Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Build help - druid wolf swf+twf build (Read 27743 times)
Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Build help - druid wolf swf+twf build
Mar 9th, 2015 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
I'm relatively new to DDO, about two months in on my first life, at midway through level 21, and it just sucks (took dreadnaught and have 4 pts in it so far btw).

I bought a +20 LR heart rather than re-roll and I'd like to make him into the build discussed here for the swf+twf winter wolf druid multiclass.

I took my first two levels as rogue and the rest as fighter and ranger, so i can def switch out to a druid/fighter/ranger build - the only caveat is that the first two lives must be fighter or ranger to make it happen.

I understand the basic concept - but how to make this work with a 28pt build and non end game gear is a little confusing.

I have +2 tomes used on every stat and a +3 on strength.

I do not have 32 pt build unlocked obviously.

So, to summarise:

A human 28pt build needing to take fighter (probably) or ranger as first two lives with +2 tomes on all skills except str (has +3) -
- how do I get this guy to work half decently with the winter wolf druid sw+twf build?

Just looking at a basic breakdown of what levels  to take when, what enhancements might change under these restrictions (considering no past lifes, no EE gear,  just a few points in dreadnaught), what skills i should be using as a basic attack sequence (is it just DOD and autoattacks?) , and if possible, what non EE content gear I should be looking to get asap.

Thanks - I know most of you are long time players, so I appreciate any pointers you'd have.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2015 at 6:13pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Build help - druid wolf swf+twf build
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
the very first thing I would do is edit your post so as to not confuse the word "lifes" with "levels" I had to pause and backtrack for a second at that.

most of it you have correct, swap out those rogue levels straight away, I would probably take the first 2 levels as ranger, then follow the build path as best you can (2 ranger, then 9 druid, 3 fighter, 4 ranger, 1 druid, 1 fighter)

gear is not a big deal on this build, as it gets a lot of its power from its build design rather then from end game gear (though it obviously helps) just getting some estar sets and shadowfail quest reward gear will be enough to get you started. something like the sacrificial dagger is a fun start at 20ish.

28 point build is not that big of a problem, the only stat requirement is a dex of 17 for the final twf. so just start with a dex of 15 and your tome will cover it, or 14 +1 level point, etc. then even out str and con, maybe a tiny bit of wis but should not matter too much. remember to put 7 ranks into balance for swf as well.

change in feats, you don't have completionist so cannot help there, maybe a toughness. at level 1 take swf and whatever other feat (can slip power attack in here and take something else at 15) then pick up empower heal at 3 and quicken at 6 and your on track to the build.

hope that helps  Wink welcome to the vault, watch your step.

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2015 at 6:19pm by Lehane »  

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the pointer - changed the lifes/levels ambiguity.

I'll def make sure the dex of 17 is there for the final GTWF feat.

Thank you for your help.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 5:38pm:
took my first two levels as rogue and the rest as fighter and ranger, so i can def switch out to a druid/fighter/ranger build - the only caveat is that the first two lives must be fighter or ranger to make it happen

Only level 1 has to be ranger or fighter, you'll be fine from level 2 onwards.

28pt Druid build
10/6/4 Druid/Ranger/Fighter
True Neutral Human

Level Order

1. Ranger          6. Druid          11. Druid          16. Ranger
2. Druid           7. Druid          12. Ranger         17. Fighter
3. Druid           8. Druid          13. Ranger         18. Fighter
4. Druid           9. Druid          14. Ranger         19. Fighter
5. Druid          10. Druid          15. Ranger         20. Fighter

Stats
               28pt     Tome     Level Up
               ----     ----     --------
Strength        16       +2       4: STR
Dexterity       15       +2       8: STR
Constitution    15       +2      12: STR
Intelligence    10       +2      16: STR
Wisdom           8       +2      20: STR
Charisma         8       +2      24: STR
                                 28: STR

Feats

1        : Single Weapon Fighting
1 Human  : Precision
1 Ranger : Favored Enemy: Undead
3        : Empower Healing Spell
3 Druid  : Wild Shape 1: Wolf
6        : Quicken Spell
6 Druid  : Wild Shape 1: Bear
9        : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
9 Druid  : Wild Shape 2: Winter Wolf
12        : Improved Critical: Bludgeoning
15        : Natural Fighting
15 Ranger : Favored Enemy: Monstrous Humanoid
17 Fighter: Greater Single Weapon Fighting
18        : Natural Fighting
18 Fighter: Greater Two Weapon Fighting
20 Fighter: Quick Draw
21 Epic   : Overwhelming Critical
24 Epic   : Natural Fighting
26 Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
27 Epic   : Epic Damage Reduction
28 Destiny: First Blood

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2015 at 8:20pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Two things I forgot to ask:

Does the build utilize any spells during its attack sequence except the heals?

I see the main build listing suggests a 11 druid change as a possibility at the loss of 6th level ranger (and itwf) which would suggest doing it to get the druids 6th level spells and I just dont know if thats a dps loss for raid utility or if its a dps buff from using spells during a wolfs attack cycle (like the knockdown spell).

Thanks again and I apologise for the nubbiness. Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2015 at 12:53am by Fail »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:08pm:
I see the main build listing suggests a 11 druid change as a possibility at the loss of 6th level ranger

It's primarily to be able to cast fireshield and frostbite.  Frostbite is obviously a DPS spell, but it means you can no longer fit in quickdraw.

I prefer the 10/6/4 split, primarily because I'm always clicking on action boosts and quickdraw cuts the downtime.  11/5/4 is probably the better split from an all rounded perspective.

Fail wrote on Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:08pm:
Does the build utilize any spells during its attack sequence except the heals?

Not really, most of the spells are buffs & heals.  There are a couple of spells that are useful before an encounter (ice storm) but once in combat you're much better off meleeing than casting.

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 12:17am
Print Post  
That clears that up nicely - thanks again.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2015 at 12:58am by Fail »  

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
I've done the LR and now i find im having issues getting an orb for my Off Hand and finding armor thats medium/heavy that doesnt break the druidic oath but keeps the enhancement bonuses of the build.

What can  I do to keep swf and twf both active? 

Can I just use a weapon in my main and keep my offhand empty or do I just use two sacrificial dagger's (picked off auction at second posters suggestion)?

My only option for a usable armor at 20 seems to go get a black dragonscale from gianthold (correct?)

Do I just run with light armor until i get enough scales to get that?

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2015 at 5:01pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Mar 10th, 2015 at 4:48pm:
I've done the LR and now i find im having issues getting an orb for my Off Hand and finding armor thats medium/heavy that doesnt break the druidic oath but keeps the enhancement bonuses of the build.

What can  I do to keep swf and twf both active? 

Can I just use a weapon in my main and keep my offhand empty or do I just use two sacrificial dagger's (picked off auction at second posters suggestion)?

My only option for a usable armor at 20 seems to go get a black dragonscale from gianthold (correct?)

Do I just run with light armor until i get enough scales to get that?

Thanks again.

Dragon armors, yes.
Try madstone skull for heroic, very easy to get and can slot devotion in it.
Nothing, just make sure you get the swf icon, if you get it then you are alrdy using both 2weapon and swf.
Druids attacks are coded so that whatever you use it will count as 2 weapon fight

IP Logged

Lehane
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Yeah what Lulu said, just wield one weapon or sword and orb in human form like your a normal swf, then turn into a wolf. . .and that it Tongue

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Ok, good to know about looking for that icon.

I really wish there were more armor choices, but hell, with this dps, I can bear it for a little while.

lol

I just want to say that after lurking for a bit and seeing some of the drama here n there, I didnt really think I would get such  positive responses and really helpful posts - I'm blown away.

Thank all of you. SERIOUSLY. Thank you. Grin

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Terrorweb Chitin is leather. Leaves of the Forest is made of wood if you want to try that. I'm not sure if Dragontouched counts as metal or not.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 9:35am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 10th, 2015 at 10:52pm:
Terrorweb Chitin is leather. Leaves of the Forest is made of wood if you want to try that. I'm not sure if Dragontouched counts as metal or not.

dragontouched from reavers reach is metal

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Im considering dropping quicken spell for dwarven axe proficiency (gain glancing blows), as i dont allow myself to get completely swarmed and dont really need it.

Before I use my free feat respec, I'd like to know if there is a better weapon base I should be looking at - I havent seen much talk of the weapons the build utilizes best (if there is a better one than bswords or daxes).

I'd also like to know if you guys feel DoD needs 3 levels to do its thing or can I get awya with just one in EE - havent quite got there yet in gear terms.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2015 at 9:15pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 8:14pm:
Im considering dropping quicken spell for dwarven axe proficiency (gain glancing blows), as i dont allow myself to get completely swarmed and dont really need it.

Before I use my free feat respec, I'd like to know if there is a better weapon base I should be looking at - I havent seen much talk of the weapons the build utilizes best (if there is a better one than bswords or daxes).

I'd also like to know if you guys feel DoD needs 3 levels to do its thing or can I get awya with just one in EE - havent quite got there yet in gear terms.

Bsword and Daxe are both worthless a waste of a feat in a wolf build as you cannot get glancing blows.

It doesn't really matter what you swing, the game will roll it as a bite attack. So as long as you are proficient and it is one-handed you're good to go. Your main concern is always going to be the effects on the weapon. Thunderforged is obviously the best, Sacrificial Dagger is pretty good until then.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2015 at 11:13pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Understood. I hadnt realised that. Ty.

I have been (attempting) to read up on the build and various incarnations, wolf attack facts, etc.

The druid has a lot going on under the hood. Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2015 at 12:27am by Fail »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 1:11am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 11:13pm:
It doesn't really matter what you swing, the game will roll it as a bite attack. So as long as you are proficient and it is one-handed you're good to go. Your main concern is always going to be the effects on the weapon. Thunderforged is obviously the best, Sacrificial Dagger is pretty good until then.

It's a great time to pull out those, "Oh, this would be great if it wasn't a dagger/light mace/club/etc." you come across in random loot or for cheap in the AH.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Mar 14th, 2015 at 1:11am:
It's a great time to pull out those, "Oh, this would be great if it wasn't a dagger/light mace/club/etc." you come across in random loot or for cheap in the AH.

Exactly.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Do any ruby gems effects like vorpal work on orbs with this build?

I dont have any way to check reliably (or at least know how), and I see the wiki says it shouldn't, but figured I'd ask.

I know I have more questions every day, so I'll just toss the only other one out that I have:

In addition to the orb slot issue, I was wondering if the general idea of the build in epic levels (first life) is to buy your way past shiradi from dreadnaught with the TP purchase, or do you just suck it up and push through for three epic levels?
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2015 at 7:45pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #19 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 8:25pm:
Do any ruby gems effects like vorpal work on orbs with this build?

No, orb slot is for spellpower.

Fail wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 8:25pm:
In addition to the orb slot issue, I was wondering if the general idea of the build in epic levels (first life) is to buy your way past shiradi from dreadnaught with the TP purchase, or do you just suck it up and push through for three epic levels?

There used to be free and easy features to bypass, but you'll have to pay nowadays.

I would just suck it up and push through though, as you'll eventually want every destiny at level 5 for fate points anyway.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I just got enough mats to do a TF weapon, so putting aside my dagger, what goes best with this spec as far as EE content goes?

That i - what, if any, are optimal options to take on making the weapon for this build?

I'm presuming all proc oriented, but not sure which might be best or if whats best changes depending on other gear.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2015 at 8:40pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

Convert
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Mar 29th, 2015 at 8:34pm:
I just got enough mats to do a TF weapon, so putting aside my dagger, what goes best with this spec as far as EE content goes?

That i - what, if any, are optimal options to take on making the weapon for this build?

I'm presuming all proc oriented, but not sure which might be best or if whats best changes depending on other gear.

1st degree burns-> dragons edge-> mortal fear is optimal. As long as the weapon is swf compatible type doesn't matter much, as wolf changes it to 19-20 x3 pierce/slash no matter what you wear. Pick something useful on another life for when they fix twf/swf someday (never).
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2015 at 11:29pm by Convert »  

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Thanks, but what you said has me questioning my wearing an item that gives reinforced fists - i had assumed items transferred over properties.

Do I get the half unarmed die from wearing this?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #23 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 1:05am:
Thanks, but what you said has me questioning my wearing an item that gives reinforced fists - i had assumed items transferred over properties.

Do I get the half unarmed die from wearing this?

Only if you have wraps equipped.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #24 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Convert wrote on Mar 29th, 2015 at 11:26pm:
1st degree burns-> dragons edge-> mortal fear is optimal. As long as the weapon is swf compatible type doesn't matter much, as wolf changes it to 19-20 x3 pierce/slash no matter what you wear. Pick something useful on another life for when they fix twf/swf someday (never).

1st degree burns is only optimal when soloing, since there are like 100 different sources of vulnerable and they all go in the same "pool" that stacks at 20. I usually use a Touch of Flames in groups and 1st degree burns for solo.

Also, the bleed damage on crit portion of Dragon's Edge seems to be bugged and completely not functioning right now, so there is a strong argument for Wrath of Flames or even a purple slot.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint