Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wizard/Fighter build advice (Read 2149 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Wizard/Fighter build advice
Feb 9th, 2015 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
I'm torn, here:

2 Rogue/6 Wizard/12 Fighter

OR

3 Paladin/5 Wizard/12 Fighter

Either way we are starting with an Iconic Bladeforged base and several past-lives. The character will be using 2-handed weapons and 2-handed fighting, mostly greatswords, but sort of switching out between swords and axes(I have A LOT of each...)

This is also going to be a major flower-sniffing life, I plan to be in this life for a good long while as I farm for gear and really explore content.

Amongst others I am not going to TR again until I get an epic sword of shadow Tongue I don't care if it's not the best, at this point its straight up bling. My favorite part of the game is collecting stuff.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Re: Wizard/Fighter build advice
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Well i guess you will stay in harmor or?
Hmm lotsa ap to negate spell failure for a hmm haste and displace.
Go with the palie version imo if you are really set for those 2 splits.
Benefits: no need to spend heart and saves to go semi god mode.
But little question why 3 levels?
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2015 at 3:29pm by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Auras, fear immunity, disease resistance, slightly better saves... to be honest, I don't really know.

I know I want 5-6 levels of wizard for perma-tensers and I know I want at-minimum 12 fighter levels.

I'm not dead-set on the specific split but that's basically what I want. And don't mind buying a heart(I have to get one someday Tongue)

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Add in a second diety-based weapon feat for a 3rd paladin level(so +1 to hit and +1 to damage) not huge but ok. And a touch of extra smite damage.

I guess the 3rd paladin level is not so much "Why?" as "Why Not?". A 6th wizard level only adds an extra level 3 spell, not hugely valuable. A 13th fighter level is similarly lackluster.

Of course if I go with the rogue build, now it looks like 3 rogue/5 wizard is going to be better(lil extra sneak attack, some help trapping).

Then again, the paladin has the advantage of being basically "ready" out of the gate(meaning I'd level right to 15 and already have my 3 paladin/5 wizard bits) and just takes fighter levels to 20. Since I'm not springing for a +3 heart, the rogue version would be 1 rouge/5 wizard/9 fighter, taking levels 16 and 17 as rogue levels.

And, honestly, since I kind of hate trapping and love not noticing traps, I am starting to heavily favor the paladin build.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
True Seeing doesn't get you into all secret doors anymore. It's still good enough for most though. Otherwise, at least one level of something that gives Search.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Odin212
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 12:43am
Print Post  
why not replace those 12 levels in fighter with 12 levels in pallie that will get you more manna and good paladin spells as well fighter is really only buying you some feats, additionally it allows you to use someone other than a robot if you want to because pally built in heals. With only 6 levels in wizard your you will have to settle for only serious repair.  Additionally unless your taking rogue for the evasion you cold replace your rogue levels with artificer levels. Artificer gets trap finding and at 3 levels you could take elemental weapons, Byeshk weapons ect

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Quote:
fighter is really only buying you some feats, additionally it allows you to use someone other than a robot if you want to because pally built in heals.

with only 15 paladin your better off using scrolls in heroic, cocoon in epic.

Quote:
With only 6 levels in wizard your you will have to settle for only serious repair.

If only there was a way to get reconstruct as a racial sla. .

Quote:
Additionally unless your taking rogue for the evasion you cold replace your rogue levels with artificer levels. Artificer gets trap finding and at 3 levels

You mean trap making, guess what, so does rogue.

Quote:
you could take elemental weapons, Byeshk weapons ect

I'd rather get rogues sneak attack dice, even if I was wearing heavy armor.

Quote:
why not replace those 12 levels in fighter with 12 levels in pallie that will get you more manna and good paladin spells

You should have stopped here. Please go to Jerry's forums, you'll fit right in there.

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2015 at 2:02am by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Op, are you after blade forged fighter lives?

If so, I'd be seriously considering a tree build over your proposals.

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Odin212 wrote on Feb 10th, 2015 at 12:43am:
why not replace those 12 levels in fighter with 12 levels in pallie

Because then I wouldn't be a fighter.

This may be a flower-sniffin' life but I still plan to TR eventually. Fighter past lives are what I need.

With the Reconstruct SLA I've got so much self-healing I'll be fine. I've already decided that I'm never doing another non-bladeforged life, its just so trouble-free. I just did a scroll-healing life and it was miserable, just give me that old-time blue-bar healing.

Munk, what do you mean by a Tree Build?

IP Logged

Red Sox H8 Yankees
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Bladeforged SLA is superior so you are required to have pally levels unless you HoW into Rogue levels.  Pally 3 would mean that you would have to choose Wizard 5/Fighter12 or Wizard6/Fighter 11.  Both of these options have drawbacks.  Wizard 5 would cost you a good spell slot (Rage, Haste and Displacement).  Fighter 11 would cost you Power Surge.

I'm not sure if Pally 2 would be the best choice.  Not really sure what the 3rd level would gain you.

Another consideration will be AC (maybe).  If you wanted to invest in AC then you must have Adamatine body, which would add Arcane Spell Failure.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the razor wire fence.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Feb 10th, 2015 at 12:53pm:
Munk, what do you mean by a Tree Build?

Go read the trees shall rise thread, if you've already got all your Bladeforged lives it would make sense to try get a PDK fighter past life.

Class split would likely be 8fighter/6cleric/6monk.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Red Sox H8 Yankees wrote on Feb 10th, 2015 at 6:05pm:
Wizard 5 would cost you a good spell slot (Rage, Haste and Displacement

Is rage really worth considering when a potion lasts for 1:30?

I'd wager the better argument is 12 seconds less haste/displace per extended cast.  Either way there's no way I'd go 11/fighter/6wiz  instead of 12fighter/5wiz. Power surge and a feat slot is imo, worth more than 6th wizard provides.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2015 at 7:50pm by Munkenmo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint