Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Turbine's Infinite Crisis now finite (Read 48443 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: Turbine's Infinite Crisis now finite
Reply #50 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 4:09am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 9:21pm:
Now that you have stemmed the loss of players, fixed the engagement of new players and addressed some of the issues driving away old players, time to act.
A concerted marketing campaign.
Get back old players - use the contact details you have.  No more promises of future fixes, they're already done.  New content added, new features added - come try DDO again. 
Reward loyalty - look at VIP benefits and offer something nice for people who stay active for 12/24/36/60 mths etc (regardless of FTP/Prem/VIP status).
Advertise for new players in appropriate channels. 
Get a presence at major game fairs and conventions (use your long standing players to attend local cons in countries you cannot justifying sending reps to).

This is where Turbine has always dropped the ball.  Any other major corporation will totally kiss a clients ass to get them back.  Keep offering them more for less until they come back into the fold.  Turbine should constantly be sending emails to old players to update them to whatever new changes are being made and offering incentive programs to return. 

Been gone a year?  50% off an Otto boxes or 75% off a class of your choice. 

Cancelled your subscription?  Special offer for 3 months subscription for 5 dollars a month. 

They should be giving shit away left and right to hold on to their player base.  Exclusive pets for keeping a subscription for a year or whatever.  Anything to keep players playing and old players coming back.

In case no one in Turbine has ever taken even a basic business course, let me spell it out for you -

You know what's better than making NO money from a former client?  Making ANY fucking money you can from them.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Also taken from that forum, but it's a link to reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/38d5c5/infinite_crisisanother...

Quote:
As an ex IC pro it's really sad to see it getting closed, but the devs just did a really bad job overall with the game. The engine being bad didnt help aswell, the only thing the game had were the DC Heroes which is pretty awesome. They tried to hard to copy LoL instead of making their own game. They also pumped too much into the competitive scene. Our Season 2 Finals had 25k pricepool with 2 EU and 2 NA teams and had overall 300 viewers. The devs just did so many things wrong and thats about it, it was just a matter of time.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #52 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 4:09am:
This is where Turbine has always dropped the ball.  Any other major corporation will totally kiss a clients ass to get them back.  Keep offering them more for less until they come back into the fold.  Turbine should constantly be sending emails to old players to update them to whatever new changes are being made and offering incentive programs to return. 

Been gone a year?  50% off an Otto boxes or 75% off a class of your choice. 

Cancelled your subscription?  Special offer for 3 months subscription for 5 dollars a month. 

They should be giving shit away left and right to hold on to their player base.  Exclusive pets for keeping a subscription for a year or whatever.  Anything to keep players playing and old players coming back.

In case no one in Turbine has ever taken even a basic business course, let me spell it out for you -

You know what's better than making NO money from a former client?  Making ANY fucking money you can from them.

I'm surprised they haven't tried it, but in some ways it's probably for the best.
Bringing people back to the current game would not be good.

I think all they have internally are a bunch of computer geeks who think the world (and business) operates like software development.  Actually, I wouldn't even say they're competent software development professionals as they don't even have the fundamentals of version control, alpha/beta/delta testingand QA/QC.  I'm not sure what project control philosophy they run - seems like the anarchy model?

Maybe a few of them like Paiz have done a weekend course in business and think they're Harvard MBA material.

Whatever they're doing isn't working and they need to change.
The decline in DDO has been constant and it shouldn't be attributed to the age of the game or the visuals.  People don't play DDO looking for Far Cry 10 visuals.  The attraction is old school like Civilisation - changing challenge, replayability, nuances in the complexity.

The low budget, bottom of the barrel approach is a terrible way to do business unless you're in the 1800's or you mass produce widgets and the only way to survive is to be bottom quartile on the cost curve.

Software doesn't work that way
Turdbine have a niche - they should embrace it and use it.
Aim for a small team environment - that's fine, but get the best you can afford.  And get the right people, not just the leftovers from previous retrenchments, because their desk happened to be on right side of the building.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2015 at 5:44am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #53 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
ok, stupid Frog question of the day....

I just parsed out that the just announced Lego World ( Lego version of minecraft ) was made by WB Games....

the question is : is WB Games just Turbine or is there any otrher development studio owned by WB ?

just asking because it might be one of the reasons why they killed IC...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #54 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 1:20pm:
ok, stupid Frog question of the day....

I just parsed out that the just announced Lego World ( Lego version of minecraft ) was made by WB Games....

the question is : is WB Games just Turbine or is there any otrher development studio owned by WB ?

just asking because it might be one of the reasons why they killed IC...

They own Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment which has the following studios under it:

- Monolith Productions in Kirkland, Washington, founded in 1994, acquired in 2004
- NetherRealm Studios in Chicago, founded as Midway Games Chicago in 1988, acquired from Midway Games on July 27, 2009 and renamed in 2010
- Rocksteady Studios in London, founded in 2004 and majority stake acquired in February 2010
- TT Games in Maidenhead, England, founded in 2005, acquired November 8, 2007 Traveller's Tales in Knutsford, England, founded in 1989, reorganized as division of TT Games in 2005
- TT Fusion in Wilmslow, England, founded in 2005 as Embryonic Studios, acquired by TT Games in 2006
- Turbine in Needham, Massachusetts, founded in 1994, acquired in 2010
- Warner Bros. Games Montréal in Montreal, founded in 2010
- Warner Bros. Games San Francisco in San Francisco, founded in 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._Interactive_Entertainment
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2015 at 1:52pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #55 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Ok, so it can be any of the other...

Prospect are looking bleaker and bleaker as time pass for Turbine.... Lets just hope that DDO andf LoTRO are bringing more than marginal revenue...

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #56 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Lego Worlds is TT.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #57 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 1:51pm:
They own Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment which has the following studios under it:

- Monolith Productions in Kirkland, Washington, founded in 1994, acquired in 2004
- NetherRealm Studios in Chicago, founded as Midway Games Chicago in 1988, acquired from Midway Games on July 27, 2009 and renamed in 2010
- Rocksteady Studios in London, founded in 2004 and majority stake acquired in February 2010
- TT Games in Maidenhead, England, founded in 2005, acquired November 8, 2007 Traveller's Tales in Knutsford, England, founded in 1989, reorganized as division of TT Games in 2005
- TT Fusion in Wilmslow, England, founded in 2005 as Embryonic Studios, acquired by TT Games in 2006
- Turbine in Needham, Massachusetts, founded in 1994, acquired in 2010
- Warner Bros. Games Montréal in Montreal, founded in 2010
- Warner Bros. Games San Francisco in San Francisco, founded in 2013

They basically acquired everyone holding WoTC licenses. Snatched it all up over 5 years.

We I just pooped a little...Warner Communications is a division of Time Warner, who owns Warner Bros. Who owns Turbine. Is the same division that owns Atari. Who sued Turbine. Family Feud or what...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Online
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizards_of_the_Coast

What the actual fuck

and...
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2015 at 2:59pm by Luxgolg »  

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #58 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
WoTC owns it all Time Warner is the only authorized user!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wizards_of_the_Coast_products

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #59 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
And the guys at TT Games(UK) are all ex Codemasters employees. Codemasters owned DDO after Atari, before WB

Dungeons & Dragons Online
Developer(s)      Turbine
Publisher(s)      
Atari (former)
Codemasters (former)
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (current)

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #60 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:06pm:
And the guys at TT Games(UK) are all ex Codemasters employees. Codemasters owned DDO after Atari, before WB

Nope, Codemasters was the European Representative for running the game... Basically they were to Atari what Turbine was at that time : the company that ran the game.

And be careful with the Atari name...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infogrames_Entertainment,_SA

Atari life is as messy as their relation with DDO... if not more...

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #61 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:37pm:
Nope, Codemasters was the European Representative for running the game... Basically they were to Atari what Turbine was at that time : the company that ran the game.

And be careful with the Atari name...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infogrames_Entertainment,_SA

Atari life is as messy as their relation with DDO... if not more...

Agreed. My time here at work only allows me to go so far down the rabbit hole. Lots of info there I didnt really want to know

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #62 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
And see there I went...Down again

Atari(infrogames SA) sold Cryptic, who was bought by ... wait for it. PERFECT WORLD  in May 2011. Neverwinter was released 2 years later.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #63 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
It's all incestuous, all the way down.  GoT in real life.  Smiley

We've reached this odd state in gaming where there's a ton of indy stuff since the tools are all pretty good and cheap enough that if you have a brilliant idea, you can make it happen, but there's so much money in blockbusters (GTA/CoD) that you really have to spend 150 million dollars to put out something that won't get murdered online.  People take this shit seriously now... you used to be able to get away with having some intern do the voiceovers, but that won't cut it anymore.

Not many places can handle that expense, so you see EA et al. buying everything.  "No way, this is my bab- wait, what?  You'll give me 50 million dollars to walk away?  OK, seeya."

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 4:15pm:
We've reached this odd state in gaming

I think this applies to media in general, not just gaming. Some major changes are in progress and being enormous conglomerations of companies wont save them from the culture shift

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #65 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 6:39pm:
I think this applies to media in general, not just gaming. Some major changes are in progress and being enormous conglomerations of companies wont save them from the culture shift

Yeah, the Sony problem.  I'm just worried about shit like Comcast - if we don't come up with some serious net neutrality guidelines...  now they're producing the content AND delivering it.  There's a great idea for competition.

I suppose the "culture shift" is inevitable, but look at almost every major city in America for high-speed access: you want cable or "phone?"  Verizon doesn't even want to lay fiber lines anymore, they're pushing wireless like crazy, but you still have these government-mandated monopolies.  We need South Korea's model, but the US is so huge (geographically) and so wasteful (Clinton gave Verizon 6 billion dollars which disappeared with no progress) that any kind of backbone upgrades are taking forever.  It's sad.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #66 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 6:39pm:
Some major changes are in progress and being enormous conglomerations of companies wont save them from the culture shift

This. Companies like Goblinworks and Grinding Gear Games are going to eat the Turbines of the industry for lunch. It will be only a nibble each, but they will swarm like piranahs. Steam starts delivery of The Steam Machine this fall, a whole school of Indie developers is about to breach the shieldwall. Release the Sardaukar!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jun 4th, 2015 at 11:43pm:
Sorry, Bear. It's not like Turbine/WB doesn't know these things. Ignorance might be a coping mechanism among the peons, but management has agreed to see the "http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Fernando4.png model" to its bitter end. Frankly, they are doing the whole industry a huge fucking favor.

Other gaming studio: Should we try the http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Fernando4.png model?

Answer: LoTRO, DDO. Infinite Crisis.

Other gaming studio: Jesus. Now I understand the five minutes of swearing.

The F model.
Sad but strangely accurate. All wagons are attached to the F train...

I will watch with popcorn.

As for the industry changing-yes it is. And the publishers see it too. There is investment again for the mid tier high quality games. They are finally seeing that games do not have to be NVidia tech demos to be popular. See Wasteland, Pillars of Eternity exc. They are taking real notice of the grassroots professional market. They know we don't need them-from crowd funding, early access, ingame sales stuff and VC's, so the bargaining table is unlike anything the industry has ever seen. Partnerships instead of hostile buyout. Refreshing.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #68 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
It's exciting, but then you have stuff like CLANG, where people feel hosed.  That's probably inevitable, but it does shift the burden of risk to the player.

Fun though.  I'd rather fund some dungeon crawling thing than Madden '42.  They can pay for that one themselves.  Smiley

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #69 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:07am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 10:23pm:
The F model.
Sad but strangely accurate. All wagons are attached to the F train...

Why though? 
Does he have leverage in the form of videos of the execs playing nude leapfrog together?

Doesn't the consistent decline of both decent product lines (and implosion of IC) appear on anyone's radar as a concern?

I hope WB goes in and cleans house.
There still appears to be a shitload of middle mgmt at Turdbine - wtf do they do?

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #70 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:39am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:07am:
There still appears to be a shitload of middle mgmt at Turdbine - wtf do they do?

Ride the F train.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #71 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:50pm:
And see there I went...Down again

Atari(infrogames SA) sold Cryptic, who was bought by ... wait for it. PERFECT WORLD  in May 2011. Neverwinter was released 2 years later.

Yup, you didn't know ?

Cryptic was only a few month away from releasing NWO when they were sold to PWE.
At that time NWO was NOT an MMO.... it was a Multiplayer thing where people entered a lobby to form parties, and then enter quests...
( think a DDO with all the quests starting in the same Inn )

When PWE took over, they just rebuilt the game from scratch using their MMO tech.

Ah Pook wrote on Jun 5th, 2015 at 7:01pm:
Verizon doesn't even want to lay fiber lines anymore, they're pushing wireless like crazy, but you still have these government-mandated monopolies.  We need South Korea's model, but the US is so huge (geographically)

Go the Frog Way :
Government is forcing Telcos to cover X% of the population in a given number of year once they start deploying a new tech. ( for example : Free Mobile, the latest mobile operator has to cover 90% of the Frog Population with his own Antennas in 5 years...  For the fiber it's a bit more complex, but it boil down to : the 4 French telcos have 10 years to cover 90% of the Population with fiber )
If they don't meet the requirements, they will get fined ( at least) or they can loose their license.... That's quite an incentive to deploy.

Revaulting wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:39am:
Ride the F train

Well it's going too fast now for them to jump out... They have to ride it out until the end if they want to come out of it relatively clean...

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #72 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 2:24am:
Well it's going too fast now for them to jump out... They have to ride it out until the end if they want to come out of it relatively clean...

For the metaphor maybe, but I still believe it could be recovered.
It would take a thorough clean out of the F virus to start with.
Anyone hitched to that stupid train would have to be shunted.

The problem with growing too large is that people care less about the entity and more about themselves.  It just becomes a gravy train to stepping stone your own career.
Unless they have some personal stake in Turdbine, they couldn't care about it beyond their ability to secure another job.
Smaller entities with some shareholding keeps the employees invested in the future, not just the here and now.  I wonder if F virus has his own cash invested in the Turdtanic?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #73 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 3:55am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jun 6th, 2015 at 3:47am:
I wonder if F virus has his own cash invested in the Turdtanic?

That would explain a great deal. Maybe he didn't invest cash, but maybe he gave himself stock as a bonus. It would make him much harder to remove. And from his point of view it's a good thing to hang on to - it's not worth much to sell and it provides job security. What a parasite that guy is.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

FredCouples
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Mr wrote on Jun 3rd, 2015 at 12:15pm:
Think how much better a decision it would have been to put all of that IC money in to a team to do nothing but fix bugs in DDO.

I don't know, IC resulted in Eladrin being moved off of DDO.

Which is possibly the best thing to ever happen to the game.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint