Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic U34 thrower build (Read 6565 times)
DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: U34 thrower build
Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:07am:
T5 in Kensei was great on trash in my experience, and brutally slow on red names. YMMV.

If you want to run in Fury and don't take Sniper Shot...I'm sorry but you don't know what you're doing or you're a casual. Ditto losing Slayer Arrow.

The SA damage build you mention is strong'ish, and very good for consistent DPS output. It totally lacks the burst of a proper Fury build IMO. It would have something like a 50-60 second red kobold time, I would guess. 5Foot may have tested something similar, and will probably claim 38 seconds or something.

1.  It is great on trash, it is slow on red names, but properly built no more so than a repeater.
2.  If you run in Fury you should have Sniper Shot, Slayer Arrow or both.  It is OK to not have Sniper but only have Slayer, IMO.
3.  Quite right, and I would guess somehting along the lines of 45-50 seconds based on game play.  It may however melt trash faster dpending on how fast your Adrenalines regen.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:07am:
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:25am:
That I disagree with as I don't like giving up 10k which you need 6 Monk for....
All the fighter active shots work with shuriken.
Racial AA + Kensai crit + Assasin's Trick is quite strong.
Tier 5 in Kensai is functional for Fury (x4 crit w/ A Good Death), but doesn't allow you to swap to bows with the active shots as it only works with chosen foucs.
Tier 5 NS + Kensai crit +Mech and Assasin wrecks shit in Shadowdancer.

T5 in Kensei was great on trash in my experience, and brutally slow on red names. YMMV.

If you want to run in Fury and don't take Sniper Shot...I'm sorry but you don't know what you're doing or you're a casual. Ditto losing Slayer Arrow.

The SA damage build you mention is strong'ish, and very good for consistent DPS output. It totally lacks the burst of a proper Fury build IMO. It would have something like a 50-60 second red kobold time, I would guess. 5Foot may have tested something similar, and will probably claim 38 seconds or something.

10ks is definitely sweet, but I don't consider it a "core" requirement for a shuri build.  You can run a perfectly viable shuri build without 10ks.   Hard to build one that's not junk without ANT and shuriken expertise though.

It's good to know that the Kensai stuff is all working with shurikens now.  May have to tinker with that at some point. 

While Assassin's Trick is decent, I could take or leave it and don't really think it's worth splashing 6 rogue.  For mobs that are 100% immune to SA without Assassin's Trick, that's what Adrenalined Sniper Shots are for.

I ran a SA focused shuri build in Shadowdancer.  It was really good at killing trash, but sucked at bosses and burst damage.  FotW shuri builds may be less trash DPS but they're still more than enough plus they wreck red nameds unlike Shadowdancers.

I agree with Jak that giving up Sniper Shot is a really bad choice.  Sniper Shot is a baby Slaying Arrow every 6s.  I'd give up Slaying Arrow before Sniper Shot, hands down. 

I ran a 12 ranger, 6 monk, 2 fighter T5 DWS shuri without Slaying Arrow for a while and it was really, really good.  The crit threat range from the lvl 12 DWS core made up a bit of the difference versus Slaying Arrow.  Head Shot + Merciful Shot was also a really nice combo.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2017 at 1:43pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Minor quibble here... when using Snpier Shot without Kensai crit (like the above Ranger based ex) you get a x4 crit and the 2W.  With a Good Death you get x4 crit (1 from good death 1 from kensai core) and 500 daamage under 30% health scaling with range power.  It's not that much different.  Sniper Shot does have a shorter cool down though.

I'm not saying Sniper Shot is bad or Kensai shots are better, just saying it's closer than most advertise.

At the end of the day high doubleshot + high DEX is greater than almost any other abilities when it comes to throwing.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2017 at 2:22pm by DoRayEgon »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #28 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 2:19pm:
Minor quibble here... when using Snpier Shot without Kensai crit (like the above Ranger based ex) you get a x4 crit and the 2W.  With a Good Death you get x4 crit (1 from good death 1 from kensai core) and 500 daamage under 30% health scaling with range power.  It's not that much different.  Sniper Shot does have a shorter cool down though.

I'm not saying Sniper Shot is bad or Kensai shots are better, just saying it's closer than most advertise.

At the end of the day high doubleshot + high DEX is greater than almost any other abilities when it comes to throwing.

Or just roll with both.  Here's a quick theory crafted T5 Kensai theory-crafted shuriken build put together while considering what could be done with the Kensai stuff.  Little less red named DPS due to the lack of Slaying Arrow, but should be really good trash DPS due to all the activated attacks and the increased threat range and multi.

Fighter Monk Ranger
8/6/6 Fighter/Ranger/Monk
Lawful Good Elf

Level Order

1. Ranger          6. Ranger         11. Monk           16. Fighter
2. Ranger          7. Monk           12. Monk           17. Fighter
3. Ranger          8. Monk           13. Fighter        18. Fighter
4. Ranger          9. Monk           14. Fighter        19. Fighter
5. Ranger         10. Monk           15. Fighter        20. Fighter

Stats
               36pt     Tome     Level Up
               ----     ----     --------
Strength         8       +7       4: DEX
Dexterity       20       +7       8: DEX
Constitution    14       +7      12: DEX
Intelligence     8       +7      16: DEX
Wisdom          16       +7      20: DEX
Charisma         8       +7      24: DEX
                                 28: DEX

Feats

1        : Point Blank Shot
1 Ranger : Favored Enemy: Undead
3        : Quick Draw
5 Ranger : Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
6        : Precision
7 Monk   : Shuriken Expertise
8 Monk   : Zen Archery
9        : Improved Critical: Thrown
9 Monk   : Path of Harmonious Balance
12        : Master of Forms
12 Monk   : Ten Thousand Stars
13 Fighter: Improved Precise Shot
14 Fighter: Weapon Focus: Thrown
15        : Quicken Spell
16 Fighter: Weapon Specialization: Thrown
18        : Grandmaster of Forms
18 Fighter: Dodge
20 Fighter: Mobility
21 Epic   : Overwhelming Critical
24 Epic   : Combat Archery
26 Destiny: Epic Spell Power: Force
27 Epic   : Blinding Speed
28 Destiny: Doubleshot
29 Destiny: Harbinger of Chaos
30 Epic   : Epic Reflexes
30 Legend : Scion of: Arborea

Spells
  • Ram's Might, Magic Fang

Enhancements (80 AP)

Kensei (34 AP)
  • Kensei Focus: Martial Arts, Spiritual Bond, Strike with No Thought
  • Extra Action Boost III, Weapon Group Specialization
  • Weapon Group Specialization, Ascetic Training: Contemplation III
  • Critical Mastery III, Weapon Group Specialization, Shattering Shot III, Dexterity
  • Strike at the Heart, Dexterity
  • A Good Death: Range, One with the Blade, Deadly Shot, Keen Edge

Arcane Archer (24 AP)
  • Arcane Archer[list=1]
  • Conjure Arrows, Energy of the Wild III, Shock Arrows
  • Force Arrows III, Elemental Damage
  • Elemental Damage, Dexterity
  • Elemental Damage, Dexterity

Deepwood Stalker (11 AP)
  • Far Shot, Sneak Attack, Sniper Shot[list=1]
  • Stealthy III, Increased Empathy II
  • Melee/Range Power Boost III

Ninja Spy (11 AP)
  • Basic Ninja Training, Advanced Ninja Training, Shadow Veil[list=1]
  • Stealthy III, Sneak Attack Training
  • Agility III

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2017 at 10:45pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #29 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
DoRayEgon wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 2:19pm:

This is Really wrong.

Sniper shot is available 100% of the time, every 6s, with x2 multi, +2 Crit Threat, compliments Adrenaline.

Good Death is available 70% of the time, every 20s, with +1 multi, and 30% of the time every 20s with +1 multi and scaling RP scaling 500 damage proc (which benefits not at all from Fury).

If you're running in Fury, they don't even compare. In LD or SD, of course Good Death is much better (RP) and Sniper Shot is much less crucial.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #30 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 3:19pm:
Or just roll with both.  Here's a quick theory crafted T5 Kensai theory-crafted shuriken build put together while considering what could be done with the Kensai stuff.  Little less red named DPS due to the lack of Slaying Arrow, but should be really good trash DPS due to all the activated attacks and the increased threat range and multi.

Fighter Monk Ranger
8/6/6 Fighter/Ranger/Monk
Lawful Good Elf
...build...

I did this with my 8Monk/6Fighter/6Ranger build for a while, obviously missing out on the crit threat in t5 from only being 6 fighter. I actually finished an LE Slavers 1 solo a little bit faster than my Fury, but that was because its faster on trash, and that quest up until today was about 90% time spent on trash and running and 10% on red names (As a thrower).

It's a perfectly serviceable thrower build, but given the danger of champs and red names now, and reapers, vs. trash, I would argue the burst is more important than over on Slayer+Sniper builds.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #31 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 5:09pm:
I did this with my 8Monk/6Fighter/6Ranger build for a while, obviously missing out on the crit threat in t5 from only being 6 fighter. I actually finished an LE Slavers 1 solo a little bit faster than my Fury, but that was because its faster on trash, and that quest up until today was about 90% time spent on trash and running and 10% on red names (As a thrower).

It's a perfectly serviceable thrower build, but given the danger of champs and red names now, and reapers, vs. trash, I would argue the burst is more important than over on Slayer+Sniper builds.

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I would run that build in FotW.   The activated attacks bump up the trash DPS over a T5 AA shuri and you use Sniper Shot and Deadly Strike or Good Death (depending on mob's health) with Adrenalines and Unbridled for burst.  Maybe not quite as much burst dps as T5 AA, but would still be really good.

Main downside to the build is the lack of Abundant Step and lower 10ks dmg.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #32 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Actually, I was unclear. I also meant I ran it in Fury with T5 Kensei (though I tried it in LD for a minute too). I agree you can maintain some burst with it thanks to Sniper shots and the smaller boosts to Adrenaline from Good Death and Deadly Shot. It was in Fury in fact that I finished the solo faster than Tier 5 AA. Again, bosses were a huge pain, but trash was really easy to kill.

Its funny that on a build that gets spanked on a red name time (T5 Kensei vs T5 AA in Fury), you could solo some quests faster on the Kensei just because so much more time is spent killing trash. Reaper would change the math on this but I'm not sure it would change the outcome...probably depends on skulls and luck with champs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint