Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Race pass sneaky nerf (Read 2098 times)
Lord Ram
Ex Member

Race pass sneaky nerf
Mar 25th, 2017 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
I TR'd into a Dwarf thrower last night and by this afternoon I realized something that kinda sucks.

From the release notes: Quote:
-Dwarf Fortress now works when wielding a Thrown Weapon with your Shield.
-Bonus to damage is now a unique bonus to Melee and ranged Power

I was pretty happy that I could finally use fortress with throwing weapons, and I was excited by the 'unique' bonus. But in practice it turns out that while the race pass gives it also takes away. You end up with 7 melee power & 7 ranged power, even unique it's not big deal as soon as you get to anything over level 7 and a character's aggregate MP and RP numbers are large enough that an additional 7 is pretty meh. If it had been a unique 7% that would have made some real impact. Similarly the hands of stone works pretty well now but being tied to a dragonmark and using dragonmark charges leave it still really gimpy.

It's a pretty good illustration of the developers seeing change was needed in a race but pulling back from the brink to avoid making something OP and ending up leaving it changed but still rather underpowered compared to the other races. Since SSG have stated they won't return to races it's pretty much set in stone because they can point out that some changes were made and leave it at that.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: Race pass sneaky nerf
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Until dwarves themselves become ammunition, I will remain uninterested.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:54am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Looks like a critical miss.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Beer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I was pretty happy that I could finally use fortress with throwing weapons, and I was excited by the 'unique' bonus. But in practice it turns out that while the race pass gives it also takes away. You end up with 7 melee power & 7 ranged power, even unique it's not big deal as soon as you get to anything over level 7 and a character's aggregate MP and RP numbers are large enough that an additional 7 is pretty meh. If it had been a unique 7% that would have made some real impact. Similarly the hands of stone works pretty well now but being tied to a dragonmark and using dragonmark charges leave it still really gimpy.

It's a pretty good illustration of the developers seeing change was needed in a race but pulling back from the brink to avoid making something OP and ending up leaving it changed but still rather underpowered compared to the other races. Since SSG have stated they won't return to races it's pretty much set in stone because they can point out that some changes were made and leave it at that.

meh, I barely noticed

Sock of WonderfulFoppyBint
Stockholm Syndrome victim of the Sock Master
Minion of the Lego-stepper Strake
Defender of Fairy Farts

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint