Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Monk Gear (Read 3557 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Monk Gear
Sep 1st, 2017 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Went on sale so I finally picked up the monk class.  Was planning on doing two levels barb followed by two levels of rogue, but I may do two levels of monk before rogue now that i have them.

Pretty sure most of my gear will be good for a monk, but I need some suggestions for decent robes and handwraps to look for while finishing up my barb levels.

For the most part I've been limiting myself to 3 to 4 pieces of armor and weapons per life, I'm trying to avoid cluttering up my inventory again.  So what should I be keeping an eye out for (roughly) for levels 1-5,6-12, 12 through TRish?

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Arganthonius
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Monk Gear
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
At level 12 to lvl 20 you should have either vampiric stonedust handwraps (1 hp healing per hit) or adamantine knuckles. Nothing else is worth it, imo. At lower levels there's a nice set from Three Barrel Cove. But I am not an expert in any way when it comes to DDO.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 6:39pm:
Went on sale so I finally picked up the monk class.  Was planning on doing two levels barb followed by two levels of rogue, but I may do two levels of monk before rogue now that i have them.

You ain't gonna have any levels of Monk with any levels of Barb.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:12pm:
You ain't gonna have any levels of Monk with any levels of Barb.

Wrong word, my fault.  Two barb lives followed by two rogue lives.

Arganthonius wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 9:04pm:
At level 12 to lvl 20 you should have either vampiric stonedust handwraps

The one piece of equipment I actually held on to (mostly because it can upgrade other items, but either way - I've got a pair).
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2017 at 2:41am by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
1: Eternal Rest
6: Devotion
13: Scraps of Enlightenment
various: Wraps of Endless Light

4: Frozen Tunic
10: Giantcraft Robe
12: Garments of Equilibrium
14: Black Dragonscale Robe

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 2nd, 2017 at 12:06pm:
4: Frozen Tunic
10: Giantcraft Robe
12: Garments of Equilibrium
14: Black Dragonscale Robe

Looks solid but I'm open to alternative suggestions for the black dragonscale armor.  I hit Tor every life (usually solo to gauge how well that build is holding up), but I have less than 10 black scales at this point and really don't feel like grinding them out (I'll grab them if they come up cheap on the SE, but they hardly ever show up on the AH for plat any more).

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I would wager someone on your server still has bags overflowing with dragon scales.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2017 at 2:08pm by Toke »  

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I keep seeing a set of 20 posted for 6 (30 buyout) on a regular basis.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Why is the Frozen Tunic on that list? What's so great about it?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:25pm:
Why is the Frozen Tunic on that list? What's so great about it?

Freezing Ice.

Even though the lower level tunics say "Minor" or "Lesser" they work the same as the epic version.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 5:05pm:
Freezing Ice.

Even though the lower level tunics say "Minor" or "Lesser" they work the same as the epic version.

That's handy!

Will have to grab one for my up and coming "OP as SHIT" heroic life Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 12:19pm:
I hit Tor every life (usually solo to gauge how well that build is holding up), but I have less than 10 black scales at this point and really don't feel like grinding them out (I'll grab them if they come up cheap on the SE, but they hardly ever show up on the AH for plat any more).

That's because you're gonna want WHITE robes instead.

It's a rookie mistake for people new to Monk (I did it myself).

Nothing touches them, literally. The added defense is much more valuable than "On Hit" proc effects from the black robe.

As a monk, you DON'T want to be getting hit. You don't have the PRR/MRR/HP for it. Even in Earth Stance (at least not without a lot of Past Lives).

Anithesis from Inferno is a "Poor Man's" substitute, but it works, and you may find it for sale on the AH sooner than 20 White or Black scales.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Antithesis

That much being said, if you have say... An Ancient Band or Laurel Helix, the White Robes become redundant and you can then swap to black robes.

Also, ToEE robes are good if you can upgrade them, but ideally Quicksilver Cassok from Sorrowdusk slotted with a Heavy Fort augment.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Quicksilver_Cassok

Maybe have a look at the Emmisary's Vestments:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Emissary%27s_Vestments

The Scorching Wraps from 3bc are nice, but they can be tough to farm or buy. Again, ToEE wraps are the go to.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Scorching_Wraps

Earlier on, Fanged Wraps from Tangleroot are the "Bees-Knees" until you find something sexier (Vicious is Untyped damage).

http://ddowiki.com/page/Fanged_Wraps

Honourable Mention, (also from Sorrowdusk): Skin of the Mockery. 2 slots, FTW.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Skin_of_the_Mockery

For mid to High Heroics, like above the Vampiric Stonedust Wraps are great.

Now there's also the Dwarven Brawler's Wraps if you're so inclined (more situational):

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Dwarven_Brawler%27s_Wraps

That's all that comes to mind right now...  Shocked

Edited:
Oh, and you can make Greensteel Handwraps now. Go ahead and make Lit2, Shintao cores give you all the "Metal" DR you'll want. You'll just need DR/Good to cover all the bases.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:36am by Metal-Beast »  

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Metal-Beast wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:21am:
That's because you're gonna want WHITE robes instead.

Personally I find the black armor overrated.  The extra acid boost is nice and I'd probably prefer the black if the haste kicked in more often - but I didn't see enough of the haste boost to make it worth giving up the protection of the white armor.

Problem is, as a melee the white is the hardest to solo.  I can knock the other two out without breaking a sweat, but get knocked down or frozen too much to fight and self heal with the white (since the hires tend to die within minutes of all the dragons).

I'll have to hit my guildies up for the scales...but I'm seriously considering doing a couple of purple dragon lives after I finish barb (or maybe before, not sure yet).

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:28pm:
Problem is, as a melee the white is the hardest to solo.  I can knock the other two out without breaking a sweat, but get knocked down or frozen too much to fight and self heal with the white (since the hires tend to die within minutes of all the dragons).

Dude, just post an LFM, you'll NEVER have trouble filling a TOR group. Plus each dragon drops like 3 scales on elite. Ask your party nicely, sometimes people will donate scales to the cause.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:20pm:
Dude, just post an LFM, you'll NEVER have trouble filling a TOR group. Plus each dragon drops like 3 scales on elite. Ask your party nicely, sometimes people will donate scales to the cause.

I actually like soloing it, it makes me feel hardcore Tongue 

Already getting burned out on it though, so put up a LFM last life (it's a fucking long quest to solo doing all the dragons).  Only one person joined and he died a lot.  With his hire it was enough to beat the white dragon (didn't hurt I was playing a pal and could actually rez him and his hire).  Gave him my scales though.  I'm not greedy...but apparently I am a little short sighted at times.  Never crossed my mind I'd eventually need them for a robe.  Live and learn I guess.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint