Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Perfect SWF and Shield Vorpal Range? (Read 2960 times)
Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Perfect SWF and Shield Vorpal Range?
Sep 18th, 2015 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Been trying to plan out a nice bard/fighter/rogue build. My main interest was in creating a solid DPS character using the SWF line and swashbuckler seemed like the best route to go to do that. I started looking at some of the mixes though (pure, rogue splash, rogue fighter splash) and noticed the level 6 stalwart core in fighter:

Quote:
Overbalance: Your shields gain On Vorpal: Knock an opponent to the ground.

Not sure if there's enough there to build for it (would need at least 11 points in SD and Vanguard both at a minimum) but just curious if the shield's vorpal would be 19-20 while swashbuckling with perfect single weapon fighting before I waste the time trying to figure out a good layout for that build.

Also, I'm thinking that with the class split there int to hit (8 points in Harper for the to-hit and KTA) and int to damage from Different Tack would be the way to go. KTA would give a nice boost to Stunning Shield if you're int-based and the skill points would be easy to work out for trapping. Outstanding Reflex saves from Insightful Reflexes would be icing on the cake.

I've seen some other builds like this but none that went that deeply into fighter to gain the knockdown on vorpal so curious what the thoughts from those more experienced with building are on this.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2015 at 1:37pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Perfect SWF and Shield Vorpal Range?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
So far I've worked out that this build would work decently on a PDK but human is better due to allowing you to take Rogue at 1. Still looking at optimal level order (will depend on feats/skills) but the feats aren't tight and can be taken to taste. With 7 heroic feats, 4 fighter feats, and 1 human feat there's plenty to go around. Main feats would be SWF line (3), Shield Mastery Line (2), Improved Shield Bash, Precision, Insightful Reflexes, and Improved Crit Pierce. That would leave 3 heroic feats as well as one epic feat at level 24 that wouldn't be locked in to a particular epic feat. I could see arguments made for Quicken, Extend, Maximize, Emp. Heal, Empower, Weapon Focus: Piercing, Weapon Specialization: Piercing, and Sap (Sap + Coupe = dead enemy and they share the same 15 second CD). Probably a damage-focused build would take WF, WS, Quicken, and then one other to taste, while someone not sweating the last few percent of damage would have a lot more flexibility to fit in other feats.

Skills I haven't made it very far on yet but on a no-tome, 32-point PDK there's no problems at all maxing Balance, Jump, Perform, UMD, Disable, Search, and Heal (half points). There were plenty of points left to almost max Open Lock if the leveling order was optimized for it as well. I could see Bluff being handy to the build and honestly on a toon with decent tomes you're going to have plenty of skill points to hit up whatever your pet skills are.

Enhancements are the next sticking point but really all I can see that are necessary are about 34 points in Swash, 11 each in SD/Van, 8 in Harper, and 2 in Human/PDK. That's really tight for fitting in anything else (only 14 points) but seems doable.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
so.. do you plan to only shield bash? thats how that effect works. your shield must roll a vorp to know opponent down.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Wouldn't it have a chance of proc'ing on your off-hand shield attacks that happen from Improved Shield Bash (20% chance base from the feat) that gets bumped up to 40% chance by Vanguard Core III? That's still a shield bash...it just automatically happens when you make your normal weapon attack.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Sep 19th, 2015 at 4:49pm:
Wouldn't it have a chance of proc'ing on your off-hand shield attacks that happen from Improved Shield Bash (20% chance base from the feat) that gets bumped up to 40% chance by Vanguard Core III? That's still a shield bash...it just automatically happens when you make your normal weapon attack.

So, you want to make a build around the offchance that you get a shield bash, on top of the offchance of rolling a vorpral ? why not just use stunning blow with no str to get the DC, its just as effective. ^-^

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 1:47am
Print Post  
I would assume not. Improved Critical Bludgeoning doesn't even apply to shields.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 3:34am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 20th, 2015 at 1:47am:
I would assume not. Improved Critical Bludgeoning doesn't even apply to shields.

What the fuck does crit range on a shield, have to do with weather or not building for the knockdown effect on a 20 with shield bash is viable?

Do you even read the shit you post in.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Sep 20th, 2015 at 3:34am:
What the fuck does crit range on a shield, have to do with weather or not building for the knockdown effect on a 20 with shield bash is viable?

Do you even read the shit you post in.

It's the same reason we can't TWF with a shield + weapon. The game does not historically apply anything good to shields. You know, answering his only question:

Quote:
just curious if the shield's vorpal would be 19-20 while swashbuckling with perfect single weapon fighting before I waste the time trying to figure out a good layout for that build

He didn't ask if it was viable, so you can fuck off.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 8:43am
Print Post  
I have such a build: 15bard/3fighter/2rogue SWF Trapper with most points in Swashbuckler and Vanguard. I use lowblow, stunning shield and sap (sap+coup de grace=dead mob as sap has no DC and coup uses you perform) I swaped perfet SWF for perfect TWF.

The glancing blows from Celestia and the shild bashes boost your Exploit Weaknesses for more crits. It is still possible to get improved shield mastery twist without the shildmastery feats useing a lesser heart.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2015 at 8:44am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Sep 19th, 2015 at 7:16pm:
So, you want to make a build around the offchance that you get a shield bash, on top of the offchance of rolling a vorpral ? why not just use stunning blow with no str to get the DC, its just as effective. ^-^

No, it's more that I have a lot of builds that I'm considering playing after the one I'm on and the offchance of rolling a 19-20 vorpal shield strike rather than a 20 vorpal shield strike either on the automatic attacks or the triggered ones might be the difference in me trying out this build or going with an entirely different one for my next life.

string table error, tableDID wrote on Sep 20th, 2015 at 8:43am:
I have such a build: 15bard/3fighter/2rogue SWF Trapper with most points in Swashbuckler and Vanguard. I use lowblow, stunning shield and sap (sap+coup de grace=dead mob as sap has no DC and coup uses you perform) I swaped perfet SWF for perfect TWF.

The glancing blows from Celestia and the shild bashes boost your Exploit Weaknesses for more crits. It is still possible to get improved shield mastery twist without the shildmastery feats useing a lesser heart.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was looking at building but I wanted to max out survivability so I was taking the shield feats. Kind of wanting a character that can easily handle self-healing tanking duties, trapping, and some general buffing as well. I like the idea of doing PSWF on a utility build like that to raise how often you can neg-level trash (though the value of neg's in a lot of content is also iffy given the damage a lot of builds put out which is another strike against the plan). Glad to hear the part about Sap though...I was debating whether or not to fit that in - played around with Bluff + Sap on an assassin a long time ago and it sounds like it's just as good as I remember it. Smiley

The Celestia glances sound great while leveling and on end-game skele's, etc, but I'd have to think a TF light pick would blow it away on anything else regardless of the glances...am I underestimating those glancing blows though?

Honestly the 15/3/2 is a nice middle ground between a tank-focused trapper and a full bard. I'd be able to take other feats at 24/28 (including both PSWF and PTWF) as I wouldn't have a reason to spend feats on the song-boosting feats you're probably taking there, but at the same time I wouldn't be getting those nice abilities either. Do you feel like you could tank some of the EE raids (specifically the dragons in TF) on the 15/3/2? The build has so much going for it at 15/3/2 that it if could pull off the tanking I think the 3 added bard levels would push it ahead for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint