Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The good thing list! (Read 5558 times)
gawker
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

The good thing list!
Sep 9th, 2015 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Greetings all, as some of you may know I got B&B on D&D, that's Burned-out and Banned a few months ago. After my ban expired I couldn't get back into the game, I was cured!

Now instead of telling you all the super groovy things I have been doing since getting the Turby-monkey off my back I thought we could do a collaboration project.

See yesterday something wonderful happened, I had to buy a new lap-top, and since I wasn't worried about getting a game capable machine? it WAS SO FUCKING CHEAP! which was a excellent example of the kinds of side effects you get for not playing DDO anymore.

So without further preamble,

The Best part about not playing DDO anymore is:

-Not having to spend 2k on the new Alien-ware laptop
-Having sex on a regular basis ($ + time invested + location = getting busy)
-Actually sleeping at night
-Actually waking up in the morning
-Not having to wear a head-set
-Not having to read Turby posts
-Not having to GRIND for mats and loot (still grinding though  Wink)
-No lag in real world
-Getting to see player faces when their characters die
-Getting to roll real dice

I could go on, but I thought I would start and let others join in
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2015 at 2:56pm by gawker »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: The good thing list!
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Reading.  I think I've read a good 20 books in the last 3 or so months I've given games in general a break.

Playing other games.  Yes, depending on the changes at the time, ddo is a great game - but it's not the greatest game ever.  It really becomes a habit.  You go through the same levels over and over so you can TR to get stronger and get better gear so you can go through the same levels over and over again - just slightly quicker/faster.  It's like those damned old anti-coke commercials. 

I've went weeks before, just TRing over and over and really hating damn near every second of it, but it really is a type of addiction.  I usually end up grateful when turbine screws us so bad I end up rage quitting.  I end up playing different games that might not be as challenging as DDO, but, over all, they're more enjoyable.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Wait, you need a two thousand dollar, top of the line laptop to run this old crap..?

In the last few years when I wasn't playing, I found I did more as there wasn't my usual go-to easy answer leisure option.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I've been playing this game for 8 years.  And I find I enjoy it most when I play more casually.  Making time for job, wife, kids, reading, house work, movies, TV, friends, sports, etc.  Sure, only have one completionist (not triple completionist) and about 24 epic past lives combined on my two main characters, but I enjoy playing when I get the chance.  I don't seem to burn out content nor do I get too worked up if something is broken. 

The only thing I don't do much of is play other games.  I have limited gaming time and I give most of it to DDO. 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 3:46pm:
Wait, you need a two thousand dollar, top of the line laptop to run this old crap..?

In the last few years when I wasn't playing, I found I did more as there wasn't my usual go-to easy answer leisure option.

No you don't.  That's an Alienware 17 or 18.  You pay mega bucks for the bigger screens.  He also mentioned a laptop.  Laptops are notorious for going really weak on the graphics card.  It is way more expensive to get a laptop with a decent card than a desktop and keep it cool.  And, besides Alienware, there aren't even a lot of options for gaming laptops.  Most expensive business or personal use laptops are putting more into things you don't need for gaming and still going weak on the graphics card.

An equivalent desktop would be half the price.  But if you want mobility, you pay for it.

IP Logged

FTL
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 4:56pm:
And, besides Alienware, there aren't even a lot of options for gaming laptops.  Most expensive business or personal use laptops are putting more into things you don't need for gaming and still going weak on the graphics card.

Depending on where you live not always true... MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS all have a range of gaming laptops which are far cheaper than that shit Dell release.

Alienware are just over priced fucking garbage for what they are, they over heat for toffee again due to Dell being fucking tards and not making the chassis with enough room in it for the hardware they install.

IP Logged

Sasha
Abbot Raider

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
You basically described quitting gaming all together lol.

Personally, the best two things are: not being bored as fuck all day doing the same faceroll content I've been doing for years and just having more time in general to study/do shit I want.

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
gawker wrote on Sep 9th, 2015 at 2:54pm:
Greetings all, as some of you may know I got B&B on D&D, that's Burned-out and Banned a few months ago. After my ban expired I couldn't get back into the game, I was cured!

Now instead of telling you all the super groovy things I have been doing since getting the Turby-monkey off my back I thought we could do a collaboration project.

See yesterday something wonderful happened, I had to buy a new lap-top, and since I wasn't worried about getting a game capable machine? it WAS SO FUCKING CHEAP! which was a excellent example of the kinds of side effects you get for not playing DDO anymore.

-No lag in real world

If it's so great why are you posting here? I mean seriously? yippee for you but anyone who manages their time properly could do all those things and still play end game content.

Just saying.

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Now it's time to quit the vault.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I haven't quit, but I've significantly reduced my playing since The Enhancement Crash. That was a 2-3 week break where I couldn't really play while I re-learned enhancements, and I found that when I was done I didn't really care. It didn't help Turdbin's cause that most of my guild took even longer than it took me. But since then I've played some other games both electronic and P&P. So here's my list

-More cash to spend on other games as I am now spending a couple hundred a year less on DDO (that's for my whole family, not just me, but I pay for them all so I count it)
-More time for other MMOs - I enjoyed Neverwinter Online, and I'm still loving Path of Exile.
-More time for P&P - Toon and Pathfinder mostly, but some boardgames too. I've written a couple of modules and introduced 4 newcomers this year alone.
-More movies, and the wife even got me to sit through True Blood, and it wasn't half bad.
-More time with my family (though I used to play DDO with the family). This summer we've been on trips canoeing, mushroom hunting, hiking picnics, and we've gone to 3 different county fairs.
-More woodworking - I designed and built several custom pieces this summer, and bought a new band saw.
-More gardening - with better attention to pruning I got a bumper crop of pears and peaches this year, and my grape vines are so loaded some are breaking. My tomatoes and cucumbers both sucked this year, but meh, can't win them all.
-Less stress about sucking in DDO - I'm pretty gimp now, but I don't care anymore. I don't care if I don't get gear that my build "needs", I don't care if I don't understand the current synergies, and I don't care if I can't handle even Heroic Elite at level. I putter through a few quests when my friends are available, and if we die or even wipe entirely we can just drop quest and play a different game. There is no point buying spell point pots or even new adventure packs or classes. We poke around a bit and log off. It's still fun, but in a much less intense way.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:33pm
Print Post  

LOLWUT?

WHERE DO YOU GET SEX FOR $9/MONTH?  I THINK BRAZZERS COSTS MORE THAN THAT.

FUNNY.  I PLAY DDO AT NIGHT BECAUSE IT MAKES ME SLEEPY.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 11:42pm
Print Post  

-No lag in real world

Give it a few months or years and you will pine for those DDO times and reminisce how good it used to be....    Undecided

How cheap that Alienware laptop is compared to jewellery, dresses, dinners, holidays etc.
Working out the real cost of having sex and realising the diminishing returns - the inverse relationship between the more $'s you invest, the less you seem to get.....
Having some say in YOUR sleep patterns.
Wishing you were allowed to wear a headset and read forums.
Forgetting what a dice looks like....

You'll see, just you wait until the honeymoon period is over.....
Undecided

Good luck mate!    Grin

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 12:17am
Print Post  
missed: Not spending time on DDO-themed forums.  OH WAIT.

IP Logged

Coasterhops
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 1:00am
Print Post  
I had a 7 month break, then played for 1 month, had another 7 month break and have been back now about three months.

A break from DDO is sometimes the best thing to reinvigorate DDO!

But anyway real life is cool too....

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 2:16am
Print Post  
At one time it was like a second job. Now I'm playing only 1-2 hours a week for fun and to chat with friends. Like it this way.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Why I don't have to quit DDO to improve anything:

- Didn't play DDO more than one to two evenings a week, so it is still fun to me.
- I didn't grind anything ever (but two torches and that was fun) Duped everything I needed and don't care for the rest.
- Got a good guild and don't run much outside the guild
- I have ten toons, but I only play whatever got boosted by Turbine recently. No need to get mad about my lackluster cleric atm. No need for "buff me" and "nerf them" threats either.
- DDO kind of saves money for me because an evening with DDO is cheaper than most other things I do when I have some time and need to relax.
- My wife is fine with DDO. When I play she can watch StarTreck on the widescreen or sing karaoke with her girls, thanks god for gamer headphones.

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

totally
DQ Assaulter

Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 4:59am
Print Post  
string table error, tableDID wrote on Sep 10th, 2015 at 3:12am:
DDO kind of saves money for me because an evening with DDO is cheaper than most other things I do when I have some time and need to relax.

This. It's much cheaper than dinner out, or heading to the pub for a pool evening. Waaaaaay cheaper than seeing a fillum these days, and certainly less expensive emotionally than trying to convince my partner to fuck me (it's much better when I'm playing DDO as she gets annoyed about being ignored and struts into my man-cave wearing her sexy-fun-times get-up, "Not now honey, I'm on the TR train, choo choo!").

Having said all that, it's easy to get burn-out, I tend to basically come back whenever there's enough new content to justify it, stick around until I've run all of it at least a couple of times, and then get bored again for a few months, or get distracted by something else. Last time was Dark Souls 2. I suspect I'll probably be around until Fallout 4 comes out at the end of the year.

IP Logged

Past 7 days
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2015 at 4:57am by »  

IP Logged

RemRemi
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
The indications of the ranger pass to come, make me think I will be contributing to this list soon, something like:

/Not having to see how broken my ranger toons are after waiting two years for a class pass on them.

Wink

IP Logged

Bigdickrichguy
Horoluth Raider

I'm gunna put my dick<br
/>in your vag.<br />

Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post  

-No lag in real world

I understand your post to mean that you are fully hooked on DDO and currently playing, albeit in state of denial.

Also that you are having no sex whatsoever.

IP Logged

gawker
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 2:38am
Print Post  
-Not having a heart attack about the quality of the ranger pass.
-Not having a active DDO ranger
-Not feeling compelled to explain how the DWS is the soul of the ranger class within the source material
-Getting to see and touch actual boobs! (not just my own either.)
-Not having to collect all the shit new loot to get the 2-3 good items
-Not having to play during Cove!
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2015 at 2:39am by gawker »  

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #21 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 8:00am
Print Post  
I am sitting the house of my parents in law this weekend in the Westerwald, that is kind of Germanys Scotland. People speak with strange accent and it's raining cats and dogs. Nothing to do here all day long but plundering the huge fridge, watching netflix and playing DDO. I am still quite happy with it. And the free beer helps with cove and the bitching about a unneeded class. With mechanic and a bunch of good other TWF options around who needs a fucking (pure) ranger anyway? For their survival skills? Hide and seek? The wilderness areas?
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2015 at 8:02am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint