throws push the shuriken further ahead, not to mention the added advantage of 10k stars burst dps. (it is much better than a doubleshot actionboost)

Wanting to make a non monk thrower was why I started looking into it, but from a tanking, dps & cc perspective (not counting fascinate) monk variants are quite clearly better. This tree gives room to make viable non monk throwers.

If fascinate becomes important again, or the swashbuckler gets dex or cha for damage then color me interested, until then this tree isn't quite good enough.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:13pm:
If fascinate becomes important again, or the swashbuckler gets dex or cha for damage then color me interested, until then this tree isn't quite good enough.

Halfling?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:27pm:
Halfling?

I've considered that already, but I'm not sure I can afford the loss of a feat.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:13pm:
I said proc rate, not procs.  Base damage is worth considering, but it didn't take long to see that the best shuriken does more damage than the best non shuriken.

After that the extra throws push the shuriken further ahead, not to mention the added advantage of 10k stars burst dps. (it is much better than a doubleshot actionboost)

Wanting to make a non monk thrower was why I started looking into it, but from a tanking, dps & cc perspective (not counting fascinate) monk variants are quite clearly better. This tree gives room to make viable non monk throwers.

defintely needs cha/dex to damage

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #21 - May 1st, 2014 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Too bad PDKs don't get cha on thrown weapons.

PDK face thrower, would be fabulous.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2014 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 2:31am:
Too bad PDKs don't get cha on thrown weapons.

PDK face thrower, would be fabulous.

it would be hilarious.

i'm about to do some PDK PL's too on my thrower.

IP Logged

jaggedmonk
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - May 1st, 2014 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
I'm missing something.  What all brings the threat range down to 11?
18 - 20 base
15 - 20 IC
13 - 20 Swash

Are we counting on the swash +2 to add into IC then?

Really, really would like for them to give Cha to hit/dmg if not Dex/Cha.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #24 - May 1st, 2014 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I've done my calcs based on 13-20 aswell.  All the enhancements currently apply after Improved Crit, I don't see why this would be different.

The tier 5 ability Exploit Weakness though does further improve the effective crit range though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint