Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) So how's your lag? (Read 33450 times)
Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: So how's your lag?
Reply #50 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 8:44am:
I don't wanna even unerstand single word what you wrote

You ... didn't have to reply. But you did. And now you look like a fuckwit.

To distill Flav: You had lag. Odds are that it was neither your machine, nor Turbine's.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #51 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:06am
Print Post  
FuckThisShit wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 7:46am:
lies, you have 12 hours to have it tested by an impartial 3rd party like dropbear.... ohhh wait

wow and i thought i had it bad in the uk with 90ms, geez i almost feel sry for you now

Try the super mario room in Deathwyrm......    Sad

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #52 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:27am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:06am:
Try the super mario room in Deathwyrm......

Devs who made Gravity and RGL room REALLLLLLLLY believed there is no LAG at all and everyone has <100ms  and 0% packet loss all the time.

I hope that when they die they'll be send to their personal hell where all they do is to be forced to pass these Puzzle rooms over and over and over and over while failing them at 99% due to LAG and re-spawn at the beginning.

IP Logged

FuckThisShit
Abbot Raider

Reply #53 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 11:25am
Print Post  

fuck that, i tried it for the first time today, and it took me 3 mins to decide i didnt want the gear from there after all Tongue
(and before anyone says anything, i had quit in u14 so gdiaf)

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #54 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 11:44am
Print Post  
FuckThisShit wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 11:25am:
fuck that, i tried it for the first time today, and it took me 3 mins to decide i didnt want the gear from there after all Tongue
(and before anyone says anything, i had quit in u14 so gdiaf)

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2014 at 11:45am by NOTdarth »  

IP Logged

FuckThisShit
Abbot Raider

Reply #55 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 11:59am
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 11:44am:

IP Logged

Ohfaq
Titan Demolisher

Nubz morghulis

Reply #56 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:27am:
Devs who made Gravity and RGL room REALLLLLLLLY believed there is no LAG at all and everyone has <100ms  and 0% packet loss all the time.

I hope that when they die they'll be send to their personal hell where all they do is to be forced to pass these Puzzle rooms over and over and over and over while failing them at 99% due to LAG and re-spawn at the beginning.

i'd put them in tiles (on a previous version of heroic elite), no teamspeak or whatever, only voice and partychat, while the rest of the hell are waiting impatiently for them

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:05pm by Ohfaq »  

IP Logged

Ohfaq
Titan Demolisher

Nubz morghulis

Reply #57 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
these tiles:

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #58 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:36pm
Print Post  

Ok, I'm going to put fuel on the fire here... Change computer...

you know that my 8+ year old beast died recently... the Super Mario Room was a nightmare for me, It was frustrating ( for me and others ) and in the end most of the time I ended up suing the Bag Lift trick ( thankes for the Guild about that )...

First time in Super Mario Room with the Jump Impaired Cleric on the new computer... ( the specs are in the relevant thread where it belongs )... Lo Behold, I went through the room with the rest of the pack... I was the first surprised... I have yet to reproduce the thing ( On Call this week, not even trying to raid... it's like asking Murphy to show up ), but just how easy it was tells me that the issue was my decrepit dinosaur of a computer and not my lack of skill at Super Mario.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #59 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:27am:

Fiber...

Turbine's people play from a LAN... so the only way for us to have something relatively similar is to use Fiber... and not the Basic fiber service... the Full Fledged Froggy Beast...
500Mb down/200Mb Up... they will loosen the limitation and go 1Gb Symetrical really fast, since that's what the interface cards can do, but honestly, you dont really need that much to play DDO even a good old fashioned V92 modem is enough to play without lag ( in that specific case : lag means lag generated by the last kilometer line... any lag generated by Turbine, your computer, and/or the rest of the network to reach the server is not considered ).

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:42pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #60 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
I just got hit with 3 second latency in the end fight of WGU when soloing. That was... unfun. Didn't trace route, I was too busy trying not to die Tongue

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #61 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:04am:
You ... didn't have to reply. But you did. And now you look like a fuckwit.

To distill Flav: You had lag. Odds are that it was neither your machine, nor Turbine's.

Well isn't this my lucky day.
I get some tracert text file that I is as helpful for our lag issues as much as dolphin mating practices knowledge.
I get insulted by anonymous person on the Internet.
Did you just went grammar Nazi on me ? Lol.

I hate to be a dick but holy shit, can't wait to hear more about no lag in this game. Especially as avid raider.
I don't care what the cause is. Poor Turbine.
How the heck I almost never experienced any kind of lag YEARS playing other games, mmos or fps.
Yet this damn game lag makes me want to drown some kittens.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #62 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:46pm:
I hate to be a dick but holy shit, can't wait to hear more about no lag in this game.

There is lag.

Flav said it. I've said it. Just about everyone here has said it.

Flav described where the lag comes from, and then you herpaderped at him.

Anger makes you stupid.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #63 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:36pm:
Ok, I'm going to put fuel on the fire here... Change computer...

you know that my 8+ year old beast died recently... the Super Mario Room was a nightmare for me, It was frustrating ( for me and others ) and in the end most of the time I ended up suing the Bag Lift trick ( thankes for the Guild about that )...

First time in Super Mario Room with the Jump Impaired Cleric on the new computer... ( the specs are in the relevant thread where it belongs )... Lo Behold, I went through the room with the rest of the pack... I was the first surprised... I have yet to reproduce the thing ( On Call this week, not even trying to raid... it's like asking Murphy to show up ), but just how easy it was tells me that the issue was my decrepit dinosaur of a computer and not my lack of skill at Super Mario.

Hi Flav,
My rig is pretty current.  Spent over $5k upgrading it in the last 12 months (don't tell my wife).  Nothing wrong with my local display which is theoretically 100fps (according to DDO).
120Mbps+ cable connection

Unfortunately, it's the 300ms+ latency introduced by the hop across the Pacific pond that is the killer for the twitch aspects.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #64 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:41pm:
Fiber...

Turbine's people play from a LAN... so the only way for us to have something relatively similar is to use Fiber... and not the Basic fiber service... the Full Fledged Froggy Beast...
500Mb down/200Mb Up... they will loosen the limitation and go 1Gb Symetrical really fast, since that's what the interface cards can do, but honestly, you dont really need that much to play DDO even a good old fashioned V92 modem is enough to play without lag ( in that specific case : lag means lag generated by the last kilometer line... any lag generated by Turbine, your computer, and/or the rest of the network to reach the server is not considered ).

Is it easier for Turdbine to do some testing off site, or for all of its customers to get Fibre connections?
I just think they need to either do some testing from home, or get the PC/Lammania players to provide feedback on lag or potential lag issues.
Lag is a broad term, maybe they just need to be aware of latency issues and the impact this can have when it is beyond their control, because players will hold them accountable for perceived lag.

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #65 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:12pm:

Native of SFO. Bear in chaps is just a tuesday.

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #66 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Oh. Also. There is no lag. You need to reset your router. Turn off your AV. And pull your cheeks apart. But there is no lag.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #67 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 3:39am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Sep 7th, 2014 at 11:14pm:
Unfortunately, it's the 300ms+ latency introduced by the hop across the Pacific pond that is the killer for the twitch aspects.

do you have a traceroute ? That's weird... consider that the ones I posted made the trip from Paris to Stockholm ( Internal Corporate Notwork ), then down to Copenhagen, Amsterdam, London before crossing the Atlantic, and I still had a decent ping.

DropBear wrote on Sep 7th, 2014 at 11:24pm:
Is it easier for Turdbine to do some testing off site, or for all of its customers to get Fibre connections?
I just think they need to either do some testing from home, or get the PC/Lammania players to provide feedback on lag or potential lag issues.
Lag is a broad term, maybe they just need to be aware of latency issues and the impact this can have when it is beyond their control, because players will hold them accountable for perceived lag.

The problem is that Turbine has no power over ISPs and Carriers. That's one of the side effect of Net Neutrality.
Basically they can't do shit if the lag is beyond their border router, and no level of whining will change anything about it.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #68 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 3:39am:
do you have a traceroute ? That's weird... consider that the ones I posted made the trip from Paris to Stockholm ( Internal Corporate Notwork ), then down to Copenhagen, Amsterdam, London before crossing the Atlantic, and I still had a decent ping.

Losing 150-170ms crossing the Pacific - taking the scenic route.
Leaves my island and goes via Hong Kong, bounces around HK for a bit, then visits Taiwan (where it joins the cogent network) and then it next pops up in Wichita Kansas some time later?  Kansas - WTF?  Do they even have internet there??  (just jokes for those Kansas folks).

Flav wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 3:39am:
The problem is that Turbine has no power over ISPs and Carriers. That's one of the side effect of Net Neutrality.
Basically they can't do shit if the lag is beyond their border router, and no level of whining will change anything about it.

Fully appreciate that point.

But as you pointed out, they potentially have a weak spot in their trunk access that they cannot mitigate, they could perhaps take measures to compensate for latency issues.  Auto-detect features that modify certain settings....

I do realise the vast majority of their customers are US, so they're not going to design content for 100ms+ latency, but it would appear that many US customers are also being adversely affected by those trunk access issues you highlighted.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2014 at 4:35am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 4:43am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Sep 7th, 2014 at 11:14pm:
Hi Flav,
My rig is pretty current.  Spent over $5k upgrading it in the last 12 months (don't tell my wife).  Nothing wrong with my local display which is theoretically 100fps (according to DDO).
120Mbps+ cable connection

Holy shit $5K.  Post your specs  Cheesy

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #70 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 4:49am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 4:32am:
Wichita Kansas some time later?  Kansas - WTF?

As Wichita falls, so falls Wichita Falls Tongue

IP Logged

Xenophobe
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Kansas - WTF?  Do they even have internet there??  (just jokes for those Kansas folks).

According to a friend of mine, that recently had to move there for his job, "internet" is a bad word in Kansas.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2014 at 1:10pm by Xenophobe »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #72 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Losing 150-170ms crossing the Pacific - taking the scenic route.
Leaves my island and goes via Hong Kong, bounces around HK for a bit, then visits Taiwan (where it joins the cogent network) and then it next pops up in Wichita Kansas some time later?  Kansas - WTF?  Do they even have internet there??  (just jokes for those Kansas folks).

Fully appreciate that point.

But as you pointed out, they potentially have a weak spot in their trunk access that they cannot mitigate, they could perhaps take measures to compensate for latency issues.  Auto-detect features that modify certain settings....

I do realise the vast majority of their customers are US, so they're not going to design content for 100ms+ latency, but it would appear that many US customers are also being adversely affected by those trunk access issues you highlighted.

Well you could have taken the southern route in the US : from Frisco, to Denver, to Houston, Atlanta, and then Boston. so that bit could have been worse.

But I fully expected a link to Hawai from Oz and Kiwi Country. I know the Frog Lands over there have one.

As for mitigating latencies... the Problem of TCP/IP ( and all the stuff piled on top of it in the stack ) is that it's basically unaware of what happens at a lower layer and how said lower layer works. ( in TCP/IP and UDP it means that the packets have no clue of the medium they are carried on, and as long as they reach destination before the protocol timeout, everything is fine... protocol timeout is.... Long... Think that the stack was designed in the dawn of the seventies, when long distance communication between computers meant 600 bauds modems... ).
and the Ethernet/TCP/IP/UDP suite is not the worst... Take X.25 ( designed more or less at the same time, for Telecoms ).... Time out between a packet and it's retransmission can be up to two seconds ( it's configurable )... and you can retransmit the packet up to 20 times before you go in timeout... so that's basically 40 fucking seconds... Talk about a very long time ( ok, it's way shorter in Ethernet/TCP/IP/UDP, but it's still a matter of several hundred of milliseconds. )
And contrary to X.25, in TCP/IP you cannot configure the timout values...
Add to that the fact that UDP ( that's the protocol used for many things in game ) is basically a connection less, unreliable protocol ( you send the packets with the information and pray that they will reach destination )... So everything is against auto-detecting features to streamline network communication.

100+ms is propagation time expected, 300+ not anymore in modern days... except in Telecoms, because we have protocols that way longer than that to react ( see X.25... default propagation time is 800ms.  ).

IP Logged

Nuckinfutz
Titan Demolisher

The Pig's a tease.

Reply #73 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
My Lag is about 14 inches and hangs to the right.

Felgor wrote on May 21st, 2013 at 3:45am:
DDO died a long time ago, we just all have trouble admitting it.

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #74 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Nuckinfutz wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:53pm:
My Lag is about 14 inches and hangs to the right.

So you're a crooked lag midget, thanks for letting us know.

edit: found your pic
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2014 at 6:16pm by NOTdarth »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint